Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #7 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone interested, Yingying's birthday is December 21st (It's December 20th, I know, but she was born in China and due to the time difference, it's the 21st there now).

That has to be a rough anniversary for her family to be facing today.

On a related note...does anyone know how to contact the moderator of this thread on how to edit the title? It lists Yingying's age as 25, when she was 26 when abducted, and is/would be 27 now.

For anyone interested, Yingying's birthday is December 21st (It's December 20th, I know, but she was born in China and due to the time difference, it's the 21st there now).

That has to be a rough anniversary for her family to be facing today.

On a related note...does anyone know how to contact the moderator of this thread on how to edit the title? It lists Yingying's age as 25, when she was 26 when abducted, and is/would be 27 now.
Just report/alert this post and they'll see it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I wonder if Brendt Christensen is enjoying his Christmas Eve in jail tonight. I wonder if he allegedly had it to do over, if he would allegedly think it was worth it?

Thinking of Ying Ying's family this day and hoping the coming year brings some answers for them.

Thinking of Ying Ying's family this day and hoping the coming year brings some answers for them.
Finally, February isn't so very far away, IF no further delays in the trial... at the very least we should learn if the prosecution plans to seek the death penalty or not, and that answer may well be an indication of how strong they feel their case is, which in turn may say something about how much they know about Yingying's aftermath. Or, maybe there will be a plea agreement by then... Just idle thoughts.

How likely do y'all think it would be that the prosecution will seek the death penalty for Christensen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was an article in the local paper back in late November/early December that was addressing this issue. Basically the experts the were interviewing said it was 50:50 whether or not the DOJ would authorize seeking the death penalty, and they wouldn't be surprised by either outcome.

Back in October, yw0403 posted some links to Chinese media interviews of Zhidong Wang. In one of them, he said prosecutors told the family that they were very confident the evidence would show Christensen is guilty, and they felt that it was likely the DOJ would approve seeking the death penalty.

I've not heard anything more rumor-wise regarding what Christensen did to her. My guess is that it will come down to just how cruel and depraved they think his actions were compared to similar cases. Really no way to tell at this point....

There was an article in the local paper back in late November/early December that was addressing this issue. Basically the experts the were interviewing said it was 50:50 whether or not the DOJ would authorize seeking the death penalty, and they wouldn't be surprised by either outcome.

Back in October, yw0403 posted some links to Chinese media interviews of Zhidong Wang. In one of them, he said prosecutors told the family that they were very confident the evidence would show Christensen is guilty, and they felt that it was likely the DOJ would approve seeking the death penalty.

I've not heard anything more rumor-wise regarding what Christensen did to her. My guess is that it will come down to just how cruel and depraved they think his actions were compared to similar cases. Really no way to tell at this point....

Interesting observation! I always get nervous with death penalty cases without a body/cause of death. I think that was one of the mistakes in the Casey Anthony trial.

How likely do y'all think it would be that the prosecution will seek the death penalty for Christensen?

Little more than a hunch, but for several reasons, I’m guessing 75-80% chance they’ll ask for death penalty (which entails having enough evidence to convince a jury that premeditation-to-kill was involved). If BC claims he only planned to kidnap YZ, and only killed her because he panicked when she fought back or tried to escape, then they might have to settle for 2nd degree murder and life-imprisonment... but I think they'll have enough on him to show otherwise.

This is the first case, of many, that I've followed where people keep bringing up the idea of disposal of the body via incinerator in various contexts (maybe he had access due to his research as a physicist, maybe on a farm). Why has this idea gained so much traction? It seems very unlikely to me. It isn't a very common disposal method, and there are many -- hundreds if not thousands -- of bodies of murdered people that have never turned up or have turned up years after the fact because there is an almost infinite number of places to hide a body.

Firstly, my continued thoughts and prayers are with Yingying's family. While most of us are enjoying the Holidays, they are suffering. I believe if she is found, they may have some closure. How sad she isn't with them to celebrate her birthday.

I apologize for the following content; it is gruesome.

As to the idea of disposing a body in an incinerator, I'm thinking BC planned the entire crime, including how to dispose of any remains. He seems to have a "flair" for the dramatic; this is not a "typical" murder where the victim was shot or stabbed. I can imagine him bragging to any inmates just how the entire crime went down, including the disposal of her remains. I think he dismembered her, then disposed of the remains in various ways.

Because he probably had access to the campus labs, he may have incinerated some remains.

Just MVHO.

I think they will do so, yes (if that's what you are asking).

Search For YingYing Zhang Reaches 200th Day

attachment.php

URBANA — Today marks the 200th day since Yingying Zhang went missing from near a bus stop in the heart of the University of Illinois campus that she had hoped to call home for a while.
The visiting Chinese scholar, an agricultural researcher, would have turned 27 last Thursday.

http://www.news-gazette.com/mary-schenk/2017-12-26/search-yingying-zhang-reaches-200th-day.html

I can't believe this beautiful, intelligent girl has been missing for 200 days... I hope we find her body soon so there can be some closure for the family.

Attachments

• 576982_0611-loca-yingying-zhang.jpg
    576982_0611-loca-yingying-zhang.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 258
Search For YingYing Zhang Reaches 200th Day

http://www.news-gazette.com/mary-schenk/2017-12-26/search-yingying-zhang-reaches-200th-day.html

I can't believe this beautiful, intelligent girl has been missing for 200 days... I hope we find her body soon so there can be some closure for the family.

I was wondering if they would note this. I figured they would have mentioned something when we passed the six month mark a couple of weeks ago, but I guess they were using a milestone of days.

I got back in town today after being out for Christmas and happened to drive by her memorial. Someone put a wreath and some blinking Christmas lights on the tree where she was standing.

Firstly, my continued thoughts and prayers are with Yingying's family. While most of us are enjoying the Holidays, they are suffering. I believe if she is found, they may have some closure. How sad she isn't with them to celebrate her birthday.

I apologize for the following content; it is gruesome.

As to the idea of disposing a body in an incinerator, I'm thinking BC planned the entire crime, including how to dispose of any remains. He seems to have a "flair" for the dramatic; this is not a "typical" murder where the victim was shot or stabbed. I can imagine him bragging to any inmates just how the entire crime went down, including the disposal of her remains. I think he dismembered her, then disposed of the remains in various ways.

Because he probably had access to the campus labs, he may have incinerated some remains.

Just MVHO.

To your point about him bragging to other cons. I could see him doing that, Didn't he say so to his friend while at the vigil? You'de think the cops would put an informer in with him/

New news piece on the case:
https://will.illinois.edu/news/stor...waits-new-year-and-trial-of-accused-kidnapper

...doesn’t add anything new, but these lines are a bit rankling:
Court-appointed public defender Tom Patton told reporters in September that Christensen will have his own story to tell to a jury.
"I ask everyone to recall that he is presumed innocent and the allegations against him are only allegations”, said Patton. “And all you’ve heard so far are one of the parties’ versions of the facts.”
Ughhhh....

To your point about him bragging to other cons. I could see him doing that, Didn't he say so to his friend while at the vigil? You'de think the cops would put an informer in with him/

FWIW, yes, I'm thinking there might be an informer in the same prison facility. Someone who would strike up a conversation with him ("Hey! I heard about your crime, and I'm impressed! What went down?")

We can only hope this is the case.

New news piece on the case:
https://will.illinois.edu/news/stor...waits-new-year-and-trial-of-accused-kidnapper

...doesn’t add anything new, but these lines are a bit rankling:

Ughhhh....

Based on some things I've heard, I have a suspicion about what that story might be, but I don't think it is going to fly at all -especially if Zhidong Wang's quotes from a couple of months ago about prosecutors being very confident in the evidence they have showing she is dead and that Christensen did it are true.

[FONT=&quot]just found this heartbreaking post on yingying's facebook page.
attachment.php

"You may be traveling around the world like a fairy and may want to come back to say hello. We put the light and the bell on the tree so you can see and hear the way. Merry Christmas, Yingying. Merry Christmas, all."

Yingying's page:
https://www.facebook.com/findingyingying/
Yingying's go fund me:
https://www..com/missing-u-of-i-scholar

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Attachments

• yingying memorial.jpg
    yingying memorial.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 221
Status