Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #9 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me neither.

Who would you believe, the FBI or the wife of a killer? Also, she had to recognise her car and him on that video and she also knew of his therapy visits. I cannot believe she has escaped charges TBH.

It certainly boggles the mind.

I'm not good at looking for stuff but this is page 1 of a 19 page document on Kitty's link. Motion for a mistrial. Can anyone explain? You will have to access it via the link and it comes up as a pdf. If anyone savvy can post the whole doc as a pdf file for us all to read that would be helpful.

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT CENTRAL DISTRICT OF ILLINOIS URBANA DIVISION UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, ) ) Plaintiff, ) ) vs. ) Case No.17-20037 ) BRENDT A. CHRISTENSEN, ) ) Defendant. ) MOTION FOR MISTRIAL OR LIMITING INSTRUCTION NOW COMES the Defendant, BRENDT A. CHRISTENSEN, by and through his attorneys, and moves this Court to declare a mistrial or, in the alternative, for a limiting instruction that there is no evidence that Mr. Christensen has twelve prior victims. I. PROCEDURAL HISTORY Prior to trial, the defense moved to exclude Mr. Christensen’s statement to T.B. that Ms. Zhang was his thirteenth victim. Sealed Omnibus Motions In Limine To Exclude Evidence At Trial, Dkt. Entry 239 pp. 17-20. The defense noted that despite extensive investigation the government had found no evidence establishing Mr. Christensen had, in fact, committed any prior homicide. Id. The government responded by admitting “[t]he United States agrees with the defendant that, at this time, it has not obtained any additional credible evidence that the defendant murdered any victim other than Yingying Zhang. Thus, the defendant’s statement may be characterized as braggadocio.” The United States of America’s Response to the Defendant’s Sealed Omnibus Motions In Limine to Exclude Evidence at Trial, Dkt. Entry 281, p. 19.

ETA this is the only document I am able to access. Can anyone else access any?

Last edited:
TBH this is ridiculous if you cannot bring up evidence that has come straight out of the accused's own mouth. I don't think this will fly. Has this already been brought up and I missed it somehow, which is possible, I admit.

I don't think you'll find it. I went back quite a ways (thread 4) looking for it. I found the post with the link, but the link is now dead. Someone (I'm assuming MZ), went to a lot of trouble deleting things from the internet for him.
I think she may have been questioned about deletions, far as I remember she stated she only deleted the post he put on the Urbana College police which was posting updates on the search.. the comment he got her to delete was something like, very, bundyesque, I think. Now, it either came in during the tweetstorms during the court intervals, in which case I would have posted it here, or did I read it?

I don't believe she had the power to delete prior published work, but that vid came in almost 2 yrs ago, far as I remember and many publications just do not archive information. Certainly the smaller ones tend not to.
BUT, I do recall seeing the photos from his school that featured in that video in a more recent publication. They were the same.
The beast might be worth a search?
I know they did a most comprehensive piece about Christensen just after he was arrested, I'm not sure they retain their work though.

Christensen Drove Car 200 Miles in Days Surrounding Zhang’s Disappearance

(There are a lot of other good links at the bottom of this article)

Another article about her testimony
c/p 10% below.

“I felt like our marriage had hit a dead end with his drinking and substance abuse,” Zortman testified.

It’s unclear what exactly Christensen said to his wife that night, but he would later say on an FBI recording that he opened up to her about his fascination with serial killers and it almost led to a divorce.

Zortman moved closer to that option when she was propositioned by a co-worker to enter into an open marriage and begin dating other people. Christensen was initially reluctant, but ended up agreeing to the arrangement and eventually began dating another woman, Terra Bullis, in 2017.

The couple continued living together, but Zortman said she started to become more leery of her husband after he was initially brought in for questioning by the FBI about Zhang’s disappearance.

She no longer slept in the same bed as Christensen and kept objects by her bedroom door that would wake her up if he tried to enter the room at night.

After he was arrested, Zortman said she eventually learned Christensen had indeed killed Zhang.

“I know he’s responsible for her death,” she testified.

Still, Zortman has kept in contact with Christensen, whom she has since divorced, during his incarceration. Why?

“He was the biggest person in my life for almost a decade,” she testified. “It’s very difficult to cut ties like that.”

‘I’ve always been interested in the bad guys’

Last edited:
The very brief asked-for clip (few seconds) of MZ walking (statuesquely!) to courthouse is at around the 1:05 point in this news report:
Day 8: Ex-wife takes the stand; prosecution rests case in Chinese scholar’s slaying trial

As to why she testified for the Defense, I'm not even clear how she helped his cause (or was she just trying to 'humanize' him); she didn't help the Prosecution much, but I don't see that she helped the Defense either; just matter-of-fact testimony.

Supposedly (as I understand it), "mental health" is off the table as a mitigating factor in the penalty phase, yet it's a fine line between discussing mental health versus discussing his trips to the counseling center (that the Defense emphasizes) which 'failed' him.

Last edited:
The very brief asked-for clip (few seconds) of MZ walking (statuesquely!) to courthouse is at around the 1:05 point in this news report:
Day 8: Ex-wife takes the stand; prosecution rests case in Chinese scholar’s slaying trial

As to why she testified for the Defense, I'm not even clear how she helped his cause (or was she just trying to 'humanize' him); she didn't help the Prosecution much but I don't see that she helped the Defense either; just matter-of-fact testimony.
Supposedly (as I understand it), "mental health" is off the table as a mitigating factor in the penalty phase, yet it's a fine line between discussing mental health versus discussing his trips to the counseling center (that the Defense emphasizes) which 'failed' him.

It should be well off the table but I think Zoline's testimony has now been allowed. Also, by using the recording of his therapy visit in guilt phase, it was a sneak-in.
We'll be crucified by it yet again, I fear.
She didn't do a whole pile for him, but she would have served her own self better by refusing to do it at all, or anything for him.

I'm not good at looking for stuff but this is page 1 of a 19 page document on Kitty's link. Motion for a mistrial. Can anyone explain? You will have to access it via the link and it comes up as a pdf. If anyone savvy can post the whole doc as a pdf file for us all to read that would be helpful.

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT CENTRAL DISTRICT OF ILLINOIS URBANA DIVISION UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, ) ) Plaintiff, ) ) vs. ) Case No.17-20037 ) BRENDT A. CHRISTENSEN, ) ) Defendant. ) MOTION FOR MISTRIAL OR LIMITING INSTRUCTION NOW COMES the Defendant, BRENDT A. CHRISTENSEN, by and through his attorneys, and moves this Court to declare a mistrial or, in the alternative, for a limiting instruction that there is no evidence that Mr. Christensen has twelve prior victims. I. PROCEDURAL HISTORY Prior to trial, the defense moved to exclude Mr. Christensen’s statement to T.B. that Ms. Zhang was his thirteenth victim. Sealed Omnibus Motions In Limine To Exclude Evidence At Trial, Dkt. Entry 239 pp. 17-20. The defense noted that despite extensive investigation the government had found no evidence establishing Mr. Christensen had, in fact, committed any prior homicide. Id. The government responded by admitting “[t]he United States agrees with the defendant that, at this time, it has not obtained any additional credible evidence that the defendant murdered any victim other than Yingying Zhang. Thus, the defendant’s statement may be characterized as braggadocio.” The United States of America’s Response to the Defendant’s Sealed Omnibus Motions In Limine to Exclude Evidence at Trial, Dkt. Entry 281, p. 19.

ETA this is the only document I am able to access. Can anyone else access any?

Just guessing but I wonder if the part I bolded above and below means the Defense was offering an alternative to the judge that they wanted the Prosecution to admit that there is no evidence he killed 12 prior victims. Maybe they knew the judge would not allow a mistrial but wanted the jury to hear from the prosecution that they admit no evidence to any prior murders.

I think it did come out in testimony about that. Not sure if it was forced out in testimony by this filing or not.

"the Defendant, BRENDT A. CHRISTENSEN, by and through his attorneys, and moves this Court to declare a mistrial or, in the alternative, for a limiting instruction that there is no evidence that Mr. Christensen has twelve prior victims."

As to why she testified for the Defense, I'm not even clear how she helped his cause (or was she just trying to 'humanize' him); she didn't help the Prosecution much, but I don't see that she helped the Defense either; just matter-of-fact testimony.

TY Webthrush but it isn't available to EU readers. I'll just have to keep looking. It does help if posters can copy/paste a relevant bit from the article too because lot of links are not available to EU readers and also links don't always stay active.

Just guessing but I wonder if the part I bolded above and below means the Defense was offering an alternative to the judge that they wanted the Prosecution to admit that there is no evidence he killed 12 prior victims. Maybe they knew the judge would not allow a mistrial but wanted the jury to hear from the prosecution that they admit no evidence to any prior murders.

I think it did come out in testimony about that. Not sure if it was forced out in testimony by this filing or not.

"the Defendant, BRENDT A. CHRISTENSEN, by and through his attorneys, and moves this Court to declare a mistrial or, in the alternative, for a limiting instruction that there is no evidence that Mr. Christensen has twelve prior victims."

This motion is only dated the 21st June though which was only on Friday.

Perhaps prosecution will mention there is no evidence for the 12 victims in their summing up, then the motion will be satisfied, presumably. Will have to watch for it Monday. It will still be in the jurors minds I think.

Last edited:
This whole case continues to not
Make sense. BC is arrested 6/30/17 and they state “FBI presumes her dead”. They’re main reason for arrest was the tape at the vigil, where he states “ I carried her to my bath tub, and cut her head off “ but yet they took apart his bathroom and found NO DNA. Why is that statement allowed to stay in the evidence, but the 13 victims is not? Why is MZ testifying about knife sharpening? That’s literally the ONLY thing she asked him to do? BS. Why does BC open up so quickly to TB about his murder after only a 2 month relationship , but his wife/partner of 10 years knew nothing about it.

Why did Brendt claim he was “good at this” when the FBI clearly had the murder weapon, his car still impounded with the FBI, and even told TB “I know they’re following me “

Make sense. BC is arrested 6/30/17 and they state “FBI presumes her dead”. They’re main reason for arrest was the tape at the vigil, where he states “ I carried her to my bath tub, and cut her head off “ but yet they took apart his bathroom and found NO DNA. Why is that statement allowed to stay in the evidence, but the 13 victims is not? Why is MZ testifying about knife sharpening? That’s literally the ONLY thing she asked him to do? BS. Why does BC open up so quickly to TB about his murder after only a 2 month relationship , but his wife/partner of 10 years knew nothing about it.
Why did Brendt claim he was “good at this” when the FBI clearly had the murder weapon, his car still impounded with the FBI, and even told TB “I know they’re following me “

Yes, I agree with most of this… there’s much in the case that just doesn’t make common sense or ring very true. No doubt BC is guilty (and as far as I’m concerned deserves DP), but I don’t think we yet know the truth/accuracy of just what occurred, let alone the questions that haven’t been answered at all yet. Still hoping we do get to the fuller truth.

Isn't the trial about 1 victim, ? The other 12 victims trial will come in due time ? No ?

Again, I think the Prosecution was amazingly vague about what happened after YY enters BC’s vehicle… how quickly, and how and where, she was disabled? Did he or did he not then drive straight back to the apt. or go elsewhere first? How did he get her inside apt. so confidently unseen, unheard, in broad daylight?
I have my own suppositions about all this by now (including that she was deceased within 90 mins. of getting in car), but am amazed there wasn’t more detail offered at trial.

More detail may have been offered in the trial, via tape recording and transcripts of what BC told Bullis, and we don't know the details because no one tweeted any of them out, and we haven't seen the trial transcripts yet.

Here in he US, what your car "clocks" refers to how fast it can drive a quarter mile. :)
It's an expression here. Selling cars would be described as 'clocked at'
Cars are female here. Her.
They might ask re mileage 'how much is on her?' or' what's she clocked at?'
I was asking people that question on Twitter yesterday and I was wondering why they weren't replying to me!
Yeah, she probably did not have a clue though she was on a very tight budget.
That was stressing him out more than the loss of her. He'd have to get a job even ! A real job! And he'd been indulged for a full 8 years and he didn't know how he'd exist in changed circumstances, his texts to TB...

He was referring to hiding odies when he said he was 'good at this'
he was not engaged in a bDSM relationship with his wife, she testified.
She had her own BDSM thingy going with her workmate/partner. If you read the transcript of their texts to eachother, bdsm parlance, TB

seemed to prefer the more violent end of the sphere. It's possible he thought she would get pleasure from the telling, he knew it was unlikely Michelle would. He was also in a hurry to replace Michelle as provider general and he didn't want to get a job. It's also possible, if not likely that he was looking for a partner in crime to share his future victims. He suggested as much on vigil march 'lets follow her home'

I agree with you regarding bathroom antics discussed on vigil tape.
And even though we are doing this the hard way, depending on crumbs for information, we do have the exhibit list and it includes the forensic reports which prove this fact. No DNA.

Regarding the forensic reports of the bedroom, where there is DNA and blood, I was unable to get any kind of idea as to the quantity of that blood. Just presence.

It was under the carpet which might suggest that it was so extensive that it soaked right through the carpet.
The truth might well be that he soaked the carpet so much while trying to clean up that he diluted the blood considerable and it was the density of the washing rather than the bleeding that carried it through.

There was one thing that struck me regarding the forensic pathologist's testimony, she said she had only tested one third of the kitchen implements and when asked why, she said she was led by the agent that gave her the cutlery and the other untested materials.
That's pretty damning.

They still have killing and torture, from bedroom evidence. Probably. Possibly.
dNA on the bat is dna on the bat but the source of the dna has not een ascertained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay