Identified! IL - Will Co., Male body in Des Plaines River, May'09 - Gary Schmidt

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beaconnews/news/talk/1590169,2_1_AU25_AUTALK_S1.article

We have not matched these remains (in the Des Plaines River) to high-profile cases and we have not ruled it out," said State Trooper Mark Dorencz. "Whether it is one of those or another disappearance, this was a person and we use all of our resources to identify them whoever they were."

Hi Paintr. Reading that aricle I had an abrupt thought. I wonder if that leg bone matches the skeleton found on Wed? They said it was related, so it could be a cursory look at the break points seemed to match to the naked eye. Maybe what they found on Sat are parts that were missing from Wed! It just seems odd that these men go to this site on Sat, need to be led in and then tell the man who took them there the bone is related to the bones found on Wed.

Also, knowing that there have been many bodies put in that river it just makes one wonder.

That was a good article with his point of view, but I didn't like his last statement about those missing who are not famous, especially after the statement from LE stated right before that. Hmmmmmmm
xox

"State police would not confirm what was found Saturday or if the items were related to the remains found earlier."]It could take two weeks to complete DNA analysis to identify the skeletal remains found Wednesday.

http://http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=6829356

Thanks Paintr, It must have been the Dow Chemical man who made that comment to the reporter. Good catch!

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/bolingbrooksun/news/1589729,More-evidence-found_JO052409.article

Snippet
" . .. A Chicago television station is reporting that it has learned that Illinois State Police have recovered additional evidence relating to a body found on the banks of the Des Plaines River in Channahon on Wednesday.

No details on the evidence were given in the CBS 2 . ."

So it came from Chicago's CBS2 TV station.

Hi Paintr. Reading that aricle I had an abrupt thought. I wonder if that leg bone matches the skeleton found on Wed? They said it was related, so it could be a cursory look at the break points seemed to match to the naked eye. Maybe what they found on Sat are parts that were missing from Wed! It just seems odd that these men go to this site on Sat, need to be led in and then tell the man who took them there the bone is related to the bones found on Wed.

Also, knowing that there have been many bodies put in that river it just makes one wonder.

That was a good article with his point of view, but I didn't like his last statement about those missing who are not famous, especially after the statement from LE stated right before that. Hmmmmmmm
xox

Hiya scandi! I am wondering a whole lot of things. :) Especially about the quotes saying it 'could' take two weeks for DNA results. I read another article this morning (and promptly lost it lol) saying that DNA results were being expedited.

I think it may take two weeks for a full report, but I believe that a preliminary report would not take so long, especially since LE has DNA from both Stacy and Lisa in hand. I think LE will know shortly, if they don't know already, if it is either of these women. Whether they will release that info immediately is another question.

Hiya scandi! I am wondering a whole lot of things. :) Especially about the quotes saying it 'could' take two weeks for DNA results. I read another article this morning (and promptly lost it lol) saying that DNA results were being expedited.

I think it may take two weeks for a full report, but I believe that a preliminary report would not take so long, especially since LE has DNA from both Stacy and Lisa in hand. I think LE will know shortly, if they don't know already, if it is either of these women. Whether they will release that info immediately is another question.

Yra Paintr, I read that too about the DNA being expedited. I think it was in the first article in the finding of the rib cage, etc, possibly from ABC local.

Back to bed I go Sweetie. Man, I have had a hard time getting to sleep lately. My body says yes, my brain says no! LOLOL

It is very confusing......barrel or container. The neighbor said blue barrel, TM said blue container.

IIRC it may have been the friend of TM's.......the one who was interviewed several times after TM confided to him about helping DP remove SP's body from the bedroom to the vehicle...............who stated that it had the metal handles and clasps.

Also the distances involved......I know I don't exactly trust exact mileages states in the news. One mile may only be 1/2 a mile actually. I think the distances are only guestimates.

I called the lockmaster at Dresden a few days ago and asked her exactly where these current remains were found and she said 10 miles East. If you look at Google, Live Maps etc. you will see that the distance is much closer than 10 miles. Perhaps 4-5 at the very most. Even closer as a crow flies.

Unless I missed something, I think the only person who's ever mentioned claps and handles on a container is Rick. The barrel vs container thing drives me batty. I wish we knew for certain which one it was.

Yra Paintr, I read that too about the DNA being expedited. I think it was in the first article in the finding of the rib cage, etc, possibly from ABC local.

Back to bed I go Sweetie. Man, I have had a hard time getting to sleep lately. My body says yes, my brain says no! LOLOL

Sleep well! Just starting my work day here. Catch up with you later. Hopefully more news will be released by then.

Does anyone know if Stacy's births were vaginally or by c-section? If by c-section, then would the ME be able to tell from the remains of the pelvis if this UID had ever given birth? This is bothering me so I had to ask. I am 5 ft, 100 lbs and the births of both of my babies were c-section.

Unless I missed something, I think the only person who's ever mentioned claps and handles on a container is Rick. The barrel vs container thing drives me batty. I wish we knew for certain which one it was.

I heard it (metal handles and clasps) very early on in the case, but not originally from RM......It was around the time TM's friend Walter M. was being interviewed and I could have sworn it came from him. And at that time the container was being called a "tote". Just my recollection tho.

respectfully snipped

I don't think anyone (but Drew) knows for sure what Stacy was placed in - blue barrel or blue container. Drew may have disposed of the barrel/container with Stacy in it, OR, the barrel or container may have only been used to transport Stacy's body from the house to wherever Drew disposed of her.

It would appear that Tom Morphey has a pretty good idea of what the container looks like, and LE has ruled out the one found in the Des Plaines River.

Hello. I'm new to this forum. Thank you in advance :eek:) for excusing me if I make a less than informed statement but is is possible that because the body seems to be, or may have been, dismembered, that 'her remains were put in to both the blue container AND the blue barrel?

Hello. I'm new to this forum. Thank you in advance :eek:) for excusing me if I make a less than informed statement but is is possible that because the body seems to be, or may have been, dismembered, that 'her remains were put in to both the blue container AND the blue barrel?
I think everyone needs to be patient and not worry about the barrel. Let's wait and first see if the DNA matches. The body is much more important than the barrel at this time!

It would seem to me that the blue cable co. box would be very identifiable--I'd never seen a blue one until this case. It just doesn't seem as if DP would throw this in the river. But, if it was in the river, what if a tramp found it? What an useful find for him! Oh, who needs a broken nightstand. Dump it out.

I lean toward the barrel as being much more anonymous. The thought of finding that box would stick in anyone's mind. A blue barrel--that's just trash.

One thing that I have always found strange is Tom Morphey's comment that he thinks he may have helped move Stacy's body. And now that this is being looked at closely again, I had the same thoughts about his comments. Here's the reason:

At the point in time when Drew asked him to help move the blue container, Stacy hadn't been reported missing. Think about it. If you visit your brother's home and he asks you to help move a container from the bedroom, it could be anything - after all, his wife was helping a relative paint. So, at what point does he think there's a body inside? And, more importantly, WHY?

I think that relatives other than Kathleen's family -such as Tom Morphey - thought that Drew murdered Kathleen. And did Tom know that Stacy & Drew were having problems? What would prompt a brother to think he had just helped his brother move his wife's body when no one knew she was deceased or missing? He had the thoughts that night BEFORE there were any suspicions. WHY?

I'm eager to hear what all you sleuthers think. And, don't think I'm questioning Tom's story, I'm not. I just wondering why a guy would have those thoughts horrible about his brother.

Thoughts anyone?

I was under the impression the additional remains found close to Dow Chemical were that of a leg bone, according to the man who walked the reporter to the area (can't recall which station.)

CBS 2 has this report of perhaps another finding?

"And they were out yesterday again when one man says they found evidence: an arm bone from shoulder to elbow. He wanted his identity withheld but praised the efforts of the volunteer searchers . . ."

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/Des.Plaines.River.2.1017836.html

Am I confused, the reporter confused, or do we now have at least two pieces of additional evidence that we know about?

I think it's more likely the victim became dismembered due to current in the river. MOO

I was under the impression the additional remains found close to Dow Chemical were that of a leg bone, according to the man who walked the reporter to the area (can't recall which station.)

CBS 2 has this report of perhaps another finding?

"And they were out yesterday again when one man says they found evidence: an arm bone from shoulder to elbow. He wanted his identity withheld but praised the efforts of the volunteer searchers . . ."

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/Des.Plaines.River.2.1017836.html

Am I confused, the reporter confused, or do we now have at least two pieces of additional evidence that we know about?
These were additional remains found over the weekend.

Very Good Leila, Do you know what the currents would be from the 55 bridge going downstream? We had a photo posted here of a bridge where it would be so easy to roll a barrel or container right off the edge as it wasn't very high.

So I'm wondering if this happened, seeing the angle of the body of water south of the bridge before it narrows out flowing south, if the container would be directed by the flow of water to the east side of the river, away from the town and have maybe been lodged there all this time until the flood broke open whatever held the remains. xox

PS: It does look more like I was thinking, up closer to the bridge.

I'm not at all familiar with the Des Plaines River (I'm in California), but from what I understand, the river flows southwestward. Looking at the Google maps of the river in that area, there's many places that would be easily accessible to a vehicle, so I don't think it would be necessary to push the barrel off of a bridge. It looks like many of the industrial sites along the river have water access, and if those sites aren't gated or guarded at night, anyone could drive into the area and not be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBMonsterFighter