Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #1 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know who or what kind of cases but using an elaborate ruse to abduct women in broad daylight is not the MO of someone who has never done this before, in my opinion.

Done what? Kidnapped? For what purpose? It hasn't even been established, per publicly available information.

Do you think every rental car agency within a 500 mile radius, who rents that make and model of vehicle, has been contacted? I believe so. Do you think those with a felonious history, felonious convictions, sex offenders and sexual assault suspect have been contacted? Maybe not all of those individuals have been contacted; but, I'd be willing to guess that the list has been cross checked against registered owners of the make and model of vehicle. Even if a license plate(s) were not displayed on the vehicle, you'd narrow to the group you hinted at. If the vehicle was stolen, I'd guess you'd start searching for stolen Saturn's within the last month, locally. Your inquiry would move to the state and likely federal level, dependent on your findings.

Certainly, "stranger danger," with juveniles is important. Stranger abductions are uncommon at the juvenile level of kidnapping, more commonly referred to as, "abductions." A plethora of data has been compiled in these cases. This victim wasn't a child, though. This victim was vulnerable, I concur with that assessment. Outside of this, what was the suspect's goal? What if this was financially based? What if it was sexually based? At this stage, all avenues need to be discussed as possibilities.

I'm guessing you're likely correct, this suspect has had some sort of LE contact in the past. To what extent, obviously that is unknown.

The goal is to think outside the box at this stage, from every perspective. Challenge ideas, but never dismiss them.

Link to juvenile abduction data: [https://www.ojjdp.gov/pubs/249249.pdf]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't believe he was impersonating an Uber or Lyft driver only because she gets in the front. Usually people get in the back when taking a ride unless the back of the car was inaccessible. I also wonder if he drove by first, spotted her then came back around. It almost looks like she's waiting there before she would have been in his line of sight. It looks like she would be blocked by the tree and parked cars and he would have to hit the breaks if he only just saw her.

It seems like it was either a scheduled pick up, he scoped her out and looped around or it was someone she knew. None of those are exclusive either.

Is it at all possible she left with someone she knew?

I think i read here that he had circled the area at least once before stopping. If true, I'm sure the FBI isn't releasing details on that or any other footage they have.

The recent presses indicated that they have made progress but don't want the perp to learn what they are doing or what they know, so we'll probably just have to wait for her rescue and an arrest now. I hope that's what we're waiting for...

Abductions happen all the time, often resulting in a missing person who may never be found. They happen in every country of the world. The moment one has decided they are somewhere against their will, or they realize they cannot leave, that is when a situation becomes an abduction.

Define "stranger". Is it someone you've seen around but never met, someone you've met a few times but don't know them or even their name, is it a random person who's first contact with you is that encounter? I think all are "strangers".

It almost looks like there could be something in the back. Also it looks as though she is seated there at the one minute mark in the video but one second later she is not.
View attachment 118737
View attachment 118738
View attachment 118739

Thank you for posting these stills.

Anyone else see a male with dark hair and possibly a mustache in the driver seat?

IMO it's very possible the perp is of Asian descent. If he spoke in Chinese it may have caused her to put her guard down a bit and accept a ride.

My own theory as of now is that she accepted a ride- whether from someone pretending to be an uber or lyft driver (I often get in the front seat, especially if it's a Lyft Line where other passengers are meant to be picked up along the way), a casual acquaintance or someone she has seen before (maybe someone in one of her classes?) or a stranger who convinced her to take a ride (maybe he said the bus is running late, or seemed very genuine in saying he wanted to help her get to where she wanted to go).

Just the other day a train derailed by my office around 4:30 pm (rush hour). It was absolute chaos because all throughout town no one could get across the tracks for several hours. I usually take the bus home from the office, but realizing the bus couldn't pass the tracks, I got a ride. On the way home I saw people waiting at the bus stops along the bus route so I tried to tell each person I passed what was going on, that the bus wouldn't be coming and they should arrange another ride.

The reason I mention this is because the perp may have told her that there was an accident or something preventing the bus from arriving at all. Realizing she needed to get to her destination quickly, this may have enticed her to accept a ride, even from a stranger.

All IMO.

Thank you for posting these stills.

Anyone else see a male with dark hair and possibly a mustache in the driver seat?

IMO it's very possible the perp is of Asian descent. If he spoke in Chinese it may have caused her to put her guard down a bit and accept a ride.

My own theory as of now is that she accepted a ride- whether from someone pretending to be an uber or lyft driver (I often get in the front seat, especially if it's a Lyft Line where other passengers are meant to be picked up along the way), a casual acquaintance or someone she has seen before (maybe someone in one of her classes?) or a stranger who convinced her to take a ride (maybe he said the bus is running late, or seemed very genuine in saying he wanted to help her get to where she wanted to go).

Just the other day a train derailed by my office around 4:30 pm (rush hour). It was absolute chaos because all throughout town no one could get across the tracks for several hours. I usually take the bus home from the office, but realizing the bus couldn't pass the tracks, I got a ride. On the way home I saw people waiting at the bus stops along the bus route so I tried to tell each person I passed what was going on, that the bus wouldn't be coming and they should arrange another ride.

The reason I mention this is because the perp may have told her that there was an accident or something preventing the bus from arriving at all. Realizing she needed to get to her destination quickly, this may have enticed her to accept a ride, even from a stranger.

All IMO.

To me the driver looks to have a slight build, very dark hair and appears to be Asian.

I was just chatting with someone from China who believes there is more to this story. They feel it is some sort of threat for money.

I don't know about this myself. Could she have run off with someone she knew? A boyfriend/friend??? Moo.

I never ever have the feeling that human trafficking is happening, but I have that feeling here. It's possible somebody was out preying on foreign women who may not know the area well. Either way this is awful.

Done what? Kidnapped? For what purpose? It hasn't even been established, per publicly available information.

I think this person has abducted and harmed women in the past. I don't think he is known to police as a S.O. or in that way. I think he has been doing this before, unbeknownst to authorities, and when he is found, and further investigated, there will be other female victims in their teens and/or twenties from other unsolved cases.

Here's another picture angle:

saturn.gif

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fbi-search-for-visiting-chinese-scholar-is-agency-priority/

Thank you for posting this. In this image it looks as though the driver has both hands on the wheel.

Any idea how long this was taken after she got into the car? I don't see her in the passenger seat here.

It's interesting to me that the driver has both hands on the wheel and she isn't visible anymore.

I hate to say it but this leads me to believe someone else is in the car- a second perp.

That, or the driver incapacitated her immediately when she got into the car (assuming this image was taken shortly after the bus stop video). If that's the case, he must be pretty confident that she won't move - whether by sitting up and becoming visible, putting her hand on the window, or attempting to open the car door.

That's chilling. Makes me think he must have committed similar crimes in the past.

MOO

FBI: Search for missing Chinese scholar is agency priority

URBANA, Ill. - The FBI says the search for a visiting Chinese scholar missing from the University of Illinois is a national priority for the agency.

Jon Holloway, assistant special agent in charge of criminal investigation at the Springfield FBI office, discussed the FBI's efforts Thursday night at a campus meeting about 26-year-old Yingying Zhang's disappearance.

Holloway says updates are being regularly sent to the office of the FBI's acting director and U.S. field offices.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fbi-search-for-visiting-chinese-scholar-is-agency-priority/

I believe this picture is from when he was circling the area, before she got into the vehicle. My understanding was that they did not release any footage or photos from the time she was in the vehicle apart from the one we saw, when she was getting into it. I might be wrong.

The red emblem appears to be the on the grill if you look closer.

Good afternoon from southern Illinois everyone! This is my first time posting to Websleuths but Yinying's case has really resonated with me and I hope she is found safe and sound soon. I have a couple of questions/concerns I was hoping someone could answer for me. I have read various articles and through this forum but I may have missed something still so I'm sorry if these questions are repeats.

1. Who reported her missing? How was it discovered she was missing? Was it the landlord, her parents, or someone else?

2. I was on Illinois' DMV website looking at the registration section and noticed I was unable to register, get a license plate or transfer the title of a Saturn Astra. I know next to nothing about cars, and looking at Saturn's Wikipedia page they are no longer in production but shouldn't you still be able to transfer the title if you sell your car? Saturn just does not appear on the make list on the DMV's website. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. Here is the website: http://www.dmv.org/vehicle-registration.php

3. In the released surveillance video, it appears as if the bicyclist looks at Yingying talking to the driver. Has the bicyclist been contacted by LE? He may not have noticed or remember anything, but it couldn't hurt to ask. If he is a student or from the area, he must have heard of her disappearance. Has he been asked to come forward? I'm including a screenshot where it looks like he is looking at the two.
attachment.php

4. Did LE follow the car through all of the surveillance videos possible? If so, which direction did the driver go? I'm assuming they eventually got onto a highway or interstate. I think releasing that information to the public would help.

5. This is just me being whiney but how is it possible, with all of the amazing modern technology we have today, that a license plate number cannot be pulled from any of the surveillance videos? It is the same thing with the Missy Bever's case and it just infuriates me. Especially with them saying it appears a white male is driving in Yingying's case. In the released videos, I can't see anything distinguishing about the driver at all except for their hands. I'm sure there is more footage that hasn't been released, but they must be pretty confident of the driver's sex and race to be stating that. Investigators don't usually seem to give out too much information unless they are absolutely sure so as to keep the public's eye open for any possibility.

Sorry if this is formatted wrong or breaking any rules. Thanks for all the help. I hope she is reunited with her family soon.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 3.44.50 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 3.44.50 PM.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 256
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics