GUILTY IN - Katlyn 'Katie' Collman, 10, Crothersville, 25 Jan 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
2sisters said:
More than 11,500 children were reported missing in Indiana last year, Indiana State Police spokesman 1st Sgt. Dave Bursten said Tuesday, and 368 girls and 293 boys have not yet been found.

Those are really alarming numbers. and thats only IN, imagine TX or CA's numbers.

:eek: Those numbers are absolutely shocking! Honestly, my head must've
been buried in the sand if those figures are correct. I hear of so few!
I truly thought it only happened a a tragic handful of times across the nation.
:furious:

in the way this man dumped this girls body indicates to me that he wanted her to be located, otherwise he would not have used the area he did. like someone said, if he is doing this at the young age he is now then he is a serious threat to the areas young children. I also thought to myself why this childs father waited 4 hrs. before reporting her missing, I wouldn't suspect the father cause the person that gave a description of a younger man that had no beard or mustach, her dad had some facial hair. for her to get into the truck willingly like she did indicates to me that she may have seen this person from time to time driving up and down the road, sometimes these creeps will drive around looking for the one to pick up, and during those several days or so in doing that sees a potential victim, maybe waving at her and smiling as he goes by, this builds familiarity between the two, then when he finally chooses the day he takes a chance at stopping and offering her anything that he thinks that a 10 year old would respond to. the ole puppy therory still works for some kids. some perps will even offer a ride to mcdonalds, or any favorite burger place. some even use the story that a parent has been hurt and they are there to give them a ride to the hospital or whatever. whatever he did have to say to her worked, and he now knows that will work for his next victim if he chooses to do it again, maybe not around the coruthersville area but somewhere near. I sure hope not.. parents need to enforce that normal adults don't stop along the roadside and ask questions and so on to get them inside the car, once inside they are at the mercy of that driver. PARENTS, PLEASE TELL ALL YOUR KIDS TO LOOK AT THIS CASE AS WHY YOU SHOULD NOT GET IN A CAR WITH A STRANGER. someone said she may have reconized this man, that is real possible.

dannyodie said:
someone said she may have reconized this man, that is real possible.

I was thinking about this last night, trying to remember how I was when I was 10.....

When I was 10 I was a little heavy, similar in build to Katlyn. I mean her absolutely no disrespect; I'm just trying to draw a parallel here.

Anyhow, here is the image I had. Katlyn goes to the store, and sees an older, "cool" boy she'd possibly seen before. When I was 10 I was a very poor judge of age, so perhaps Katlyn didn't guess the guy for 18 or 19. Even so, maybe the guy asked Katlyn if she wanted to go for a ride.

When I was 10 I would have jumped at a little attention from an older "cool" guy. Being as thin as he is described, he may have been able to pass himself off for younger then he truly is. Katlyn may have thought he was only 15 or 16, instead of possibly nearly twice her age.

I'm rambling, but my point is that when I thought of "stranger danger" when I was younger, I always thought of creepy old men, untrustworthy teachers, and people of that sort. All ADULTS. I'm sure I wouldn't have thought of someone who seemed close to my age as a possible threat.

It's early, and I'm tired, but I hope this makes sense.

I've tried to imagine if I would've gotten in a car with a teenager as a 10 year old. I don't think I would've, simply because my mom would've grounded me for weeks, but I would agree that a teenager would seem much less dangerous than an older man. I can see how a kid would get in the car with another kid--amandab's theory makes perfect sense.

If he's local, it bothers me that no one recognized him. He must not be from Crothersville, b/c I'm sure they'd know him. He could be from Seymour (pop. app. 20,000), Scottsburg or Columbus. Kids from that area would be familiar with Crothersville and the lake area (this really doesn't adequately explain the fact that it's a small pond) to some extent. All of the towns run along I-65, so it'd be easy to jump off the interstate at Crothersville, and then jump back on to go to the lake area.

Amandab, I too was similar in build to Katie when I was 10. I turned into a pudge just before my growth spurt, and then I grew several inches and lost the weight. Too bad I got braces after that. I can't help wondering what Katie would have looked like if she'd had a chance to grow up, though.

Guidance on Criteria for Issuing AMBER Alerts from the National AMBER Alert Coordinator.

The centerpiece of every successful AMBER plan lies in the development of clearly defined activation criteria. In response to requests from law enforcement and broadcasters handling alerts at the state, regional, and local levels, the U.S. Department of Justice is offering guidance on a set of criteria. It is designed to work towards achieving a uniform, interoperable network of plans across the country and to minimize potentially deadly delays due to confusion among varying jurisdictions.

The following are criteria recommendations:
Guidance on Criteria for Issuing AMBER Alerts from the National AMBER Alert Coordinator
(my source)

It is recommended that AMBER plans require confirmation by law enforcement of an abduction prior to issuing an alert. This component is essential when determining the level of risk to the child. Clearly, stranger abductions are the most dangerous for children and thus are primary to the mission of an AMBER Alert. To allow activations in the absence of significant information that an abduction has occurred could lead to abuse of the system and ultimately weaken its effectiveness. At the same time, each case must be appraised on its own merits and a judgment call made quickly.
Law enforcement must understand that a “best judgment” approach, based on the evidence, is appropriate and necessary.

I personally think that LE made a bad judgement when they didn't issue an AA immediately. The Amber Alert didn't fail, LE did!

May little Katie rest in Peace.

xxxxxooo
mama

Guidance on Criteria for Issuing AMBER Alerts from the National AMBER Alert Coordinator.

The centerpiece of every successful AMBER plan lies in the development of clearly defined activation criteria. In response to requests from law enforcement and broadcasters handling alerts at the state, regional, and local levels, the U.S. Department of Justice is offering guidance on a set of criteria. It is designed to work towards achieving a uniform, interoperable network of plans across the country and to minimize potentially deadly delays due to confusion among varying jurisdictions.

ariel7 said:
:eek: Those numbers are absolutely shocking! Honestly, my head must've
been buried in the sand if those figures are correct. I hear of so few!
I truly thought it only happened a a tragic handful of times across the nation.
:furious:

Every 37 seconds a child is reported missing in America. :(

With HOPE for our future, Lanie

So sad for katlyn and her family.
Prayers are with them.

Something that saddens me more is 3 years ago, Feb 1 .. Danielle Vandam was abucted and murdered, last year , Feb. 1 rst,Carlie Brucia was abducted from the car wash parking lot and murdered.............. and Katlyn was found on Feb 1- i know its just a coincidence , its so sad children are taken /, STOLEN and so brutally murdered..I just dont know how anyone could do this to a child . :confused:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,146225,00.html

~snip~

A 25-year-old man was charged Wednesday with abducting and killing a 10-year-old Crothersville girl, who was the subject of an Amber Alert last week, authorities said.
Charles "Chuckie" James Hickman , of Crothersville, was preliminarily charged with murder, felony murder and criminal confinement in the killing of Katlyn "Katie" Collman, said Crothersville Police Chief Norman Ford in a news release. Hickman was being held Wednesday at the Jackson County Jail awaiting his initial court hearing.

~snip~

Anniegirl said:
...3 years ago, Feb 1 .. Danielle Vandam was abucted and murdered, last year , Feb. 1 rst,Carlie Brucia was abducted from the car wash parking lot and murdered.............. and Katlyn was found on Feb 1- ...

Annie, I don't know if this will help you, or not, but Katlyn was found on January 30th. Here is the link

I truly believe she died the day she was taken, which was the 25th. It's very unusual for a suspect to keep someone for days, it's usually just hours. :(

No matter when it happens, it's always tragic and probably preventable.
I'm praying for you to be comforted, as I pray for Katlyn's family to be comforted now that her abductor/murderer has been caught. Nothing will bring this child back, but we can all do things to make ourselves safer.

Contact me on e-mail if you need anything, ok?

God bless you, Annie.
XO, Lanie

IdahoMom said:
An Arrest Has Been Made

Thanks for this update, Idaho.

Another photo of Katlyn I had not seen before. What a beautiful child she was.

Matches for Katlyn on yahoo.

Photo of the accused, Charles James Hickman.

I pray the wheels of justice are swift, Lanie

this is really good news in such a sad case. I am relieved to know that they have got a suspect, they must have plenty of info or evidence since he has already been charged with murder. I did see this being a local person, and it is nice to know they caught him before to much time went by. god bless this sweet child and her parents...

dannyodie said:
this is really good news in such a sad case. I am relieved to know that they have got a suspect, they must have plenty of info or evidence since he has already been charged with murder. I did see this being a local person, and it is nice to know they caught him before to much time went by. god bless this sweet child and her parents...

danny, did you ever call LE in her case and speak to them about your theories? I'd really like to know what happened with that, and noticed you never replied to me.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Crothersville Police Department at 1-888-58AMBER (888-582-6237).

If you have information, pls call and report it to LE, danny.
Let us know what they say when you call, Lanie

I'm glad to hear there has been an arrest!

I'm glad they have arrested a suspect in this case. He looks alot like the composite. It breaks my heart to know that this child must have suffered at the hands of her attacker. How a grown adult could kill a helpless child, how anyone can kill another human being, is beyond me.

My prayers are with her family. God bless this little girl. My own daughter will be in 4th grade next year and I can't even fathom something like this happening to her. I don't know what this world is coming to.

Good work! I bet they were working hard to find this guy...

I hope he is the one.

kk's mom said:
I'm glad they have arrested a suspected in this case. He looks alot like the composite. It breaks my heart to know that this child must have suffered at the hands of her attacker. How a grown adult could kill a helpless child, how anyone can kill another human being, is beyond me.

My prayers are with her family. God bless this little girl. My own daughter will be in 4th grade next year and I can't even fathom something like this happening to her. I don't know what this world is coming to.
I agree- this is the cruelest crime of all. I keep thinking about the fear she must have felt, and how she wished for her mommy and daddy. My heart is broken for Katelyn and her parents....

My daughter, soon to be 11, thinks I'm a weirdo because I drive her to the bus stop! Oh well!!! Better safe than sorry.

Looks like he's the one. The Seymour Tribune article says LE's reporting he confessed. www.tribtown.com Thank goodness he was caught. I'd love to know how they found him.

Thanks for posting that link Chocolate!

The article mentioned people gave false information to police. I wonder if someone tried to give this creep an alibi.
Also, I wonder about this possible drug connection.

I am so thankful that they caught him and my prayers are for her family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back