IN - Couple charged with abandonment of adopted child after legally changing her age, Sept 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything I’ve read is saying there’s really no definitive test, only averages. We can all agree Natalia is not average.

My son had 4 fully exposed teeth at 3 months and by age 6 months he had an entire mouth full. He began losing his baby teeth at age 4 and had all 4 wisdom teeth fully erupted at 13. My kid is still considered “normal”

I've seen nothing here to suggest that N isn't as 'normal' as your son, at least in terms of the dwarfism type that she has.

I think the biggest point here is that you know your son is 13, and those wisdom teeth don't automatically make him older than 20. Everything about the age change I've seen so far seems to be in the same vein as your example and then getting the age changed on that basis but ignoring the variance that there is such a thing as precocious puberty, some children have more advanced language skills than others, and because N wasn't born in the USA I feel like those normal variances have been used against her.

The Barnetts have a son who is very advanced in math and physics .... but they don't seem to be holding that against him (and rightly so; I am uber envious of him being able to attend that institute in Canada at any age!) But everything about N seems to be held against her and used against her.

True but nothing replaces live testimony and answering questions on cross. But I just looked up IN rules on hearsay and I think they're going to need an expert to interpret his records.

https://www.law.indiana.edu/instruction/tanford/b723/18unavail/T18.pdf
In the police affidavit it mentioned the hospital tests as being (I’m paraphrasing) ‘Records kept in the ordinary course of business’. I’m not an attorney, but I think that is one of the common hearsay exceptions.

In the police affidavit it mentioned the hospital tests as being (I’m paraphrasing) ‘Records kept in the ordinary course of business’. I’m not an attorney, but I think that is one of the common hearsay exceptions.

It’s an authentication issue. And yes the records can probably come on but they have to be independently interpreted. They can be used to show what the Barnett’s knew when they left her too.

I’m wondering now if a diagnosis of Reactive Attachment Disorder was even considered and ruled out. Surely, it was considered, right? I mean it is the go to Dx when hearing of Natalia’s history, previous placements & The Barnett’s description of her behavior.
I assumed that’s the way it went down

You mean instead of shrieking and screaming for your husband to “get in here!!! Look!!”

God only knows what that taught her about herself. Poor kid.

I imagine, after seeing Mr Barnett interviews .... his response to seeing the pubic hair was more over the top than hers....
Like pointing with one hand while gasping loudly and covering his mouth in horror with the other & eyes as big as silver dollars....before running out of the room terrified

No it actually is based on fact and not opinion. We saw the probable cause affidavit as well as her petition for name change. We also read the letter from the Barnett's doctor.

Two, separate doctors two years apart actually analyzed her age and determined she was a child. One was an endocrinologist. Both exams were at hospitals.

Here is the evidence that Kristine Barnett presented to get the age change, as shown by the petition she submitted to the media:

1. She was adopted from the Ukraine on 7-9-08 by the Ciccones. An adoption agency contacted the Barnetts to possibly adopt the child because her original adoptive parents could no longer care for her.
2. After placement with them they began to notice unusual behaviors and physical characteristics.
3. She had pubic hair and a menstrual cycle which she had hidden from them at the beginning of her placement.
4. The Barnetts were concerned that the child was not 7 due to the following:
a. Her ability to hide her physical characteristics.
b. Statements by her of detailed, alleged abuse.
c. Her differing "stories" of timelines.
d. Her level of intelligence. [And note, this is a woman who has a brilliant child who navigated his family through the streets of Chicago by himself at age 3, and who says children's "spark" needs to be nurtured].
e. Her level of ability to "act" differently in different situations.
f. Her level of ability to manipulate.
g. Her extensive vocabulary.
h. Her physical characteristics [undefined].​
5. Her behaviors escalated into "dangerous" behaviors [undefined] throughout that first year of placement and the Barnetts sought help from numerous professionals. Two are listed. The famous doctor and a private LSCW.
6. The LCSW and Dr. McLaren "believe" she is physically a developed adult more appropriately OVER 22 years of age. Here is a photo of her a couple months later, supposedly OVER 22 here.
View attachment 209262
Mother claims Ukrainian adopted daughter, 9, was 22 and had dwarfism | Daily Mail Online
Note: There is no mention of any diagnostic criteria used to form that "belief" and no statements that the professionals actually determined her age. There is no way an attorney would leave that info out if true.
7. They attached a "letter" to support the "belief" of either the LSCW or Dr. McLaren. That's what's referenced. No medical reports or psych reports of any kind are listed.
8. Previously mental health clinics/hospital wards will no longer admit her. It appears here they are saying because the clinics/wards do not believe she is a child. Again, no reports attached or referenced.
9. A change of birth date could enable N to utilize adult mental health providers.
10. A change of birth date can allow her to apply for an qualify for government assistance.
11. A change of birth date could provide "additional means" to the Barnetts that are otherwise not available to them.

IN - Couple charged with abandonment of adopted child after legally changing her age, Sept 2019

That's it. Nothing more. Remember, this was an uncontested petition as the only one who could have contested it was N and there is no evidence she contested it.
Wow, I have nothing left to add, except a slow clap.

If I ever need a lawyer, can I call you? Haha

It’s an authentication issue. And yes the records can probably come on but they have to be independently interpreted. They can be used to show what the Barnett’s knew when they left her too.
Facilities such as PMCH, routinely run their own internal as well as external audits to assure compliance of medical safety as well as HIPAA

Having sat through 3 FDA audits for clinical trials in the past 3 years, I can state it is intensive, nerve racking - and appreciated. Because it is assurance that every t was crossed, every i dotted, every date, signature, test, result was done correctly on the dates documented. Confirming everything was done correctly and safely per SOP/Protocol.

Auditors are looking at and cross referencing, everything. Heck, anything that could possibly be falsified is scrutinized.

I have 100% confidence in the providers of NB and that their records have been stored per stringent healthcare guidelines.

Disclaimer: This is just personal, first hand experience. YMMV (but if so, I’m worried).

Of course, I don’t know anything about law, so there’s that! ;)

Wow, I have nothing left to add, except a slow clap.

If I ever need a lawyer, can I call you? Haha
IKR.
Where did they get a copy of the petition? I want to see it in full. It really looks like they had nothing substantial to cite as evidence of her being older. It's all smoke and mirrors and these "facts" are just hearsay from the parents. If there were other doctors who were certain she was an adult from their own observations they would have listed their names, locations and when they examined her and then highlighted and underscored it in their petition. But it's just.. absent. If you have that evidence why would you leave it out?! Their whole contention rests on her having her period and hiding it . But her having a period doesn't in any way make her an adult (seriously wtf?) and is unlikely to have been substantiated anyway - I mean doctors don't check for bleeding they just take your word for it in my experience. The rest of the stuff is just about her behaving oddly and being intelligent. That's it?!?

Dr. Riggs was my grandson's diabetes doc and I worked with him at PMCH. A huge loss to the diabetes community (the focus of his practice)
I remember you saying you and other locals didn't believe Dr McLaren was involved in this and didn't really author the letter. We know now that he did give evidence (well, after a fashion) for the parents at the age change hearing along with that social worker. Have you heard anything else? I only have fourth hand knowledge (husband's cousin's friend's mother works with McLaren) but she apparently said he's not going to testify for the defense.

I’m wondering now if a diagnosis of Reactive Attachment Disorder was even considered and ruled out. Surely, it was considered, right? I mean it is the go to Dx when hearing of Natalia’s history, previous placements & The Barnett’s description of her behavior.
I assumed that’s the way it went down
It would be almost expected for Natalia to have RAD considering her time at the orphanage. But the wild accusations leveled by the Barnett’s don’t seem to fit the bill of common symptoms. When Michael described her immeadiatly calling them mommy And daddy that seemed like disinhibited RAD. But attempted murders? No

Facilities such as PMCH, routinely run their own internal as well as external audits to assure compliance of medical safety as well as HIPAA

Having sat through 3 FDA audits for clinical trials in the past 3 years, I can state it is intensive, nerve racking - and appreciated. Because it is assurance that every t was crossed, every i dotted, every date, signature, test, result was done correctly on the dates documented. Confirming everything was done correctly and safely per SOP/Protocol.

Auditors are looking at and cross referencing, everything. Heck, anything that could possibly be falsified is scrutinized.

I have 100% confidence in the providers of NB and that their records have been stored per stringent healthcare guidelines.

Disclaimer: This is just personal, first hand experience. YMMV (but if so, I’m worried).

Of course, I don’t know anything about law, so there’s that! ;)

There should be no problem with how they're stored. But that goes to authentication. Not to the hearsay within the document. Those are two different things. So let’s say it’s a bank record used to show when money in an account was paid to a fast food restaurant, which might establish a timeline for something, that’s fine. But if the record contains a specific conclusion- the patient was diagnosed with a specific condition- that information remains hearsay. You need a live person to testify to it. Or another expert to review the data compiled and interpret it coming to either the same or a different conclusion.

IKR.
Where did they get a copy of the petition? I want to see it in full. It really looks like they had nothing substantial to cite as evidence of her being older. It's all smoke and mirrors and these "facts" are just hearsay from the parents. If there were other doctors who were certain she was an adult from their own observations they would have listed their names, locations and when they examined her and then highlighted and underscored it in their petition. But it's just.. absent. If you have that evidence why would you leave it out?! Their whole contention rests on her having her period and hiding it . But her having a period doesn't in any way make her an adult (seriously wtf?) and is unlikely to have been substantiated anyway - I mean doctors don't check for bleeding they just take your word for it in my experience. The rest of the stuff is just about her behaving oddly and being intelligent. That's it?!?

Kristine Barnett supplied the petition herself to the media. And yes, they absolutely would have supplied such evidence. All they referenced was “see attached letter.” When discussing the doctor and the LSCW’s “belief”. That leads me to conclude that the letter was much like what McLaren supplied later, which we have seen. No diagnosis or professional assessment of her age. Just a synopsis of hearsay that forms his belief.

But we have to remember that these were the girls’ parents and this was not contested. The court would rightfully assume that they were acting in the best interest of their adopted child. The court would have no reason to anticipate what would come.

Kristine Barnett supplied the petition herself to the media. And yes, they absolutely would have supplied such evidence. All they referenced was “see attached letter.” When discussing the doctor and the LSCW’s “belief”. That leads me to conclude that the letter was much like what McLaren supplied later, which we have seen. No diagnosis or professional assessment of her age. Just a synopsis of hearsay that forms his belief.

But we have to remember that these were the girls’ parents and this was not contested. The court would rightfully assume that they were acting in the best interest of their adopted child. The court would have no reason to anticipate what would come.
Yeah I think that's an important point. As far as the judge can see these were caring, intelligent, middle class respectable people and Kristine can really put on a show of being a devoted mother. I doubt the judge was unaware she was a parenting author and had been featured on 60 minutes. They were saying the just want her to have access to better services etc. etc. Not that they want shot of her. Judges have biases. I'm sure if the Bs were less WASPish and privileged the judge would have been a bit more skeptical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandrz717