Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://news.cgtn.com/news/3d636a4e3051444e/share.html

26-year-old Zhang Yingying arrived at the university on April 24 as a visiting scholar in the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences. Her goal was to become a professor in either China or the US.

"What we hoped was to come here to have the opportunity to meet with the police and communicate with the police face to face and hopefully that would give more information, updates," Zhang's boyfriend told The News-Gazette through an interpreter. "Since we arrived here, we haven't received enough updates. We're hoping to learn about the progress of the case."

" Our concern for Yingying grows with each day that passes and we have personally witnessed the pain this uncertain time has created for her family members, friends and colleagues," Christensen said. "While we cannot share specific details on the investigation in order to maintain its integrity and direction, we continue to make progress in our search, and we will not give up until we find her."

Cameras don't equal secure to me, so we may just have different ideas of what counts as secure. I'm not really trying to disagree with you in that it's critical to secure these facilities, but I think they have secured the facilities the best they can but there are limits to what they can do on the streets with cameras. Cameras can't prevent stuff from happening, and short of having armed guards around the buildings, these buildings exist on public streets. I live in the DC area, which I would consider very secure as there are concrete barriers and police all over, but even here... stuff happens.

I've been to this campus a ton of times, and there are cameras around. In fact, they have over 1,000 (http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...ers-ui-request-more-surveillance-cameras.html) and were requesting more according to this article. It's also mixed jurisdiction- there are city governments and campus police/administration involved. I don't know how this works, but I imagine they aren't monitoring them all all of the time. And even if they were, would a girl getting in a car in the age of Uber really set of red flags?

And in my personal opinion they have more footage than they've chosen to release, although clearly not enough footage as there is no visible publicly known progress.

Oh no, I know you're not being disagreeable. It's my vernicular I think. I know the buildings would have to be secure, especially to preserve the integrity of research being done there. When I was speaking of "secure", I was encompassing security as a whole - ie secure lock building some of which would require more than a keycard, security cameras outside of buildings covering all angles, security persons patrolling, etc. My fault for not conveying that.

I think the video is edited. I read it somewhere that she talked for 3-5 minutes before getting in the car. That's quite suspicious.

Yeah. They said it was edited for length during the talking part. Why, though? I mean, it's uploaded to YouTube. This isn't a news broadcast, if someone gets bored he can skip ahead. Who knows what a sharp eyed autist could spot in the whole version. Too, right away, the FBI said the guy was white. How do they know that? Did they get a peek at the guy in the original (or other, unreleased) footage?

well it makes #48 out of top 50 in the U.S. here: http://www.bestcollegereviews.org/top-research-universities/ and #36 out of top 800 world-wide here: https://www.timeshighereducation.co...gth/25/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

still a good school but I doubt she was an intellectual or political target

I'm confusd by this. I'm suggesting there are waaay more cameras all the way around that campus considering they have the largest supercomputer on their campus. It would have to be secure and I'm sure in case of terrorism they'd have cameras everywhere. I'm not at all even suggesting the buildings aren't secure. I'm speaking of the campus in it's entirety. UI at Urbana is in the top 5 research universities in the world. There's way more camera footage than those couple of shots and video that's been released thus far. Have to be.

I read somewhere that Zhang's friend says she's Christian. Maybe she met the driver at church, and assumed church-going people couldn't be bad? We don't normally discuss religions that much in China, which is why I only notice it now.

Another thing is that since the car he drove was neither very expensive nor mainstream, is it possible that he deliberately chose the car to fake something? A possibility is that maybe he's rich and owns a BMW or something, but he does not want us to know his income/ social status.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2017-06-22/give-my-daughter-back.html

"What we hoped was to come here to have the opportunity to meet with the police and communicate with the police face to face and hopefully that would give more information, updates," Hou said through translator Anna Tsai of the UI chancellor's office. "Since we arrived here, we felt being here has not been getting them more information. We're hoping to learn about the progress of the case.

"We're obviously very, very anxious the longer it goes. We're very concerned about the slow progress of the investigation."

Zhang arrived at the UI on April 24 as a visiting scholar in the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences. Her goal is to become a professor at a university either in the U.S. or back in China, according to Yang.

"Because the financial situation at home is not great, (Zhang's) goal is to study hard and help the family. Her focus in college was studies," said Ye, the scholar's aunt. "She was between the classroom and the library. She also worked as a tutor so she could earn additional income."

Yeah. They said it was edited for length during the talking part. Why, though? I mean, it's uploaded to YouTube. This isn't a news broadcast, if someone gets bored he can skip ahead. Who knows what a sharp eyed autist could spot in the whole version. Too, right away, the FBI said the guy was white. How do they know that? Did they get a peek at the guy in the original (or other, unreleased) footage?
You can see his skin color in the various videos.

When the video first came out it was unedited I think. Some comments said it was too long and they could not catch the sight of the car or something. Maybe it was edited because shorter videos grab people's attention better.

I've said I think it was unlikely, and that I was just thinking out loud<modsnip>

I know people personally who have been harassed and faced pipe bombings for their research, though. Do I think her research was the reason for this abduction? No. I said I don't think so, but I was just throwing it out there.<modsnip>

I did not intend to belittle or criticize your idea. I apologize that it came off that way.

I'm a full supporter of the undercover police theory and that she was chosen for her gender, appearance, size, etc...

But anything could have occurred. Hopefully one day it'll all come to light.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

As WideOpen says, caught on camera several times, in broad daylight, rare car model .... I mean, who does that??? Who is so brazen?

Could this man be innocent? Could he really just have been a nice traveling salesman offering a girl stranded in the heat a ride? Could he have dropped her off at her destination and something happened to her there?

I know I'm reaching. Just trying to think of alternative scenarios.

It's possible. But then why hasn't he said anything (or maybe he has. Maybe he doesn't even know about the resulting disppearance.) Too, something would have had to have happened really fast (maybe it did). Because, he would have taken her straight to the landlord, who has said he did not meet her that day (lying?). Who knows?

You can see part of his right arm & hand on the steering wheel. He's Caucasian or at least his skin appears very light in color compared to the black of the vehicle.

Google search of images show this Saturn logo for a 08-09 Saturn Astra... is this what you are thinking should be on the grill?

attachment.php

08 09 SATURN ASTRA FRONT UPPER GRILLE W/EMBLEM OEM 94701192 2008-2009
Yes. Maybe others have been able to detect it on the Astra in question, but I have not been able to. Maybe I'm not looking at the right video footage.

well it makes #48 out of top 50 in the U.S. here: http://www.bestcollegereviews.org/top-research-universities/ and #36 out of top 800 world-wide here: https://www.timeshighereducation.co...gth/25/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

Her graduate school in China (PKU) ranks #42 on this list, probably the best uni in China. UIUC on the other hand, is after a bunch of other US colleges. If is really is about her intellectual studies, then I assume the abductor is Chinese or sent by someone Chinese. :(

You can see part of his right arm & hand on the steering wheel. He's Caucasian or at least his skin appears very light in color compared to the black of the vehicle.

I agree. I think he's Caucasian. His arms and skin color do not seem Asian to me.

Sorry, I should've specified engineering and research. I think 5th was last year or 2015? 6th this year 2017 for engineering to also include computer but research post grad is at 14th globally. It's a darn good school depending on what the major is, some things not as well.

My impression is that when they say "white male" they're referring to race not ethnicity. So white male could mean caucasion, Chinese and possible mixed race. We won't know his ethnicity until he's caught.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The logo you guys are trying to pinpoint... I saw something onlne earlier that showed an exact replica or version of the front and back of the car. I'll search my history to see if I can find it again.

Another thing, Yingying said on her social media that she was doing some part-time job, translating I think? Maybe someone tricked her and told her he could offer her a high salary job, but it's unlikely. No one takes jobs from a stranger, right?

My impression is that when they say "white male" they're referring to race not ethnicity. So white male could mean caucasion, Chinese and possible mixed race. We won't know his ethnicity until he's caught.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mixed race is possible, which explains the light skin color and the possibility that he knows some Chinese.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaoskap