IN - Couple charged with abandonment of adopted child after legally changing her age, Sept 2019 #2 *not guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I hope this brings some much-needed awareness to the case. I’m worried that with Ellen Pompeo being the producer and playing the mother, that she won’t be made to loom too bad and Natalia could be re-victimized.

The strange case is the subject of a new docuseries, The Curious Case of Natalia Grace, debuting across three consecutive nights on ID beginning Monday, May 29, airing nightly from 9-11 p.m. ET/PT

The docuseries features exclusive interviews with the Barnetts as well as members of Natalia's adoptive family, as well as never-before-seen footage.

Featuring exclusive bombshell interviews with members of Natalia’s adoptive family including father Michael Barnettand brother Jacob Barnett, as well as relatives, friends, legal experts, and neighbors of Natalia and the Barnett family, THE CURIOUS CASE OF NATALIA GRACE offers a never-before-seen glimpse into the Barnett family, Natalia’s identity, Michael Barnett’s October 2022 trial, as well as key insights into new theories and evidence. Unfolding over multiple parts and three consecutive nights on ID, the docuseries presents an unparalleled deep dive into this shocking family saga tracing all the way from Natalia’s birth in Ukraine up to the arrest and subsequent legal proceedings around Michael Barnett on charges of neglect. An unprecedented story THE CURIOUS CASE OF NATALIA GRACE is riddled with shocking allegations and explosive revelations.

iirc, her initial adoption failed, she was living with a family in New England who had experience with this particular medical form of dwarfism yet the placing agency chose the Barnett.

How do you respond to the reports from medical experts, including Riley Children's, concerning NGB's medical age corresponding to her original birth records, including her birth mother's hospitalization to deliver her?

jmho ymmv lrr
My opinion is based on: 1 corrupt foreign adoption practices; 2) she had a menstrual cycle at 8? 10?; and, 3) she LOOKED, TALKED, and ACTED like she was late teen age when they got her.

I believe the parents were hoodwinked into taking this person into their lives.

JMHO

The parents should sue whatever adoption agency made this match up. Didn't she threaten them and the son? There should be a way to un-adopt and it is sad that they waited too long to give up parental rights and place her with the state for adoption.

I would trust a birth record from Ukraine as much as I trust a Nigerian prince scammer.

My opinion is based on: 1 corrupt foreign adoption practices; 2) she had a menstrual cycle at 8? 10?; and, 3) she LOOKED, TALKED, and ACTED like she was late teen age when they got her.

I believe the parents were hoodwinked into taking this person into their lives.

JMHO

The parents should sue whatever adoption agency made this match up. Didn't she threaten them and the son? There should be a way to un-adopt and it is sad that they waited too long to give up parental rights and place her with the state for adoption.

I would trust a birth record from Ukraine as much as I trust a Nigerian prince scammer.
Lets say she was a teen (which I don't believe, but lets just assume that for the sake of an argument). Is it okey to adopt a teen and then dump that teen ( with a severe disability, by the way) without a job, or any skills in a foreign country? These people disgust me to no end.

Nobody is making these adoptive parents to adopt these children.
The hopeful adoptive parents arrive in county expecting one child, whom for all photos and records, is a normal healthy child and then a pitiful one with problems is brought to them as the only child they can adopt and their emotions and guilt drive them to accept the child they didn't choose.

Remember the Doctor and his wife in Houston that went to India for a baby. <modsnip - not victim friendly>

These people were hoodwinked by the Ukrainian and the US adoption agencies. She was an adult and they left her in an apartment and provided everything for her care <modsnip - not victim friendly>

JMHO

The minute I saw this person, I knew she was an adult.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll stick with Riley Children's. This institution & their staff members do not benefit from a child's age.

The Barnetts' benefit greatly by declaring the child an adult. While that child does NOT have legal representation.

Yes, my trust in Indiana courts dropped tremendously when I learned that a minor without legal representation can be permanently injured in this way.

While I understand that adopting from out of the country can present additional problems, it is not the "fault" of the child if the parents abuse the child. Often times, children that are adopted have issues including reactive attachment disorder and/or stealing food, hoarding, overeating. Anyone that is adopting should do extensive research. Either way, the child should not be murdered.

In Natalia's case, the pictures of her when she was first adopted certainly casts a shadow of doubt on the claims from the adoptive parents that she was older. Plus, it is incredibly unreal to me that a court allowed them to legally change her age without medical proof. Either way, IF they could no longer care for her, it was up to them to reach out for help from a legal source. Whether it be social services or some other agency. Abandoning her should never have been considered an option.

<modsnip - references to a member's non-victim-friendly content have been removed>

While I understand that adopting from out of the country can present additional problems, it is not the "fault" of the child if the parents abuse the child. Often times, children that are adopted have issues including reactive attachment disorder and/or stealing food, hoarding, overeating. Anyone that is adopting should do extensive research. Either way, the child should not be murdered.

In Natalia's case, the pictures of her when she was first adopted certainly casts a shadow of doubt on the claims from the adoptive parents that she was older. Plus, it is incredibly unreal to me that a court allowed them to legally change her age without medical proof. Either way, IF they could no longer care for her, it was up to them to reach out for help from a legal source. Whether it be social services or some other agency. Abandoning her should never have been considered an option.
I don''t understand how anyone seeing that photo could think she was an adult. JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
So after all this time, we still don't have conclusive proof of her age? How is this possible?

I'll stick with Riley Children's. This institution & their staff members do not benefit from a child's age.

The Barnetts' benefit greatly by declaring the child an adult. While that child does NOT have legal representation.

Yes, my trust in Indiana courts dropped tremendously when I learned that a minor without legal representation can be permanently injured in this way.

Sticking with the pediatric radiologists at Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis who determined the child's skeletal age:

Not a great article, but what Google produced quickly:

children's hospital records show a doctor examined the Barnetts' daughter and approximated her to be 8 in 2010.

The hospital conducted a skeletal survey in 2012 and approximated her age as being 11.

The article mentions another skeletal survey, completed in 2014 after she was abandoned by the Barnetts. That one showed the young lady was about 14.

What would you consider "conclusive proof of her age" if modern medicine isn't sufficient?

Do you trust your own medical providers? Then trust these licensed professionals.

jmho ymmv lrr

Sounds to me that once they managed to legally change her age by making her 10 years older, she is considered an adult and that's it. Boggles my mind that this is how system works.

So after all this time, we still don't have conclusive proof of her age? How is this possible?
She wasn't born in US, and verifying her age from her birth country is apparently something nobody can manage. Court legally changed her age and I don't think her interests were even defended at that court hearing. So now she is considered an adult 10 years olden that she actually is (as far as I am concerned).

The hopeful adoptive parents arrive in county expecting one child, whom for all photos and records, is a normal healthy child and then a pitiful one with problems is brought to them as the only child they can adopt and their emotions and guilt drive them to accept the child they didn't choose.

Remember the Doctor and his wife in Houston that went to India for a baby. <modsnip - not victim friendly>

These people were hoodwinked by the Ukrainian and the US adoption agencies. She was an adult and they left her in an apartment and provided everything for her care <modsnip - not victim friendly>

JMHO

The minute I saw this person, I knew she was an adult.
She was never a normal healthy child. In case you didn't notice, she is severely disabled due to her dwarfism. So if they expected a normal healthy child, they are clueless individuals that had no business adopting anyone. As for you seeing this person as supposedly an adult, to me it's very clear when she first got into US she wasn't an adult. Photos clearly show a young child as far as I am concerned.

The child was not represented by an attorney when her parents paid the county to change her age, despite medical evidence that agreed with her birth & immigration record!!!

The Indiana Supreme Court, iirc, declined to hear an appeal filed on the child's behalf by a licensed attorney.

I don't live in Indiana -- if I did, by now my state representatives would consider me a serious annoyance.

Horrendous miscarriage of justice, horrendous mis-use of tax funded resources!

Indiana, Tippecanoe County, Marion County, shame on you, institutional abuse of a child. :mad:

(not) jmho ymmv lrr
ITA. Who was defending her interests when her age was legally changed? And apparently once her age was legally changed, it can not be unchanged.
Boggles the mind.

Natalia Grace posed as a 'six-year-old Ukrainian orphan' who 'thought she'd found the right family'. Credit: ID Discovery

Kristine and Michael accused her of being an 'adult sociopath masquerading as a child' in a bizarre criminal case of fraud.

After the couple deserted Grace in an apartment in Layfette, Indiana, in 2013, authorities pushed 'neglect charges' onto both of them.

"We were all abused," Michael cries in the trailer for upcoming documentary The Curious Case of Natalia Grace.

"I hate this. She tried to poison and kill my wife.

"[And] one night, I opened my eyes and Natalia is standing at the foot of the bed with a knife in her hand."

Ahead of the new docuseries, attorney Beth Karas joined TMZ to speak about the first episode.
After they deserted Natalia in an apartment in 2013, authorities pushed 'neglect charges' onto the Kristine and Michael. Credit: Tippecanoe County Sheriff's Office/ID Discovery

Of Kristine and Michael's situation, Karas said: "They went to the court with an emergency petition and an affidavit from a doctor who had been treating her for the past few years who said that he did not notice any growth and there was no growth in four years.

"She was supposedly eight at the time. So he said, 'Well, you stop growing when you're 18. If she hasn't had any bone growth in four years, then she's at least 22'.

"And with a stroke of a pen, he went from age eight to 22 for Natalia. So she theoretically became somebody who could vote, drink, and drive."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slayerwarlover
Back