Imperfect Justice-Prosecuting Casey Anthony by Jeff Ashton

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be waiting for the cha-cha-cha - (fullstop) Bombshell! as a routine...
Actually that would work better in a conga line...:innocent:

I keep wondering if she's going to let her partner lead. :bigfight:

BBM. I agree. However ...

There is winning and there is 'winning' at any cost via every trick. Sleaze?

I would much rather read about someone who is a consumate professional, who is ethical, plays by the rules, did not use and manipulate the media both before and during the trial (JB, AL, LKB) and played fast and loose with the truth to victimize others and the system.

I would never want to read a book from any member of the FCA DT and especially not CM or JB. They are not someone to admire, to learn from their brilliance (?) or, ever use them as a baseline standard. Quite the opposite!

I am interested in hearing from both. Should any members of the DT put forth a book, I would be just as interested in reading that as I am in reading JA's book. I would like to know what was going on from the points of view of both sides. I feel this gives me a more well rounded basis in trying to understand how this verdict came to be. I would also be very interested in reading a book from a juror, or a book cowritten by several jurors. Of the 3 sides, prosecution, defense, and jury, I would most like to read from the jury. Although I don't know everything that went on behind the scenes with the PT and the DT, what really interests me is what went on in deliberation.

All I can tell you is that his actions totally turned me "off". He was practically
"high-fiving" it as he walked into the courtroom to hear the verdict only to find out they'd lost. And then he was on the first plane to NYC to be on TV (which was probably pre-arranged thinking he would be the victor). IMO, he was seeing dollar signs from the very beginning. I thought the other two prosecutors did an excellent job.

Although I did not care for some of JA's actions. I am still interested in reading his book. I agree that the other two prosecutors did an excellent job. JA's comment about the pigs in a blanket, his laughing moment during JB's closing statement, and his often animated expressions did not appeal to me. Nor did JB's comment about who cut the cheese, his six shooter moment, aaaannnnddd the aaaannnnddd or ummmm. I was not pleased with CM when he was rude to the witness, and although I understand why he flipped that one reporter the bird, I would have prefered he had refrained from doing so. Although I understand the DT celebration, it would have been better for all had they done so behind closed curtains. LDB did very well overall, although my one big disappointment with her was over the 84 times, which depending on which story you choose to believe may not have been her fault. Mr. George did very well also.

Just the same, all these people are just that, people. This was a high profile, high stress trial. Considering the very few moments of human error during the trial, overall, they all did a very good job in the trial of the century.

I had to read all the discovery myself. I did not want to hear someone else's version of what this document said or meant, until I knew what it said and meant to me. That is another big reason I want to read JA's book. I first want to read it, so I know what is said and what it means to me, before I hear what it means or says to someone else. That is the very same reason I have for wanting to read any book by any of the dt, pt, or jury.

As always, my entire post is my opinion only.

Although I did not care for some of JA's actions. I am still interested in reading his book. I agree that the other two prosecutors did an excellent job. JA's comment about the pigs in a blanket, his laughing moment during JB's closing statement, and his often animated expressions did not appeal to me. Nor did JB's comment about who cut the cheese, his six shooter moment, aaaannnnddd the aaaannnnddd or ummmm. I was not pleased with CM when he was rude to the witness, and although I understand why he flipped that one reporter the bird, I would have prefered he had refrained from doing so. Although I understand the DT celebration, it would have been better for all had they done so behind closed curtains. LDB did very well overall, although my one big disappointment with her was over the 84 times, which depending on which story you choose to believe may not have been her fault. Mr. George did very well also.

Just the same, all these people are just that, people. This was a high profile, high stress trial. Considering the very few moments of human error during the trial, overall, they all did a very good job in the trial of the century.

I had to read all the discovery myself. I did not want to hear someone else's version of what this document said or meant, until I knew what it said and meant to me. That is another big reason I want to read JA's book. I first want to read it, so I know what is said and what it means to me, before I hear what it means or says to someone else. That is the very same reason I have for wanting to read any book by any of the dt, pt, or jury.

As always, my entire post is my opinion only.

I enjoyed reading your post. I too read a majority of the discovery in this case.I will also admit that I learned a lot by getting others point of view on said material.I will read JA book to see if I can get some insight on this case of things I may have missed.

We're starting to veer off the topic in here. Let's get back on track. :kimsterwink:

I'll be waiting for the cha-cha-cha - (fullstop) Bombshell! as a routine...
Actually that would work better in a conga line...:innocent:

Logicalgirl, Caused me to literally LOL.
cha-cha-cha bomshell:great:

I apologize Kimster. Back on topic.

My apologies O Great One With Ray-Gun - the visuals were getting to us..:great:

I like to hear from Jeff Ashton the man. I want his candid comments about working this trial now he has retired. I'm hoping he isn't keeping his prosecutorial hat on too tightly while he writes his comments for this book.

Then I'd like Book Two to be about his esteemed career.

During the trial Jeff proved he is one smart lawyer . I hope his book spills some dirty little secrets. Since the trial is over, can he legally tell us things about JBaez and the rest of the DT?

Can't help but wonder, did Mr. Ashton have a guy feeling about how the trial would end? I felt like the state was blindsided when the not guilty verdict was read.

Can't help but wonder, did Mr. Ashton have a guy feeling about how the trial would end? I felt like the state was blindsided when the not guilty verdict was read.

I'm a guy and I had feelings about how this trial would end. Or do you mean a gut feeling?LOL.

During the trial Jeff proved he is one smart lawyer . I hope his book spills some dirty little secrets. Since the trial is over, can he legally tell us things about JBaez and the rest of the DT?
I don't see why not. He is not bound by attorney-client privilege as a defense attorney is.

Lord have mercy, sorry I meant a gut feeling. We're watching the Cable Guy........:great:

I wasn't sure Americka. Thanks for your response.

And to add to Americka's post, as a member of the Florida Bar [I assume] he would probably not use crude or vulgar language to describe Baez.But then again, maybe Jeff isn't going to practice law anymore and will let it fly.MOO.

Interesting. How did you feel about Baez actually double-gunning at the camera while waiting for the verdict, and being on tv all the preceding years?

Not to mention Mason flipping the bird to reporters??? Strange how what's good for the goose is not good for the gander huh?

It's interesting how people are using the word "won" in a criminal case.

THIS WAS NOT A GAME!

Either way you look at it a defendant's life was on the line and a innocent 2 year old child was violently murdered.

This case could never end in "winning". If that were the case then little Miss Caylee Marie would have been attending kindergarten this year. As it turns out she's not, because she was murdered by her mother. And will never be able to experience all that life has to offer.

And I don't care what others say about well Casey Anthony was found "not guilty", not guilty doesn't mean innocent. And she's not and never will be. She got lucky because the Pinellas 12 were lazy and couldn't be bothered to even LOOK at a single piece of evidence. They wanted to swim in pretty swimming pools and couldn't be bothered with justice for a dead 2 year old girl.

No, there is no winning in this case and any suggestion of the kind is a insult to the memory of a child who should still be alive to enjoy life.

I just had a thought when looking back on this case, and who I would really like to hear from.

Obviously, with this being a thread for Jeff Ashton, that is just a given. It goes without question that I would also love to hear from FG and Linda at some point in time as well.

But, what about that other "Jose" - remember the one that C_____y had the hots for?
Once those jail house letters were released, that man was gone like a BOOH on a fast track.
He might have some interesting insight ~ along with that woman that was rumored to have been a sec'y for B___z at one time that walked out in disgust early on as well. Not sure if she was just an urban legend type thing or not??

But, that "other Jose" spent a LOT of time with C_____y, and he might have some stories to tell that I would be interested in hearing about.

Not to mention Mason flipping the bird to reporters??? Strange how what's good for the goose is not good for the gander huh?

It's interesting how people are using the word "won" in a criminal case.

THIS WAS NOT A GAME!

Either way you look at it a defendant's life was on the line and a innocent 2 year old child was violently murdered.

This case could never end in "winning". If that were the case then little Miss Caylee Marie would have been attending kindergarten this year. As it turns out she's not, because she was murdered by her mother. And will never be able to experience all that life has to offer.

And I don't care what others say about well Casey Anthony was found "not guilty", not guilty doesn't mean innocent. And she's not and never will be. She got lucky because the Pinellas 12 were lazy and couldn't be bothered to even LOOK at a single piece of evidence. They wanted to swim in pretty swimming pools and couldn't be bothered with justice for a dead 2 year old girl.

No, there is no winning in this case and any suggestion of the kind is a insult to the memory of a child who should still be alive to enjoy life.

Just a quick click of the "Thank You" simply was not enough!

You are ever so correct.

This was NOT a game.

Though I personally believe that there were a few people that were on a payroll that certainly thought of it those terms.
A "win".

And that is so sad, because as you pointed out, Caylee is the one that really lost.

She lost everything.

"Ya hear that CASEY???? It wasn't you that had everything taken away, it wasn't you that lost everything, it was your baby".

And, now we are all left here watching your legal team play legal games with the court system, keeping the courts tied up in paperwork and additional lawsuits and appeals; so that you and your family can reap some rewards, and your team can clean up the gravy off the plate that you served them.

So, yeah, I'm glad that Mr. Ashton wrote this book, and I'll be reading it. And, if there is anyone out there that can't afford it, once I"m done with it, I'll "send it forward".

Thank You again for your wonderful post JSR ~ Well said.

I am interested in hearing from both. Should any members of the DT put forth a book, I would be just as interested in reading that as I am in reading JA's book. I would like to know what was going on from the points of view of both sides. I feel this gives me a more well rounded basis in trying to understand how this verdict came to be. I would also be very interested in reading a book from a juror, or a book cowritten by several jurors. Of the 3 sides, prosecution, defense, and jury, I would most like to read from the jury. Although I don't know everything that went on behind the scenes with the PT and the DT, what really interests me is what went on in deliberation.

Of those the DT are most likely to spin and reinvent history versus provide the real behind-the-scenes scoop, who orchestrated the strategy, when, etc? Credit would not go to those who deserve it since there was a large extended team and too many egos ... I suspect it was not the high profile names that engineered the defense.

I am not so keen on fairy tales ... I'd like the facts.

My opinion would be the same no matter which lawyer it was, defense or prosecution. The quick publication to capitalize on the public's interest in this case is a big part of it; I think that cheapens the book and brings it down to tabloid-level. The proposed cover (and I hope it changes, but doubt it) doesn't help. It looks more like a tacky true-crime mass market paperback than what it should have been--a serious look at a case by one of the key participants. The fact that the book's about this one case rather than a true memoir or recap of a long career is another factor. 250 pages just is not enough to say much of anything; I think, though, that it would have taken more time to come up with something better and the publisher and writer(s) couldn't risk missing out sales by delaying the book.

If someone on the defense team came out with a book right now, I'd think the same thing. I don't think they're any more able to take an objective look at their performance and at the case right now than a prosecutor is. The winner runs the risk of gloating too much and the loser runs the risk of playing the blame-game too much and sounding like a whiner.

I'm a writer (yeah, yeah, past life a dental assistant, lol) and have done work with/am friends with other published authors and, unless this is a self-published book, which I don't believe it is, a lot of what you've mentioned is not controlled by Mr. Ashton. I'd venture to guess he worked with a ghost writer. (I know people who do this too.) And yes, this book would have been in the pipeline for at least a year. (Just to go from your editor to a copy editor to line editor, reread one more time (writer), then to print.... 6 months at the soonest.) That's 6 months after it's turned in by the writer. Usually it's longer. (The publishing company is doing the same exact process with hundreds of other authors at the same time.)

My guess is he's been working on it at least for the last year with a ghost writer. He didn't just pound out the bulk of this book in the last two months.

The publishing company isn't in the business to 'do crime cases justice', so to speak. They are out to make money. Period. It would not be smart of them NOT to capitalize on getting this book out as fast as they can, before people forget about the case completely. (I don't mean people like us, who followed it so closely, but the general public who are impulse book buyers.) Frankly, hats off to whoever is publishing him because they know the U.S. public would more likely spit on a book by Casey than buy it. Same with Baez. Probably the same with George and Cindy. From a business persepctive, he was the smartest choice.

And the book cover ... I've never met an author (except a self published one) who got to pick their covers. I've had friends be assigned some pretty bad covers. The publishing company has an art department, and they assign you one! If you're Nora Roberts, you might have some pull, but ...

Most people buy true crime according to subject, and the cover won't affect them one way or another. Now a woman buying romance ... cover matters more there.

And on word count/page count. That'll remain to be seen. A good editor can go a long way. If the book is written and edited tightly, you don't need 450 pages. I've read/pre-edited books that were long on pages and short on substance. Average fiction novel length is 300-350 pages. That's fiction with fluff, sex scenes and feelings built in. For true crime, just the facts, ma'am, and a slice of author insight ... 250 sounds about right to me.
:seeya:

I'm a writer (yeah, yeah, past life a dental assistant, lol) and have done work with/am friends with other published authors and, unless this is a self-published book, which I don't believe it is, a lot of what you've mentioned is not controlled by Mr. Ashton. I'd venture to guess he worked with a ghost writer. (I know people who do this too.) And yes, this book would have been in the pipeline for at least a year. (Just to go from your editor to a copy editor to line editor, reread one more time (writer), then to print.... 6 months at the soonest.) That's 6 months after it's turned in by the writer. Usually it's longer. (The publishing company is doing the same exact process with hundreds of other authors at the same time.)

My guess is he's been working on it at least for the last year with a ghost writer. He didn't just pound out the bulk of this book in the last two months.

The publishing company isn't in the business to 'do crime cases justice', so to speak. They are out to make money. Period. It would not be smart of them NOT to capitalize on getting this book out as fast as they can, before people forget about the case completely. (I don't mean people like us, who followed it so closely, but the general public who are impulse book buyers.) Frankly, hats off to whoever is publishing him because they know the U.S. public would more likely spit on a book by Casey than buy it. Same with Baez. Probably the same with George and Cindy. From a business persepctive, he was the smartest choice.

And the book cover ... I've never met an author (except a self published one) who got to pick their covers. I've had friends be assigned some pretty bad covers. The publishing company has an art department, and they assign you one! If you're Nora Roberts, you might have some pull, but ...

Most people buy true crime according to subject, and the cover won't affect them one way or another. Now a woman buying romance ... cover matters more there.

And on word count/page count. That'll remain to be seen. A good editor can go a long way. If the book is written and edited tightly, you don't need 450 pages. I've read/pre-edited books that were long on pages and short on substance. Average fiction novel length is 300-350 pages. That's fiction with fluff, sex scenes and feelings built in. For true crime, just the facts, ma'am, and a slice of author insight ... 250 sounds about right to me.
:seeya:

Thank you so much for you personal insight to the writing/publishing world.I have a question.Do you have an opinion when this book will be released?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houndgirl2003