Found Deceased IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #156

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found this article that was originally published Feb. 13, 2019 on the A&E channel crime website. I thought this part of the article with quotes from ISP First Sgt. Jerry holeman was interesting....

“There’s a lot of false information out there,” Holeman confirms. “Social media, although not new… does impede our investigation. Like when people put up side-by-side photos of innocent people—or, at least, people with no ties to the state of Indiana or Delphi—which creates false [information]. People believe it [though] because it’s on the internet.” And armchair detectives are even taking their interest in the case a step further by creating YouTube reenactments of the crime. “[The videos] help us know that people don’t know [the true details], because the facts haven’t been released,” Holeman says. “People watch the news and think they are picking up on things, but it’s false. Nothing out there is accurate, which only leads to more false tips.”

Makes me think they have been developing this case just waiting for what Carter has repeatedly referred to as the "one missing piece" that proves RA did this for quite a long time and have purposely put misdirection into the equation in order to make everyone come up with theories that have absolutely no basis in reality.

I agree. And, furthermore, what physical evidence could have possibly been at the crime scene that a 1960s detective would presume they would have their man in 48 hours? Short of the perp having left their ID at the scene, or an eye witness to the murders who knew the killer, I don't get it. Fingerprints and the perps blood found on scene would take longer than that, even if they knew who the person was, which they wouldn't.

I cannot imagine what scenario would lead Ives to make that statement. And, the fact that he did, makes the almost 6 years it has taken LE to get to this point even more perplexing.
Well they have him on video, that for sure made me initially think the case would be solved in few days.

I just found this article that was originally published Feb. 13, 2019 on the A&E channel crime website. I thought this part of the article with quotes from ISP First Sgt. Jerry holeman was interesting....

Makes me think they have been developing this case just waiting for what Carter has repeatedly referred to as the "one missing piece" that proves RA did this for quite a long time and have purposely put misdirection into the equation in order to make everyone come up with theories that have absolutely no basis in reality.

I’m not trying to pick on you, but I have heard that phrase the "one missing piece" in multiple murder investigations. IME it usually means the investigators have hit a wall, have no idea who the perpetrator is, and are waiting for something to fall into their laps.

Last edited:
Snipped.

That does not appear to be the case. It appears that he flew under the radar for five-and-a-half years.

"Allen, a 50-year-old resident of Delphi, went to the conservation officer right after the teens’ murders on Feb. 13, 2017, and said he was on the Monon High Bridge that afternoon but didn’t see the two girls, the source says.

Williams and German were dropped off near the bridge on the day of the murders. Their bodies were found the next day.

Allen’s statement was forgotten until recently when Indiana State Police became frustrated with the status of the Delphi investigation and asked a group of investigators to look over files related to the case."

Source:

I’m not trying to pick on you, but I have heard that phrase the "one missing piece" in multiple murder investigations. IME it usually means the investigators have hit a wall, have no idea who the perpetrator is, and are waiting for something to fall into their laps.
I always thought it the missing piece was the identity of BG. Not trying to be a smarta**, just that I think they were saying that they have a lot of evidence and once the person comes on their radar, they'll be able to quickly connect it to BG. Now, knowing that they had that name, and apparently they knew he was there that day makes me question that theory. Although, if he just recently came back on their radar, I do think there was a pretty quick turn-around.

This article says:

Sources have told FOX59 News that Allen voluntarily came forward in the early days of the investigation and admitted he was in the vicinity of the bridge that day.

From the above linked article:

"In March of 2017, FBI agents searched Logan’s home and found no evidence implicating him in the murders though he was later sent to prison to serve out 18 months of a probation violation for a previous Operating While Intoxicated conviction that came to light during the Delphi investigation when the farmer created a phony alibi to claim he was not in Delphi during the hours the girls were killed."

Have we ever concluded just why Ron Logan created a phony alibi to claim he was not in Delphi during the hours the girls were killed? I think he was cleared as a suspect--or at least he was never arrested, but why the phony alibi? MOO

Last edited:

[I]"In March of 2017, FBI agents searched Logan’s home and found no evidence implicating him in the murders though he was later sent to prison to serve out 18 months of a probation violation for a previous Operating While Intoxicated conviction that came to light during the Delphi investigation when the farmer created a phony alibi to claim he was not in Delphi during the hours the girls were killed."[/I]

Have we ever concluded just why Ron Logan created a phony alibi to claim he was not in Delphi during the hours the girls were killed? I think he was cleared as a suspect--or at least he was never arrested, but why the phony alibi? MOO

Because he was out driving while banned if i remember correctly.

"In March of 2017, FBI agents searched Logan’s home and found no evidence implicating him in the murders though he was later sent to prison to serve out 18 months of a probation violation for a previous Operating While Intoxicated conviction that came to light during the Delphi investigation when the farmer created a phony alibi to claim he was not in Delphi during the hours the girls were killed."

The alibi wasn't him trying to cover up that he was somewhere other than his house. His alibi was that someone else was driving when he was away from his house. He didn't want to lie about where he was, just how he was getting around town.

My opinion always was that he freaked out that he violated his probation by driving (and perhaps driving intoxicated, which would be a serious violation) and tried to cover it up. It sounds insane but I have had clients that are so focused on themselves and the immediate next thing that they don't realize by lying to protect this small thing, they are potentially implicating themselves in another, bigger crime. So it did not strike me as so far fetched that he really just didn't know he was lying in connection with a murder investigation or he was JUST thinking about getting caught violating his probation.

My opinion always was that he freaked out that he violated his probation by driving (and perhaps driving intoxicated, which would be a serious violation) and tried to cover it up. It sounds insane but I have had clients that are so focused on themselves and the immediate next thing that they don't realize by lying to protect this small thing, they are potentially implicating themselves in another, bigger crime. So it did not strike me as so far fetched that he really just didn't know he was lying in connection with a murder investigation or he was JUST thinking about getting caught violating his probation.
Yes also he was not wrong about being in big trouble didn't he end up with 3 years in jail? or was that for not only driving without a license and possible drunk, but also for obstructing justice? Seems like he had several DWI's already (MS at least implied that i don't know how to look up his record). If you have a few and then get caught drinking and driving again the penalties start to get really strict (many years in prison).

His problem is he did the thing you should never ever do, he talked to the cops without an attorney. I would imagine a decent attorney could have gotten them to agree to look the other way as far as the driving (maybe drinking)etc. in exchange for truthful testimony about the day of the murder.

Last edited:

ROBERT IVES: Well, in once sense, any murder scene is probably odd. But again this is where I have difficulty because I’m not sure what all has been released. There were a variety of things at the scene of the crime where I guess I would ask you to talk to the State Police about that. They have to decide what’s going to be released was not going to be released. It was just not your normal ‘a person was killed here’ crime scene. That’s probably all I can say about it.”

It wasn’t your normal a person was killed here crime scene?? It really does sound like searchers who found the kids probably didn’t realize the kids had been murdered right away. The scene may have just appeared like an ordinary woods scene - leaves, trees, branches… dirt… rocks. Probably nothing that stood out to the searchers to say the kids were killed there. I still do not get how this is possible and that is why this case has fascinated me! How do you just not realize someone was murdered there? Especially when years later we learn from LE that they believed the girls lost a lot of blood at the scene and had no visible signs of a struggle (taken from Murder Sheets Podcast regarding a released transcript).

ROBERT IVES: I follow along with your example. The very first case I handled as a prosecuting attorney back in 1987…1988, a fellow shot his wife in Deer Creek Indiana. He pinned her up against the refrigerator, shot in the back of the head, she fell on the floor, he shot or twice more in the chest. So, you had a dead person with three bullets in them. They were dead. He was seen at the scene, you know, things like that. All I can say about the situation with Abby and Libby is that there was a lot more physical evidence than at that crime scene. And it’s probably not what you would imagine, or what people think that I’m talking about, it’s probably not. And so because of unique circumstances, which all unique circumstances of a crime are a sort-of ‘signature’, you think “Well, this unusual fact might lead to somebody, or that unusual fact might lead to somebody”. I wish I could tell you, but again that’s up to the State Police. There was nothing that seemed similarly identical that you think ‘well this is modus operandi’. I don’t know if you’re familiar with the term modus operandi, where sometimes criminals will use a…commit a crime in such a way where it’s so distinct that it acts as a sort of signature for them.”

MOre evidence at the scene than what they found in a scene where man pinned a woman and shot her in the back of the head then twice more??? I imagine the scene of the crime in that matter was bloody to say the least!! Probably other things around as well, perhaps beer or alcohol bottles? Drugs? What was left at the scene that wasn’t obvious to searchers but was clear to LE that this was a murder?? The searchers must not have noticed blood or anything more shocking than finding two bodies. Its possible then that the kids were killed in an unobvious way and that while the scene was bloody, the kids were not (perhaps dirt and leaves covered blood? Maybe kids were wiped down and re-dressed if they were ever undressed?).

We were never told if the kids faces were covered or uncovered when found. EG: had someone placed a jacket over them Or something? Why would this matter? It would tell you a lot about how the kids were left and the killer’s state of mind. It would tell you as well whether perhaps initially searchers thought the kids were sleeping until someone removed a face cover and the kids didn’t respond to their names or something? MOOOOOOOO MOOOOOOOOO. I’m jus baffled as to how it wasn’t a normal someone was killed here scene, and how searchers didn’t know immediately what they’d stumbled on.

He said one phrase that I never noticed before. He said, about that husband who murdered wife, “he was seen at the scene, you know, things like that”.

And then RI proceeds with saying that in situation with Libby and Abby, there was more physical evidence? More than with that husband that was seen at the CS?

I remember how DC said, “you have made mistakes. You were seen”. TBH, I thought it was a script, but now I wonder if someone indeed was seen at the CS?

Remember how DC says that the situation is very complex? I really wonder what they all mean.

Here's the thing. Ives was right about all that. The killer WAS in that small, local suspect pool. In fact he told you he was there, on the bridge, that afternoon. He lived a few miles away and never left town. The crime seen had ALL this evidence, and LE couldn't tie any of it to the guy they knew was there, at the spot of the abduction, on that afternoon, who looks and sounds like BG, and fits the profile of who they believed killed the girls? As more and more info comes out, this is making less and less sense. I see a defense lawyer having a field day with this. MOO

Is the defense lawyer going to say: “They should have caught my client sooner!”

JMO but I think the trails were popular but actually crossing the bridge was less popular. So when RA said he was on the bridge? He was probably the only one other than the girls that day on the bridge. This is why I’m so shocked he was dismissed.
Got it. I stand corrected. It was the 50 ppl on the "trails" I had heard from the Proecutors and I've never heard of anyone seeing him on the bridge and the only other person I've heard of on the bridge on the 13th other than RA and the girls was Cheyenne. Thanks for the correction. Much appreciated

I was shocked when they announced they’d arrested someone. I’ve been following this case for years and thought it would never be solved considering they hadn’t found BG even with the audio and video (and who knows what other evidence at the crime scene). To find out RA came forward to say he was at the bridge the day of the murders and has only now been arrested makes me wonder what evidence they have now that they didn’t have back then. I’m leaning toward a link to KAK.
I really want to read what evidence is in that affidavit.

He said one phrase that I never noticed before. He said, about that husband who murdered wife, “he was seen at the scene, you know, things like that”.

And then RI proceeds with saying that in situation with Libby and Abby, there was more physical evidence? More than with that husband that was seen at the CS?

I remember how DC said, “you have made mistakes. You were seen”. TBH, I thought it was a script, but now I wonder if someone indeed was seen at the CS?

Remember how DC says that the situation is very complex? I really wonder what they all mean.
I’ll repost this article. My post was deleted yesterday for other reasons. The quote below indicates that RA was not in the known suspect pool. Sure, he was on a list or in the files, but it looks unlikely he was on the radar.
—-
“I’ve been in the business, our business, for a while and I thought, ‘Boy, how’d I even miss that one?” Carroll County Sheriff Tobe Leazenby, who’s been in law enforcement for 36 years and whose department assisted in the multi-agency investigation, told IndyStar.

Leazenby suddenly found himself trying to recall any bit of conversation he had with Allen ― the kind of pleasantries one has every day with someone ringing up a customer.
——

Snipped.

That does not appear to be the case. It appears that he flew under the radar for five-and-a-half years.

"Allen, a 50-year-old resident of Delphi, went to the conservation officer right after the teens’ murders on Feb. 13, 2017, and said he was on the Monon High Bridge that afternoon but didn’t see the two girls, the source says.

Williams and German were dropped off near the bridge on the day of the murders. Their bodies were found the next day.

Allen’s statement was forgotten until recently when Indiana State Police became frustrated with the status of the Delphi investigation and asked a group of investigators to look over files related to the case."

Source:
He reported his presence near the murders the same day he allegedly killed them.

I understood that the bigger topic within the conversation was when and why RA told a CO he was on the bridge (and I wasn't trying to answer that, though I generally agree with the conclusions you made), but I thought the original poster @Le Singe was also asking a different question as well - though I could be wrong. I thought the original post brought up something that is very interesting and nuanced, which is, when could it have been generally known by the public that the girls had been on the bridge? This question would inform significance into the timing of RA coming forward to a CO, though we can only speculate at this point.

I think from family interviews with GH and in podcasts like "Murder in My Family" and "Down the Hill" it seems to me (MOO) that Libby's dad did not know about snapchat pictures showing them on the bridge when he began searching around 3:15 but by the time the family was gathering at the police station later that night, the pictures were known. I wonder how fast word was spreading on social media, in town, and among volunteer searchers that they had been physically on the bridge itself. I do think that this information influenced how they searched that night (downstream towards Delphi instead of upstream, etc). And it will be interesting if we ever find out that it influenced when RA came forward about his whereabouts on that day.
JMO.

Thank you, @Yemelyan — I was the one who needed more context! It’s the nature of getting caught up on several days in one sitting.

I am fascinated by the timing (“who knew what when”) of the early search and investigation efforts and how that affected the overall investigation. I suspect there is more to the report about RMA approaching the state CO with his statement and hope we learn more at some point.

Thank you for your nuanced explanation.

JMO.

the idea that he reported himself in as on that bridge..just blows my mind...it's like something out of a movie..

he just turns to the nearest badge ( standing there looking every bit as BG as BG). and says , yeah , hey I was on the Bridge earlier, oh man...just hope no one thinks anything...and this Park dude is just like..Nah, don't worry about it????

I mean we don't know how this went down verbatim..but this is just wild...and so cunning not to report to a real cop..this way he can say oh I reported myself there, why would I do that if I was the killer? killers don't report themselves..

and exactly when did LE know that RA had been on the bridge that day?

so not only do we have photos, voice and DNA evidence we also have RA putting himself in the location of the crime.

I so wish to know how long they have been watching RA? Maybe we will find out tomorrow who turned him in.

Maybe it was his wife and this is why the have had this sealed so she can have time to prepare for the onslaught.

mOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member