IN IN - Ciera Breland Locklair 31, last seen in GA, POI husband Xavier Breland Jr, Carmel, 25 Feb 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I contacted the WTHR reporter that is covering this matter and gave him the info on XB's mother seeking guardianship of Jax. He said he is looking into it. We shall see.

Today's news:

There's still no sign of Ciera Breland a year after she vanished, but without her body, her parents said they're trapped in a "tormenting" standstill.

"You know how they say they're waiting for the shoe to drop? We're waiting for the bomb to drop," Ciera's mom, Kelly Locklair, told Fox News Digital. "We're hoping a fisherman or a hunter or someone like that will stumble across her. Just, please, Lord, someone find her."
Johns Creek police said last week that there were no updates in the case, but the investigation "remains very active."

"That's where we stand now," Locklair said. "We don't want to go forward (with criminal charges) without finding her. We don't want to find her later and run into any double jeopardy issues."
I don't follow guardianship cases but the ones I've seen have had other interested parties in addition to the petitioner. Isn't it a bit unusual for his mother to be the only one (other than the child)?

I contacted the WTHR reporter that is covering this matter and gave him the info on XB's mother seeking guardianship of Jax. He said he is looking into it. We shall see.

Today's news:
This is the best article about this that I've read so far. Her family is talking and that's great. Reading her mom's words about "Just please Lord, someone find her" broke my heart.

"Xavier reported his wife missing on Feb. 26, 2022, from their Carmel, Indiana home and told police that she left their house around 10 p.m. the night before, possibly to go to a local CVS, and never returned.

But the FBI has said there's no evidence Ciera ever came back to Indiana from their trip to Georgia.

Xavier's story changed two days later when he told his stepchildren "that somebody took her" and vowed "to find his wife" during a Zoom call that was shared with Fox News Digital.

"Somebody kidnapped my wife," he told one of his kids at the end of the call. "You know what it means when you kidnap an adult? She's not coming home, bud."

---
His stepchildren?? From the abusive marriage? Bc Ciera only has Jax right?
Her mom also said, "We don't want to go forward (with criminal charges) without finding her. We don't want to find her later and run into any double jeopardy issues." So her family is waiting for the body, despite collecting some evidence on what happened (the article mentions this)

If you ask me... XB mom may be just as complicit as he is - my opinion only.

His stepchildren?? From the abusive marriage? Bc Ciera only has Jax right?
Her mom also said, "We don't want to go forward (with criminal charges) without finding her. We don't want to find her later and run into any double jeopardy issues." So her family is waiting for the body, despite collecting some evidence on what happened (the article mentions this)

If you ask me... XB mom may be just as complicit as he is - my opinion only.
Yes, Ciera and XB have one child. The other children mentioned do not belong to Ciera.

This is MOO, but based on MSM reports it appears XB's family isn't taking an active role in searching for Ciera.

Unless I've missed something, which is possible, I have not read any MSM reports regarding the Breland family assisting with searches, conducting interviews, handing out MP flyers, or anything along those lines.

We do know that XB's family has posted his bail and is pursuing custody of his son with Ciera, but other than that the Breland family has been very quiet.

Again, MOO.

From Disappeared:
PARANOIA
-Ciera and Xavier showed up to Christmas looking "very haggard" - her dad asked what was wrong and she said she was in an extremely serious situation - said people were chasing them

-Xavier said his ex-wife's new boyfriend had ties to the cartel and that's who was chasing them
-Ciera told her cousin that Xavier's ex-wife had multiple businesses that were registered to her under various aliases that were variations of her name
-Ciera said that was very sketchy - contacted the FBI with her suspicions
-According to Ciera, the FBI confirmed to her that there was a human trafficking situation going on and a drug cartel was involved
-Allegedly, FBI told Ciera to be very careful about what she was doing
-Detective Eric Rozier, the detective on Ciera's case, said they were unable to develop any leads relating to this dangerous group being the reason for her disappearance
-Ciera's parents believe that Xavier was manipulating her and keeping her in a paranoid state
RELATIONSHIP INFO
-Five months into their relationship, Ciera notices bad behaviors from Xavier
-Lots of yelling and fighting, going through her phone, accusing her of cheating
-Ciera was a headstrong and independent woman and Xavier made her depend solely on him
-She was working from home and Xavier didn't have a job, he was ALWAYS there
-Paranoid about ex-boyfriends, insinuated pregnancy wasn't his

-Isolated her from family and friends by moving her to Carmel
-Family encouraged her to leave him and come home
-Ciera wanted to work through it for her son's sake
-After multiple physical altercations - realized she was being abused
-Started putting away money in a secret account in hopes to move home with her parents ASAP
THE DISAPPEARANCE
-Texted her parents she was sick but "feeling a bit better" (I question if she sent this text...)
-Xavier reports her missing - "she walked away after an argument on Friday at 11pm" after he "refused to give her his Adderall prescription"
-Police did a walkthrough of Xavier's mom's house in Georgia which is supposed to be the last place she was seen
-Police didn't see any sign of an altercation or even proof Ciera was there
-Xavier reports her missing in Indiana once he drives home from Georgia
-Police question Xavier Sr. who lives next door to his son & daughter-in-law
-He is very cooperative; provides surveillance footage to see which direction Ciera went but she is not seen leaving the house
-Family goes to X's mom's neighborhood and canvasses the area, handing out flyers, knocking on doors, etc.
-Xavier does not help look for his own wife
-Xavier recorded on neighbor's ring doorbell footage driving his wife's VW Tiguan with her dog in the passenger seat on the day he and supposedly Ciera drive back to Indiana from Georgia
-Phone records show Ciera (or her phone) was last at the Chatahoochee River "for an extended amount of time" (per detective), a mile from Xavier's mom's house
-Six days into her disappearance there's a search for her in the river; nothing found
-Then they found surveillance footage placing Ciera at X mom's home on Wednesday, Feb 23, at 7:17.
-Got evidence from her home. No details yet as it is active investigation.
-There is a video of Xavier that he himself took, telling his kids Ciera was kidnapped and "that means she's not coming home, bud"
-
Detective tells Ciera's mom that the route Xavier took from Indiana to Georgia and has steep cliffs and bluffs that people are thrown off of; she recounts this conversation and bursts into tears (this was so hard to see... i feel so horrible for her parents who love her SO much)
-Xavier told police she walked away; told kids she was kidnapped - inconsistencies
-Xavier arrested on outstanding warrant for aggravated assault against his ex-wife
-August 2022 he was found not guilty
-Xavier's own father told Ciera's dad, "I think if you were here he would tell you the truth - he's on the edge and if he saw you, he would speak"
-Her father becomes too emotional to continue the interview and the episode ends.
I hope that helps for those of you who haven't seen this or are unable to view it with your TV provider.

I learned a hell of a lot. And as most of us know... leaving an abusive relationship is the most dangerous time...

Agreed. Ciera has been missing for over a year now. Her family has been very cooperative with the investigation AFAIK. They've released text messages, photos, conducted numerous interviews in MSM, etc. IMO, based on what we've seen in the media, they miss Ciera very much.

MOO, but contrast that with XB and his family.

AFAIK no one in the Breland family, including XB himself, has made any public statements or media appearances. They've been extremely quiet so far regarding events surrounding Ciera's disappearance.

I'm not aware of anyone from his family assisting in searches or taking part in other activities to help locate Ciera. We do know that his family bailed him out of jail, and as @legalmomma reported earlier in this thread, apparently his family is attempting to gain guardianship of their son. Beyond that, I'm not sure what, if anything, his family is doing to help solve Ciera's disappearance case. Again, MOO.

There's been a little movement on his case

04/05/2023Appearance Filed
Appearance for Defendant filed. jp
For Party: Breland, Xavier Valencio
File Stamp: 04/05/2023
04/10/2023Response Filed
MF - Discovery - Original (empty) filed. ss
Filed By: State of Indiana
File Stamp: 04/10/2023
05/01/2023Pretrial Conference
Session: 05/01/2023 9:00 AM, Judicial Officer: Casati, Michael A.
06/12/2023Jury Trial
Session: 06/12/2023 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Casati, Michael A.

IMO it's good to see some movement in this case, especially considering it's been nearly 14 months since Ciera was last seen.
I've been watching the guardianship case, too but there's nothing new happening. This is all there is.
What would happen if her parents filed? Would they be separate cases? Have her parents been notified?

05/19/2023Hearing on Petition to Establish Guardianship
Session: 05/19/2023 11:00 AM, Judicial Officer: Hahn, Valorie S - MAG

@FrostedGlass these are very good questions. Regarding custody, I have not seen any statement from Ciera's parents that they are also filing for custody of her son. Hopefully they are aware XB's family is moving forward with custody hearings.

MOO, but it speaks volumes that XB's family seems focused on getting custody of her son but has done little, if anything, to assist in the search for Ciera. Again, MOO.

Update on His case:
05/01/2023Pretrial Conference
Session: 05/01/2023 9:00 AM, Judicial Officer: Casati, Michael A.
05/04/2023Order Submitted
Informal PTC order submitted. ss
05/05/2023Hearing Scheduling Activity
Final PreTrial Hearing/Conference scheduled for 06/01/2023 at 2:30 PM.
05/05/2023Order on Pretrial Conference
Cause confirmed for jury trial on June 12, 2023 at 8:30am and Final PTC for June 1, 2023 at 2:30pm. ss
Noticed: Garrison, J. Gregory
Noticed: Bozoian, Michael D.
Noticed: Woods, James A
06/01/2023Final PreTrial Hearing/Conference
Session:
06/01/2023 2:30 PM, Judicial Officer: Casati, Michael A.
Comment:
MAC 345 - formal, in person
06/12/2023Jury Trial
Session: 06/12/2023 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Casati, Michael A.

Update on the guardianship case
04/17/2023Order Issued
Judge's Entry of April 17, 2023. Comes now the Court and continues the hearing set May 19, 2023 and resets to the 23rd day of June, 2023 at 11:00am., to be heard with the related CHINS matter that is currently scheduled. jp
Noticed: Sadler, Paul R.
06/23/2023Hearing on Petition to Establish Guardianship
Session: 05/19/2023 11:00 AM, Rescheduled
Session: 06/23/2023 11:00 AM, Judicial Officer: Hahn, Valorie S - MAG
Comment: 3D (by zoom)

The CHINS matter was a new one to me.
Child in Need of Services

Who would file this?
MOO, I would think that it may have been LE/DA pursuing the CHINS issue.

CHINS 2b states :
The child lives in the same household as an adult who [...] has been charged with committing an offense and is awaiting trial for [...] battery.

That shoe fits here, and perhaps LE would just like to push the issue, anticipating a favorable verdict - especially considering that XB is an official POI in the unrelated Ciera case.

MOO, I would think that it may have been LE/DA pursuing the CHINS issue.

CHINS 2b states :

That shoe fits here, and perhaps LE would just like to push the issue, anticipating a favorable verdict - especially considering that XB is an official POI in the unrelated Ciera case.
I accidently found this version that is 3 months older than the previous one I posted. I wonder if this info is outdated:
The Indiana Department of Child Services (DCS) will initiate a Child in Need of Services (CHINS) case when there is sufficient reason to believe a child is a victim of Child Abuse and/or Neglect (CA/N). T

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TommieHouston
Back