Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks.
Is it normal procedure to release girlfriend's identity at this stage in proceedings?
I am wondering whether they are particularly young inexperienced defenders, hungry for publicity?

I didn't learn criminal procedure or evidence yet, though I am going through criminal law right now. But, sorry, I really can't say what the rules of evidence are, yet. But after reading through their motion and briefly looking at their bios, they are experienced lawyers with over a decade of experience. So, they know what they are doing. To me, it looks like they are just intent on putting up a fight.

"Recent court filings show that the FBI used canine search teams from as far away as Lake and McHenry counties to help search for her body."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ese-scholar-ui-kidnapping-20180116-story.html

Sorry I misspoke in my earlier comments. I meant ***MCHENRY*** not Henry county. Both Lake and McHenry are north of Chicago and would be on his way to WI. That's why it is interesting to me that they'd want to move the trial from a small city like Champaign to a larger city like Chicago under the guise of a less of a chance of a tainted jury pool.

Sorry for the typos English isn't my first language and I'm on my phone.

I asked Two for the road where he saw this about the search. I'll wait to see what he says, but one of the Chicago newspaper articles said that "cadaver dog teams from as far away as Lake and Henry counties had been used in the search." That made it sound like they brought in dogs from those counties, not like locations in those counties had been searched. Not sure.

I read that to mean that they searched with cadaver dogs in those counties. English isn't my first language so I may have read it wrong.

It's just a little odd to me that they want to move it to Chicago thinking there's a chance that there will be fewer people who have heard of the case there. Rock Island maybe because it's smaller and on the other side of the state.

I'm a she BTW. ;) 👸

I didn't learn criminal procedure or evidence yet, though I am going through criminal law right now. But, sorry, I really can't say what the rules of evidence are, yet. But after reading through their motion and briefly looking at their bios, they are experienced lawyers with over a decade of experience. So, they know what they are doing. To me, it looks like they are just intent on putting up a fight.

JMO
Agree his lawyers are going to put up a fight and he seems to have good lawyers so far.

But after reading through it I think the state and judge will rule against all their claims for a couple reasons.

One is that they have a right to search if they think someone could be being harmed in the house.

And she did sign the search warrant anyway even if they claim it was after a certain point or was coerced out of her. She signed it.

So I think the state will prevail. It does show that he and his defense are going to fight everything in his case.

So lets hope the state dots all the I's and crosses all the T's.

I read that to mean that they searched with cadaver dogs in those counties. English isn't my first language so I may have read it wrong.

It's just a little odd to me that they want to move it to Chicago thinking there's a chance that there will be fewer people who have heard of the case there. Rock Island maybe because it's smaller and on the other side of the state.

I'm a she BTW. ;) 

ok, sorry!

The way would read it is the opposite: they used canine search teams FROM as far away as those two counties; meaning that there were cadaver dog teams located in those counties, and they were employed somewhere (we dont know where) in the search for her remains.

These motions to dismiss are going nowhere. They had every right to search the apartment even though the warrant was just for the vehicle. The girl was missing at the time and they did not know if she was alive or dead. For all they knew, she was locked up in that apartment.

The motion to dismiss is all slanted, spun, facts to help defend Christensen. It sounds good, but it's really just emotional appeals (a knock in the middle of the night! She was naked!) and sophistry. I'm a student and can see through it, the judges surely will as well.

the more I read them, the more I think they are not going to be granted. As you say, having id'd his car as the vehicle in the video and knowing he obviously lied when they first contacted him, this would probably be enough probable cause for them to enter the apartment and look for her, as she could possibly be alive and captive there. That she wasn't there on the 12th should make no difference, as he could have had her hidden somewhere off-site at that time, then brought her back to the apartment later.

They are also objecting to how BC was taken away and separated from his wife, giving him no opportunity to object and deny the search of the apartment without a warrant. Again, they could point out that they had probable cause that at a minimum he lied to investigators on the 12th, and they could have arrested him and taken him into custody -which they ultimately did about two hours later.

The motion to change venue to Chicago or Rock Island will also likely be denied. It is true that there has been lots and lots of local coverage, and it might be difficult to get a local jury that is impartial. However, the central district of Illinois covers an area of 30 counties, and they can draw jurors from any of these counties. They don't have to be C-U residents. There should be plenty of people for them to draw from from more distant areas who have NOT heard a lot about this case and will be untainted.....

the more I read them, the more I think they are not going to be granted. As you say, having id'd his car as the vehicle in the video and knowing he obviously lied when they first contacted him, this would probably be enough probable cause for them to enter the apartment and look for her, as she could possibly be alive and captive there. That she wasn't there on the 12th should make no difference, as he could have had her hidden somewhere off-site at that time, then brought her back to the apartment later.

They are also objecting to how BC was taken away and separated from his wife, giving him no opportunity to object and deny the search of the apartment without a warrant. Again, they could point out that they had probable cause that at a minimum he lied to investigators on the 12th, and they could have arrested him and taken him into custody -which they ultimately did about two hours later.

OK at this point I'm confused. I thought they came to the apt. with a search warrant. Add to that one of the legal residents ( the wife ) gave them permission to search and BOOOM . All legal it would seem. And like someone else noted...with internet and all theres nowhere far enough they can go that people haven't heard of this. BUT, I'll be surprised if this trial starts in Feb. They;ll get a delay, just watch,

OK at this point I'm confused. I thought they came to the apt. with a search warrant. Add to that one of the legal residents ( the wife ) gave them permission to search and BOOOM . All legal it would seem. And like someone else noted...with internet and all theres nowhere far enough they can go that people haven't heard of this. BUT, I'll be surprised if this trial starts in Feb. They;ll get a delay, just watch,

1) warrant was for search of the car, not the apartment.

2) she signed after they had been searching and interviewing her for two hours. They didn't get her signature first. Not sure it matters, and she could have given them verbal permission while they were talking with her, then they had her sign when finished.

3) True about the internet age, but there are even plenty of ppl in the C-U area who aren't following closely. They'll have no trouble finding untainted jurors.

4) They absolutely will get a delay of several months if they seek the death penalty. If not, I think we will start on the 27th as predicted.

They may be able to find jurors who haven't heard of the case.

But wherever they jurors come from, there's going to be an added distaste for this man due to the circumstances. The jurors will likely subconsciously feel an added responsibility towards a young, innocent woman who was a guest in our country who one of our own preyed upon. There was additional horror after the recent NY attack when so many tourists were hurt and killed, and there will be that feeling here as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

"The court gently reminds everyone that neither the attorneys involved, defendant himself, the court, nor the public benefit when a party files a motion filled with hyperbole and inflated claims," Bruce wrote. "Rather, everyone involved is better served during the pretrial process when a collegial and cooperative atmosphere is fostered, and the parties conduct themselves in a professional manner to accomplish the task of being fully and fairly prepared for trial."

I wonder if this is a reference to the further 12 pre-trial motions, not yet ruled upon?

"The court gently reminds everyone that neither the attorneys involved, defendant himself, the court, nor the public benefit when a party files a motion filled with hyperbole and inflated claims," Bruce wrote. "Rather, everyone involved is better served during the pretrial process when a collegial and cooperative atmosphere is fostered, and the parties conduct themselves in a professional manner to accomplish the task of being fully and fairly prepared for trial."

I wonder if this is a reference to the further 12 pre-trial motions, not yet ruled upon?

Yeah, I love those lines from the piece.
I suspect most of the defense’s procedural tactics will utterly fail, but do worry that some of the taped conversations might be deemed inadmissible (and wouldn’t be surprised by a change of venue either).
Our whole criminal-justice system must just look bonkers to the Chinese! :(

And sure wish that ambiguity about "canine search teams from as far away as Lake and McHenry counties to help search for her body" could be better cleared up (were there physical searches IN those counties which would be a huge new piece of info… or as dm92 interprets (and I agree) did the trained dogs simply come from those counties… also, were they truly “search” dogs or were they “cadaver” dogs which tend to be separately trained canines?
Things are beginning to get confusing (and still waiting to hear on the Boyleston body)...

Yeah, I love those lines from the piece.
I suspect most of the defense’s procedural tactics will utterly fail, but do worry that some of the taped conversations might be deemed inadmissible (and wouldn’t be surprised by a change of venue either).
Our whole criminal-justice system must just look bonkers to the Chinese! :(

And sure wish that ambiguity about "canine search teams from as far away as Lake and McHenry counties to help search for her body" could be better cleared up (were there physical searches IN those counties which would be a huge new piece of info… or as dm92 interprets (and I agree) did the trained dogs simply come from those counties… also, were they truly “search” dogs or were they “cadaver” dogs which tend to be separately trained canines?
Things are beginning to get confusing (and still waiting to hear on the Boyleston body)...
Not really following the dog story...i got lost and abandoned that trail..it doesn't matter if they came all the way from Alaska, if they didn't find her..
Legal system looks bonkers to me too and I'm not chinese!
defence releasing information publicly is deeply offensive and deeply shocking to me in all cases I follow.. It appears to make filth of the law, their ethics and almost constitutes victim blaming in many cases, certainly does seek to impugn upon the character integrity and reputation of the victim in very many cases.
They seem to kill them again in a way that frequently leaves no catharsis or route to catharsis for the families of the victims.

Having already 'outed' the wire-wearing girl and impugned on her integrity and sanity by diagnosing her as practically completely deranged, I dread to think what they will do to YY.

They are being extremely provocative. Judge didn't like it.
what is it that they are trying to provoke and where do legal ethics come into play here?
I am sensing an almost out of control ambitious greed with them.
It's not like their client was either a barrel of laughs or a pillar of the community, to begin with.

From the link:

Ugh I know we already know this but I truly hate this "man"
ditto.
There is some ambiguity regarding whether her identification was 100% positive , or bearing a close resemblance to, from previous recent posts..
I would hazard a guess that it was indeed him, however.. older reports we examined did not state definitively or disqualify whether it was suspected to be him or not (ref university police reports)

From the link:

Ugh I know we already know this but I truly hate this "man"

Yep. Ditto this. I'm glad the judge put the kibosh on the defense's "motion inflated with hyperbole and inflated claims". :clap:

Justice for Yingying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member