Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #1 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any NFL in location of last ping from her phone?

I don't think it's a given that she knew the driver. I think he pulled up and immediately started talking to her, and somehow quickly convinced her to get into the car. Maybe he lied and said he was representing the busing system, or a flashed a fake cop badge as has been mentioned before.
Exactly what I am thinking. The attitude toward police in China might be entirely differently and she got in the car due to a badge. He probably talked to about 'cop' stuff on a fake case and just finally told her she needed to come with him and he would drive her back the apartment complex and smooth things out with the landlord. I believe he took advantage of her lack of street sense.

If this guy is local - and I'm leaning in that direction - that car is unique. Someone has to suspect something here. Any other time we have a case, we hear '...someone saw a white van [no make or model]' or...a witness saw a green or blue crown victoria or lincoln or chrysler or chevy impala [witness just knows it is a large green or blue car]. I'm thinking there is a good chance LE is going to find this guy soon. My concern is if they find him in time for Yingying's sake.

If this guy is local - and I'm leaning in that direction - that car is unique. Someone has to suspect something here. Any other time we have a case, we hear '...someone saw a white van [no make or model]' or...a witness saw a green or blue crown victoria or lincoln or chrysler or chevy impala [witness just knows it is a large green or blue car]. I'm thinking there is a good chance LE is going to find this guy soon. My concern is if they find him in time for Yingying's sake.

Exactly. And Saturn's aren't particularly popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh no, this is terrible. I feel so bad for her family.
I was also wondering about the landlord and does anyone know if he has been cleared by LE?

Yingying, is adorable and she looks so innocent and trusting, I pray she is alive and will be home safe soon.
JMO

Oh no, this is terrible. I feel so bad for her family.
I was also wondering about the landlord and does anyone know if he has been cleared by LE?

Yingying, is adorable and she looks so innocent and trusting, I pray she is alive and will be home safe soon.
JMO

We believe he landlord has been cleared, she had been texting this person so I'm sure they have been cleared by the FBI.

yingying_zhang_security_footage_image_d6057c5cc90cf43c4121e7de7cef217e.nbcnews-ux-600-700.jpg
yingying_zhang_smiling_cd0e056cd1fe67f368cc446b33816b06.nbcnews-ux-600-700.jpg

Although officials have said they do not believe there is any immediate danger to the public, they are asking anyone who may have seen something suspicious to call in, no matter how insignificant it may seem.

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/miss...-university-illinois-scholar-yingying-n774186

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/miss...-university-illinois-scholar-yingying-n774186

By now this guy has seen his car and grainy profile in the news. He isn't going to be driving that car. He might stop going to work, or whatever. I hope someone makes the connection soon.

We believe he landlord has been cleared, she had been texting this person so I'm sure they have been cleared by the FBI.

yingying_zhang_security_footage_image_d6057c5cc90cf43c4121e7de7cef217e.nbcnews-ux-600-700.jpg

Although officials have said they do not believe there is any immediate danger to the public, they are asking anyone who may have seen something suspicious to call in, no matter how insignificant it may seem.

Thank you, JerseyGirl. I didn't even know Saturn's were made anymore, silly me.

By now this guy has seen his car and grainy profile in the news. He isn't going to be driving that car. He might stop going to work, or whatever. I hope someone makes the connection soon.

Really good point which I think refutes the "they know who it is but they don't want him to know they know" theory. I don't think I've seen a Saturn Astra in my life. They are rare cars, and this is a small town. Certainly anyone affiliated with the car knows they're being sought by police. This leads me to believe that somehow LE doesn't know any details about the car or driver. That's very concerning given the amount of time since Yingying's abduction.

to understand why this girl got into a stranger's car, we have to look at it from three aspects: experience, where she came from, what perception she had on the new environment.
1. she just arrived USA in April, less than two months, I'm sure she was warned about USA's crime rate and safety issues, but she was also told that it's usually on those inner big cities. once she landed in uiuc, she saw a quiet, pleasant college town.
2. the country she came from, china is relatively safer than usa, here is the number per 100k population( Data from the internet):
China USA
Homicide 1.2 4.9
assaults 9.5 786
robberies 24 146
burglaries 90 714

you'll be less vigilant if you live in a relatively safe environment.

3. for most part, chinese have positive perception on usa(which can explain why they come here alone to study). they know that usa is the flag of free world, I'm also sure she got lots of american's help which is warm and genuine, but she forgot that there are bad apples in every country. we can be sure that she wouldn't get into anyone's car if she were in Syria or Egypt.

Exactly what I am thinking. The attitude toward police in China might be entirely differently and she got in the car due to a badge. He probably talked to about 'cop' stuff on a fake case and just finally told her she needed to come with him and he would drive her back the apartment complex and smooth things out with the landlord. I believe he took advantage of her lack of street sense.

Yes someone should notice, right? A neighbour, family member, friend ...

Unless he's from far away and the news of the abduction didn't reach there.

How she wears her hat and how she holds her rucksack makes me think she's a pretty cautious woman. Almost like she's shielding herself. That in contrast to how she seemingly without hesitance approached the car ... it doesn't fit. Again I'm thinking she might know the guy, if only casually. I know others above have said the same, just wanted to tie it to this photo.

I hope LE get a good lead soon!

If just going to sign a lease why carry something as big as a ruck sack? It's always so hard to handle large personal items on public transportation. I wonder where the information came from about her destination. Could her destination somehow figure into her disappearance?

I'm new to the discussion but the picture of the ruck sack caught my eye.

$40,000 reward offered for information in scholar kidnapping

Champaign County Crime Stoppers and University of Illinois officials say a $40,000 reward is being offered for information leading to the arrest of the person(s) involved in the apparent kidnapping of Yingying Zhang.

The reward was announced during a conference at the Illinois Fire Service Institute, and comes at the request of the Zhang family. The money for the reward was raised by the community to assist the Zhang family, but the family requested that the money be used as a reward for information that will solve this disappearance.

Crime Stoppers offers largest reward in its history for kidnapped student

Champaign County Crime Stoppers is offering $40,000 for information leading to an arrest in the case of kidnapped U of I scholar, Yingying Zhang. It's the largest in the organization's history.

Law enforcement and the University held a press conference Monday evening to make the announcement. Police say they are following leads, but can't discuss particulars about the case.

If just going to sign a lease why carry something as big as a ruck sack? It's always so hard to handle large personal items on public transportation. I wonder where the information came from about her destination. Could her destination somehow figure into her disappearance?

I'm new to the discussion but the picture of the ruck sack caught my eye.

I carry a big purse 24/7. Totally not weird for a woman to carry a lot of things. She just didn't use a purse. I didn't find it odd. I find the way she carried it odd. Super protective.

Here is some information on Yingying:

Since arriving in April, Yingying has developed a close group of friends among her fellow students. Those posting about her case on Facebook describe her as thoughtful and bright. Her disappearance has come as a shock, as several of her friends have categorized her as cautious and reserved with new people.

"She's careful; she wears her backpack on the front to avoid people stealing from her," Zink Zhang, a University of Illinois student helping spread the word about the case. Zink Zhang said he doesn’t know Yingying personally, but several of his friends do. "Her boyfriend said she's thoughtful, and she doesn't easily trust people."

Crime Stoppers President John Hecker said the reward is the largest in the organization’s 31-year history.

“We have never offered a reward of this magnitude,” he said. “But this is obviously a very heinous case.”

What sort of information are authorities looking for?

“Things that would help us would be identifying someone who was involved or somebody who was driving that vehicle, the location of the vehicle or anything that might lead us to find her whereabouts,” Hecker said.

“We have had a young lady being apprehended,” Hecker said. “Days have gone by, and we don’t know anything that has transpired. There are unique dynamics and twists and turns to this that differentiate this case from others.”

“We are following through with all the leads, and part of the process is canvassing for videos from cameras from a number of businesses throughout this community,” said UI Deputy Police Chief Tony Brown.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...reward-announced-case-missing-ui-scholar.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor