IN IN - Carmen Van Huss, 19, Indianapolis, 22 March 1993

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The test they are talking about is not the usual DNA test, it is one to tell the heritage of the person. That is why the department would not pay for the 2nd test when they sent the wrong sample. From Ven's article:

But Carter said local crime lab tests can take him only so far. He hopes the test from the Sorenson Forensics lab in Utah will help narrow the field of more than 100 persons of interest by giving him an idea of the suspect's genetic descent, such as European or Sub-Saharan African.

Again, one of my co-workers is related to Carmen. You have no idea what the solving of this case would do for her family. WTG Det. Carter- you da' MAN!

The Indianapolis Star is now reporting that Detective Carter was removed from this case, because he made a crowdfunding plea to pay for the DNA test.

The Indianapolis Star is now reporting that Detective Carter was removed from this case, because he made a crowdfunding plea to pay for the DNA test.

I guess maybe LE thought it made them look bad. So sad, at least he was doing something for the case.

Just noticed this news item and had to hop on thread to say that Detective Carter is wonderful for stepping up to the plate like that!
Hope that one way or another, DNA gets tested and the vicious killer named.

Detective pulled off case after crowdfunding DNA test
Jill Disis, The Indianapolis Star 7:06 p.m. EST February 26, 2015

[...]
It's unclear, though, what will come of the public support. Just hours after a story was published on indystar.com about the crowdfunding site, IMPD pulled Carter off the case and Bailey said he was unsure if officials will authorize the DNA test.

Van Huss' family members are infuriated.

"This is insane," said Jimmy Van Huss, who was 15 when his sister was killed. "This is ridiculous. Something has to be changed if this is how the police department is going to be run. It just makes no sense."
No words. Un-****-believable!

Fox 59, WISHTV 8, and Channel 13 will all be airing interviews concerning Carmen's case on their broadcasts tonight. 5pm 6pm and 11pm.

I wanted to thank everyone for their comments and input, but I am also here today to ask for your help. Our family was informed that Detective William Carter would be removed from the case, and we are trying to make sure that does not happen. The story is getting national coverage, but as Carmen's sister, I am personally asking for others to help join our efforts and support to keep him on the case by signing a petition.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/let-bill-carter-solve-carmens-case.html

I cannot express how important this is to our family..for Carmen. Your support can help make a difference. Thank you!

I'm seeing that the chief will be holding a press conference regarding this case at 3:30 this afternoon.

Some tweets from the presser via Indystar reporter https://twitter.com/jdisis

Jill Disis @jdisis · 25m 25 minutes ago
Police say they are addressing "a few misconceptions" about the case.

Chief Rick Hite says "at no time do we ever stop looking at scientific information" on cases.

Mike Medler, from the forensics services agency, talking about forensics work that has been done on Van Huss case over past 20 years.

Jill Disis @jdisis · 23m 23 minutes ago
"there is no removal of a detective from the case," Hite says. People assist with cases, he stresses.

Jill Disis @jdisis · 21m 21 minutes ago
Admin says they've talked to crime lab about evidence. "I think there has been some misreporting with the facts." Talking to family tomorrow

Jill Disis @jdisis · 21m 21 minutes ago
IMPD administrator Lorah says Carter is still working on the case, despite spokespeople saying yesterday he was no longer working on it.

Jill Disis @jdisis · 18m 18 minutes ago
Carter is stepping up to podium now. Relaying some facts, background about the Carmen Van Huss case.

Jill Disis @jdisis · 18m 18 minutes ago
"Carmen's case is very old, but we're still working on it," Carter says. "I've been assisting in the case for two years, I hope to continue"

Jill Disis @jdisis · 17m 17 minutes ago
backtracking here. Chief is now saying that he doesn't think Carter was ever pulled off this case, despite spokespeople telling me otherwise

Jill Disis @jdisis · 17m 17 minutes ago
chief asked about ******** account. laughs. "it was a creative idea."

Jill Disis @jdisis · 15m 15 minutes ago
What happens to ********? Lorah says "in the process of returning that money" to donors.

Jill Disis @jdisis · 15m 15 minutes ago
The testing "will be evaluated." Not talking about whether it will actually go forward, admin says.

Jill Disis @jdisis · 16m 16 minutes ago
chief says he thinks Carter was "temporarily" told not to work on the case.

Fox 59, WISHTV 8, and Channel 13 will all be airing interviews concerning Carmen's case on their broadcasts tonight. 5pm 6pm and 11pm.

I wanted to thank everyone for their comments and input, but I am also here today to ask for your help. Our family was informed that Detective William Carter would be removed from the case, and we are trying to make sure that does not happen. The story is getting national coverage, but as Carmen's sister, I am personally asking for others to help join our efforts and support to keep him on the case by signing a petition.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/let-bill-carter-solve-carmens-case.html

I cannot express how important this is to our family..for Carmen. Your support can help make a difference. Thank you!

Dear Cassie,

Thank you for sharing the petition. I would encourage all members and visitors of Websleuths to sign this petition.

If there is anything else we can do please let us know.

Take Care,
Tricia

This is, indeed, fanatastic news, CassieDee. Thank you so much for posting the link. I feel confident there will be justice for Carmen after all. :hug:

Always checking for updates on Carmen. Nothing yet, but will keep hoping. :crossfingers:

I saw a program about the Amy Weidner case on ID the other day, and was reminded of the excellent work IMPD and Detective Sergeant Will Carter did to bring Amy's killer to justice. Hoping 2016 will see the same for Carmen. :crossfingers:

http://www.forensic-news.com/amy-weidner-cold-case-a-familys-quest-for-justice/

Help solve an Indianapolis cold case

August 19, 2015, 9:54 AM|Fresh off his work in the Amy Weidner case, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Det. Sgt. William Carter is investigating another cold case, the 1993 death of Carmen Van Huss. Have information? Call Central Indiana Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477. Case #130705

In January 2014, Bill Carter received the Indianapolis Police Department Award of Merit Carter was offered the opportunity to join the homicide unit; he has decided to remain a nuisance abatement officer.
CARTER ON ANOTHER COLD CASE

On his own time, Det. Sgt. Carter is looking into the cold case of a murdered 19-year-old woman.

On March 23, 1993, Carmen Van Huss was killed in her Indianapolis apartment. Investigators say she was stabbed multiple times and raped before she died.

Attachments

• 48-0418-carter-replace-640x3601.jpg
    48-0418-carter-replace-640x3601.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 23

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members