Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #1 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chinese media is reporting that some bigtime hotshot investigator came out of retirement to help on the case. He supposedly worked on the JonBent Ramsey case, watergate, Robert Kennedy assassination, OJ Simpson trial, etc He is a forensics expert who teaches at prestigious Chinese university.

I doubt this is true, I forget the guy's name but it looked like it was Harry something or other.
Anyone else hearing about a famous investigator put on the case?

Chinese-born US forensic scientist reportedly in hunt for missing Chinese student

Henry Chang-Yu Lee, who was born in Rugao in Jiangsu Province, is one of the world's foremost forensic scientists and founder of the Henry C. Lee Institute of Forensic Science. In the past the 78-year-old has been involved in investigating several significant cases such the assassination of John F. Kennedy, the 'Watergate scandal', and the '9/11' terror attacks.

It's understood he will be helping in the search for 26-year-old Zhang Yingying, who was a month into studying at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC).

Chinese media is reporting that some bigtime hotshot investigator came out of retirement to help on the case. He supposedly worked on the JonBent Ramsey case, watergate, Robert Kennedy assassination, OJ Simpson trial, etc He is a forensics expert who teaches at prestigious Chinese university.
I doubt this is true, I forget the guy's name but it looked like it was Harry something or other.
Anyone else hearing about a famous investigator put on the case?
Henry Chang-Yu Lee: http://chinaplus.cri.cn/news/china/9/20170618/6574.html

Chinese-born US forensic scientist reportedly in hunt for missing Chinese student

Henry Chang-Yu Lee, who was born in Rugao in Jiangsu Province, is one of the world's foremost forensic scientists and founder of the Henry C. Lee Institute of Forensic Science. In the past the 78-year-old has been involved in investigating several significant cases such the assassination of John F. Kennedy, the 'Watergate scandal', and the '9/11' terror attacks.
It's understood he will be helping in the search for 26-year-old Zhang Yingying, who was a month into studying at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC).

Yes! I just found it a minute ago and ninja-edited my post!

Zhang texted the building's property manager at 1.30pm, saying that she was going to be late to the appointment. Five minutes later she got on a city bus and exited it at 1.52pm — a mile away from the building she was supposed to be going to.

Campus police say surveillance video released by the FBI shows her standing under a tree on Goodwin Avenue, four blocks away from the bus stop, before a black Saturn Astra vehicle pulls up.

Zhang can then be seen approaching the passenger side of the car, appearing to speak with someone in the car before voluntarily getting inside at 2.04pm. The car then drives off.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lp-missing-Chinese-scholar.html#ixzz4kYrUvQYJ

[video=twitter;877167375824678912]https://twitter.com/UIPD/status/877167375824678912[/video]

[video=youtube;bAtSlk9iYj0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAtSlk9iYj0[/video]

[video=twitter;876979167828602880]https://twitter.com/DatelineNBC/status/876979167828602880[/video]

[video=twitter;877210909134827520]https://twitter.com/FBISpringfield/status/877210909134827520[/video]

Two Separate Rewards Try To Attract Information On Zhang Disappearance

It was initially reported that the money raised through [redacted] would also help Zhang's family with living expenses during their time in the US. But U of I spokeswoman Robin Kaler says the family has insisted that all of the money raised go toward a reward. Kaler says the university is providng housing for the family while they are here, and that the Chinese Students and Scholars Association on Campus is assisting with meals.

There was some mention that investigators were looking in to whether Ms Zhang called an Uber/Lyft service for a ride. Does anyone know if this has been confirmed? If so, it would seem an easy trace to find out who the driver was, but I was wondering if it is possible with these services for others besides the passenger and driver to see who needs a ride? This may be off the wall, but I was thinking of somebody impersonating the assigned driver intercepting her for nefarious purposes.

Regarding Champaign County Crime Stoppers' $40,000 reward:

“This is the largest award Crime Stoppers has ever granted since our inception,” said Champaign County Crime Stoppers President John Hecker. “We’ve been in the business, if you will, for more than 30 years. And I think that underscores the importance of how we are looking upon this particular case.”

The FBI is also offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to her location.

http://www.wlsam.com/news/fbi-treatiing-visiting-scholars-disappearance-as-kidnapping/

would she call for a car service being only one mile away from her destination? I used one this morning to come the 2.4 miles to work because it is 110 degrees out and I'm in heels. Otherwise, I'd walk. But wow, it felt silly needing a ride for such a short distance.

Like many of you, I am curious about the potential landlord and would like to hear he has been cleared. How easy for him or his surrogate to come pick her up as she was running late and so close to the building. Not casting suspicion, just crossing tees and dotting eyes. ;)

Zhang texted the building's property manager at 1.30pm, saying that she was going to be late to the appointment. Five minutes later she got on a city bus and exited it at 1.52pm — a mile away from the building she was supposed to be going to.

Campus police say surveillance video released by the FBI shows her standing under a tree on Goodwin Avenue, four blocks away from the bus stop, before a black Saturn Astra vehicle pulls up.

Zhang can then be seen approaching the passenger side of the car, appearing to speak with someone in the car before voluntarily getting inside at 2.04pm. The car then drives off.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lp-missing-Chinese-scholar.html#ixzz4kYrUvQYJ

I'm still really confused why they haven't said she went four blocks away "to another bus stop." As I've mentioned before, the corner she was standing on was the bus stop for the 22, which would've taken her directly to One North. I don't see any other reason why she would randomly be standing at a corner, which happened to be a bus stop, which would've taken her to the exact apartment complex she was heading to. Do they have reason to believe she was just standing at a random corner? That changes things a bit. I can see why that would lead people to believe it was planned. Like she found a spot to wait for someone. I think she realized the first bus wouldn't take her to One North so she got off that bus and walked to the other bus stop.

Perhaps she was trying to decide, may have even started walking. Looking to see if the bus was coming and weighing that with whether she should just walk the rest of the way. I believe I read it wasn't too much farther. That moment of indeciciveness (sp) was just what the person needed to talk her into getting in. IMO
Rereading my post I just want to clarify that I in NO WAY feel this was her fault.

It could have been as simple as "I work with the bus system, they are running late, hop in and I'll take you." I don't know if this was his first victim, but his predatory game is strong and well-honed.

I'm still really confused why they haven't said she went four blocks away "to another bus stop." As I've mentioned before, the corner she was standing on was the bus stop for the 22, which would've taken her directly to One North. I don't see any other reason why she would randomly be standing at a corner, which happened to be a bus stop, which would've taken her to the exact apartment complex she was heading to. Do they have reason to believe she was just standing at a random corner? That changes things a bit. I can see why that would lead people to believe it was planned. Like she found a spot to wait for someone. I think she realized the first bus wouldn't take her to One North so she got off that bus and walked to the other bus stop.
I'm with you. She is a very smart girl, and I think she knows how to read the bus stop schedule. She was exactly where she needed to be to get to where she was going.

How frequently does this bus run? She was already late so if she knew it would take time until the next bus pulled up, that might have been the reason she accepted the ride. I wonder if she told anyone where she was going and that she was late before she left.

How frequently does this bus run? She was already late so if she knew it would take time until the next bus pulled up, that might have been the reason she accepted the ride. I wonder if she told anyone where she was going and that she was late before she left.

That is a great point. In the summer it runs on a reduced schedule. I believe I read on some comments on social media that the bus was coming every half-hour and she still had a good 20 minutes to wait. Thanks for thinking of this!

Maybe that's why that spot was chosen. Counting on people being unaware that during the summer it runs on reduced schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487