Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #2 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip>

<modsnip> It's the nature of this board (as far as I can tell) to put forth credible scenarios that don't demean the victims or fall into nonsense conspiracy theories or outright trolling. The mods seem to do a pretty good job of keeping everyone in line and on task imo compared to a lot of the free for all nonsense out there on the internet.

<modsnip>

Keep in mind as well the FBI saying they cannot release information is much, much different than Websleuther "x" saying I think ''y'' happened and here's why. <modsnip> Just my humble night owl opinion.

That typically occurs when a phone is off.

Ah, okay. I was under the impression the phone could only ping if on, but this last text from the landlord was presumably the last time her phone pinged, correct? Could it ping if turned off?

Has anyone seen time stamps in the security footage videos? I'm wondering if the timing lines up- ie she was texting him from the bus stop or while on the bus that she would be late, and then the last text comes in after she has left in the car (or another timeline).

I think yingying was a very cautious young woman. I'm sure she never in a million years expected to be kidnapped on a somewhat active street with the police station nearby. Everything just seemed to come together for an abduction that fateful afternoon!
I would be interested in seeing what other cameras picked up as she and her abductor traveled! Hoping today is the day they find her alive.

<modsnip>

I don't think there is anything particularly unusual about this case except that she is an international student. Abduction/missing persons cases by their very nature are unusual (by virtue of the low per capita base-rate for missing persons cases in general).

People speculating on the internet aren't going to jeopardize an investigation, and this case isn't any more important or unusual than pretty much any other case.

JMO.

I appreciate tone is hard to read in lines of text from strangers, so please be clear this is said gently and with kindness - a website called 'websleuths' is absolutely going to attract people wanting to play detective, theorise and (over!)analysise every detail of a case that appeals to them in some way. It is extremely unlikely members will be persuaded to do otherwise and nor should they be. This is a victim friendly forum, this approach is clearly stated in the rules and by mods repeatedly, with that in mind it's clear we all hope for the swift and safe return of yingying. To suggest speculating is detrimental to both that aim and the ongoing investigation without acknowledging the benefit of the forum raising yingyings profile and plight to a much wider audience appears slightly disingenuous.

Ah, okay. I was under the impression the phone could only ping if on, but this last text from the landlord was presumably the last time her phone pinged, correct? Could it ping if turned off?

Has anyone seen time stamps in the security footage videos? I'm wondering if the timing lines up- ie she was texting him from the bus stop or while on the bus that she would be late, and then the last text comes in after she has left in the car (or another timeline).

"Yingying Zhang was last seen getting into a car with that description about 2:04 pm, Friday, June 9, near West Clark and North Goodwin". http://www.illinoishomepage.net/new...vehicle-found-investigation-ongoing/752143366

So her phone was still on 30 minutes later. There's a rumour that that message pinged her phone as being in the vicinity of Illinois Terminal at 2:38, but there's no official/MSM source to substantiate the rumour.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

[video=twitter;880772399842676737]https://twitter.com/ui7news/status/880772399842676737[/video]

[video=twitter;880677039820476416]https://twitter.com/find_yingying/status/880677039820476416[/video]

[video=twitter;880674679006130176]https://twitter.com/find_yingying/status/880674679006130176[/video]

VIDEO: The walk for Yingying

About 350 people gathered Thursday night at Krannert Center for the Performing Arts for a walk and concert in support of University of Illinois visiting scholar Yingying Zhang, who was last seen June 9. Her father, Ronggao, aunt Liqin Ye and boyfriend, Xiaolin Hou, led the march.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...her-in-Maury-County-13-March-2017-18-*ARREST*

Have you guys read about the ET case? Do you think it's possible that Yingying was taken out of Illinois to a far away place like E? I think the perp has at least two cars, maybe stolen ones.
I think this is possible, that she was taken out of state. It would be hard to flesh out though, without first knowing the exact location the car was found, and what was inside of it. It would also be helpful if the FBI let us know whether or not they found her phone over where it pinged.

If we take that last ping of 2:30-ish and place it at the Terminal location, we can speculate that the driver thought she was headed there so threw her phone out there. That could be a starting point. But then which direction would we go? Continue north-westerly? Or would they then go back to the major highways and head east? Or south?

In the case of ET, the perp was drawn to tropical locations. While they were located in the mountains in Northern California, we also know he planned to make his way to the beaches of Mexico.

In this case, we do not have any information to gauge against in order to speculate what type of destination the perp would head towards. I fear we just don't have enough information.

In fact, it's even possible the perp is part of a larger organization and YZ was handed off to someone else. I really doubt that, but anything is possible.

Cell towers in Champaign County for Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint. Do we know who her data carrier is?
attachment.php
Has her data carrier ever been shared?

As a big believer in data driven research, I was wondering if anyone has found any similar cases, nationwide? Utilizing the following parameters, trying to "check" as many boxes as possible. The last 5-10 years is likely the most applicable.

First, adults, ages twenty to thirty, missing in the region for longer than a month. Second, adults, ages twenty to thirty, who were last seen only during the hours of 8 AM- 8 PM (roughly). Third, international college students. Fourth, kidnappings (true kidnappings that were adjudicated), between the ages of twenty to thirty. Fifth, international students who were reported missing in the last five years and have not been found.

I can't find a good comparison or analog to this case, anywhere. I've been looking for weeks. Can any of you find any cases that bear the aforementioned similarities to this one?
NICK_1 I'm afraid I was a little sleepy when you asked about recent cases that have been adjudicated and involved students/young female students from China, who went missing. I think the cases on this article will fill most of the questions you ask and includes other case results and adjudications in US and China (Yep, both!)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Shao_Tong

[video=twitter;880844635438010369]https://twitter.com/willpublicmedia/status/880844635438010369[/video]

As a big believer in data driven research, I was wondering if anyone has found any similar cases, nationwide? Utilizing the following parameters, trying to "check" as many boxes as possible. The last 5-10 years is likely the most applicable.

First, adults, ages twenty to thirty, missing in the region for longer than a month. Second, adults, ages twenty to thirty, who were last seen only during the hours of 8 AM- 8 PM (roughly). Third, international college students. Fourth, kidnappings (true kidnappings that were adjudicated), between the ages of twenty to thirty. Fifth, international students who were reported missing in the last five years and have not been found.
I can't find a good comparison or analog to this case, anywhere. I've been looking for weeks. Can any of you find any cases that bear the aforementioned similarities to this one?

I previously mentioned that the crime slightly reminds me of the 2009 murder of Asian grad student Annie Le at Yale University. In particular I wondered if the current perp might bear a profile at all similar to Raymond Clark the 26-yr.-old Yale lab technician convicted in Le’s death.
Also possible though that there are no major similarities in the cases :(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Annie_Le

I still find the degree of police silence in the Zhang case quite puzzling. And further note that while the FBI has from early on labeled the crime a “kidnapping” or “abduction,” I believe the U of I police still only categorize it as a “missing person” case (perhaps little more than semantics).
Hope we get some sort of update before this day is over.

What is "Illinois Terminal" where it I believed her phone may have pinged? It sounds like an airport location?

It is the Amtrak train terminal in downtown Champaign.

I have been gone from CU for a long time, so it may very well be a bus terminal as well as OP indicated.

I previously mentioned that the crime slightly reminds me of the 2009 murder of Asian grad student Annie Le at Yale University. In particular I wondered if the current perp might bear a profile at all similar to Raymond Clark the 26-yr.-old Yale lab technician convicted in Le’s death.
Also possible though that there are no major similarities in the cases :(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Annie_Le

I still find the degree of police silence in the Zhang case quite puzzling. And further note that while the FBI has from early on labeled the crime a “kidnapping” or “abduction,” I believe the U of I police still only categorize it as a “missing person” case (perhaps little more than semantics).
Hope we get some sort of update before this day is over.

But Annie Le wasn't an international student, and didn't get into a vehicle. Annie's parents were Vietnamese (not Chinese). Guess I'm not really seeing similarities except that they were both petite female grad students.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member