IN IN - Jasmine McNew, 20, Found Dead in Home - New Albany, 6 Sept 2019.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes, I was wondering the same thing. Olanzapine and citalopram (SSRI) is not a combination I've ever seen before or would ever recommend. For one thing, that combo can trigger more manic episodes. Furthermore, it would increase the risk of a potentially fatal heart arrhythmia. If I saw that combo at work I would not approve it and would contact the doctor to get more info.

If she was diagnosed with one of either
  • Acute depressive episodes in bipolar I disorder
  • Treatment resistant depression (major depressive disorder in patients who fail 2 separate trials of different antidepressants
then olanzapine with fluoxetine, another SSRI, may have been indicated. This combo HAS been approved and does not increase the risk of fatal heart arrhythmia. So why in the world would she be prescribed citalopram when a much better and safer alternative is available? I just don't see a competent doctor prescribing that. Knowing her mental health and prescription drug history would definitely help put the pieces of the puzzle together. Had she tried and failed literally every combo possible and this was a last resort? Or was she borrowing someone else's medications because she had misdiagnosed herself and thought these drugs might help?

For whatever reason, she had those two Rx drugs in her system, and the combination could certainly drive a person to mania and paranoia. That paired with methamphetamine is a very dangerous combo! She very well may have had hallucinations, delusions and paranoia that caused her to inflict harm upon herself.

I was just reading elsewhere about a drug interaction that resulted in serotonin syndrome. I know nothing about it really. Any chance of that here? JMO.

Some good points above by @realanastasia, but allow me to add a few comments from a pharmacist perspective:

1) Methamphetamine is not a drug used for ADHD, but an illicit drug not available by prescription. Prescription drugs are amphetamine and/or dextroamphetamine which are structurally similar but different to methamphetamine.

2) I'm not too convinced that her olanzapine and citalopram caused her hyponatremia, considering that she also had dehydration (this is known as hypovolemic hyponatremia). Olanzapine has a very small risk of hyponatremia (low sodium). SSRIs including citalopram have a greater risk than most atypical antipsychotics but the risk is still relatively small. However, what's crucial to note is that in these cases, typically the hyponatremia is secondary to SIADH, which causes water retention. This is known as hypervolemic hyponatremia, whereas Jasmine had hypovolemic hyponatremia (that is, dehydration with low sodium). Of note, olanzapine more commonly causes drowsiness, dizziness, and orthostatic hypotension which all do indeed increase risk of falls, however.

3) Most common cause of hypovolemic hyponatremia is vomiting and diarrhea, where you lose both water and salt. Methamphetamine toxicity causes vomiting (and less so, diarrhea).

To me, I think the key here is the methamphetamine overdose. That in and of itself could have caused enough vomiting to induce hypovolemic hyponatremia especially if she was already dehydrated from inadequate water intake. Was there evidence that she had been vomiting recently? If so, this paired with drowsiness/dizziness from olanzapine would have disoriented her enough to stumble and fall, leading to the blunt force trauma. My understanding is that blunt force trauma does not necessarily mean someone else was involved, but could just mean you fell and hit an object (or fell down stairs).

IMHO, her unfortunate death is most likely accidental.

Thank you so much for sharing your great knowledge and perspective with us. I agree that it seems likely that was a confluence of many events but not purposeful ones.

ADMIN NOTE:

Websleuths welcomes any new members who have joined to discuss Jasmine’s troubling case. Websleuths is different from most true crime discussion sites on the internet.
Websleuths is FACT-BASED and VICTIM-FRIENDLY.

What does that mean?
FACT-BASED Any info you post MUST include a link to the mainstream media (MSM) or law enforcement (LE) direct source to that info. Websleuths requires substantiation for statements posted as facts. If you can’t link it, you can’t post it. If you post something without a link it is subject to removal. In line with being FACT-BASED, WS does not allow rumors. A post stating something without a link is CONSIDERED a RUMOR, and not allowed.

VICTIM-FRIENDLY Websleuth’s does not allow any hint of blaming a victim for the crime perpetrated upon them. Family members are ALSO CONSIDERED VICTIMS and are afforded the same protection here.

EXCEPTIONS: If a member is close to this case and would like to share what they know to be true without a link, we invite them to apply for VERIFIED INSIDER status. That process is explained in a link below my signature here. If you are approved, and it takes several days for your application to be processed, it will say so on your avatar next to your posts AND you may post the info you know without substantiation. Members are free to accept or discount what you post, but they are NOT PERMITTED to challenge or argue with you. UNLESS/UNTIL you are approved for VI status, posts that contain inside info are subject to removal. Once you are approved, they may be reinstated.

At this time there are no Verified Insiders approved for this case.
IF/WHEN there is an approved VI for this case, WS admin will announce it here.
Posts containing inside info without verification have been removed and/or modsnipped.
Posts that quote and reply/refer to those must also be removed.

Websleuths trusts that all members who join here understand and support the intentionally strict rules we all agreed to when we joined. Websleuths has these policies to protect victims, their family and friends, and the people who read here, from the anything-goes no-limits types of posts that are found on most other true crime discussion sites. Websleuths is different, and that has earned us the reputation as the gold standard in true crime boards.

Questions or concerns? Please send a REPORT (click on the link on the bottom left of any post), OR send a PM to any staff member. Please do not ask TOS questions on the thread as that veers the discussion away from Jasmine, and she deserves better from us.

THANK YOU for your efforts to post respectfully and responsibly according to the WS Terms of Service. We are grateful for your participation.

CocoChanel
Administrator/Moderator

Last edited:
Jasmine was not an addict and this was not an "accidental suicide" as the cops put it. This was murder straight up. You don't spend 48 hours on a crime scene for a suicide victim. I don't know who did it exactly but it was either Cody Mcnew (also goes by Xenovia Mcnew) her husband who she was attempting to divorce or her meth head boyfriend Markus Reams at the time. My name is Blake Clark and I am the Father of the other child Jasmine had and she gave her away to foster parents. Jasmine and I had had plans to go see our daughter Madison and it would have been my first time meeting her as I was in jail for violating probation on a marijuana charge and was not consulted about the arrangement, but she was trying to involve me and did the right thing and told me she was my daughter after she found out it wasn't Cody's. Cody has so many motives it's not even funny. I do not know how he got away with it or how he's still walking around a free man but there's no doubt in my mind that it was him. He is a messed up individual. He was posting inappropriate BDSM content to Facebook not a month after Jasmine's death whereas I had withdrawn from social media and had to go to valley Vista because her death crushed my soul. I have never felt such desperation in my life. I have been chronically depressed over her death for the last 5 years and I am just now coming out of the fog. Cody has to know someone who works in the police force like a family member or family friend or the same case with the judge or the court. He needs to be locked up in solitary confinement in a maximum security prison for the rest of his days but the world is not fair and Jasmine, poor, sweet Jasmine is gone and he's still walking about with a new girlfriend. These are the facts I know to be true in my heart and I hope you all see this and maybe we can get Jasmine justice but I really just don't know. The world is messed up and good people die while bad people prosper. I will never understand. The police are a gang cut and dry. They're justa highly organized gang. They do not serve and protect they intimidate and harass and that is why I flip cops off everywhere I go and give them attitude. They're glorified serial killers. They kill us every day but if you shoot one of them it's and unforgivable act. Cops can walk in your yard and shoot your dog but if you kill a police dog it is considered police manslaughter. I have met 1 cop my whole life who was actually a good man and I have interacted with many police officers. I smoke pot and Im a misdemeanor criminals with a record but Cody Knew brutally murders his wife and gets off scott free. Mull this over people. I am done being quiet. Jasmine deserves justice. She was nothing but kind and generous and he was a controlling, psychopathic, sociopathic poor excuse of a human. He made Jasmine leave me by threatening to take full custody of their daughter making it so she would never see her and of course she picked her daughter and I do not blame her, it is only natural for a mother to be protective of her child. Cody Mcnew is guilty as sin. Don't believe the police. They're all crooks

Jasmine was not an addict and this was not an "accidental suicide" as the cops put it. This was murder straight up. You don't spend 48 hours on a crime scene for a suicide victim. I don't know who did it exactly but it was either Cody Mcnew (also goes by Xenovia Mcnew) her husband who she was attempting to divorce or her meth head boyfriend Markus Reams at the time. My name is Blake Clark and I am the Father of the other child Jasmine had and she gave her away to foster parents. Jasmine and I had had plans to go see our daughter Madison and it would have been my first time meeting her as I was in jail for violating probation on a marijuana charge and was not consulted about the arrangement, but she was trying to involve me and did the right thing and told me she was my daughter after she found out it wasn't Cody's. Cody has so many motives it's not even funny. I do not know how he got away with it or how he's still walking around a free man but there's no doubt in my mind that it was him. He is a messed up individual. He was posting inappropriate BDSM content to Facebook not a month after Jasmine's death whereas I had withdrawn from social media and had to go to valley Vista because her death crushed my soul. I have never felt such desperation in my life. I have been chronically depressed over her death for the last 5 years and I am just now coming out of the fog. Cody has to know someone who works in the police force like a family member or family friend or the same case with the judge or the court. He needs to be locked up in solitary confinement in a maximum security prison for the rest of his days but the world is not fair and Jasmine, poor, sweet Jasmine is gone and he's still walking about with a new girlfriend. These are the facts I know to be true in my heart and I hope you all see this and maybe we can get Jasmine justice but I really just don't know. The world is messed up and good people die while bad people prosper. I will never understand. The police are a gang cut and dry. They're justa highly organized gang. They do not serve and protect they intimidate and harass and that is why I flip cops off everywhere I go and give them attitude. They're glorified serial killers. They kill us every day but if you shoot one of them it's and unforgivable act. Cops can walk in your yard and shoot your dog but if you kill a police dog it is considered police manslaughter. I have met 1 cop my whole life who was actually a good man and I have interacted with many police officers. I smoke pot and Im a misdemeanor criminals with a record but Cody Knew brutally murders his wife and gets off scott free. Mull this over people. I am done being quiet. Jasmine deserves justice. She was nothing but kind and generous and he was a controlling, psychopathic, sociopathic poor excuse of a human. He made Jasmine leave me by threatening to take full custody of their daughter making it so she would never see her and of course she picked her daughter and I do not blame her, it is only natural for a mother to be protective of her child. Cody Mcnew is guilty as sin. Don't believe the police. They're all crooks
I didn't know Markus personally so I don't know what his motive would have been but Cody had plenty and then some

I didn't know Markus personally so I don't know what his motive would have been but Cody had plenty and then some
Welcome to Websleuths, @btc121296! If you are personally connected to a case being discussed on this site and wish to share information that hasn’t been published in mainstream media sources (newspapers, TV stations, etc.) you will need to contact the website’s administrators to become a Verified Insider. The process is simple and it’s described here: Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

If you don’t want to become a Verified Insider, any information you post on tgis website will have to be backed up with a link to a credible media source where it’s been reported.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelpingHandz
Back