Illegal/Underground Adoption Theories and leads

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm wondering if Gabriel could be passed off in an adoption as being Russian or Eastern European. Would a couple under the impression they were adopting Internationally even be the wiser if they were handed Gabriel by an agent? If his hair had been cut, buzzed even, would they even recognize him as the missing child from Az.?
I found this website and it just got me to thinking of the possibility.
http://positivelyorphaned.org/2010/01/31/waiting-child-photolisting/

I'm wondering if Gabriel could be passed off in an adoption as being Russian or Eastern European. Would a couple under the impression they were adopting Internationally even be the wiser if they were handed Gabriel by an agent? If his hair had been cut, buzzed even, would they even recognize him as the missing child from Az.?

I know exactly what you mean...I lost count of the number of adoption, U.S. and international, websites I researched over the weekend. I found myself comparing all the pictures of the couples on the potential adoptive parent profiles with the description given by EJ about the couple she said she gave G to. You wouldn't believe how many fit the description of tall man with short black hair and female with long blonde hair.

With a baby who's not talking yet I don't see how you'd know. Any belongings or clothing can be passed off as recently acquired. Without language everything I can think of can very easily be explained away.

Dad wins sole custody of missing 'Baby Gabriel'
March 26, 2010 - 3:20PM

Private investigator Ken Gamble, who is working with the McQuearys in the search for Gabriel, said there is no evidence indicating that Johnson sold Gabriel in an underground adoption, but said there are indications she gave him to someone she entrusted who has the boy in hiding.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/152240

Fly on the wall would love to know what those "indications" are...

Transcribed from video below:

Reporter: A lot of people suspect that the baby was illegally adopted. Is that kind of your hunch based on what you've learned in the past month or two.

Logan: We have a lot of different things that we're working on right now. I think we're kind of leaning away from that.

Reporter: Leaning away from that and maybe thinking what?

Logan: Right now I can't say that.

http://www.azfamily.com/video/featu...lk-about-the-search-for-his-son-90215187.html

Dad wins sole custody of missing 'Baby Gabriel'
March 26, 2010 - 3:20PM

Private investigator Ken Gamble, who is working with the McQuearys in the search for Gabriel, said there is no evidence indicating that Johnson sold Gabriel in an underground adoption, but said there are indications she gave him to someone she entrusted who has the boy in hiding.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/152240

I putting my money on someone is So. La. that drove to SA to pick up Gabriel. Maybe they were there visiting family for the holidays, at the end of their visit they swing by the park, collect Gabriel and head back to So. La. and he's probably being shuttled among family members and friends as we speak. jmo :banghead:

I putting my money on someone is So. La. that drove to SA to pick up Gabriel. Maybe they were there visiting family for the holidays, at the end of their visit they swing by the park, collect Gabriel and head back to So. La. and he's probably being shuttled among family members and friends as we speak. jmo :banghead:

wouldn't surprise me !

I ran across an article yesterday about a man, John Wyatt, who "lost" custody of his baby girl after the mother gave birth (10-Feb-2009), left the hospital, met up w/ an adoption agency rep from Utah -- in a Fairfield Inn HOTEL for 2 days....The couple also spent time in a hotel....Wyatt is fighting for custody -- "Attorneys for the [eta: Utah] couple say Wyatt, of Dumfries [eta: Virginia], failed to assert his parental rights in time to contest the adoption."

Some snippets:

The surprise pregnancy came in May 2008. "She started crying, but I was happy," Wyatt said. "My father died when I was 10, so I've always wanted to be there for my children."

Wyatt argued vehemently against Fahland's decision to put the baby up for adoption. The couple talked of raising the child together and, eventually, getting married, Wyatt said.

On Feb. 5, 2009, Fahland sent Wyatt a text message that has become central in the dispute. Wyatt recalls that Fahland texted him that she was "receiving information" from a Utah adoption agency. He immediately called her, and says she assured him that they would make a decision jointly -- and that she'd alert him the minute she went into labor.

In their final conversation, about 11 hours before the birth, Wyatt says, Fahland vowed they would raise the baby together. Gustafson declined to comment on what Fahland said.

In documents given to Wyatt's attorneys during pretrial discovery, Fahland said Emma was born at Potomac Hospital at 11:02 a.m. Feb. 10.

Fahland and the baby spent Feb. 11 and 12 at the Fairfield Inn in Woodbridge along with an employee of A Act of Love, the Utah adoption agency, court documents show. Fahland signed the adoption consent forms Feb. 12 in the presence of that employee, Laraine Moon. The agency did not return telephone calls, and it is unclear how or when the agency got involved with Fahland.

Court records show that the Zarembinskis cared for Emma at a hotel in Woodbridge before flying her to Utah.

The case, which has become the talk of the nation's close-knit circle of adoption lawyers since the Wyatts appeared on the "Dr. Phil" show, is the latest to spotlight Utah adoption laws that experts say are unusually tough on unmarried fathers. Lawyers cite at least 10 recent cases in which babies were taken to or born in Utah and adopted without an out-of-state father's consent.

In one case, the Utah Supreme Court last year ruled in favor of an unwed Wyoming mother who falsely told the father she miscarried, traveled to Utah to deliver the baby girl and put her up for adoption. "Utah risks becoming a magnet for those seeking to unfairly cut off opportunities for biological fathers to assert their rights to connection with their children," Chief Justice Christine Durham wrote in dissent.

Joan Hollinger, a University of California at Berkeley professor and a leading authority on adoption law, called Utah's decisions in the Baby Emma case "outrageous" because Wyatt filed for custody in Virginia just eight days after Emma's birth. Utah laws and court decisions, she said, "make it virtually impossible for an out-of-state father to prevent the adoption of an out-of-wedlock child when the mother is determined to go forward."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/13/AR2010041302445.html

(note: free registration may be required)

This case is a mess - and IMO, totally unfair to Wyatt!!....maybe there's another Utah couple involved in baby Gabe's disappearance, and of course, maybe not.

I was just struck by how this all went down in Baby Emma's case & thought I'd post it here because of similarities (hotels, text messaging, disappearing mom & baby, etc.)

I was reading a few days ago about the Wyoming father's plight. I had actually wondered if EJ had read about it and how the courts were circumventing the father eventhough he can prove he never agreed to give up his child and had actually prevented her from giving the child up in two other states. That's why she finally went to Utah.

This is a theory they could look into. I'm not sure how far they would get,but they could try at least making a few phone calls. Of course, it seems these people will do whatever it takes to keep the child from the father. :(

JMHO
fran

OTOH, TS was in contact with her friend (who handled adoptions) in Tn, AND she had her talk to EJ so there's records of phone calls, AND IIRC, there's information the person from Tn MAY have been in Texas during the same time period, some sort of 'child pagent' or something. I can't recall exact details unless I go back through the pages and pages and pages..............it was a different Tx city though.

TS has said several things that she 'claimed' were clues that turned out to be completely false, ie the 'park,' not mentioning putting her cousin's name on the court documents, claiming Logan threatened her when he in fact recorded the phone call and there was no threat.

TS had everyone looking for witnesses and clues in one park, when it was an entirely different park. TS was 'pretending' to want to just get Gabriel back for Logan all the while she was scheming to get custody herself, even going so boldly forward to contacting a judge. She's devious, imho.

TS and JS claimed they were fairly certain Gabriel is being hidden and most likely disguised as a girl. Maybe that was to set people off on a wild goose chase. Perhaps he's just what he is, a boy, but with died, black or brown hair.

Perhaps LE should send out flyers to pediatric organizations. Someone who adopted a child that was 8 or 9 months old?

I think they should check again in Tn. EVERYWHERE TS & JS have connections. La, Tx, Tn, Ca, Az,....?

Just an idea,
fran

PS........I'd still like to know what their (TS & JS) alibi is for the week of 12/23/09 to 12/30 or 12/31/09. that, imho, is a MUST!

OTOH, TS was in contact with her friend (who handled adoptions) in Tn, AND she had her talk to EJ so there's records of phone calls, AND IIRC, there's information the person from Tn MAY have been in Texas during the same time period, some sort of 'child pagent' or something. I can't recall exact details unless I go back through the pages and pages and pages..............it was a different Tx city though.

BBM. That was an unfortunate mistake. The way the mistake occurred and was discovered is recorded in the JM thread.

Based on what Mr.Gamble said....he's not in TX. or so he thinks, and no adoption... After thinking about this long and VERY hard, I don't think he's in the obvious places we think he is...where that is...i'm still thinkin! JMO

Six months is very significant in adoption in Texas...the prospective adoptive child must live in the home with the prospective adoptive parents for a minimum of six months before an adoption can be finalized. That six months mark will be June 27th for Gabriel, on or anytime after that date an adoption can occur in a Texas court if the adoptive family is homestudy approved and the appropriate affidavit to adopt has been filed with the courts. 31 days and Gabriel might be legally adopted in a Texas court.

Six months is very significant in adoption in Texas...the prospective adoptive child must live in the home with the prospective adoptive parents for a minimum of six months before an adoption can be finalized. That six months mark will be June 27th for Gabriel, on or anytime after that date an adoption can occur in a Texas court if the adoptive family is homestudy approved and the appropriate affidavit to adopt has been filed with the courts. 31 days and Gabriel might be legally adopted in a Texas court.

Just to make sure it's clear for anyone new to the case, Gabe cannot be legally adopted by anyone. Even if someone managed to make it through the process without discovering that their paperwork was illegal or forged or fake, and who the baby they're trying to adopt is and what his situation is, the adoption would not be legal.

Gabe's father, Logan, has never agreed to an adoption of any kind, has never signed a single paper to indicate anything of the sort - no guardianship, no foster parenting, no custody, no adoption, no nothing.

Gabe is Logan's son, and can not be legally adopted by anyone. Logan has never, and will never, agree to an adoption - he is Gabriel's father, was granted full, permanent, legal custody of Gabe, and Logan wants his baby boy back with him where he belongs.

I agree with you 100% BeanE but legal or otherwise he can be adopted and once that occurs, if it occurs, it will take an act of congress to overturn the adoption. I say that only because of the Texas laws and the punitive father registry. There's a reason she came to Texas and I think the fact that an adoption can occur here without the fathers consent is the reason she came here. It makes me sick to think it can happen but unfortunately, it can.

I agree with you 100% BeanE but legal or otherwise he can be adopted and once that occurs, if it occurs, it will take an act of congress to overturn the adoption. I say that only because of the Texas laws and the punitive father registry. There's a reason she came to Texas and I think the fact that an adoption can occur here without the fathers consent is the reason she came here. It makes me sick to think it can happen but unfortunately, it can.

I think AZlawyer has made clear otherwise, such as in these posts of hers in the Legal questions thread:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4795480&postcount=14"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Legal and Law Questions - * No Discussion *[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4801219&postcount=16"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Legal and Law Questions - * No Discussion *[/ame]

If you have links to substantiate otherwise, please provide them, because you are stating these things as if they are fact. If you're stating your opinion, that's fine, but in that case, you need to make it clear that it's your opinion, and not fact.

Thanks,
BeanE

I think AZlawyer has made clear otherwise, such as in these posts of hers in the Legal questions thread:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Legal and Law Questions - * No Discussion *

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Legal and Law Questions - * No Discussion *

If you have links to substantiate otherwise, please provide them, because you are stating these things as if they are fact. If you're stating your opinion, that's fine, but in that case, you need to make it clear that it's your opinion, and not fact.

Thanks,
BeanE

I will attempt clarify my statement. If EJ gave Gabriel to a couple who wished to adopt I believe the couple can go to court on June 27th or any time after that date in the State of Texas and attempt to have the adoption finalized. Of course nothing about it would be legal because we know Logan never terminated his parental rights but the courts don't know that, all they know is the paperwork in front of them. If that paperwork is in order (falsified or otherwise) then I believe the court could finalize the adoption. Whether or not Logan signed anything is not an issue in Texas.

If a biological father is not cooperative with the birth mother in her adoption plan, or if the identity or whereabouts of the biological father are unknown, his rights may be terminated without notice by use of the Texas Paternity Registry. Texas law requires a biological father to register with the Texas Paternity Registry within 31 days of the birth of the child. If the biological father fails to register, the Court may terminate the rights of the biological father due to his failure to register as required by state law.
http://www.adoptionaccess.com/texas_laws.htm

I will attempt clarify my statement. If EJ gave Gabriel to a couple who wished to adopt I believe the couple can go to court on June 27th or any time after that date in the State of Texas and attempt to have the adoption finalized. Of course nothing about it would be legal because we know Logan never terminated his parental rights but the courts don't know that, all they know is the paperwork in front of them. If that paperwork is in order (falsified or otherwise) then I believe the court could finalize the adoption. Whether or not Logan signed anything is not an issue in Texas.

If a biological father is not cooperative with the birth mother in her adoption plan, or if the identity or whereabouts of the biological father are unknown, his rights may be terminated without notice by use of the Texas Paternity Registry. Texas law requires a biological father to register with the Texas Paternity Registry within 31 days of the birth of the child. If the biological father fails to register, the Court may terminate the rights of the biological father due to his failure to register as required by state law.

Now that LE is involved, doesn't the above change, by a lot??

I'd love for this couple (if they indeed exists and have Gabriel) to go finalize the adoption. If this happened,it's GOOOD news cuz at least Logan and we know that Gabe is alive and it's just legal battles going fwd, but at least we KNOW for certain Gabe is alive.

bbm- EJ showed up in SA with a fake Texas id. Makes sense that she would also have a fake birth certificate for Gabe. One that left off the father. Whatever the truth is about Texas law, I think EJ and others believed this was a loophole they could exploit. If Gabe is found, I think he will go home- judges in Texas, including appellate judges have to run for office- they will find their own loophole and do the right thing- IMHO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat
Back