Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #5 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wondered this too. I would assume it means luring? Which would play into the theory that he may have pretended to be someone else (someone official) to lure her into the car.

Also, what does the term "decoyed" legally mean?

So now that we have this knowledge, what exact role do you think his cell phone played in all of this?
Possibilities:

While planning the kidnapping...

- Research on abduction methods including selecting a victim, luring a victim, incapacitating a victim, fetish kidnapping props/photography, etc etc etc (ie FetLife activity)
- Research of maps/locations
- Research on cleaning traces of DNA, etc
- Poor research on local surveillance camera locations

During:
- If he used his mobile to identify himself - like showing YZ his physics department page with his name, picture OR in a way that would make a undercover cop ruse more credible
- If he used a map, police scanner, etc app during the time YZ was being held by him
- If he took any type of recordings (photo, video, audio) of YZ

Disposal [emoji17] :
- Map/location research and/or directions as mentioned before
- Cleaning research

Afterwards:
- Reading news coverage?
- Sharing any recordings he may have taken or just recounting the event
- Maybe he submitted crime stopper tips - either towards himself because he wanted credit for his crime or had remorse... or away from him to put investigators on a false trail

Can anyone say one of these acts definitely wouldn't be covered or add any other ideas?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Possibilities:

- Research on abduction methods including selecting a victim, luring a victim, incapacitating a victim, fetish kidnapping props/photography, etc etc etc (ie FetLife activity)

During:
- If he used his mobile to identify himself - like showing YZ his physics department page with his name, picture OR in a way that would make a undercover cop ruse more credible
- If he used a map, police scanner, etc app during the time YZ was being held by him

Disposal [emoji17] :
- Cleaning research

Afterwards:
- Reading news coverage?
- Maybe he submitted crime stopper tips - either towards himself because he wanted credit for his crime or had remorse... or away from him to put investigators on a false trail

Can anyone say one of these acts definitely wouldn't be covered or add any other ideas?

Excellent list! I would love to hear if any of these wouldn't be covered as well.

Thank you for all the updates.

Just as some suspected, he used means of deception or flattery.

I wondered this too. I would assume it means luring? Which would play into the theory that he may have pretended to be someone else (someone official) to lure her into the car.

ITA with that assessment.

[video=twitter;885256346186248192]https://twitter.com/KayleeHartung/status/885256346186248192[/video]

Guessing re decoyed he either pretended to be a cop or an uber/lyft driver.

If an uber/lyft driver, that could also play into how he used his phone to aid the kidnapping. (And/or that he videotaped it all...)

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2017-07-12/indictment-christensen-decoyed-kidnapped-abducted-ui-scholar.html

Sharon Paul, a spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney’s office, reiterated in Wednesday’s announcement that “law enforcement investigating (Ms.) Zhang’s disappearance believe (Ms.) Zhang is deceased. This determination is based on facts presented in court and court documents, and other facts uncovered during the ongoing investigation.”

FBI spokesman Brad Ware described the case as “ongoing,” adding that it “will continue to be ongoing until we locate Ms. Zhang.”

So there is info in court documents that shows her to be deceased (maybe him bragging about killing her? I'm assuming there is way more info about the wired convos in the official documents than we have access to), and they are still actively looking for her as well, apparently.

Adios BC, you monster. You’re not going to beat this, you psychopath.

[video=twitter;885266589830057984]https://twitter.com/UIPD/status/885266589830057984[/video]

Also, what does the term "decoyed" legally mean?

I'm not sure it has a legal definition aside from its common definition: to lure or entice (a person or animal) away from an intended course, typically into a trap.

What's the difference between kidnap and abduction? And why are both included?

Another question: did the grand jury decide the indictment based on what were already presented previously, or did it possibly hear/see more evidence?

Possibilities:

During:

Disposal [emoji17] :
- Cleaning research

Afterwards:
- Reading news coverage?

I might add:

Planning:
- Research on consequences/sentencing/likelihood of an abductor being caught
- Reading about crimes similar to the one being contemplated

Afterward:
- Calling someone for help or advice
- Communicating threats/intimidating witnesses
- Research on law/legal protections (e.g., when can one refuse a search)
- Reliving the crime/watching videos/looking at photos/listening to recordings

I might add:

Planning:
- Research on consequences/sentencing/likelihood of an abductor being caught
- Reading about crimes similar to the one being contemplated

Afterward:
- Calling someone for help or advice
- Communicating threats/intimidating witnesses
- Research on law/legal protections (e.g., when can one refuse a search)
- Reliving the crime/watching videos/looking at photos/listening to recordings

May be any or many of these, but my money is still on photographic and/or video evidence of the crime. I very strongly believe that would be BC's style. JMO

May be any or many of these, but my money is still on photographic and/or video evidence of the crime. I very strongly believe that would be BC's style. JMO

Yeah, the major ones were covered. I don't think any of these are mutually exclusive, but I agree, there are likely photos or videos because LE is willing to say publicly that she's not alive. Ugh, I hate thinking about it.

misc. thoughts:

If I understand the timeline right, police did not publicly release the black Astra info/video until the afternoon of Monday Jun.12 (after YZ was abducted on Fri. afternoon the 9th) — so that would be the first time BC suddenly knew he’d been caught on tape… I’ve thought for awhile he either killed her within a couple of hours, or else killed her after panicking once he realized he’d been caught on tape, which would be Monday, at which point he would want to quickly, cleanly dispose of the body (probably from his Camaro, since people would be looking for Astras -- do we know if police also impounded the Camaro... surely they must've inspected it, but I've never heard it mentioned?).
Also, it appears to me the two most likely landfills servicing the Champaign-Urbana area are in Clinton and Danville, Illinois. Any chance anyone on this site lives near those or within viewing distance of any activity there?

Thanks for asking this and reminding of the timeline. I was about to write pretty much the exact same post. I'm so curious about the camaro and whether it was searched.

Before really narrowing in on the timeline I thought he may have used his second car to avoid being spotted in an astra as you suggested. I have to assume and hope that LE searched any and all vehicles tied to BC.

Ps- fun fact- my phones autocorrect always changes BC to because. Anyone else? Had to retype that about 5 times too many [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A federal grand jury in Urbana indicted a former University of Illinois doctoral candidate on Wednesday in the disappearance of a Chinese visiting scholar last month, federal prosecutors said.

Brendt Christensen, 28, is charged with kidnapping Yingying Zhang from near a bus stop on the Urbana-Champaign campus the afternoon of June 9. Christensen was arrested June 30 and was previously charged via an affidavit filed with the federal court for the Central District of Illinois.

Christensen, of Champaign, will now formally enter a plea to the charges at an arraignment scheduled for July 20, one of his attorneys, Thomas Bruno, said. If convicted, the penalty is up to life in prison.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ois-kidnapping-indictment-20170712-story.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member