GUILTY IN - Katlyn 'Katie' Collman, 10, Crothersville, 25 Jan 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Police have arrested a Seymour factory worker on charges he molested Katlyn "Katie" Collman either shortly before, or after, she was pushed into a stream and drowned earlier this year.

The latest development in the death of the 10-year-old girl horrified residents here Thursday and forced investigators to reconsider their original theory of why she was killed. They initially believed she died after witnessing adults involved in methamphetamine use or production

Hickman and others hatched a plan to bind Katie's hands and drive her to Cypress Lake, about 20 miles from her home. But once there, Hickman, who was arrested Feb. 2, allegedly pushed her into the water and watched her drown.

"Our entire theory of the case was developed early, mostly with the help of Mr. Hickman," said Jackson County Prosecutor Steve Pierson. "I am going to review it."

http://www.indystar.com/articles/4/235294-7084-009.html

:(

So let me get this straight...she was murdered by Hickman and molested by Stockelman...and police are not sure about a meth connection at this point.

How sick....how many people were involved in this girls death? I see the article says others were arrested for misleading the police. Hopefully Indiana has a law that will allow them to prosecute them, unlike those scum in Florida who helped Couey

Does anyone remember the girl that was abducted while walking back from a convenient store and they though she had been killed because she witness a methanphetamine (sp?) lab?

Well, they just arrested some new guy recently who's dna had been found on her and it turns out that poor child had been molested (either before or after her death) so now the police are turning their investigation and now looking at it that that was a coverup to what really happened (she was raped).

I can't find the article for the life of me. What state was that? If anyone finds a link, can you post it?

That poor child.

lady-eowyn said:
:(

So let me get this straight...she was murdered by Hickman and molested by Stockelman...and police are not sure about a meth connection at this point.

How sick....how many people were involved in this girls death? I see the article says others were arrested for misleading the police. Hopefully Indiana has a law that will allow them to prosecute them, unlike those scum in Florida who helped Couey

I don't know how anyone could cover someone's *ss after they've found out they murdered someone, especially a helpless defenseless child. You know, I always tell myself if I could do it all over again, I would study law and become a prosecutor so I could make sure scumbags like this get prosecuted to the full extent the law will allow.............. :furious:

It happened in my hometown :eek: This is really old information. I'll find a link for you, though...

In January, 10-year-old Katie Collman was kidnapped and murdered after she allegedly witnessed a group of people making methamphetamine. Since then, the town of Crothersville promised to clean up their city's drug problem. WAVE 3's Jeff Tang investigates how the community is teaming up with authorities to keep its promise.

Katie Collman's death inspired a new mission in life for those in the small town of Crothersville, Indiana. "Show them drug dealers that no one is backing down," said Holly Riley during Katie's funeral. "Get 'em out."

While Katie's memory may be the town's inspiration, it was her case that led to new clues about several meth labs in Crothersville.

"As the investigators were shaking the bushes, so to speak, information would surface," says Seymour Police Chief Craig Hayes.

Neighbors, once silent, began cooperating.

"It opens people's eyes," Hayes says. "The community feels they can do their part by coming forward with information they wouldn't have done before."

http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=3186880&nav=0RZEYSZC

I am so glad that people are banding together to make a difference with the meth problem in their town. meth is by far the one drug that is causing these people to go out and cause harm to innocent people, if meth isn't stomped out, this nation is in for an epidemic of kidnappings and murder, its bad enough now, but I fear the problem will continue to increase with time.

John Neace, the father of Crothersville girl Katie Collman, also spoke at the news conference. The 10-year-old girl's body was found Jan. 30 in a stream in Jackson County.

"My daughter was abducted and murdered and molested," Neace said, and he said parents and police need to be more vigilant about protecting children.

"We need to fight it."

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050502/NEWS01/505020392

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-indiana-girl-slain,0,1725144.story?coll=sns-ap-nation-headlines

May 17, 2005, 4:52 PM EDT

CROTHERSVILLE, Ind. -- Johnny Neace, whose 10-year-old daughter was abducted and drowned in January, thought authorities had solved the case when they arrested a man who supposedly confessed to killing her because she had stumbled onto a methamphetamine operation.

But three months after Katie Collman's death, a new suspect has been charged, accused of molesting the girl around the time of her death.

http://adserver.trb.com/event.ng/Ty...ewsday/new_user_entry.aspx?CityStateZip=11727
The developments have turned the case upside down, leaving Neace and others in this small Indiana town to wonder where it all will end.

I just came here to post that.
This case has me puzzled. I wonder if the family will ever know what really happened to their daughter before she died?
From what I have been reading the community has really taken this tragedy to heart and is working to make changes to try to prevent from happening again. It took Katie's death for that to happen, but maybe it can prevent the death of another child.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,157164,00.html

BROWNSTOWN, Ind. — Prosecutors said they planned to drop murder charges against a man who confessed to killing a 10-year-old girl and will bring new charges Friday against a man previously accused of molesting her around the time of her death.

Lab tests led to the decision to charge 38-year-old Anthony Stockelman (search) in the death of Katie Collman (search), said Richard Benton, an investigator for the Jackson County prosecutor's office.

The fourth-grader was abducted Jan. 25 while walking home from a nearby store, and her body was found in a creek. Charles Hickman, 21, was arrested eight days later.

Benton declined to immediately provide further details on the changes. The prosecutor's office scheduled a news conference later Friday morning. Benton said Stockelman would appear in court on the murder charge later in the day.

.....................more at link...................................

Why did the first guy confess? :doh:

JMHO
fran

Maybe the first guy beat her and dumped her by the creek thinking she was going to die. The second guy was somehow aware of what was happening, went to check it out and saw she was living- he molested her and finished her off? That is the only thing I can figure out that fits.
So when the first guy gets arrested, he confesses because actually he dumped her thinking she would die. He may not have known of the second guys actions. Still, I hope they don't drop all the charges against him. He has confessed to beating her.

I believe since this disfunctional people were high on meth and took her for sexual reason, and drummed up the story of her seeing meth being made, I would go as far to say that she probably wouldn't even know what that process would look like anyway. I think she was taken to a home and raped and then dumped they all are involved, the first man should at least be charged for being involved in this. after all he knew about the whole deal to start with. why confess of killing someone if you didn't do it to protect one of his buddies? at least this crime didn't go unsolved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahburhouse
Back