GUILTY IL - Willow Long, 7, Watson, 8 Sept 2013 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
IOW, since her daughter was murdered, we should ignore she gave LE wrong information to try to make herself look like a better mother leading to hundreds of manpower hours from several LE departments (tax payer $$), fire and rescue dept (tax payer $$) and volunteer searchers who endured the heat and humidity searching for Willow putting their own life at risk?

It's hardly been ignored that she lied, charge or no charge, it's public knowledge now. All I'm saying is that I don't see how having her convicted for withholding details is going to punish her any further, act as a deterrent, or serve any public good. If she was trying to make herself look like a better mother, well look how that turned out for her. How does Willow's Mum end up copping so much blame for the expenses of searching? I tend to think it was the murder and subsequent actions by the uncle that led to so much effort being put in to find Willow. I'm definitely an outsider to this so maybe that changes my perspective somewhat. I'm not defending her choices in the least, I just can't see what purpose it serves to pursue this charge against her.

--snipped--

How does Willow's Mum end up copping so much blame for the expenses of searching? I tend to think it was the murder and subsequent actions by the uncle that led to so much effort being put in to find Willow. I'm definitely an outsider to this so maybe that changes my perspective somewhat. I'm not defending her choices in the least, I just can't see what purpose it serves to pursue this charge against her.

If Willow's mother would have told LE she had not seen her daughter since the night before when she left them in the care of her brother, imo, LE would have then turned their questions to the brother. IIRC, in the probable cause statement released to the media, LE began interviewing Justin around 11:00 p.m. and was officially arrested 6-7 hours after the interview began. Hmm 6-7 hours after she was reported missing, would have been Sunday evening? But that did not happen because LE had false information.

This area is small town USA. Their agencies work on a very small budget. A child was missing. They did not hold back and brought in the necessary personnel and equipment to search for a missing child because that is how we work in small town USA....we will worry about the budget after we find the child. Now because of the expenses of a two day search, I am sure their coffers are slim for the remaining fiscal year.

At anytime she could have told LE the truth, but she opted not to open her mouth. I am sorry. I just have no patience for these 'parents' who lie when a child is missing. I am crawling off my soap box now. :scared:

jmo

IOW, since her daughter was murdered, we should ignore she gave LE wrong information to try to make herself look like a better mother leading to hundreds of manpower hours from several LE departments (tax payer $$), fire and rescue dept (tax payer $$) and volunteer searchers who endured the heat and humidity searching for Willow putting their own life at risk?

Unless she knew what her brother had done, which I do not believe she knew, those searches would have still happened, no matter if she told the truth. If she was out all night and partying, or slept in and didn't tend to the kids, neither of those would have affected the way the case played out. I think people need to be angry with the murderer, not distracted by the charges against her. Jmo.

the timeline as I understand it is that mom went out in the evening around 8pm leaving her kids with brother.

During the night sometime shortly after 10:30 pm, as mom was out, brother killed Willow and left 3 yr old at house alone while he went out and disposed of Willow where she was ultimately found. He returned to the house.

Mom returned to the house in the early morning hours and did not set eyes on the children but went to bed.

LE were called to report Willow missing at around 10:40am, Uncle Justin opted to head out for work an hour early rather than stick around and assist with the search. He was present went his sister discovered Willow missing is how it sounds, but left during or shortly after the 911 call was made.

police report at the link (scroll to below article) http://fox2now.com/2013/09/11/new-details-emerge-in-death-of-willow-long/

My own take is that mom lied because she

a) did not want LE to delve too deeply into her activities while away from the house during the initial investigation of her missing daughter and thought it was safe to take Justin's word that the children were there and fine and all had gone well the previous night.

b) she wanted to not appear to be a mom sleeping off a hangover (I don't think this one is my first theory though. Her brother, the kids uncle was there, at the house getting ready for work. Why shouldn't she sleep off a hangover with a trusted relative adult in the home helping wrangle the kids??)

Yes, Willow paid the ultimate price. And I think a child's death is pretty much the ultimate price for a parent as well. In those cases you mentioned, the parent's neglect directly caused their child's death. Willow's mum hasn't been charged with anything that contributed to Willow's death afaik. I just don't see the point in convicting her for withholding information if her motive was something foolish like hiding the night out drinking from her parents. I can't see the benefit in punishing her because it's not as if she has much more to lose. If losing her children doesn't make her address her choices, I doubt this charge will. And I can't see anyone looking at her and thinking she got away with anything so lying to police is a good idea. I'd rather see her mandated to counselling or parenting classes than any punitive measures. If she had any knowledge or contribution to what really happened, my opinions are completely different.

TOTALLY agree.

Also, was she able to post bail, does anyone know?

I do have a problem with Willow's mother lying when being questioned about the last time she saw Willow...

I do not think we have a choice to pick and choose when we are going to tell the truth when being questioned by the law...

We do not know what she said specifically...

We do not know if she told lies about other parts of the situation..

If she lied about seeing her child the morning she disappeared... She may have lied, and may be continuing to lie about other aspects...

How do we know that she did not have suspicions about her brother acting inappropriately?

If she had not been caught in her lies... Would she have told the truth eventually? We do not know this...

Excusing this behavior when a child is missing... Regardless if she knew the extent of the danger the child was facing... Leads to continued deceptive behavior...as lying selectively becomes acceptable...

JMO

Bryan Kibler, Effingham County's state's attorney, said he believes DeRyke did not participate in the killing or any efforts to conceal it but lied to investigators about seeing her daughter to appear to be a better mother, covering for the fact she had been out the night of the killing.

"She was trying to make herself look like a better parent," Kibler said.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/Mom-charged-with-obstruction-after-girl-s-death-5050811.php

No sinister motive here...

In a missing persons case when a parent is lying to police about any information, it becomes hard to believe anything they say, regardless of their involvement. I've followed cases where the stupidest things were lied about, when bigger lies were told it started creating doubt in any of the information provided by the parent. Even making ones question the date the child went missing.

It's uber frustrating when parents lie during an investigation, imagine how much more irritating and time wasting it is when you are the detectives in the case.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/Mom-charged-with-obstruction-after-girl-s-death-5050811.php

Bryan Kibler, Effingham County's state's attorney, said he believes DeRyke did not participate in the killing or any efforts to conceal it but lied to investigators about seeing her daughter to appear to be a better mother, covering for the fact she had been out the night of the killing.

"She was trying to make herself look like a better parent," Kibler said.

No sinister motive here...

Key word "believes".
That's his perception. Mine is not necessarily the same. Only Ciara knows why she lied and any reason she gives now I personally won't believe her. That's what happens when you lie. Especially about something so significant and about your child.

JMO

I think he believes what he believes based on the evidence he has reviewed.

I feel so sorry for the parents. Their one and only 'good child' of their family has admitted his guilt in the very sadist killing of their grandchild and now the daughter charged with drug offences and lying to the police. They are not young. They should be winding down their lives and enjoying some retirement time together, instead they have been thrown into a nightmare that looks like it is never ending. My prayers go out to them in this heartbreaking time. I personally think the father needs a lot of help. He is not handling this at all. But then, who would?

There was to be a pre-trial hearing 1/9, but that has been pushed back to 2/2/14. Therefore, trial (as expected) will also be pushed back. Summer, at the earliest. IMO, that won't happen.

SA Brian Kibler apologized for this delay, but they have not gotten the reports back from IL State Police.

Willow Long Case Archive:

http://s296.photobucket.com/user/cr...6&page=1&_suid=138949661288103067803405267267

Thanks for the update, Amanda!

2-2-14 is a Sunday... Odd day for a pre-trial hearing...

:waitasec:

VA has the death penalty, and I wouldn't mind helping put someone out of their misery...even though they live in IL. Was thinking of Willow yesterday and decided to see how court was going. Just saw her Mom has been arrested, so off to read up!

There was to be a pre-trial hearing 1/9, but that has been pushed back to 2/2/14. Therefore, trial (as expected) will also be pushed back. Summer, at the earliest. IMO, that won't happen.

SA Brian Kibler apologized for this delay, but they have not gotten the reports back from IL State Police.

Willow Long Case Archive:

http://s296.photobucket.com/user/cr...6&page=1&_suid=138949661288103067803405267267

Hopefully, when all the reports are back, "mom" will be charged with more. Like obstructing justice, child endangerment, etc. Amazing that anyone thinks it's a-ok for a mother to lie about their missing child to LE. Sickening. :twocents:

I feel bad for the parents too. They are long haul truck drivers which is hard, grueling work and they are not young, and going through this nightmare must be awful for them.

Ciara DeRyke Pleads Guilty to Obstructing a Peace Officer

http://www.thexradio.com/news/78-lo...-pleads-guilty-to-obstructing-a-peace-officer

DeRyke was placed on 18 months probation including 120 days in Effingham County Jail. However, she qualifies for day-for-day good time and has already served 51 days in jail, meaning she will be released next Thursday, February 6.

Assistant State's Attorney Scott Ealy prosecuted the matter since State's Attorney Bryan Kibler is home ill. Ealy said the outcome is "fair and appropriate because a conviction was entered. Today is a sad day just as it was sad in September. It also recognizes that a woman lost her daughter and that she had no involvement in that."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rythmico
Back