Imperfect Justice-Prosecuting Casey Anthony by Jeff Ashton

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent much time thinking about the whole NG verdict and the SA/DT part in it.

I think there were 3 very important points where justice failed.

The jury was selected in a hurry, not allowing for a properly qualified jury. Not just regarding the DP, but also at the point where 'hardship' would become a factor (family or finances, even health issues). This was a poorly picked jury.

The DT were allowed a trial by ambush. Their experts, evidence and witness list suggested that they were simply going to poke holes in the SA case. Despite being forced to state what the experts would testify to, the DT managed to include additional testimony (so as not to punish the defendant).

The SA didn't change their case at all following opening statements. Once JB declared the child was dead from day one, the lies and 31 days contents became less impressive. What mattered then was that George was NOT there, and showing how unlikely the drowning scenario was. Whilst this would be unconventional (The SA disproving rather than proving) it was required in this trial. Like most of us, the SA felt they could prove murder and nothing else would be possible.......they failed to show the jury how a drowning was impossible. They should have made more of an effort to disprove drowning and abuse.......I'd have at least read the testimony from GA at a hearing when JB asks if he'd do ANYTHING to save his daughter --- and he said yes. That would have gone a small way to show the lies of the family.

These are the 3 main errors - all could have been avoided by Judge Perry, but he tied his own hands by worrying about tomorrows appeals rather than todays trial. We now get to fund her 'special' probation, but at least we don't pay for 3 squares a day for her.

**Still concerned about the verdict and wondering how to fix the broken system**

I look forward to JA's assessment of where the states case failed as well, NSS.

Just pre-ordered my copy of Ashton's book through the WebSleuth's link, and I can hardly wait to read it! Thanks to WS and this forum for making me aware of it. I'm a huge JA admirer, and I'm looking forward to hearing his perspective.

JA was 1/3 of the team. Still not sure why the jury did not get it because it seemed pretty clear to me. And I don't understand the custodial issue. KC was always responsible for the welfare of her child. If the child was left with someone else she did not trust that is still her responsibility. And did the jury not figure out that because KC was charged that she was the custodial parent and that was already established by LE. That was always obvious to me so I'm not sure why the jury had such a problem with it. jmo

bbm
I don't understand how the jury had a problem with it either.
Casey was Caylee's mother, she did not share legal and/or physical custody with Caylee's father. Casey was the sole custodial parent.

Casey was the only person legally responsible for making decisions concerning Caylee. Casey shared Caylee's upbringing (and I say that loosely) with George the Cindy, the grandparents, but Casey was still the custodial parent in the eyes of the law. Sharing childcare responsibilities or allowing others to baby-sit does not change custody.
So I wonder "Is this where the Jury got confused? They were confused who had custody of Caylee because Casey and Caylee lived and were supported by Cindy and George?
:twocents:

It was the perfect storm . I expected all these issues to help the State. Go figure.

Me too!

I firmly believe once the jury was picked with these 12 individuals, the outrageous opening statement of the defense was given and allowed, justice never stood a chance. IMO, and from the comments released by the jurors themselves, the jurors didn't listen to a shred of "evidence", went off of their "feelings" and "emotions". Justice for Caylee was lost from the get go. This should never happen again. The prosecution/state did their job, based on factual evidence, they sought justice for Caylee and something went horribly wrong. Hopefully, some good can come of it for future victims. When reflecting on verdict day, I will never forget the look on Linda and Jeff's face, they were truly hurt because justice wasn't served for this poor little baby. In my opinion, it had nothing to do with "losing".

I agree. I finally realized why putting this case into winners and losers hurts so much for me. If JA lost, he failed Caylee. And I just don't believe that. He and the rest of the SA fought HARD for that little girl. So hard. They fought when her own family tossed her aside for her murderer mother. And I don't care what the acquittal means, she is and always will be a murderer to me.

It's not their fault the jury couldn't put it together and make a good decision. I do put the entire blame on the jury. THEY are the ones who failed Caylee, not the prosecution. I have watched other cases before too, so it's not like I'm starry eyed or not wanting to see the prosecution in a less than favorable light. But I watched them for three years and a trial, trying to their damnedest to give Caylee justice, and I do not consider that a failure. I only hope that if I ever have to deal with an SA's office, that they fight just as hard as this prosecution did for Caylee.

I really hope Jeff Ashton doesn't consider this a failure. It wasn't, and I won't ever view the prosecution as a bunch of losers like some do here. Baez is NOT and never will be a winner. This case was like the lottery, and he just got plain LUCKY. I felt like the devil danced in the courthouse when that acquittal came down. I still can't get over it.

I do hope Jeff Ashton does address the outcome of the trial in his new book, though. I do want to know what his thoughts are. But I cannot, and will not, ever say this was a failure on the part of the prosecution. They were all Caylee had and gave it their absolute best. They just got unlucky with having the worst jury of all time make the worst decision of all time.

Yes, I agree, the ASA's fought hard for Caylee.
The Prosecution did their best to bring justice to Caylee but in the ended were thwarted.

The one person who truly and utterly failed Caylee, was the one person who was supposed to protect her the most, her mother Casey.
:twocents:

His client was acquitted...he was lead defense atty.

I will say that it interests me that many are far more certain that the Jury failed and that HHJP failed rather than believing it was the SA who dropped the ball or the defense who did an end run.

I know, o/t.

I wonder how kindly Mr Ashton will be towards Mr Mason and Mr Baez?

I think that HHJP due to budget constraints, was too much in a rush, and haste makes waste. But again that was just one of the factors that benefited DT IMO.

+respectfully snipped+

Great post, thanks rotterdam.
HHJP did appear to be 'rushing' (a little) at times due to budget and time contraints ... despite the gravity of, and possible outcome in the case - but I've never been able to blame him personally for it.
Anyone who has banged the walls with frustration in a 'middle' business or government position will be able to relate to his dilemna. Pushed from the top and pulled from the bottom.
IMO, he was stuck between a rock and a hard place. He knew what the right thing was - but didn't have the means or the resources - he just did the best he could with what he had.
Whilst some may say it HIS decision how much he spends, and on what, in reality it probably isn't.

I will say that it interests me that many are far more certain that the Jury failed and that HHJP failed rather than believing it was the SA who dropped the ball or the defense who did an end run.

I know, o/t.

Kind, cruel, whatever.. What I am hoping for from Mr. Ashton's book is TRUTH. We've seen very little of that from most of the players in this case for the last 3 years.

It's not their fault the jury couldn't put it together and make a good decision. I do put the entire blame on the jury. THEY are the ones who failed Caylee, not the prosecution. I have watched other cases before too, so it's not like I'm starry eyed or not wanting to see the prosecution in a less than favorable light. But I watched them for three years and a trial, trying to their damnedest to give Caylee justice, and I do not consider that a failure. I only hope that if I ever have to deal with an SA's office, that they fight just as hard as this prosecution did for Caylee. .

The problem wasn't that the jury couldn't put it together. The problem was the jury did NOT want to put it together. Even the critical indisputable evidence that was presented by the SA was completely ignored or discarded by this lame jury. I honestly believe there were several stealth jurors who convinced the naive and/or lazy ones to just go along with the NG verdict.
This is my own opinion, not subject to change. MOO

I think a better title for the book would be IMPERFECT PROSECUTION. After all, they had weeks to convince the jurors that the defendant was guilty and they were unable to accomplish that.

I know, o/t.

I can't wait to read Mr. Ashton's book. If he is not kind to DT it won't bother me because it will be coming from a place of "truth". He won't be making it up as he goes. imo

(sidenote: link to good article that sums up reasonable doubt. JB's OS & how much time and effort Jury put into the trial
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202508318214
Adam H. Kurland - The National Law Journal - July 26, 2011
Our criminal justice system will survive this unpopular verdict. The defense counsel's tactics are far more troubling and need to be reviewed carefully. Casey's defense counsel delivered an opening statement which now, in retrospect, has been characterized by many of the commentators who closely followed the trial as "game changing." However, the opening statement was at best, ignoble, and at worst, ethically troubling.

I think a better title for the book would be IMPERFECT PROSECUTION. After all, they had weeks to convince the jurors that the defendant was guilty and they were unable to accomplish that.

They sure convinced me. Not beyond a shadow of a doubt, but beyond ANY doubt.

The problem wasn't that the jury couldn't put it together. The problem was the jury did NOT want to put it together. Even the critical indisputable evidence that was presented by the SA was completely ignored or discarded by this lame jury. I honestly believe there were several stealth jurors who convinced the naive and/or lazy ones to just go along with the NG verdict.

BINGO.....we have a winner!

Absolutely agree... can't wait for the "Jury" book to be written. How influential was the juror(s) on the others? What will we learn?

Just when you think you have heard it all...

Believe it or not, I didn't know what a kindle was until just recently ... and I'm reasonably technologically and gadget savvy normally!
Well, today's Fathers Day here and I've been dropping clues as to what I 'might like' for the past couple of weeks - a kindle being one of the things on the list. I got a card and some very nice t-shirts :innocent:
So, a long story short, I'll be BUYING a kindle in the near future .... and maybe the kids can get me Mr Ashton's book as an early Christmas gift - I'll start with the hint dropping on that one about .. eeerr .. tomorrow?

omgosh, i believe it.... my mom got one a few months ago, otherwise, i had no idea myself.... "I got a card and some very nice t-shirts," now that made me laugh... here's one of my fav gifts that put my hubby in the doghouse... A few years ago i was dieting and every day I would talk to him for hours about all the healthy food i was eating and zumba (lol)... anyway, valentine's day rolled around soon after and I woke up to find a huge bag of snickers (along with some flowers) on the kitchen table... hubby now knows better then to give me candy gifts when i'm on a diet, :floorlaugh:

and HAPPY FATHERS DAY :great:

No no no no never BUY a book by him. <modsnip> he was a <modsnip> and not even a good prosecutor. Will never never buy his book. I can not even believe he has the nerve to write a book to PROFIT off Caylee's Death. Unbelievable these State's Employees would be so deceiving.
OMG I am so disgusted, MOP IMO Just MY OPINION!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove