Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #3 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He was overheard on audio recording that he did take her there. I think it was BS unless he's the luckiest dude ever. It was broad daylight, the parking lot was not close to the apartment, no attached garages, and a single entrance for all the apartments in his building.
Half an hour after Yingying got into the car, her phone pinged near Illinois Terminal. There are several towers in town... I think if her phone was at his apartment then it would have pinged elsewhere? So assuming her phone was not discarded (ie thrown out the window) immediately after her entering the car... what if he made a stop on his way to his apartment. Somewhere he was unlikely to be seen, like a parking garage. And was able to subdue and camouflage her (like in a huge duffel bag, just with a blanket, etc) so he would be able to carry her into his apartment undetected. Could explain why her phone was still pinging in that area and how he got her into his apartment.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I wonder about his Gym activity after he picked her up. If there it didn't happen it's very possible she was still alive somewhere. If he continued she may have been killed immediately. The more I think about it that factory would be perfect. He's on his way to the gym when it's still dark so people can't see the suspicious activity there.
Do members have to sign in at that gym? I'd be curious to know his next sign in after 2:08 p.m. On June 9.

Please be careful!!
Yes, I imagine we could see all that we need to see with google earth. You have already done so much. Probably better to make a suggestion to local authorities, instead of responding to my inquiry. LE is better to do a surveillance of the building. So :stay: where you are. I'm sure the authorities will check out all abandoned buildings, including the gas station and factory.
I think I need a break, how about you?

He would normally not have any coursework at all to finish if he were ABD (a doctoral candidate). I did look at his profile on the UIUC website before it was pulled, and remember thinking he was not a candidate, but I can't tell you exactly what it said, because I don't remember.

Messed up. If we has trying to find a job through LinkedIn he was doing it under false pretenses.

Please be careful!!
Yes, I imagine we could see all that we need to see with google earth. You have already done so much. Probably better to make a suggestion to local authorities, instead of responding to my inquiry. LE is better to do a surveillance of the building. So :stay: stay where you are. I'm sure the authorities will check out all abandoned buildings, including the gas station and factory.

Yes, they are charged with abduction in the VA Tech case. And if the alleged facts are to be believed, it clearly was a planned abduction as they convinced a minor to go with them on the prospect that the girl was going on a date and then killed her. It's much easier to prove kidnapping for a minor. Moreover, her body was found in another state so it clearly was across state lines yet there, the case is in state court. Moreover, before they found her body, it was a kidnapping case because I believe she was missing for a few days before they found her in North Carolina. Many cases start out as kidnapping cases because they can't prove murder yet.

Well, that definitely would have been a federal case up until the murder, since it involved a minor. I am not a fan of the death penalty, but at this moment I am a fan of threatening it to BC if he will produce a body to avoid it. Because I am a worrier, I worry that he is going to get away with murder or get a light sentence because YZ cannot be found. IMHO if he is guilty of this crime he should not be released unless some sort of "cure" for sociopathy emerges.

Yes, but in order to be a PhD "candidate" he would've had to pass his doctoral exams not just be enrolled. I have a PhD from Urbana- Champaign. It is a huge deal to call yourself a PhD candidate in you are only a PhD student. Did he really complete all of his coursework or is this his inflated ego talking?

I have a phd so I completely get what you mean but I don't think most people in the real world know of the distinction. I have not followed where he said he was a candidate but he sure seems like a conceited guy so he might have just referred to himself as a candidate to sound more impressive, though I doubt few people would even care.

I imagine to go from candidacy (ABD) to phd is a little harder in the sciences because you literally have to be in a lab. It's odd why he quit because oftentimes the masters does not do much for you, though in the sciences it could be different. It does not help you in academia since you need a phd and there is such an overglut in general of phds who can't get jobs in academia that industry already has alot of phds. Maybe that's why he couldn't find a job. Also, sometimes people want to "trade up" by getting masters from a "better" school but his undergrad school is of similar reputation.

So essentially this means they aren't even looking for her at this point? I find that crazy. Even if they believe she is dead they will need to find a body to be able to charge him with Murder.
I think it means law enforcement (FBI, local, etc) have a good idea where she is and don't need the public's help.

Half an hour after Yingying got into the car, her phone pinged near Illinois Terminal. There are several towers in town... I think if her phone was at his apartment then it would have pinged elsewhere? So assuming her phone was not discarded (ie thrown out the window) immediately after her entering the car... what if he made a stop on his way to his apartment. Somewhere he was unlikely to be seen, like a parking garage. And was able to subdue and camouflage her (like in a huge duffel bag, just with a blanket, etc) so he would be able to carry her into his apartment undetected. Could explain why her phone was still pinging in that area and how he got her into his apartment.

Do we know if they ever recovered her phone or anything of hers?

Really, isn't it odd that they aren't searching for her? Even if they feel she is dead, wouldn't they be looking for her body in open fields or ask farmers to look out in their fields? Can anyone remember any case where someone is missing and there appears to be no active search? What would be the downside in asking the public to do some searches? If a loved one of mine was missing, I personally would go out an search the county. Why would they be telling family/friends not to do that?

It would be in the neighborhood of 3.5 hours from MO, and I think slightly less to Indiana.

Yes, I imagine we could see all that we need to see with google earth. You have already done so much. Probably better to make a suggestion to local authorities, instead of responding to my inquiry. LE is better to do a surveillance of the building. So :stay: stay where you are. I'm sure the authorities will check out all abandoned buildings, including the gas station and factory.
I wasn't going to search it. [emoji15]

I can drive by his apartment, the factory, and the gym to give you a sense of the area. It's all well populated and safe to drive that route. You'll see.

Really, isn't it odd that they aren't searching for her? Even if they feel she is dead, wouldn't they be looking for her body in open fields or ask farmers to look out in their fields? Can anyone remember any case where someone is missing and there appears to be no active search? What would be the downside in asking the public to do some searches? If a loved one of mine was missing, I personally would go out an search the county. Why would they be telling family/friends not to do that?

Exactly. This is what's bothering me - why no searches if they think she's dead? It does not compute.

Is it possible they're searching and we don't know about it? That would seem odd because you normally solicit volunteers to help conduct searches...

I have a phd so I completely get what you mean but I don't think most people in the real world know of the distinction. I have not followed where he said he was a candidate but he sure seems like a conceited guy so he might have just referred to himself as a candidate to sound more impressive, though I doubt few people would even care.

I imagine to go from candidacy (ABD) to phd is a little harder in the sciences because you literally have to be in a lab. It's odd why he quit because oftentimes the masters does not do much for you, though in the sciences it could be different. It does not help you in academia since you need a phd and there is such an overglut in general of phds who can't get jobs in academia that industry already has alot of phds. Maybe that's why he couldn't find a job. Also, sometimes people want to "trade up" by getting masters from a "better" school but his undergrad school is of similar reputation.

Does anyone here have a Ph.D. in the sciences? The one I am working on is in social sciences, which requires all coursework completed, comprehensives taken and passed, and half your dissertation written in the form of a proposal and approved by a committee. Many years ago I pursued a Humanities doctorate, which required all coursework taken and comprehensives passed.

I am assuming the sciences follow the same pattern as the social sciences, because approval would be necessary. I don't think most people would leave a sciences doctorate undone once they got to the stage of getting their research approved?

I am going to guess that his attorney is going to try for an insanity case and argue that a mental illness emerged in the last few years if the body is found and can be tied to BC, if only to pressure the family and prosecutors with a long trial. And, as I said, I worry about him going free. The Kyron Horman case brought me to Websleuths and haunts me. As does Casey Anthony and O.J. Simpson.

Well, that definitely would have been a federal case up until the murder, since it involved a minor. I am not a fan of the death penalty, but at this moment I am a fan of threatening it to BC if he will produce a body to avoid it. Because I am a worrier, I worry that he is going to get away with murder or get a light sentence because YZ cannot be found. IMHO if he is guilty of this crime he should not be released unless some sort of "cure" for sociopathy emerges.

Yeah, I agree. They need to find the body and I am not sure why there is no public search unless they know she is in a body of water and they are actively searching the water. Otherwise, if they know where she is, they would say it.

I think LE know we are coming up on or already passed the limits of human life as far as going without food or water. I think the limits are about 2 weeks. I almost wish there was an accomplice as there would be some hope left.

Does anyone recall why the FBI or at what point were they called in? That may be a clue.

I don't know the *why*, but we know they were involved from June 12 at the latest, that's when they first interviewed him. Pretty much from the very start.

No matter if it's true, if the evidence of her getting in his car and the audio is solid and if they don't find a body, then I bet that will be his argument. He dropped her off with a random stranger within their odd sexual type world he lives in and does not know where she is. I believe that argument was made at one time in the Natalie Holloway case - that she was dropped off with sex traffickers.

If he pulls that, how would you prove murder? He could potentially take a plea to something less. He could claim the audio was part of a fantasy. Hopefully they found blood evidence somewhere or more evidence we don't know about because although there is strong circumstantial evidence (why not go to cops if she got in car for innocuous reason?), there are weaknesses in this case if you had to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.

My strong sense is that LE's certainty of death is due to their having found blood - or possibly images/video. I just had a creepy thought: Possibly another party living there saw YZ in the apartment at least initially, and thought she was role playing abduction?

So........how did he get her to the apartment .......then how did he get her out?

Was she in the apt do we know?

No one can answer this yet. There's only so much information we have and obviously the investigation is still ongoing. I think its safe to assume that the FBI believe that she was being they were removing furniture from his apartment over the weekend, almost certainly to test it for DNA/blood and other microscopic evidence. If she was in there, I think its probably going to be simple to find that evidence being that Christensen has shown he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to covering up his crime.

My guess is he took his plan too far, and probably took her body out late at night and dumped her somewhere. She was reported missing mere hours after her abduction, so he didn't have a lot of time since the attention her being missing received was fairly swift.

Exactly. This is what's bothering me - why no searches if they think she's dead? It does not compute.

Is it possible they're searching and we don't know about it? That would seem odd because you normally solicit volunteers to help conduct searches...

All I can think of is that it is in a place where they do not want the public to go, and yet is still difficult to find. I think WSers who are suggested the landfill might be on the right track.

My strong sense is that LE's certainty of death is due to their having found blood - or possibly images/video. I just had a creepy thought: Possibly another party living there saw YZ in the apartment at least initially, and thought she was role playing abduction?

Or that BC stated what he did with her while under surveillance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper