Found Deceased IN - Jacqueline Watts, 33, Columbus, 3 March 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Why didn't the police helicopter sent out on Friday spot Jackie in the shallow Flatrock River or on the sandbar? She was only 1/2 mile from her car and was last seen wearing a gray top and black stretch pants. She should have been obvious against the light tan color of the sandbar and riverbed.

It's not shallow everywhere. Go back and read the thread.

It's not shallow everywhere. Go back and read the thread.
In cold water, it takes bodies several weeks (sometimes months) to float up from the bottom.
Police helicopters have very bright search lights that shine over a very large area.

In cold water, it takes bodies several weeks (sometimes months) to float up from the bottom.
Police helicopters have very bright search lights that shine over a very large area.
Perhaps she was hiding in the woods. Or, she was unconscious from another accident (or intentional situation) and they did not see her. Perhaps she woke up, disoriented and made her way to the sandbar where she drowned. Who knows. But, for some reason, LE was confident enough to state foul play is not suspected, even before the official autopsy results. JMO.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Yes, that's why those bright search lights didn't help them see her

But that didn't happen here. She was located the next day. There wasn't a long lag time. I think she fell in, and was washed down the river and ended up on the sandbar, not having spent any time at all stagnant on the bottom of the river.

If it was chase animal/fall into river/hypothermia it will surely be a wake up call for everyone who gets tunnel vision trying to help lost or stray animals. Margarita, I am looking at you. :thinking: You can do the most good for animals while you are alive.

An elderly neighbor has a 3 foot wide but like 3/4/5 feet deep trench in his backyard that is like a small pond and extends along 5 houses. It is the most narrow behind his house. His dog fell in and then he fell in (80s, about 6 feet tall) and then he couldn't get out. He called for help and no one heard him. It was warm when this happened. He got his dog out and then he was stuck in there for a good 30 mins before he was able to gain footing to get himself out. No one ever heard anything.

That could have happened to Jackie. I would believe that more if she had been at her parents' house and saw an animal rather than leave all of her stuff in an unlocked car which was on...

I look at animal rescue from both sides since I also lost a dog: sometimes animal rescuers intefere with the dog getting home by grabbing it and taking it off to a shelter. I consulted with a few organizations dedicated to reuniting lost dogs with owners, and that is a fact an owner of a lost dog has to deal with-- that your lost dog may have made it home on its own after it stopped running, but met up with a rescuer and then got taken somewhere and put into the rescue system.

But that didn't happen here. She was located the next day. There wasn't a long lag time. I think she fell in, and was washed down the river and ended up on the sandbar, not having spent any time at all stagnant on the bottom of the river.

Its entirely possible she didn't drown.

Say she fell in and couldn't get out. She struggled and somewhat exhausted herself. She decided to swim to the weir to get over it and walk home. After she got to the weir, she hoisted herself over it (exhaustion setting in and may have taken a while), she flops over on to the sand bar. She rests for a minute, hypothermia takes over and she dies.

Its entirely possible she didn't drown.

Say she fell in and couldn't get out. She struggled and somewhat exhausted herself. She decided to swim to the weir to get over it and walk home. After she got to the weir, she hoisted herself over it (exhaustion setting in and may have taken a while), she flops over on to the sand bar. She rests for a minute, hypothermia takes over and she dies.

How do you know which sandbar she was found on?

Is it possible she saw an animal struggling in the water? (from the vantage point of the road) - that's actually more believable to me, than her seeing a stray on the road and chasing it into the creek.

I would just really like to know what kind of possible medical emergency would make someone park their car, turn their flashers on, exit out the passenger side door, and run to the nearest river... ?

What I was speculating is that she didn't have the medical event until she reached the sand bar (like diabetic coma or something that was brought on by her running and the environmental conditions).

This case is so confusing and tragic.

I agree with others that we really need an official statement from LE officials if this was really just a terrible accident or not.

I know the banks along creeks and rivers can be very steep and also sometimes slippery so I could see where an accident could happen. With what has been officially released we just cannot say for sure one way or another that it happened that way or not just yet.

Anxiously awaiting the press conference for more news. Lets hope they are clear in what they tell us today at around noon Indiana time.

BTW I appreciate all animal lovers who try to help strays but please do be careful if its ever in dangerous traffic situations or dangerous terrain. I too have tried to help quite a few strays and it can get testy at times. What scares me the most is the dog usually doesnt realize I am trying to help them and they can get aggressive out of fear. We live in the country and I think some people drop off dogs and cats they dont want in the country which is upsetting. I dont know why they think a dog or cat is going to be able to fend for themselves in the country. A few years ago we caught a glimpse of a car pulling away and there was a small puppy they left behind. I wish we were able to get their license plate but we only caught a glimpse. Its so sad when people do that. Most places have no kill shelters too if people would do some research and a little leg work. It sure beats dropping one off to fend for itself.

News conference announcement link below

http://wishtv.com/2017/03/05/columb...uspected-in-case-of-missing-woman-found-dead/

If it was chase animal/fall into river/hypothermia it will surely be a wake up call for everyone who gets tunnel vision trying to help lost or stray animals. Margarita, I am looking at you. :thinking: You can do the most good for animals while you are alive.

An elderly neighbor has a 3 foot wide but like 3/4/5 feet deep trench in his backyard that is like a small pond and extends along 5 houses. It is the most narrow behind his house. His dog fell in and then he fell in (80s, about 6 feet tall) and then he couldn't get out. He called for help and no one heard him. It was warm when this happened. He got his dog out and then he was stuck in there for a good 30 mins before he was able to gain footing to get himself out. No one ever heard anything.

That could have happened to Jackie. I would believe that more if she had been at her parents' house and saw an animal rather than leave all of her stuff in an unlocked car which was on...

I look at animal rescue from both sides since I also lost a dog: sometimes animal rescuers intefere with the dog getting home by grabbing it and taking it off to a shelter. I consulted with a few organizations dedicated to reuniting lost dogs with owners, and that is a fact an owner of a lost dog has to deal with-- that your lost dog may have made it home on its own after it stopped running, but met up with a rescuer and then got taken somewhere and put into the rescue system.

OT
Agree but I think a lot of times people worry the animal may get hit by a car. Getting hit by a car is one of the most dangerous things for a stray dog.

We had a neighbor lose their dog and when we finally found it it had gotten killed by a car.

So I can understand if people see a stray they usually want to bring it to a safe location to prevent getting hit by a car.

Where I think there needs to be serious improvement is the places that accept strays need to all get together and have a main phone number or website and get the publicity out so people know where to call to see if a dog has been turned in. I wish there was one main number or one main website that all people would know about to check.

I have found it is way too confusing trying to locate all the places that may have taken in a dog that was turned in. There are multiple places where I live and if you dont call the right one you may not realize the animal is there. It should not be that way IMO.
I think that is something that could be improved in lots of cities and locations.

When I try to grab a lost dog/stray it is because I want to hold it for up to three days at my house while looking for the owner before I turn it over to the city shelter, which is where rescues pull from. This way, the dog is held for 10 days for the owner to locate. Yes, the city shelter is the best place to bring them and I understand the stress that idea brings people (not for this post to discuss).

If I am driving the dog away from where I first spotted it, I stop doing what is NOT working. The dogs that I have rescued have willingly come to me, even if they needed a bit of dog treats because they were unsure.

Like I mentioned, I lost a dog I never got back and it was 3 months of hell before I gave up. So I am extra special aware that I may be doing more harm than good by driving a dog away from its neighborhood or the point where it would go home. I don't clap, chase, make noise. I try to slowly approach crouched down and looking away, I pretend I found something interesting on the ground and I sit down facing away from the dog to see if it will approach.

Please, those who rescue, don't keep driving a dog further away. At that point it is about you and not the dog. Stop. Ask if you are helping at that point.

(General comments, not to be taken as criticism toward Jackie)...

Based on other posters here stating where police tape was seen from overhead shots

OK, I found it and now I remember I disregarded it because there was no link.

Skib put links on her maps, so that's what I have been going by. She has the crime scene tape quite a bit upstream than the one you are referring to.

OT
Agree but I think a lot of times people worry the animal may get hit by a car. Getting hit by a car is one of the most dangerous things for a stray dog.

We had a neighbor lose their dog and when we finally found it it had gotten killed by a car.

So I can understand if people see a stray they usually want to bring it to a safe location to prevent getting hit by a car.

Where I think there needs to be serious improvement is the places that accept strays need to all get together and have a main phone number or website and get the publicity out so people know where to call to see if a dog has been turned in. I wish there was one main number or one main website that all people would know about to check.

I have found it is way too confusing trying to locate all the places that may have taken in a dog that was turned in. There are multiple places where I live and if you dont call the right one you may not realize the animal is there. It should not be that way IMO.
I think that is something that could be improved in lots of cities and locations.

Sure, that is why all I am asking is for rescurers to not get tunnel vision and to constantly, during the entire process of trying to lure a dog, constantly elaluate if you are doing more harm than good. For both yourself and the dog.

The border collie I found on the side of the highway clearly looked lost. I passed it bringing my kids to school. Couldn't stop. It was still there when I passed back from carpool. I went home and got treats and a leash and then went back to get it. It was so cute. She really had a confused look on her face and you could tell she had no idea where she was. So she was a relatively easy catch.

She was about 6 miles from home as the crow flies.

Skib put links on her maps, so that's what I have been going by. She has the crime scene tape quite a bit upstream than the one you are referring to.

You think it is possible she was found before the weir? That would make much more sense.

I think it was believed to be the sandbar since the road was blocked off near that location. By the aerial view, it is the most visible sandbar downstream, too. Who knows how dated those aerial shots are, though.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarthaMaude
Back