Found Deceased IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #156

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If RA is the source of the YBG sketch, maybe releasing  that sketch wasn't for public consumption at all but was a message to the killer.

JMO

Must’ve taken a long time for that message to get through as that young guy sketch was released in April 2019, now over 2 1/2 years ago. 18 to 40 years old, may look younger, and RA probably breathed a sigh of relief as the sketch didn’t resemble him at all IMO.

But that kinda furthers my point. He did present himself to a conservation officer but that's where the chain breaks down. The ISP had his statement and file somewhere because they eventually found him looking through old files with a fresh set of eyes which means that RA's file was in the possession of the ISP. That would lead me to believe the conservation officer gave the statement to ISP.

My question is - what did they do with it? Just read it and say OK cool and file it away? Per the report there was no follow-up done by ISP so if they got the file they must have thought this guy had nothing to give us and filed it away. My point too is - once they acquired the video and saw a stocky, middle-aged white male why would you not go through your files and find every individual that remotely matches that description that put themselves at the scene as RA did?
Speculation only: Perhaps the conservation officer was re-interviewed recently as part of the investigative refresh.

For whatever reason, perhaps the conversation officer’s overall report was considered unfounded or unofficial at the time, not RA’s statement to the officer.

It will be interesting to hear the full story someday. My opinion only.

Just posting because I didn't know when the BG photo came out and it looks like it was the 15th. I found the whole article interesting.

DC said that how LE got to this point is a fascinating story, and I'll admit I'm eager to hear it.

From yesterday's article:

Investigators believe Allen is the man on the bridge in the cellphone video and in sketches released by police, the source tells I-Team 8.

That's really the first confirmation that we've had for this. So while LE told us back in 2019 that the sketches were not of the same person, we now can assume they are. What I'm really curious about is why LE ever chose the strategy to change directions to a younger man. Where were they in their investigation that led to that, especially if it turns out that both sketches were of RA, as stated above. I do not believe RA was on their radar, so what was the evidence? DC also said he doesn't regret that strategy of the younger sketch release.

I truly believe the facts of how the investigation unfolded will be fascinating (although there will always be the heavy weight of a horrible tragedy behind it). But if both sketches are of RA, how does one have facial hair, and one does not? How are they so different? Time will tell.
I’m eager to hear it too. I imagine all of the people who have been subjects of rumors and profiteer youtubers are going to be so relieved when there’s more certainty of the POI’s guilt and their own innocence. The youth group leaders and kids, athletes, professor, the pastors, LE, relatives, laborers, etc. Some of our POIs are horrible people but many were just unfair targets. Just as when the Jacob Wetterling case was solved, I’m feeling bad about my own suspicions of some of these who turn out to have only coincidences that brought interest in them.
Hearing the truth and hopefully winning a conviction will be justice but also such a relief.

I’m guessing he’s being paid with public funds as a public defender (in private practice) since there isn’t capacity in an actual public defenders office.
Many states also have a general fund that is used to pay for public defense from private attorneys. So even if the lawyer doesn't take the case pro bono, they get reimbursed to a certain extent for their time by the State after the trial ends. It's very important that RA has highly competent attorney's so he can't claim lack of legal counsel down the road and get off on a technicality.

Speculation only: Perhaps the conservation officer was re-interviewed recently as part of the investigative refresh.

For whatever reason, perhaps the conversation officer’s overall report was considered unfounded or unofficial at the time, not RA’s statement to the officer.

It will be interesting to hear the full story someday. My opinion only.
Just a thought, but we know RA had a domestic call back in 2015 for allegedly being drunk and his wife took him to the hospital. Perhaps he was intoxicated when he told the CO he had been on the bridge. That might be reason to consider his statement "unfounded."

Just a thought, but we know RA had a domestic call back in 2015 for allegedly being drunk and his wife took him to the hospital. Perhaps he was intoxicated when he told the CO he had been on the bridge. That might be reason to consider his statement "unfounded."

Good possibility, or if later questioned he might’ve recanted and said he was talking about a different day.

Makes me wonder if someone local happened to see RA in a way that caused them to look twice and had a lightbulb moment.

For 17 years no one had any idea who the unabomber was until his manifesto was published that his brother recognized his writing.

Jmo
I'm still looking for any information on when he shaved his head and beard off. That's bothering me.

I missed a number of threads some time ago and don’t want to open a can of worms, but does anyone think it's possible Chadwell had a connection with KAK as he too had an interest in young girls and deserves every minute of his 90 year sentence. That tattoo on his arm always bothered me because to me it really does look like Libby.

View attachment 379913

Tobe Leazenby said there are “several factors” causing authorities to look into Chadwell for the Delphi murders, but he didn’t specify what they were. He told ABC News detectives are exploring whether there “might” be a connection but stressed there is no specific link as of yet.

James Brian Chadwell: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
Read the entire article. This is what bothers me about "reasonable doubt". I felt sure that this man was the BG. Now, I'm trying very hard to wait for the AA or PC, anything really that can make me feel more confident about the man arrested.

But even if they fully focussed on that statement (assuming the reporting is accurate) then what?

What does "investigation" mean?

I can kind of see that if there is nothing else to go on, this piece of info is a dead end. Perhaps you can ask to speak to the suspect. Maybe he talks to you, maybe he doesn't. Perhaps you talk to friends. Does cell tower evidence get you anything?

Without PC, where do you go with it?
If he volunteered that he was there on the bridge that afternoon, I'm pretty sure he was willing to talk to LE, at least initially.

To me it seems like for every person who could conceivably be BG who was on the trails that afternoon, LE needed to create a timeline of their day and verify it. If RA said he was on the bridge in the afternoon, then you ask him where he was before that and where he went afterward. Then you try to verify that story. If there's anything a little off, or if you can't verify his whereabouts right after the girls were taken, then you try to get warrants for his phone records. If those place him near the scene at the right time, you try to get warrants for his house/car/etc.

That's basically what they seem to have done with RL. It's possible they followed up and did that with Allen as well. But the way the most recent articles have been written makes me think they may not have. I guess we will find out eventually.

Last edited:
Certain Kline has unlocked this. No reset of the investigation.
Why it took LE so long to get at the Anthony_Shots account and involvement is anyone's guess?
But when you hear that the fella that allegedly did this actually made himself known days after the crime, is anyone surprised?

Shocking police work.

I don’t understand how that would prevent them from investigating him? It was in the file.

The article said he told the conservation officer hours after the murder that he was on the bridge. At that point RA probably didn’t know there was video of him.

The first day the girls were missing? Sure. They were looking for alive girls and no one saw them on the trails. I understand why LE thought maybe they left the trails and went elsewhere. But after the bodies were found? How did they not go straight back to the people who admitted to being on the trails and start the investigation there?

Wouldn’t they go back to him to ask for any details he had noticed about other people on the trails—from the parking lot on in? An innocent unobservant person might not have noticed faces, but surely might remember something about the people who crossed his path—male, female, tall, short, skinny, bulky, color of clothes, where on the trail. If you question everyone along these lines, you’d be bound to acquire some useful information.

So, I’d think that LE should have had at least one long chat with him—ideally more than that as they cross-checked what their various witnesses said.

All MOO

This is why I think there was no DNA, or it was somehow corrupted.

They really didn't need to ask all men of Delphi for DNA (remember, they didn't know "how local" he was). But let's say, they had DNA. And RA is a local from Mexico, Miami county. I don't know his ancestry, but he looks like a regular NW European. Even if only one parent is from this ethnicity, the Parabon might have had their job cut for them, as descendants of NW Europeans are the most studied ethnic group in the US. Given how many third cousins live around, there should have been some DNA in Gedmatch.

So i don't think he left a lot. Other options: BG left DNA, but processed it somehow so there was nothing to collect. Possible.

Even more likely, the CS represented a DNA mix. And the locals have similar DNA; if they haven't moved out of IN for two centuries, they might be a somewhat closed group. Separating mixed DNAs, essentially, from one village, is hard, and the technology was just developing in 2017. It is better now.

If there was a special DNA (left where it should not be expected), it would mean a lot, but then, the bodies staying overnight and elements might have played the role in making it "a bad sample".

Old cases are being solved because twenty years ago, the perpetrators didn't know about DNA potential, and were uncautious. Now they know, too. Now we won't be finding that much DNA.

JMO, in Delphi case, it could be a long time of painstakingly separating DNAs in a mixed sample, comparing them, separating again... it could take a lot of time.
Is it possible that they ruled him out with a sample submitted to ancestry by a relative from his adopted fathers side? Missing that Richard Allen was adopted?

Certain Kline has unlocked this. No reset of the investigation.
Why it took LE so long to get at the Anthony_Shots account and involvement is anyone's guess?
But when you hear that the fella that allegedly did this actually made himself known days after the crime, is anyone surprised?

Shocking police work.

I think it is shocking... but only shocking in how very little we all know.

I don’t think there was any tip. I think it’s as simple as the article states. Someone new that didn’t have a preconceived idea of who murdered the girls looked at the case file and followed procedure.

I’m guessing they started at the beginning to verify who was at the trails that day and checked them out one by one. They likely saw that RA was there, admitted to being on the bridge and no follow up was done.

I assume from there they started investigating him as a potential suspect since he said he was on the bridge, he resembles BG and probably didn’t even offer an alibi.

At that point maybe they got discarded DNA to test against a CS sample and had probable cause to search his house.
This is quite possible but what about timing? Did this occur before or after ISP got KAK involved in the Delphi case resulting in a few weeks of searching the river? If they ”caught on” to RA, why were they negotiating anything with KAK? JMT

Good possibility, or if later questioned he might’ve recanted and said he was talking about a different day.

Good speculation. I’ve also seen it happen with organized real-time searches involving volunteers that reports may be made verbally (in-person or via phone, etc) to someone at an incident command center, who then files a report for the volunteer (My Opinion Only since this is based on my personal experience and I am not LE or SAR). That can introduce additional uncertainty as to what information is recorded or not recorded and what is given weight.

I’d usually tend to lean against this since a CO would undertake duties like this as part of their job responsibilities … but the search would have been launched at the end of a workday (Monday) and extended into night time and perhaps the next morning depending on their involvement. Then I consider that a second-hand report that was later denied or retrofitted by RA (“that’s not what I said” etc) could have been seen as both followed-up on and also deemed “unfounded.”

Just my opinion. I’m used to looking at the “Swiss cheese model” wherein a number of factors need to line up to cause or identify a catastrophic failure. So many investigators had to overlook this report for so long that I tend to think there were multiple factors that contributed.

Not an excuse, simply an analysis process with limited information at the moment. MOO.

Working at CVS. "Guys, Down that aisle"

MOO
Paraphrasing here. Something said at the most recent pc, when LE asked for the public to still report tips, has led me to believe that there may be someone else that could have possibly been an accessory.
I don’t believe it was RA’s voice that LE heard (nor us) on the video unless they have a visual of RA saying it. I think this is one of the reasons why they are asking for more tips. Call it a hunch since I cannot provide a link, atm.

L&H
mOO JMVHAspieO

Last edited:
DC said that how LE got to this point is a fascinating story, and I'll admit I'm eager to hear it.

From yesterday's article:

Investigators believe Allen is the man on the bridge in the cellphone video and in sketches released by police, the source tells I-Team 8.

That's really the first confirmation that we've had for this. So while LE told us back in 2019 that the sketches were not of the same person, we now can assume they are. What I'm really curious about is why LE ever chose the strategy to change directions to a younger man. Where were they in their investigation that led to that, especially if it turns out that both sketches were of RA, as stated above. I do not believe RA was on their radar, so what was the evidence? DC also said he doesn't regret that strategy of the younger sketch release.

I truly believe the facts of how the investigation unfolded will be fascinating (although there will always be the heavy weight of a horrible tragedy behind it). But if both sketches are of RA, how does one have facial hair, and one does not? How are they so different? Time will tell.
Oh man, those sketches. Clear as mud. I need a drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14