GUILTY IN - DARREN DEON VANN, 43, Gary, body count at seven, more expected

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Whoa! I expected a white guy.

Seems to be an unreported and rising trend, might check out this study
rbbm.

http://www.crimeculture.com/Contents/Articles-Winter10/branson.html

"The US media’s focus on violent crimes often depicts African-Americans as vicious criminals—murderers, drug dealers, perpetrators of assault and theft—yet resists portraying them as serial killers, a term legally defined by the FBI [1] as three or more murders separated by a cooling-off period. This article suggests several factors that have converged to allow the anonymity of African-American serial killers to exist and thrive. It is crucial to note that legal and cultural assumptions about black serial predation may result in this group remaining undetected by law enforcement."

Seems to be an unreported and rising trend, might check out this study
rbbm.

http://www.crimeculture.com/Contents/Articles-Winter10/branson.html

"The US media’s focus on violent crimes often depicts African-Americans as vicious criminals—murderers, drug dealers, perpetrators of assault and theft—yet resists portraying them as serial killers, a term legally defined by the FBI [1] as three or more murders separated by a cooling-off period. This article suggests several factors that have converged to allow the anonymity of African-American serial killers to exist and thrive. It is crucial to note that legal and cultural assumptions about black serial predation may result in this group remaining undetected by law enforcement."

Well, that's upsetting. Serial killers usually choose victims of the same race, so if African-American serial killers are being overlooked, it probably means it's because their victims are being overlooked too. :(

I hope Gary LE ask for some outside help with this one. I'm not sure they'll cope, otherwise. I know they have good reasons for their problems, but I don't think there's any denying they do have problems, especially when it comes to missing people.

Well, that's upsetting. Serial killers usually choose victims of the same race, so if African-American serial killers are being overlooked, it probably means it's because their victims are being overlooked too. :(

That was something that has been bothering me too. If his victimology is similar to Terry Blair's (African-American prostitutes), then many might have never been reported missing in the first place, which is sad. The West Mesa serial killer in Albq. is another similar case. IIRC, it took a good many years to identify every young lady.

More on Roxanne Paltauf here. She was last seen in the hotel with her bf.
[...]

The wooded area sits just a few blocks away from the Budget Inn near Interstate 35 and Rundberg Lane where Paltauf was last seen. A Facebook page setup by her family says she was at the hotel with her boyfriend on July 7, 2006.

She left the room and was never seen again.

http://kxan.com/2014/03/06/new-lead-on-roxanne-paltaufs-missing-person-case/

I remember watching Roxanne's story on Disappeared. I think DDV is a definite possibility in her case. I'm off to refresh my memory on her details...

I hope Gary LE ask for some outside help with this one. I'm not sure they'll cope, otherwise. I know they have good reasons for their problems, but I don't think there's any denying they do have problems, especially when it comes to missing people.
I agree. If the murders from Hammond are confirmed, then if it wasn't already, I think this would become a state issue. I believe that Hammond is considered to be part of the greater Chicago area (25 miles away), and Hammond is right smack on the border with Illinois. If he crossed the state line into Illinois and committed a murder there, that would become an FBI issue as well I would think.

As a side note and with the goal of providing some personal experience with Gary, I have driven through there a few times. My father-in-law worked in the Gary steel mills for years. It was once a thriving city (and I am sure that many of you recall that Gary is Michael Jackson's hometown). After the steel industry collapsed in the area, Gary's economy completely flatlined. It became one of the worst cities for violent crime. There are abandoned houses everywhere (one might even say there are entire abandoned neighborhoods). Anyway, I'm sure that there are posters here from Chicago and surrounding areas that can provide more information, but this is my experience with Gary. What happened to the city is a darned shame.

Any other areas he can be traced to besides Austin and IN at this point?

I am biting my tongue . :(

Indiana Serial Killer Suspect Darren Deon Vann Says Spree Dates Back Two Decades
Oct 20, 2014, 2:04 PM ET
By RHEANA MURRAY Digital Reporter via Good Morning America

[...]

"He's been giving us descriptions, cooperating and accompanying us to locations," Hammond Police Chief John D. Doughty said.

"We don't have a specific reason why he does this," Doughty said.

The chief suggested that Vann may have committed additional murders.

"The investigation could lead to more victims," he said. Doughty also said that the probe "could go back 20 years" based on Vann's statements to police.

Vann told police he "messed up" by committing a crime in Hammond, and is cooperating because "he was looking for a type of deal with prosecution," Doughty said.

[emphasis is mine]

According to police, Vann, 43 moved from Austin to Gary in 2004 after his divorce but was convicted of another sexual assault against a 25-year-old woman committed in Texas in 2007.He was sentenced to jail in 2009 and was released in 2013.
According to his arrest affidavit, Vann launched the attack on the woman in December 2007.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2799973/Bodies-3-slain-women-NW-Indiana.html#ixzz3GiLU7qao
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Hammond Police Chief John Doughty said that Vann, who lives in Gary, Indiana, met Hardy at the motel after getting in contact with her through Chicago's Backpage.com, on which she had advertized her services as a prostitute.

The meeting was arranged through another woman, who called a male friend when she became concerned about Hardy's safety after receiving 'suspicious text messages' from Hardy's phone.

When the man went to the motel on Friday evening he found Hardy's body and phoned the police.

Authorities then used the number that Vann had given and this led to the police tracking down Vann at his home.

When they arrived at his home to arrest him, Doughty said that Vann was unsusually cooperative and said 'he had messed up' and was 'surprised how quickly he was found.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2799973/Bodies-3-slain-women-NW-Indiana.html#ixzz3GiSYu4oi
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Looking at the map of where bodies were found something struck me. The areas were not close together. They were not on the same street. Which makes me think he hasn't just picked these houses at random. He has driven around and profiled the buildings in advance of even picking up the women.

J39JnPu.jpg

Afrika Hardy, 19

RIP, dear child... :rose:

NMzaOo2.jpg

Anith Jones, 35

Gone too soon... :rose:

Prayers and condolences to the families of all the victims.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/3-Women-Found-Dead-in-Gary-Ind-279708142.html#

Could Dr. Teleka Patrick who was found after having gone missing from Kalamazoo (MI) been among this serial killer's victims?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYMRadio
Back