IN - James Chadwell II, 42, arrested after girl 9, found in his home, Lafayette, 19 Apr 2021 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope he was not allowed to plea down. He needs a life sentence. Society needs for him to get a life sentence!
I’m not discounting JBC for Delphi until he’s discounted LE. Maybe clearing this case will hurry things along toward a resolution, one way or another.
I agree. Unfortunately, I believe the lesser sentence is probably what happened. Hopefully, we find out tomorrow after the hearing. A life sentence is what society needs, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is something in the 10-20 year range with a chance for parole along the way. Disappointed, but not surprised.

I hope he was not allowed to plea down. He needs a life sentence. Society needs for him to get a life sentence!
I’m not discounting JBC for Delphi until he’s discounted by LE. Maybe clearing this case will hurry things along toward a resolution, one way or another.
I feel that some people are beyond rehabilitation. This is one.

Were there alternative higher charges to plead down guilty to? These are pretty serious charges.
...charges of attempted murder, child molestation and kidnapping.
There is always the possibility of one or more of these being dropped, like the attempted murder. I believe there is something here to entice him to plead guilty. I certainly don't believe it is because he grew a conscience. This guy is one unbelievable piece of work. Turning him loose on society after 10-20 years is scary to think about.

There is always the possibility of one or more of these being dropped, like the attempted murder. I believe there is something here to entice him to plead guilty. I certainly don't believe it is because he grew a conscience. This guy is one unbelievable piece of work. Turning him loose on society after 10-20 years is scary to think about.
Very!!!

Found another case in Lafayette where the jury just gave a guilty verdict. Sentencing set for Dec 2 with a possible maximum sentence of 66 and a half years.

We can only hope that "our" judge will be just as generous in piling on the years.

West Lafayette man found guilty of child molesting charges
This was the result of a jury trial. If JBC cut a plea deal for something substantially less, is the judge bound by it? Maybe this is just the sort of thing JBC was trying to avoid.

Last edited:
Friday, October 22nd:
*Change of Plea Hearing (@ 12pm CT) - IN – Girl, 9 (missing April 19, 2021, Lafayette, found in his home) - *James Brian Chadwell II (42) was arrested & charged (4/19/21) with attempted murder, attempted intentional killing of another, 2 counts of child molestation, kidnapping (where victim is less than 14 yrs old), criminal confinement resulting in serious bodily harm, battery resulting in serious bodily injury where victim is under 14 yrs old & strangulation. Plead not guilty. $500K surety and $50K cash.
Trial was set to begin on 10/19/21 continued to 12/7/21 in Marshall County
Case & court info from 4/19/21 thru 8/31/21 reference post #901 here:
IN - James Chadwell II, 42, arrested after girl 9, found in his home, Lafayette, 19 Apr 2021 #3

9/17/21 Update: Jury Trial originally scheduled on 10/19/21 at 8:30 AM was rescheduled to 12/7/21 at 8:30 AM. Reason: Court's Own Motion. Pretrial conference hearing on 11/12/21 @ 8:30am. 10/12/21: Notice of intent to introduce lab report filed by State. Supplemental discovery filed by State. Defendant's demand for cross-examination filed.
10/18/21: Order on defendant's Motion for Change of Venue issued-denied. "One report stated that Defendant 'is not the first person accused of an abduction crime who has been investigated as a person of interest in the Delphi murders' & that 'None of the other people of interest turned out to be a suspect,'” Judge Meyer wrote in his order. With Meyer's denial of the change of venue, Chadwell's case moves forward to the scheduled 12/7/21 trial date.
10/22/21 Update: Change of plea hearing @ 12pm on 10/22/21. Pretrial conference on 11/12/21 & Jury trial on 12/7/21.

Chadwell could face 160 years in prison at sentencing Dec. 16.

LAFAYETTE, Ind. — James Chadwell II has pleaded guilty to charges including attempted murder, child molesting, kidnapping, criminal confinement, strangulation and battery after a missing 9-year-old girl was rescued from his home. Change of plea hearing for James Chadwell II in kidnapping case | wthr.com

I’m working on something and am wondering if anyone knows Chadwells exact prison dates. When they started and when he was released. Specifically his time in Sioux Falls.
I don’t know if anyone has a list of the exact dates. Some of the info is in the notes on this map: James Brian Chadwell II - Google My Maps
Also you can try looking in the media thread for this forum.

he had nowhere to go with his case, he was caught committing the crime so that precludes a defence of I didn't do it, for the victim and her family it will be a crumb of comfort that she does not have to testify but what horror she has already endured and will endure throughout her life due to his actions,

Good news that he took a plea. I have no other WS suitable words for him.

I hope this brings his victim and her family some small measure of comfort and help their path of healing.

Forgive me for asking what has probably been discussed a hundred times, but is he still a candidate for BG?

I’m not at all surprised by the guilty plea. When i worked in the justice system, most offenders would say they preferred prison to jail. Jail is boring, not that prison is a bag of laughs, just reporting what convicted felons told me.

JBC has a long criminal record and plenty of time to experience both, knows he’s going away, so why not speed up the process and go where he knows he’s going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member