IN - Couple charged with abandonment of adopted child after legally changing her age, Sept 2019 #2 *not guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That court more than doubled the age -- of a person without legal representation.

Seems underhanded to me! Especially since per immigration and medical science, she was 8 years old at the time.

I have followed this case for the last few years. I watched the Dr. Phil episode with the "parents". How despicable it has been!! I am absolutely appalled that the courts cannot see that making a decision for a minor to change her freaking age without her having a GAL present is inconceivable! I hope that these two are prosecuted on something even IF the statute of limitations has run out!

I am extremely glad that something more is actually being attempted at the Supreme Court level!

If an attorney files with the state Supreme Court, I expect the order would be vacated or overturned.

We need to find the right attorney...pretty certain the Barnetts won't.

jmho ymmv lrr

Cases of Kristine Barnett, Michael Barnett filled with twists, turns

Cases involving Kristine Barnett, Michael Barnett filled with twists and turns

Prosecutors can't charge Natalia's adoptive parents, Michael and Kristine Barnett, with neglect for abandoning a child in Lafayette in July 2013, because legally, she's not a child.

But prosecutors can charge the Barnetts with neglect of a dependent based on Natalia's disabling dwarfism.

Kristine Barnett charged with violating gag order

Kristine Barnett charged with violating gag order

Kristine Barnett will appear in court on May 19 for allegedly violating her gag order, local journalist Dave Bangert reported.

Kristine and Michael Barnett were indicted on multiple counts of child neglect after allegedly abandoning their adopted daughter, Natalia Barnett, in a Lafayette apartment and moving to Canada. The gag order was put in place to prevent involved parties from discussing details of the case outside the courtroom.

Deputy prosecutor Jackie Starbuck filed a complaint on Tuesday saying Barnett made several Facebook posts between Jan. 8 and Feb. 7 discussing her legal team and her inability to “speak for herself,” according to Bangert.

The Supreme Court upholds dropping six charges against the Barnetts

The Supreme Court upholds dropping six charges against the Barnetts

TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) - New developments tonight in the Michael and Kristine Barnett case. The state's appeal to the supreme court of Indiana over six felony counts dismissed by a Tippecanoe County judge was denied.

The counts that were dismissed had to do with the neglect of a dependent based on age.

Those charges were dismissed due to the supreme court honoring the age change that was filed back in 2012.

Now only two counts remain against the Barnett's which allege neglect based on disability.

The attorney for Michael Barnett said they plan to file a motion that will dismiss those charges as well.

------

This is just wrong! How can they uphold the original age change???????

But it appears he DOES admit her age was changed and it looks like perhaps it's going to fall on his ex-wife.

But it appears he DOES admit her age was changed and it looks like perhaps it's going to fall on his ex-wife.

Still mystified by this mess: (from linked article)

In 2012, the Barnetts, who have other children and are now divorced, had Natalia's age changed in Marion County Probate Court from her real age of eight to 22 and told the girl to say she was 22 if anyone asked.

Court documents claim the pair rented an apartment for Natalia in Lafayette in 2013 and left her there, alone, while they moved out of the country with the rest of the family.

Let me get this straight, Tippecanoe County. Michael Barnett knew this child was 8 years old. Michael Barnett paid a lawyer to have her age changed to 22. Michael Barnett then moved to Canada, leaving the 8 year old child in Tippecanoe County.

But this is how, exactly not a crime in Tippecanoe County???

I'm listening...maybe he did roll on the ExW and it will somehow all be her fault?

jmho ymmv lrr

I still don’t understand how parents can get a child’s birth year legally changed?

At the defense table in the courtroom sat Michael Barnett, Natalia’s adoptive father, who along with Kristine Barnett, changed the birth year on Natalia’s Ukrainian birth records from 2003 to 1989.

As she testified Wednesday, she was either 19 or 33, but the jurors will never hear of her age, according to her birth records because the court cannot reverse the Marion County court's order that changed Natalia’s birth year.

The Barnetts adopted Natalia, a Ukrainian orphan with severe dwarfism, in the spring of 2010. Natalia's birth records indicated she was born in 2003, but two years into the adoption, the Barnetts petitioned a Marion County court to change her Ukrainian birth records, making her born in 1989. In the eyes of the law, Natalia became an adult with that court order.

Under cross examination, Michael Barnett’s attorney, Terrance Kinnard, asked Natalia her birthday, which she is required to say her birth year is 1989.

I still don’t understand how parents can get a child’s birth year legally changed?

At the defense table in the courtroom sat Michael Barnett, Natalia’s adoptive father, who along with Kristine Barnett, changed the birth year on Natalia’s Ukrainian birth records from 2003 to 1989.

As she testified Wednesday, she was either 19 or 33, but the jurors will never hear of her age, according to her birth records because the court cannot reverse the Marion County court's order that changed Natalia’s birth year.

The Barnetts adopted Natalia, a Ukrainian orphan with severe dwarfism, in the spring of 2010. Natalia's birth records indicated she was born in 2003, but two years into the adoption, the Barnetts petitioned a Marion County court to change her Ukrainian birth records, making her born in 1989. In the eyes of the law, Natalia became an adult with that court order.

Under cross examination, Michael Barnett’s attorney, Terrance Kinnard, asked Natalia her birthday, which she is required to say her birth year is 1989.
This last part is so disgusting. Continued abuse of this girl. If they'd convinced that unfit, credulous probate court judge to adjust her DOB to 1950 would she be forced to say she's 72? It's ludicrous. The probate court effed up so she just has to agree to a (medically provable) lie forever??

Kristine Barnet was undoubtedly the instigator in all this but Michael is also responsible. He knew the truth and could have stopped this madness but he went along with her diabolical plan to rid themselves of their disabled kid. They did it together.

How can they change her birth year without her being able to dispute it. They adopted a child who they knew had dwarfism and accepted that her birthday was in 2003. I can’t go to another state and change my sons birthday or my own. While creating fraudulent paperwork maybe I should get a few identities. It’s fraud. It’s abuse but it’s no different than allowing people to create fake birth certificates. The want to run to Canada - keep them there. Can they be exiled?

Kristine Barnet was undoubtedly the instigator in all this but Michael is also responsible. He knew the truth and could have stopped this madness but he went along with her diabolical plan to rid themselves of their disabled kid. They did it together.
He is equally responsible. How did they think this would go? Is there a way she can sue or get her birth date changed back to the real one?

He is equally responsible. How did they think this would go? Is there a way she can sue or get her birth date changed back to the real one?

She wasn’t even allowed to state her age in court.

The child was not represented by an attorney when her parents paid the county to change her age, despite medical evidence that agreed with her birth & immigration record!!!

The Indiana Supreme Court, iirc, declined to hear an appeal filed on the child's behalf by a licensed attorney.

I don't live in Indiana -- if I did, by now my state representatives would consider me a serious annoyance.

Horrendous miscarriage of justice, horrendous mis-use of tax funded resources!

Indiana, Tippecanoe County, Marion County, shame on you, institutional abuse of a child. :mad:

(not) jmho ymmv lrr

I never believed she was an 8 year old when they adopted her. Adopting foreign children is risky. Many stories of bait and switch and the adoptive parents get the sickest and least adoptable.

I never believed she was an 8 year old when they adopted her. Adopting foreign children is risky. Many stories of bait and switch and the adoptive parents get the sickest and least adoptable.

iirc, her initial adoption failed, she was living with a family in New England who had experience with this particular medical form of dwarfism yet the placing agency chose the Barnett.

How do you respond to the reports from medical experts, including Riley Children's, concerning NGB's medical age corresponding to her original birth records, including her birth mother's hospitalization to deliver her?

jmho ymmv lrr

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back