Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #94

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had this theory that if you were to convert each frame of the bridge guy video to 32 bit, then align, reduce opacity, and layer these in Photoshop it would give you a clearer image of the suspect. And, it worked.

The video stills create so many artifacts that we see hair, a mustache, sagging jowls, a bulbous nose. But, when the layers are lined up, the "real pixels" are magnified while the false pixels are canceled out. The reason for converting the stills to 32 bits is to allow the artifacts to essentially get lost in the other color channels.

The biggest mistake of this investigation was releasing those stills. They create a false concept of what this perpetrator actually looks like. In reality, he looks much closer to the more recent sketch. I know we can't release modified versions of the images so I'm not doing that now. But, I will be contacting ISP next week to see if they can duplicate this independently.

Question for law professionals- @gitana1 : on the subject of probable cause- someone mentioned that trash, once discarded on the street, is public property and therefore fair game for DNA retrieval by LE. Is a probably cause warrant required for that DNA to be collected? Someone mentioned the "coffee cup trick". Is obtaining DNA by any means other than with a warrant allowed? Can you really trick someone into giving DNA and use that evidence in court?

They don't need probable cause to test trash that's been discarded in public. They can test it for DNA.

But if they find a match, they would then need to make sure it's the right person and get a direct sample. For that they would need a probable cause warrant but a positive hit on the DNA in the trash would provide probable cause.

Have listened intently to the latest Press Release and have spent many hours reading many comments. But, have just signed up and this is my first comment. Since access to DNA data bases have only recently become available, my guess is that they do have a DNA sample which has now been analyzed. But, it could be one of a number of people among family and friends. I believe LE has come to realize and accept who this perpetrator most likely is. After hearing the Officer's update, my feeling was that what he had to say was taking a considerable amount of determination to say what he felt was necessary; it was very difficult words to say to the one they suspected, but it must be done. The plea was for the perpetrator to voluntarily give himself up, not only for his sake, but also what was the right thing to do for all family and friends involved. And as to the car referred to parked by road for most of afternoon, disclosing more information was not necessary as someone in particular would immediately be able to put 2 and 2 together. Just MOO. My "feel" on this so far.

To me, it sounds like a rural Indiana accent of someone who would be in the 40 to 50 range.

Agreed on the age range at least (i don't know enough about accents). But someone did post a video recently of two of the initial searchers, both who were young (20's?) and one had a very similar voice.

I am NOT saying that young guy was involved at all. Seems anyone who ever spoke on camera or in any way resembled the sketches is suspected by people. But it did show me that a younger guy can have that voice.

They don't need probable cause to test trash that's been discarded in public. They can test it for DNA.

But if they find a match, they would then need to make sure it's the right person and get a direct sample. For that they would need a probable cause warrant but a positive hit on the DNA in the trash would provide probable cause.
Would collecting that trash from a place of business, like a hotel or motel require a warrant? Are those places considered public or privately owned?

Would collecting that trash from a place of business, like a hotel or motel require a warrant? Are those places considered public or privately owned?

Good question. I think it's up to the hotel management or owner ship to give permission to grab the trash from their grounds. But I'm really not sure. I will ask my law partner. He does criminal law. But it's the weekend so someone might find the answer quicker than I can get it.

Agreed on the age range at least (i don't know enough about accents). But someone did post a video recently of two of the initial searchers, both who were young (20's?) and one had a very similar voice.

I am NOT saying that young guy was involved at all. Seems anyone who ever spoke on camera or in any way resembled the sketches is suspected by people. But it did show me that a younger guy can have that voice.

Yeah... I think the dissemination of this investigation will be used as a case example on future investigations. I believe anyone who is attempting to intimidate an individual would not be using their natural voice. Therefore, your average citizen will respond with "that doesn't sound like anyone I know" and goes on with their day.

Regarding the voice, "guys...down the hill". I agree it sounds calm and authoritative. His voice also sound masculine or more mature and not that of an 18-27 year old.

jmo

I thought that originally too. But it could easily be a younger persons voice especially the 'guy's bit, but the voice sounds confident and assertive so if someone younger I think someone used to public speaking and probably more confident at speaking than the average young person.

Last edited:
I had this theory that if you were to convert each frame of the bridge guy video to 32 bit, then align, reduce opacity, and layer these in Photoshop it would give you a clearer image of the suspect. And, it worked.

The video stills create so many artifacts that we see hair, a mustache, sagging jowls, a bulbous nose. But, when the layers are lined up, the "real pixels" are magnified while the false pixels are canceled out. The reason for converting the stills to 32 bits is to allow the artifacts to essentially get lost in the other color channels.

The biggest mistake of this investigation was releasing those stills. They create a false concept of what this perpetrator actually looks like. In reality, he looks much closer to the more recent sketch. I know we can't release modified versions of the images so I'm not doing that now. But, I will be contacting ISP next week to see if they can duplicate this independently.

Your work sounds really smart.:)
Beaut you are contacting others with your thoughts.
Good Luck.

If I was only presented with the video picture of BG, unrelated to this case and asked to estimate the age group of the person, I would say older 40's and up age bracket.
The clothes that he is wearing somehow do not fit in with what I think a much younger man's attire would be. His build as well, seems heavier, his legs, even with the bulky clothes, he seems older than a younger man.

Went through every frame (48 frames) and noticed a big artifact (rectangle) in some of them. It may evoke there is something. However, you can see in this (frame) image, there is no bag:

View attachment 181439
I think it's shadows the way the camera has picked it up.you can also see white between his knees, I think again shadow..I do think he is bulked out with whatever he had under jacket..I know people are seeing a hat but In this pic I see thick hair..but then is it because I've seen the new sketch and I'm thinking that..whoever the sicko is hope he is caught soon.

Generally the manager has the authority to give consent to search, but they are private businesses like everyone else that have the right to refuse without a warrant. In some states they might even require the owners permission.

I thought that originally too. But it could easily be a younger persons voice especially the 'guy's bit, but the voice sounds confident and assertive so if someone younger I think someone used to public speaking and probably more confident at speaking than the average young person.

I'm really surprised by all the posters who think the suspect's speech sounds "authoritative," "commanding" or "assertive." Granted it doesn't sound coaxing or pleading, but I perceive it only as conversational. "Guys, down the hill" sounds like a declarative statement, not even spoken as a command. He sounds like he could be answering the question, "Which way do we go?" Of course, I don't believe that's what actually happened.

After a career in teaching and raising kids, I've had the opportunity to hear a lot of teachers, principals, coaches and parents assertively direct children and teens, and to me, the guy in the recording didn't sound like them. I don't know what others are hearing that I am not.

Another puzzling thing to me is the number of posters who think that a person in his twenties isn't normally going to be able to sound "mature" or "authoratative." Most people by their late teens or twenties have learned both how to manipulate their voice and to do simple register switching. So, IMO, it would not be very hard for a young man to do either. A person raised with younger siblings or dogs is likely to have had a lot of practice at giving commands by the time he is in his late teens or twenties. However, that life experience "practice" isn't necessary to learning how to manipulate the voice or switch register.

In other words, I don't find the suspect's speech authoratative or his voice indicative of a man in his forties or fifties. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AliceSprings