Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #3 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here have a Ph.D. in the sciences? The one I am working on is in social sciences, which requires all coursework completed, comprehensives taken and passed, and half your dissertation written in the form of a proposal and approved by a committee. Many years ago I pursued a Humanities doctorate, which required all coursework taken and comprehensives passed.

I am assuming the sciences follow the same pattern as the social sciences, because approval would be necessary. I don't think most people would leave a sciences doctorate undone once they got to the stage of getting their research approved?

I am going to guess that his attorney is going to try for an insanity case and argue that a mental illness emerged in the last few years if the body is found and can be tied to BC, if only to pressure the family and prosecutors with a long trial. And, as I said, I worry about him going free. The Kyron Horman case brought me to Websleuths and haunts me. As does Casey Anthony and O.J. Simpson.

I'm getting a science PhD at the same school in a related department. So closely related that I worked in the same building as BC but I never interacted with him and I do not have mutual facebook friends. We do qualifying exams, preliminary exams - in which you establish a research proposal and a committee, but usually you have already done extensive research on the topic to prove it is feasible - and finally write the thesis in full and defend.

Usually people fail out with a terminal masters because they can't write. Some people can struggle out a prelim but can't make publications, which are pretty critical, or the thesis (100-200 pages) is just too daunting. Other reasons for leaving could be mental health - many grad students are very, very depressed - or not liking your adviser, struggling with funding... there are a number of reasons. I could make a short list right off the bat of my friends who have departed with a terminal masters.

I too, find it really strange that there is no search for the body. Really strange.

Couldn't this remain as a federal case for the kidnapping. Then it could become a state trial for murder, after that?

Yeah, it could remain in federal court for kidnapping but you would need federal jxn to keep it there which in this case would require out of state conduct in furtherance of the crime. We don't know if that exists. Having a car made out of state would not be enough - they would need to show more. In the case I saw online with federal kidnapping, the body was found in another state or on federal land. I saw no cases where they exercised jxn superior to the state court in a kidnapping/murder case based solely on the phone.

Usually they will not want to put families through two trials, especially here where people are from a different country. So oftentimes they have one trial and that is usually in state court. If there is indeed federal jxn, they would pursue murder, abduction, etc. under state law, and if he is not convicted, take another bite out of the apple in federal court under the federal kidnapping law. The only substantive reason to stay in federal court is the federal kidnapping statute has the option of the death penalty if there is a murder, though it's rarely invoked. It may be hard to prove this meets the aggravating characteristics for a death penalty case but I think they at least want to threaten him with it to give up the location of the body.

RSBM
IMO, he was never really serious about being a physicist - he wanted to live life as a student working out, sleeping late, playing video games and going on fetish sites all night - you can't very well do that if you have a 9-5 job. Once the real work came of devising a research project he bailed. His psyche probably deteriorated when he realized that this life was ending and he was not going to be a student anymore.

Or, he was serious initially and then got more heavily involved in the fetish lifestyle. He knew his profile was searchable and that being out in the fetish community might not make him an attractive college professor candidate. I think it was probably more about priorities than an inability to complete the program.

My SIL had completed 4 years into a PhD at Michigan and opted out of continuing b/c the job market was not much better for a candidate with PhD then one with a Masters. She did not love her field enough for another 5 or 6 years of non-paid life. Physics is an area that is very difficult to get on great projects and find footing outside of your mentors lab if you are a PhD student. She had at least four people she knew who opted for the terminal degree. She had done sensor work and now is employed by a private contractor in a highly classified field, making really good money and having a say in the work/ project design in her lab. Much happier than when she was in University..

Someone back earlier in the tread mentioned that this story is reverberating in China also. A Chinesse Tabloid like the Enquire here has a story that the FBI isn't doing a good job searching for her because all of the crime in the US. I wonder if this at some point turns into an international incident. The parents doesn't seem to have any means but if a local political person in China decides to send investigators into the US to try to find her? What would happen then?

This university in particular is very interested in China. There are more Chinese exchange students at U of Illinois than any other US university (more than 5,600 students) and it is more well known in China than many Chinese universities. So I think that is why the Chinese media is paying particular attention. Plus U of Illinois has lots to lose and its a total PR nightmare for them because they get so many Chinese students. Indeed, many state universities actively recruit foreigners because they pay top dollar whereas US students especially Illinois students pay cheap rates .

I am reading the Complaint again and it mentions Interstate Commerce when detailing the search of the car and the computer/cellphone. the Federsl Statute is on page 3 9see my screen shot ... mods, I hope that is OK, as I cannot copy and have to retype anything I bring from the Complaint).
Any bold is by me.

page 1: offense Description
Kidnapping, in that he unlawfully and willingly seized, confined, and inveigled, decoyed, kidnapped, abducted, carried away and otherwise held the victim, and in committing and furtherance of the commission of the offense used a means, facility, and instrumentality of interstate and foreign commerce.

Page 3 is the Federsl Statute:
attachment.php

Page 6: #13. based on review of the video footage of the SUBJECT VEHICLE by law enforcement, the SUBJECT VEHICLE was determined to be a Saturn Astra, a means, facility and instrumentation of Interstate Commerce, which was sold in the I tied States during 2008 and 2009. The SUBJECT VEHICLE was manufactured outside the State of Illinois, and was used in committing and in furtherance of the commission of this offense.

page 9: #20. Numerous electronic items were collected, including several computers and a cellular telephone belonging to CHRISTENSEN, all of which are means, facilities and instrumentalities of Interstate Commerce.

Page 9: #22. ....... This phone, a means, facility, and instrumentality of Interstate Commerce, was therefore used in committing and in furtherance of the commission of this offense.

ETA: link to the Complaint. http://www.news-gazette.com/sites/all/files/pdf/2017/06/30/christensen_complnt_17-mj-07132_1.pdf

Aha! Great find!

RSBM

Or, he was serious initially and then got more heavily involved in the fetish lifestyle. He knew his profile was searchable and that being out in the fetish community might not make him an attractive college professor candidate. I think it was probably more about priorities than an inability to complete the program.

My SIL had completed 4 years into a PhD at Michigan and opted out of continuing b/c the job market was not much better for a candidate with PhD then one with a Masters. She did not love her field enough for another 5 or 6 years of non-paid life. Physics is an area that is very difficult to get on great projects and find footing outside of your mentors lab if you are a PhD student. She had at least four people she knew who opted for the terminal degree. She had done sensor work and now is employed by a private contractor in a highly classified field, making really good money and having a say in the work/ project design in her lab. Much happier than when she was in University..

Yes in the sciences especially you have to be in it for the long haul. Often after you spend 5-6 years getting the degree, you have to do 2-3 years of a postdoc, and when schools look for candidates for faculty jobs, they almost require you have a postdoc. All of this comes with making less than $30,000 a year for multiple years. So yeah, if you are not in it for the long haul, best to leave at the masters, though as a practical matter, I doubt it really helps you very much on the job market above the bachelors if you went to a university the same "level" as your bachelors.

If this was true Citigirl then wouldn't they have found her by now?

I sometimes wonder if they have. Everyone was out looking for the car when they knew they had found it. It was a long time between the finding of the car and their announcement to the public that they had found it. They did not tell the family, either, from what I recall.

Someone back earlier in the tread mentioned that this story is reverberating in China also. A Chinesse Tabloid like the Enquire here has a story that the FBI isn't doing a good job searching for her because all of the crime in the US. I wonder if this at some point turns into an international incident. The parents doesn't seem to have any means but if a local political person in China decides to send investigators into the US to try to find her? What would happen then?

The fact that the family has withdrawn the $40,000 Crimestoppers reward makes me think they and LE are on the same page now. I think they thought the FBI acted slowly in the beginning...I would probably feel the same in their shoes.

I am reading the Complaint again and it mentions Interstate Commerce when detailing the search of the car and the computer/cellphone. the Federsl Statute is on page 3 9see my screen shot ... mods, I hope that is OK, as I cannot copy and have to retype anything I bring from the Complaint).
Any bold is by me.

Yeah I am not sure if all that is standard language or if it means something. Nearly everyone has a car made out of state so that's certainly not a relevant fact for jxn unless it's just standard language they use. I suspect this is probably standard language and given the closeness to Indiana it's not unreasonable to think he moved her out of state.

The thing about the phone is interesting. Could he have used the phone to call someone out of state to help him dispose of the body? It clearly says it was used to commit and further the crime. What possibly would he have done with the phone to further the crime except use it to plan to hide the body? Or use it to look at google maps to find a place to put it? Or takes pictures of her on it?

I think they will argue the commit part of the statute would refer to him accessing the FetLife site on his phone, since it is mentioned in the complaint.

Perhaps they know she's gone but there's no body to recover? This is truly a heinous case and yes, baffling.

I know it's been mentioned, but I think I'm in such denial, I forget this as a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its taken me ages to read every post on this thread. Thank you to everyone. It really helps to read a background and updates.

I can't help but worry that he might have taken her somewhere and was holding her captive. I can't bear that his arrest may have left her with no way to escape and she would have died as a result :(
He's been under surveillance for weeks they would have followed him to her if he was ever getting in contact with her.

I bet they got a ton of evidence from his phone. I recall he likes to make home movies.

I am leaning toward this^^^
IMO - he may have recorded his acts.
Perhaps this is how FBI obtained his statement regarding how he kidnapped her and not thru a third party? Things he said in the course of committing the crime.

On another note, his LinkedIn is twisted. He had the audacity to say he cares about Human Rights, I would without a doubt say he only cares about his own rights. IMO of course.

The fact that the family has withdrawn the $40,000 Crimestoppers reward makes me think they and LE are on the same page now. I think they thought the FBI acted slowly in the beginning...I would probably feel the same in their shoes.
Has it been stated anywhere that the family still thinks she is missing?

Any bold is by me.

page 1: offense Description
Kidnapping, in that he unlawfully and willingly seized, confined, and inveigled, decoyed, kidnapped, abducted, carried away and otherwise held the victim, and in committing and furtherance of the commission of the offense used a means, facility, and instrumentality of interstate and foreign commerce.

Page 3 is the Federsl Statute:
attachment.php

Page 6: #13. based on review of the video footage of the SUBJECT VEHICLE by law enforcement, the SUBJECT VEHICLE was determined to be a Saturn Astra, a means, facility and instrumentation of Interstate Commerce, which was sold in the I tied States during 2008 and 2009. The SUBJECT VEHICLE was manufactured outside the State of Illinois, and was used in committing and in furtherance of the commission of this offense.

page 9: #20. Numerous electronic items were collected, including several computers and a cellular telephone belonging to CHRISTENSEN, all of which are means, facilities and instrumentalities of Interstate Commerce.

Page 9: #22. ....... This phone, a means, facility, and instrumentality of Interstate Commerce, was therefore used in committing and in furtherance of the commission of this offense.

ETA: link to the Complaint. http://www.news-gazette.com/sites/all/files/pdf/2017/06/30/christensen_complnt_17-mj-07132_1.pdf

Hi, so I think they are trying to invoke the Commerce Clause in the Constitution (Article I, Section 8). This would secure federal jurisdiction if they can assert some sort of effect on interstate commerce, even if only through intrastate commerce. (i.e., use of cell phone; use of internet, etc)

He's been under surveillance for weeks they would have followed him to her if he was ever getting in contact with her.

This is a good point. If they followed him 24/7, the only logical conclusion is that he did not revisit her in any way or else LE would have gone in behind him. Which means she was either being held somewhere he regularly goes anyway (e.g., his apartment) or she was gone by the time LE started tailing and he has not gone back to revisit. I'm thinking the latter.

Not saying this is what I think in any way whatsoever, but is it possible he really planned to "only" take her for a short time and then release her, but things got away from him? Suddenly he's dealing with murder instead of abduction, so he freaks and tries to act normal? His eyes tell me a different story, but I also know addiction makes you do things you immediately regret once you've had the urge fulfilled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The eyes at the walk say that he's proud of what he's done and is delighting in it.

I think they will argue the commit part of the statute would refer to him accessing the FetLife site on his phone, since it is mentioned in the complaint.

But what would the Fetlife site have to do with the commission of the crime? He would have had to post something about her on there for it to be involved. The Fetlife site provides circumstantial evidence he is into some odd stuff, and looked at abduction sites but it does not relate directly to the crime. Many people look at websites to try to figure out how to make stuff and that does not make a difference as far as making it a federal crime. Like in the Casey Anthony case they alleged she looked at the web to see how to make chloroform.

There would need to be a direct tie to the Fetlife site and the crime. What could it be?

Many crimes nowadays involve some sort of involvement with the internet or some connection or effect on interstate commerce yet very few are in federal court. This could be a calculated move on the part of the Trump administrative to vastly expand federal jxn yet at the same time it seems against the general GOP stance of states' rights. Either way, if the link to interstate commerce is so tenuous and if the only reason to be in federal court is optics and to get death penalty, it makes the case very shaky on appeal because he would have a legit constitutional argument that this link was too tenuous for federal jxn here. I really hope they either have a much more solid link or else they give it back to the states. I wouldn't want him getting out on appeal (though even if he got out on appeal on a federal conviction, state courts could go after him).

Horrible, horrible, horrible. Her poor Family and Friends. Please, let Yingying be found, so they can at least have some type of closure.

Lighting a candle for her, with a very heavy heart.

attachment.php

Attachments

• whiteMourningCandleSmaller.jpg
    whiteMourningCandleSmaller.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 256
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors