Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #1 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
[bbm]

where is this information please? the only things I can find is that her friends have been trying to decode her Apple i.d. and that her last phonecall was at 2:38

I guess it's possible, but according to her friends, she always tells them where she is if she's going out. One thing to remember is, her phone was't turned off immediately after she got into the car. I think they lost the signal a few hours later, maybe when her phone died. If it really was a stranger, and he did not grab her phone & smash it, then she must had texted something to someone and had told them about a nice stranger helping her, in my opinion.

[bbm]

where is this information please? the only things I can find is that her friends have been trying to decode her Apple i.d. and that her last phonecall was at 2:38
I recall someone saying at the very very beginning that her phone had pinged at the train station. This was before the video came out. Perhaps that is the direction they drove? Or maybe thats just the closest tower from where she got into the car. Really doesn't say much - this area is very easy to get around. I take one of 50 different ways across town to the gym every day. Even if they drove one way initially, it's very easy to make a few turns and be on the other side of town within 15 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don't have the link handy, but it's been posted multiple times in the thread that this particular shot was taken before Yingying was picked up. Also, when this exact image is not cartoonized, if you zoom in on a larger device you can see a watch, and him wearing a maroon sleeveless shirt.
My apologies.

[bbm]

yes and yes :yes::detective:

When I zoom in I can see some silouettes. I assume what I see in the passenger seat in the video is her bc she just got in. I've also gotten carried away and thought what I was seeing in some still shots I captured from the video were showing something that probably wasn't there at all. I think everybody just wants to help and we all see different things. Its NOT clear. What appears like a cover over the rear window may just be a pixel issue? Thought I was seeing possible ppl in the hatchback, backseat and leaning back in various stills. I think I'm just being a little over the top lol And let's just get real, the FBI would NOT post video or photo of an actual attack. I was wondering if one part of the video had been altered to blur the interior bc faces weren't visible & a possible attack was occurring from behind. Wild ideas and crazy visuals. I've been staring at this for too long the past few days [emoji5] lol I think alot of my problem is paleigonia. And in reality I'm not an inveatigator. Why on earth am I capturing stills from the video to begin with? Is this neurotic/morbid behavior or do sleuthers usually do that when video is released?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Always surprised in these cases, where a suspect vehicle model is known, that LE can’t immediately home in on a subset of ‘interesting persons’. In our digitally-interlocked world can’t a few questions, like the following, in a computer database produce a rank-ordered list in a few minutes for further inquiry?:

1) Black Saturn Astros registered in the central Illinois area (and from there outward in concentric circles)
2) BSA owners with criminal records (especially violent records)
3) male BSA owners under the age of say 60
4) any BSAs stolen recently
5) any BSAs put up for sale in last couple weeks

I realize there are LOTS of ways the answers to such searches could actually lead authorities astray, but still, you have to start somewhere. Perhaps such algorithms have been run and police just aren’t releasing any info or leads generated, hating to point fingers at innocent people — I’d think in 2-weeks time there could be a computer inventory of every black Astra in the country. Anybody know more about how this vehicle-tracing business works (or doesn’t work)?
Really hoping LE knows MUCH more than they’re saying, because they’re closing in on the perp and don’t want to spook him, but it’s been a long 2 wks.

A while back I did a rough estimate of how many BSA's might be in IL and the surrounding 4 states and came up with ~400. Doesn't take into account the population differences or wrecked cars. I'm sure LE has probably has a list. That is a LOT footwork. But still, it's been 2 weeks!

:praying:

As many times as it happens, I still cannot believe people can just disappear. I had such high hopes here, but am starting to feel very agitated and more worried each day that goes by.

Thank you to those who are especially working hard for any bit of helpful info here.

I image-googled and can't find the red emblem ... I see lots of emblems but none of them look red to me - can you maybe post an example?

[O.T. I did come across one very creepy photo of a red Astra hatchback with a strange backseat passenger and now I may not sleep well tonight - photo is 10 rows up from the bottom in the centre https://ca.images.search.yahoo.com/...i/u3yNtqazTyI/maxresdefault.jpg&action=click]

Most of the Astra hatchbacks I've been looking at have a red emblem on the grill. I haven't detected red on any of the video or still shots. I wonder if that's relevant.

[video=twitter;878772973938855936]https://twitter.com/UIPD/status/878772973938855936[/video]

[video=twitter;878767666063921153]https://twitter.com/AudrinaBigos/status/878767666063921153[/video]

[video=twitter;878767046661738497]https://twitter.com/ChrisHushNBC/status/878767046661738497[/video]

I can see why many in China could be so upset. The population there is massive and, in those areas, CCTV is literally everywhere, and a love of technology is, as well. Here, technology like security cameras is not even close to cheap and there's a lot more space- space between buildings and homes. I am one state over, also in the Midwest. I live practically on Purdue University Campus and work on campus and I couldn't even tell you where the closest security camera is to my home. At my work, in a popular strip mall, we have cameras inside but I don't even think there are any on the exterior or even pointed in our direction. And I work for a very popular coffee shop (pretty much the only globally popular one?). I am not meaning to seem insensitive or trying to stereotype. Americans have the very same frustrations with every missing persons case. I understand how upsetting and serious and infuriating it is. I very much doubt that beautiful girl is alive, and she might be if there were more cameras and security personnel.
The United States is seen as a rich country, but a report was done on my city that came out this week showing that the average person would have to work two full time (40 hours per week) jobs to be able to afford their living without major struggles. I work 30 hours per week (it's hard for me to work 40 due to an injury I suffered at birth) as a manager and the amount I take home in one week, after paying taxes and insurance, isn't even enough to afford a decent set of security cameras, and that's not including installation. After paying rent at the end of the month, I only have $200 left. That's not even enough to cover the rest of my bills. I obviously have other ways to make money, and I apologize for making this explanation so lengthy, but I just want to describe some of the reasons there aren't more cameras on every street. The majority of us are struggling, and it's all over the country. Small business face the same troubles, if not more. Security cameras, CCTV, is considered lavish living to many of us.

Thanks for your explanation here. I thought the lack of security cameras in the US was mainly due to the respect for people's privacy. But I see your point now. Again, I understand every country and every city has a different condition. This is not a judgement of mine. You are right that if there were more cameras, the case would be a lot easier to handle.

Doesn't sit right with me that her abduction occurred near the corner of Goodwin and Clark - right by the National Center for Supercomputing, which is also right down the street from the Public Safety building. UI is home to Blue Waters and are in the bid as a top runner to hosting the over a billion dollar funded new SuperComputer that will be fastest and strongest in the world.

In other words, it seems to me the man that abducted Yingying did so brazenly, in broad daylight, in an area that imvho should've been much more secure, which to me points to him having an agenda that surpasses abducting a female student. Seems to me this man has an axe to grind. One can only hope Yingying hasn't been harmed to the point of incapacitation.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what her research was about- I've seen things like crop productivity and photosynthesis mentioned, but does anyone know any more detail than that? Is there any reason that her academic pursuits could have endangered her? I think this is very unlikely, of course, but just curious. I'm not trying to sound like a crazy conspirator so my apologies if it comes off that way.

I think she studies about natural resources or ecology? Is that enough reason to abduct someone? I don't know. But she is just a scholar, not a professor. I'm sure you can find someone more experienced in the industry.

As WideOpen says, caught on camera several times, in broad daylight, rare car model .... I mean, who does that??? Who is so brazen?

Could this man be innocent? Could he really just have been a nice traveling salesman offering a girl stranded in the heat a ride? Could he have dropped her off at her destination and something happened to her there?

I know I'm reaching. Just trying to think of alternative scenarios.

I've thought of that. I think maybe the driver was not that bad and he dropped her off somewhere. But for some reason, he refused to come to LE and tell his story.

This is facing the corner she was on. What is interesting to me, is that there is an emergency box right there in the corner. They are all over campus. Makes me assume she didn't feel threatened before getting into the car. Otherwise she could have run over there and slapped the button before the person in the car could do anything.

Also, some posts have been saying she immediately walked up to the car in the video. Keep in mind that the speed of the video has been edited - it's all happening much quicker than it appears. I would not assume she knew the person in the car based on that.

Video of the area: https://youtu.be/7FGiDnMW5gk
ce8a8e8711295d86511456885c24d7f0.jpg

I think the video is edited. I read it somewhere that she talked for 3-5 minutes before getting in the car. That's quite suspicious.

I wonder if the perp could've lifted the car from a lot and switched out the tags then put the car back. I hope rental and used car lots in the tri state area are keeping books on miles driven with regrads to black Saturn Astras. Or heck, with the way he drove around the block, and the way he was said to have driven around prior, maybe he "borrowed" the car from somebody that wouldn't have realized it missing (such as an old person, etc)...hence he could drive around without hiding because the car being noticed probably wouldn't point back to him.

If so, why hasn't he come forward? I think he took her with nefarious intentions.

Maybe he knew who took her after getting out of the car and was afraid of getting into trouble? Maybe he has left the country and paid no attention to the news?

Another thing I've found curious is that does he know she is a foreigner and a scholar? Abducting someone like YZ would surely raise the attention of at least two countries. Why go after all these troubles to offend so many people? Does he enjoy the challenge? This is why there are conspiracy theories out there. Some say she's a spy, or she's currently hired by some agency, or maybe it's some political affair between the US and China. If it's true, then at least she's safe and alive.

On the other hand, if the perp had no idea she would stir up so much attention, I believe he's panicking after knowing her identity. If so, then Yingying might be locked up somewhere very far away, or...

Re the females that came forward earlier to describe a man driving the same car attempting to "pick them up" or "give them a ride somewhere" - I wonder if they (the girls) are Asian. If so, then I wonder if a certain type of predjudice rests inside this person because maybe he lost a job/scholarship to a certain nationality that is female.

Or maybe he just took Yingying because he could. Maybe he was targeting females smaller than him, females that may appear weaker than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pixilove