GUILTY IN - DARREN DEON VANN, 43, Gary, body count at seven, more expected

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Would someone like to send the letter to Chief Doughty (Hammond)?
And/or Chief McKinley (Gary)? :)

I'd like to think they're already aware of the letter, but with the level of crime in Gary, they may not be. The coroner may have gotten that letter in 2010, said "Thanks, Captain Obvious", and set it aside without investigating or passing it to LE. (Speaking of Coroner Philpot: Philpot guilty on all five counts)

And I want to say... THANK YOU, YODA! I'm not sure how you find some of this stuff, but your username and title are apt.

This dude is scary! Near my own age, and just killing people I guess for the fun of killing them??? So sad that many weren't even reported missing, and that no one noticed the odor of decomp and call police! I can't believe this thread isn't booming either!

Fine time to shut up now Mr. Vann! You best start talking and give the rest of the families some answers! Cowards piss me off! You admitted to killing these ladies, it's time to admit to them ALL! Taunting is not becoming! I'm saying we need a law that makes crimes such as these eligible for interrogation practices the military uses to get info from people. You loose the right to remain silent once you become a serial killer! Cowards, every single one of them!

Make sure he doesn't commit suicide until we get more info from him, and then, hand him the tools needed to commit the act! No remorse, no soul...be done with him once we get all info from him!

Well, JMO!

Who is good with timelines? Prior addresses or known locations? Even if we can only list city, state and the times he was there. Maybe we can then look into who was reported missing during those time, though sadly I have this feeling many aren't going to be anywhere on the net. :tantrum: Their lives were important! They are someone's loved one!!!

And why can't serial killers be considered an act of terrorism??? Maybe that would enable LE to question them and interrogate until they talk! To me, killing at least 7 women this year alone is domestic terrorism!!

Would someone like to send the letter to Chief Doughty (Hammond)?
And/or Chief McKinley (Gary)? :)

Per this article (which I admittedly neglected to read until this morning), the Gary PD has been made aware of the letter by MSM. Don't think we need to resubmit...?

Asked about those cases Tuesday, Gary police spokesperson Corporal Gabrielle King said she would have to check. “I don’t know that we have unsolved strangulations,” said King. Police Chief Larry McKinley did not immediately return phone calls.

Retired Lake County Assistant Coroner Jackie DeChantal said the 2010 report raised suspicions, but “we couldn’t get anyone else to say that they were connected.”

The department says it is now taking another look. “I might have been on the right road, but I just didn’t get far enough along it,” said DeChantal.

Per this article (which I admittedly neglected to read until this morning), the Gary PD has been made aware of the letter by MSM. Don't think we need to resubmit...?

Asked about those cases Tuesday, Gary police spokesperson Corporal Gabrielle King said she would have to check. “I don’t know that we have unsolved strangulations,” said King. Police Chief Larry McKinley did not immediately return phone calls.

Retired Lake County Assistant Coroner Jackie DeChantal said the 2010 report raised suspicions, but “we couldn’t get anyone else to say that they were connected.”

The department says it is now taking another look. “I might have been on the right road, but I just didn’t get far enough along it,” said DeChantal.

I saw this ^^ press conference yesterday which put Gary, IN under national media spotlight.

Gary Police Chief Larry McKinley was asked how many missing persons cases they had and he stated that since 2010 they had about 70 reported MPs.

He was asked once, possibly twice, how many of these 70 reported missing persons were women...a question one might anticipate given the circumstances.

The Gary Police Chief was unable to answer the question!

Cannot imagine coming to a press conference, with this kind of national media attention on Gary, IN and not having the answer to this question. He simply did not have any idea. Amazing.

<snip>

Family and friends of victims said police should have known the 43-year-old Vann was a threat and taken reports of women disappearing more seriously.

Victim Teaira Batey's mother, Gloria Cullom, said she called Gary police constantly looking for information about her daughter and never heard back.

"I'm trying to find out, 'Have you heard anything. Do you have any information for me?' Nobody ever called me back," Cullom said.

Batey's fiance, Marvin Clinton, expressed similar frustration.

"I don't think that they really did anything as far as looking into the situation with the information that we was giving to them," he said.

The family filed a missing person report on Batey in late January after she had been missing for nearly three weeks.

BBM

http://news.yahoo.com/finding-victims-indiana-case-lengthy-process-053341994.html

CNN 'Poppi' just said she was at the court this morning and said it was BIZARRE..................DDV would not talk, would not answer anything asked............trying next week........could be a way to get out of death penalty! If he never answers he could just stay in jail forever....................

My belief is because the judge is a woman. I wonder if he spoke with any female officers. My guess is no.

<snip>

Of the group of 15 identified by Scripps four years ago, nine occurred between 1991 and 1998, and six others between 2005 and 2007. Vann was living in the nearby town of Hammond, just west of Gary, in the 1990s. He moved to Texas at some point and in 2009 was charged and convicted of sexual assault after raping a woman in Austin. He was released from prison in July 2013, and returned to Indiana.

http://www.newsnet5.com/decodedc//s...-police-about-potential-serial-killer-in-2010

I saw this ^^ press conference yesterday which put Gary, IN under national media spotlight.

Gary Police Chief Larry McKinley was asked how many missing persons cases they had and he stated that since 2010 they had about 70 reported MPs.

He was asked once, possibly twice, how many of these 70 reported missing persons were women...a question one might anticipate given the circumstances.

The Gary Police Chief was unable to answer the question!

Cannot imagine coming to a press conference, with this kind of national media attention on Gary, IN and not having the answer to this question. He simply did not have any idea. Amazing.

<snip>

Family and friends of victims said police should have known the 43-year-old Vann was a threat and taken reports of women disappearing more seriously.

Victim Teaira Batey's mother, Gloria Cullom, said she called Gary police constantly looking for information about her daughter and never heard back.

"I'm trying to find out, 'Have you heard anything. Do you have any information for me?' Nobody ever called me back," Cullom said.

Batey's fiance, Marvin Clinton, expressed similar frustration.

"I don't think that they really did anything as far as looking into the situation with the information that we was giving to them," he said.

The family filed a missing person report on Batey in late January after she had been missing for nearly three weeks.

BBM

http://news.yahoo.com/finding-victims-indiana-case-lengthy-process-053341994.html

A lot of times "I don't know" really means "I don't want to admit to it."

<snip>

GARY &#8212; Gary finds itself under an unflattering national media spotlight as the dumping ground for a serial killer, but Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson is standing by her city and the work its done to dispel crime and blight.

<snip>

Van Dyk [Redevelopment Director] said the city is 75 percent finished with a survey being conducted with the University of Chicago to determine how many vacant buildings are in Gary, and the current estimate is about 8,000.

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/l...o-demolish-vacant-buildings.html#.VEfZ1Yffvww

<snip>

Asked about those cases Tuesday, Gary police spokesperson Corporal Gabrielle King said she would have to check. &#8220;I don&#8217;t know that we have unsolved strangulations,&#8221; said King. Police Chief Larry McKinley did not immediately return phone calls.

http://www.newsnet5.com/decodedc//s...-police-about-potential-serial-killer-in-2010

Seriously...Start. Working.

Well, his ex-wife's son said he was a weirdo.....I guess his court hearing is proof of it.

O/T You know, while learning to spell as a kid, I remember the learning phrase " i before e, except after c "

So what's going on with the words weirdo and height ?

<snip>

GARY &#8212; Gary finds itself under an unflattering national media spotlight as the dumping ground for a serial killer, but Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson is standing by her city and the work its done to dispel crime and blight.

<snip>

Van Dyk [Redevelopment Director] said the city is 75 percent finished with a survey being conducted with the University of Chicago to determine how many vacant buildings are in Gary, and the current estimate is about 8,000.

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/l...o-demolish-vacant-buildings.html#.VEfZ1Yffvww

<snip>

Asked about those cases Tuesday, Gary police spokesperson Corporal Gabrielle King said she would have to check. &#8220;I don&#8217;t know that we have unsolved strangulations,&#8221; said King. Police Chief Larry McKinley did not immediately return phone calls.

Seriously...Start. Working.

Dear Mayor,

Did the letter regarding what statistics were showing about murdered women convince you to work any faster on your "survey?" Or was this part of city planning? Get rid of vacant buildings and prostitutes to help clean up crime? How many people agreed with your plan that beautifying your city took presidence over doing something about missing and murdered women? Someone should tell you that a nice pretty city means nothing if citizens are afraid to live there.

The judge did grant two motions in court Wednesday, ordering parties involved in the case not to discuss it and ruling that Mr. Vann, who had been cooperating with the police, could speak to investigators only if he initiated the contact.

BBM

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/23/us/suspect-in-indiana-killings-refuses-to-speak-in-court.html?_r=0

Yes Judge, by all means lets try to block the info getting out and help to reduce the embarrassment of city authorities.

Suspected Ind. serial killer upset about media attention

<snip>

"Please tell your client this is an open courtroom and I have to let people in," Sullivan told the client's public defender.

snip>

Buncich [Lake County Sheriff] said before the hearing Vann expressed surprise at the number of news media in attendance. He also wanted to know why his hearing wasn't held in the county's main courthouse.

Meanwhile, Bob Ramsey, the FBI special agent in charge in Merrillville, said his agency has begun investigating Vann's time in Texas and North Carolina, two states where Vann previously resided. Vann lived in North Carolina in the early 1990s, when he served in the Marines, Ramsey said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ren-vann-afrika-hardy-gary-killings/17715997/

I hope the investigators can get more info out of him. Something tells me there's an
Abundance of unfounded and unidentified murder victims from his hands.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...entify-3-of-the-7-victims-20141022-story.html
Coroner using DNA to identify 3 of the 7 women found dead in Indiana
"Jane Doe 3." Her skeletal remains were found a little before 8 p.m. Saturday in the 4300 block of Massachusetts Street in Gary. She was wearing blue jeans with the brand name of RUI 21 size 3/4, Nike white gym shoes, size 6. She had shoulder length blond hair that was rust colored.
The cause and manner of death are pending. "We may have a possible lead through the phone calls we received from the missing persons reports. We will be conducting DNA analysis with her possible family through the state police," Frey said.

"Jane Doe 5." Her remains, partially skeletonized, were found in the 400 block of 43rd Avenue in Gary. The cause and manner of death are pending.
She was 5-foot-3 and African-American. She was wearing a color-linked bracelet with the words “best aunt” on the top, according to the coroner’s office. She also wore two silver rings, one with a heart shape on the top, and another with scalloped engravings.

"Jane Doe 6." Little is know about the woman found in the 2200 block of Massachusetts Street in Gary early Sunday. Frey said she was African-American, but her height is unknown.

Officials have not determined how long the women may have been dead and left in the abandoned houses, she said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine
Back