Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #92

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shortly after the murders, there was this:

Asked if residents should be afraid of a killer on the loose, Delphi's police chief responded "I think people are able to draw their own conclusions about the situation. They are smart enough to figure out with the situation warrants and what to think."

“I feel safe for this community. Whether or not folks should be alert and watchful, that’s a true statement. But we always encourage that folks always do that," said Sheriff Leazenby.

Now, apparently, it was worth mentioning at a press conference for Delphi residents that the murderer may have been seated in their midst.

Telling residents they could draw conclusions on their own invites rumors and blaming which is exactly what happened via social media to this town. In my own personal opinion these are very careless comments to advise people that are frightened about murders that just occurred. I truly question why these statements were made and hope to know the reasoning someday.

After watching some of the older interviews following the crime, there are a couple details that might be relevant now.

The police confiscated a white ford pickup belonging to the owner of the property adjacent to where the girls were found. (Additionally during the recent PC members of the audience were discussing whether or not the police had mentioned a white pickup truck.)

Also a family member being interviewed stated that the girl's "cellphone was pinging around town" following them going missing.

This was the quote I was thinking of but it’s probably not connected to the recently announced “new direction” -

“There’s a lot of false information out there,” Holeman confirms. “Social media, although not new… does impede our investigation. Like when people put up side-by-side photos of innocent people—or, at least, people with no ties to the state of Indiana or Delphi—which creates false [information]. People believe it [though] because it’s on the internet.”

And armchair detectives are even taking their interest in the case a step further by creating YouTube reenactments of the crime.

“[The videos] help us know that people don’t know [the true details], because the facts haven’t been released,” Holeman says. “People watch the news and think they are picking up on things, but it’s false. Nothing out there is accurate, which only leads to more false tips.”..”
Why Police Have Not Released Details on the Murders of Libby German and Abby Williams from Delphi, Indiana

After watching some of the older interviews following the crime, there are a couple details that might be relevant now.

The police confiscated a white ford pickup belonging to the owner of the property adjacent to where the girls were found. (Additionally during the recent PC members of the audience were discussing whether or not the police had mentioned a white pickup truck.)

Also a family member being interviewed stated that the girl's "cellphone was pinging around town" following them going missing.
I wonder if they searched Bicycle Rd because the phone pinged over there.

I wonder about that cell phone pinging comment. Maybe the area they were in was sort of in between several towers? So if people were trying to call them, or the phone was searching for a signal, each attempt might have reached different towers? Totally a guess...

Here and I have always been under the impression that many cases like this remain unsolved because of lack of evidence.....

Its hard to claim incompetence when you don't know what evidence Investigators have to work off of....MOO
Excellent point. We really can't make judgements when you consider the fact that we know so little about the evidence or what LE knows. Imo

Another day starting behind, another day of hoping to see “arrest!”. Hmmm, there’s still 13 hours left today, so maybe...

@cody22 asked on the previous thread:
“Could Driver's Licenses be used for this Facial Recognition tool ?....moo”

It is implemented, but Hoosiers have until Oct 1, 2020 to be compliant. (I went in a year early to get mine, because I’m applying for TSA precheck.)

What you need to know about upgrading to a Real ID-compliant driver's license

Also here:

BMV: Real ID Overview

Beginning Oct. 1, 2020, a Real ID-compliant driver’s license, permit, or identification card will be required to board commercial airplanes or enter certain federal facilities unless you present a Department of Homeland Security-approved document.

I think we cannot assume the suspects car was a white pickup truck without a MSM link to some person sighting a white pickup truck parked at 300N.

Lots of prior discussion about “pinging around town” and what was meant. My summary - Cellphones only ping to a cellphone tower, not to the physical location of the phone. IIRC there is more than one cellphone tower around Delphi and given equal distances, it’s absolutely typical that a cellphone will ping to the tower with greatest available space, which can cause a cellphone to look like it’s moving when really it’s not.

Later reports indicate Libby’s cellphone was recovered near the girls bodies IIRC.

I think the existence of the 2 sketches makes perfect sense as does the elimination of the first one.
I believe sketch #1 was based solely on the pictures of BG. I mean, it looks spot on before you start really dissecting it. Even then, I still see sketch #1 as being more accurate. So, it makes sense that sketch #2, based on an eye witness account wasn't given credence since IMO it doesn't look like the photo at all.
I now believe that they are working with Parabon and when they got results, it matched sketch #2 so closely that they had no choice to eliminate sketch #1 and start focusing on sketch #2.
So, I don't blame LE at all. They went with what made the most sense at the time. Based on how different BG looks in the pictures/video (at least to me) as compared to sketch #2, he deliberately made choices to conceal disguise/conceal his identity.

Are you sure? Because I had read earlier that sketch #1 was based on a witness and sketch #2 was based on the bridge video?

Telling residents they could draw conclusions on their own invites rumors and blaming which is exactly what happened via social media to this town. In my own personal opinion these are very careless comments to advise people that are frightened about murders that just occurred. I truly question why these statements were made and hope to know the reasoning someday.

I respectfully disagree with you. Seems like there is always a killer on the loose somewhere.

This passage and linked article supports my earlier theory about the age span and that the new sketch is a younger version.

Indiana State Police clarify why they released new sketch in Delphi investigation

In the early days and months of the Delphi Murder investigation information was developed about suspect descriptions. It was initially believed the sketch that has been in public view over the last two years of a person in the age range of his 40s to 50s was a person of interest in this murder investigation,” wrote ISP in a press release. “Now, as the investigation has matured and past information has been reassessed, it is the belief of investigators with the Multi-Agency Task Force that the person depicted in the sketch released on April 22 more accurately represents the person wanted for the murders of Abigail Williams and Liberty German.”

I haven't seen or read "The Shack," but from descriptions it sounds like it shows the murder victim having peace because God was with her? If that's so, maybe that concept takes some of the "power" away from the killer?
Maybe, but it's more about the father understanding and coming to terms with his grief.
But it can also be interpreted as victims themselves finding peace.
One message is that we are not the ones in power, but rather a higher being. So it could very well be a message to the killer that he is not in control.
There are many themes in the movie, so it's open to a lot of interpretation. Imo

As Delphi is quite a small community I got the sense that what was published by the media and what was happening within the town were two distinctly different things as locals were not solely dependent on MSM to learn about the case in the same way “outsiders” were. For example a lot of door to door canvassing by LE plus town hall info sessions including the topic of self defence took place, but I’m only going by general comments made here early on.

ETA - I think the reference about “drawing their own conclusions” was intended as a compliment to the wisdom of the people of Delphi who need not be influenced by strangers on SM, however either the wording or reporting got jumbled. JMO

Last edited:
I know I'm not the first to suggest this an investigative tactic, but why not use Delphi 2016/2017 census demographics cross referenced with Indiana drivers liscences to narrow down the suspect pool? It is really just a process of elimination and should be simple for investigators who have access to records. Here is a loosely researched example:

Online research suggests there were 2882 residents in Delphi in 2017. IF BG is in fact a local, than he should be one of those people.

Slightly over 50% of that population is female, and I think we all agree BG is male, so that cuts the pool to 1470 suspects.

Although the composite sketch of BG appears to be a young person, I doubt he is a child. Therefore I think you could safely eliminate anyone who was under the age of 16 at the time of the murders. I'm not sure of the stat on this one, but there are approximately 1477 students registered in the Delphi school district, and assuming that half of those are female (738), you can subtract those out of the pool, leaving only 739 people to investigate (obviously infants and toddlers could also be eliminated, further reducing this number).

Once again based on the youthful appearance of BG in the sketch I think you can safely eliminate all of the senior citizens in Delphi. I'm not sure what this number would be, but since Delphi's mean age is older than the US average, I'm assuming there are some seniors in town. For the sake of a guess-timate, lets say you could eliminate 100 older men. Suspect pool is down to 639.

BG appears to be caucasian in the video and sketch. Only about 13% of Delphi's population is not 'white' (but that is still about 374 people). The next step would be to eliminate the males aged 16-60 who do not have light skin. I'm just guessing at a number, but say you could cross off another 100 from the list, leaving 539.

There would be a handful of people who were incarcerated, hospitalized, or in care homes at the time of the murder. Cross these people off and you might be down to about 500 suspects.

I doubt that BG has a severe disability, so anyone who is blind, deaf, developmentally delayed, or requires a wheelchair for transportation can also be eliminated.

BG speaks English, so anyone who cannot can also be eliminated.

From this pool of fewer than 500 residents, LE should be able to eliminate those who were without question out of town on Feb. 13, 2017 and/or accounted for at work during the hours the abduction/murders took place. Cross-reference the names left on the list with their photo ID to see who most closely resembles the individual in the sketch. Assign officers to investiage the 10-20 people from this list who most closely fit the look to see if any also fit the profile or are already on their radar.

I agree, I think he was likely lurking and I think he probably was just waiting for the right opportunity to present itself.

And bold. Unless he knew precisely how many people were there, and their exact whereabouts, anyone could have stepped on that bridge and interrupted the entire thing. That's depressing to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevHill