IMPORTANT - Recalled Pet Food

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yep...that's the same thing that happened with the Natural Balance I was feeding my kidlets. They had no idea the manufacturer was adding the ingredient to the food.

Such a shame. Especially now, considering all that pet owners are going through.

I wonder if these companies can be held on criminal charges? I just can't believe they added things without the knowledge of those that contracted with them.

It is such a shame. I thought all I had to do was not buy a product that contained those ingredients that are in question...boy, I was wrong. :(

I wonder if these companies can be held on criminal charges? I just can't believe they added things without the knowledge of those that contracted with them.

It is such a shame. I thought all I had to do was not buy a product that contained those ingredients that are in question...boy, I was wrong. :(
There could be a very limited numbers of canners, or kibble makers, producing pet food, under all of these different labels. I worked at a fruit cannery,during the summer, in my school years, and can remember labeling fruit under many labels, including S&W, among many others. It depends on who purchased that lot.

This just said that the limited number of canners, and kibblers, servicing the pet food industry, all purchased the contaminated gluten from the same place. The additive melamine was added, either in China, or by the importing distributor in Las Vegas. The addition of melamine apparently was done intentionally to raise the protein level of the product, to sell it at a higher price. The scary part is that the addition of melamine, to all kinds of food products, has been going on, for some time. It took time for, it's use, and the effects of same, to come to light. I have very little doubt in my mind, that if the pet food companies truely test feed their products to their own test animals, they would have known immediately that there was a problem. Crystals begin being formed in the kidneys of animals within hours of eating the toxic products.

There was a name vet that said that dead pets, with kidney failure, that their kidneys were filled with these crystals caused by the reaction of uric acid, with melamine, and one other additive; I have forgotten the name of it.

I took my puppy to the vet yesterday. He's been having a lot of gas so the vet talked to me about what to feed him. He recommended Science Diet (dry). Anyone had any problems with this particular brand?

Apparently melamine has also been used as an additive in chicken feed here in the U.S., and I also heard that it had been used in hog feed. They haven't yet discovered any residual effects in humans. Nice to know........

millions of chickens fed contaminated pet food.....

TUESDAY, May 1 (HealthDay News) -- Up to 3 million broiler chickens were fed melamine-tainted pet food and then sold on the U.S. market beginning in early February, U.S. health officials said in a press conference held late Tuesday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20070502/hl_hsn/fdamillionsofchickensfedcontaminatedpetfood

not sure if this has anything to do with all the recalled pet foods, but thought i would post this here....maybe it's been posted elsewhere, but i didn't see it...

OMG! Didn't I just see someone posted about chickens....and maybe pork?

And all the US honeybees are dying so we won't have plants to eat!
What's going on with the honeybees, A2me? I haven't heard about that problem yet. Seems like before long we won't be able to eat anything, or won't have anything to eat.

What's going on with the honeybees, A2me? I haven't heard about that problem yet. Seems like before long we won't be able to eat anything, or won't have anything to eat.
They think it's a mite. They are sure mites are killing the Hawaiian honey bees. They are trying to quarantine them to the extent a bee can be quarantined. I'm not sure if they have for sure identified what's killing the mainland honeybees. Probably the same thing. Someone, Buzzm, I think....started a thread somewhere about the bees....I think it's in 'up to the minute...' iirc

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46954&highlight=Honeybees

okay - someone give me a cloning machine, and some food dna, and let me start my own food growing business - cause nothing sounds safe in the grocery store anymore!!!!

okay - someone give me a cloning machine, and some food dna, and let me start my own food growing business - cause nothing sounds safe in the grocery store anymore!!!!
If I give you the machine, will you share your home grown food? (I think candy bars are still safe)

They think it's a mite. They are sure mites are killing the Hawaiian honey bees. They are trying to quarantine them to the extent a bee can be quarantined. I'm not sure if they have for sure identified what's killing the mainland honeybees. Probably the same thing. Someone, Buzzm, I think....started a thread somewhere about the bees....I think it's in 'up to the minute...' iirc

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46954&highlight=Honeybees
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46954&highlight=Honeybees[/quote Thanks, A2me - this could become a serious problem. Going to check what is posted on the link now...

If I give you the machine, will you share your home grown food? (I think candy bars are still safe)

I'm with both of you. I'll help any way I can and won't even want any of candy!!!

in that case - the first case of cloned almond joys are yours for the taking!!!! I think i'll start with steak.....

I took my puppy to the vet yesterday. He's been having a lot of gas so the vet talked to me about what to feed him. He recommended Science Diet (dry). Anyone had any problems with this particular brand?

No problems. I have always fed my dogs Science Diet. Contains corn glutin, not wheat glutin. I still worry though, lol.

No problems. I have always fed my dogs Science Diet. Contains corn glutin, not wheat glutin. I still worry though, lol.

Thanks Poco. He seems to like it. I worry too. Every time I feed them I wonder am I helping or harming them.
I bought some for my cats too. They wouldn't eat it. Go figure.

~snip~
As the recalls continue, the AVMA reminds pet owners and veterinarians that over 98 percent of pet foods are still deemed safe and haven't been recalled. The FDA is currently testing 100 percent of wheat gluten, rice protein concentrate, corn gluten, corn meal, soy protein, and rice bran being imported from China for these contaminants. The most recent pet food recalls have been undertaken proactively, due to association with involved ingredients and suppliers rather than as the result of complaints that animals that have consumed the food and become ill.
~snip~
http://www.avma.org/press/releases/070501_petfoodrecall.asp

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retired Chief67