IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
About that open window; I'm curious if S.A. opened that window himself.
The Sec. footage should show that.
Pretty damning evidence if he did.

I guess we have to wait until SA's Nov 20 hearing to learn of the evidence.

A judge in Puerto Rico ordered the arrest of Salvatore Anello on Monday after prosecutors submitted evidence saying that Chloe Wiegand fell from Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas cruise ship when Anello raised her to an open window on the docked ship. bbm

Grandfather of Indiana toddler who fell from cruise ship and died charged with negligent homicide

Last edited:
If a cruise ship is so dangerous then why is it always adults that fall overboard.
:(

Bc it’s mostly adults that cruise. If 99.999% of cruisers are adults, the statistics are in favor of 99.999% of people on board who fall over board, being an adult. If a million people cruise in one year, the chances of a child falling over board is .001%. Because only .001% of cruisers are children. (Or whatever the statistics of falling over board and total number of annual cruisers is determined to be.) Almost no probability that falling over would happen to a child just bc they are not on board the ship. Then add the dangers adults are exposed to as opposed to a child. Is a selfie taking moron standing on a top cabin railing more likely to be an adult or a child? I’d say adult. In the dining area, tainted food consumption probably closer to equal representation. Adult or child can be poisoned by food.

Surviving 150 Foot Falls?
All ^^ true. But she was only 18 months old, and wasn't wearing a life jacket. If she fell 150 ft into the ocean, I'm thinking she would have gone below the surface immediately. Would she be able to swim back up to the surface before inhaling lethal amounts of water? I doubt it. :(
@katydid23 :)

I'm sorry for wording my post in a way that made you think it disagreed w your yours, because I did not intend it that way. My apologies.
My opn was that she would not have survived impact onto either concrete or water after the150 foot fall. So the (hypo) lifejacket after falling onto/into water, would not have made a difference imo.

Hoping that explains it better. Again, my apologies.

Love this comparison! :D It all boils down to the fact that when some people cause harm to another they often look for someone to blame so they can live with themselves, rather than accept that they alone are responsible. Taking responsibility for their kids before the fact will prevent needing to absolve oneself of responsibility after the fact. But that’s too hard for some people to figure out, apparently. :confused:

boils down to.... lol (microwaved cat example)

I guess we have to wait until SA's Nov 20 hearing to learn of the evidence...

Does anyone think we might be able to watch live stream of the hearing (or eventual trial)? If there's enough interest, would U.S. media be allowed in the courtroom or at least outside the facility for live commentary? I'm sure that many of us who are following the case here on Websleuths would like to watch, if at all possible.

Lawyer insists grandpa not a drinker. Didn’t say not drinking at the time Chloe fell to her death.
So, why did officer father, (I think, maybe lawyer mom) IMMEDIATELY tell grandpa to refuse alcohol testing.
Hmm, why indeed?

Many states do have laws that say refusal to submit results in a license suspension. It would make sense to me that a person could refuse to breathalyze but instead submit to a more accurate testing method.
Yes, I don't know why he just didn't request a blood test if he really wanted to prove he wasn't drinking. Imo

Where does SA reside?

So he had to return to San Juan, Puerto Rico to face the charges, and being held on $80,000 bond, until hearing on Nov 20?

ETA: He's now been released after posting bail. Unknown if he can leave the country and return to Indiana.
Grandfather of Indiana toddler who fell from cruise ship and died charged with negligent homicide

Salvatore Anello, (219) 242-8189, Valparaiso — Public Records Instantly..

Who lives at 152 Congress Dr, Valpo IN | Rehold

Attachments

• D858590F-EF5D-4AE8-85D7-5CEEBDEE4462.jpeg
    D858590F-EF5D-4AE8-85D7-5CEEBDEE4462.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 10
Yes, I don't know why he just didn't request a blood test if he really wanted to prove he wasn't drinking. Imo
Maybe he really couldn’t prove he wasn’t drinking?

The argument I imagine is “RCC shows x number of drinks purchased by the defendant on the afternoon of...”

Defense attorney: “But do you have any proof he consumed these drinks? He left it on the bar, gave it to a traveling companion, etc”

“We do have video that appears to show the defendant consuming the beverage.”

Defense attorney: “But can you prove he actually swallowed?”
“Do you have any proof he was at all impaired?”

No proof of what he actually consumed or bac because no test.

I’d like to point out that another innocent person lower down on the ship, or the ground, could also have been seriously injured or killed.

People below, including first responders, would have been traumatized by this site. This is something folks get ptsd over. These people may also require long-term therapy.

My point is, Baby Chloe was not the only person harmed from this entirely preventable incident.

And it is really only fate and/or luck that no one below was seriously physically injured.

No matter how badly you feel for SA and that he “suffered enough,” he still should be made to answer for the potentially very deadly situation he caused for others, and the psychological harm to others his careless actions caused. MOO

Does anyone think we might be able to watch live stream of the hearing (or eventual trial)? If there's enough interest, would U.S. media be allowed in the courtroom or at least outside the facility for live commentary? I'm sure that many of us who are following the case here on Websleuths would like to watch, if at all possible.

The best I can find is a 1993 Supreme Court Ruling forbidding mandatory closings of preliminary criminal hearings also applied in Puerto Rico.

However, I'm not finding it hopeful that expanded media coverage or cameras are allowed in Puerto Rico Courtrooms.

(Reporters cannot be banned, but I don't believe proceedings will be available for viewing).

In fact, the United States District Court for the District of Puerto Rico website states that cell phones and electronic devices are prohibited within federal office buildings and courthouses.

And under instructions for Jurors -- it states that all electronics are prohibited inside the courtroom, and will be kept at the checkpoint. If there is an emergency and you need to be contacted, calls have to go the the Admin Office and they'll take a message for you.

https://www.prd.uscourts.gov/?q=jur...rvice-frequently-asked-questions-faq#computer

El Vocero de Puerto Rico v. Puerto Rico

I’d like to point out that another innocent person lower down on the ship, or the ground, could also have been seriously injured or killed.

People below, including first responders, would have been traumatized by this site. This is something folks get ptsd over. These people may also require long-term therapy.

My point is, Baby Chloe was not the only person harmed from this entirely preventable incident.

And it is really only fate and/or luck that no one below was seriously physically injured.

No matter how badly you feel for SA and that he “suffered enough,” he still should be made to answer for the potentially very deadly situation he caused for others, and the psychological harm to others his careless actions caused. MOO
BBM

That’s a very good point about someone below being injured, killed or severely traumatized. I can’t imagine unseeing and recovering from this!

Grandfather Of Toddler Who Died In Fatal Fall From Cruise Ship Charged With Manslaughter | KBUR

Oct 30, 2019

Chloe’s parents, Alan and Kimberly Wiegand, said they didn’t understand why there would be an open window so high up on the ship and that the cruise line created “a tremendous safety hazard that cost our child her life.”

Huh? I guess I'm trying to understand why raise a child so high up? Awful tragedy --everybody lost here.

The parents' comment here is yet another indicator - to me, at least - that Chloe's parents had not cruised previously. If they had, they would have known that the configuration of most cruise ships is quite similar to RCCL's Freedom of the Seas. Upper level decks with pools, sports courts, hot tubs, play areas, etc. are very open. Guests enjoy water activities, sunbathe, walk around open decks, stand along the perimeter of the ship and look out on the beautiful sea, stargaze at night, watch movies on an outdoor screen, breathe in the fresh sea air, feel ocean breezes and the sun's warmth.

Even when the ship is in port with many passengers on shore excursions, open decks are still crowded with folks who don't disembark or those who have returned to the ship after time ashore. There are also many outdoor activities that take place on open decks: ice carving demonstrations, fruit/vegetable carving, pool games, water volleyball, Zumba and/or other dance classes, etc. And, of course, there are plenty of bars and food venues on these open decks, so there are always guests eating and/or drinking in designated seating spaces. Not to mention, also, is that many - if not most - guests will gather on the outdoor, open air decks for sail-way from ports of call - especially on embarkation day. There is usually live music, dancing, specialty cocktail offerings - a very festive mood as the ship begins its voyage. Everyone is in party mode, and open deck sail-away festivities can get pretty raucous :D

I assume the ship video will be in discovery once they file against the Cruise line and the suit progresses. The odd part of all this is that they were offered the tape but declined...yet did interviews putting their narrative of what transpired out there ...saying they were not offered the video.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member