IN - Kobi Walden, 31, murdered, Indianapolis, 1 May 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Did you look further to see the 'groups' he follows?
Not saying it matters or means anything one way or the other but....
I do hope this isn't a hate crime. His pictures look like he was lots of fun.

I saw him asking for a massage and a guy said he'd do it but Kobi plays for the wrong team.

From his FB and the news stories, he seemed like a great person. I feel so sorry for his family :(

From reading his FB, I don't get the impression he is gay. Maybe someone could have been mad he supported gay people?

From the mutual friend I have of his, I am pretty sure he is gay. And again, having lived in Indy my entire life, the side of town he lived on isn't known for being the most open-minded. Indy has it's really great spots, of course. But the south side is usually known to be more conservative. All MOO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw him asking for a massage and a guy said he'd do it but Kobi plays for the wrong team.

From his FB and the news stories, he seemed like a great person. I feel so sorry for his family :(

Quoting my own post, but I thought more about this and maybe these two guys are competitors and that is what he meant about team.

Quoting my own post, but I thought more about this and maybe these two guys are competitors and that is what he meant about team.

Very good point. Never thought of it that way.

ETA: While I cannot say that I know 100% sure if he was gay, he definitely seemed to support the LGBT community. And that community is pretty tight and vocal here in Indy.

Poor guy and his family. :(

I will never understand how someone can just take another person's life with such disregard for humanity. I hope they catch this evil :censored: quickly.

Sadly, marking my spot.

Very good point. Never thought of it that way.

ETA: While I cannot say that I know 100% sure if he was gay, he definitely seemed to support the LGBT community. And that community is pretty tight and vocal here in Indy.

Yes. Tight community in downtown Indianapolis, this is South, not so much

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I live on the Southside of Indy, and don't live too far away from the area Kobi was murdered. I've lived in the area most of my life, so am extremely familiar with the local.

I don't know Kobi directly, but do know a bunch of people who are part of his derby team, and everyone seems to be as confused about the murder as people here.

After reading some things in this thread, wanted to correct some misinformation regarding the geography of the crime:

-Kobi lived in Perry Township, not Franklin. Franklin Township is east of Perry, but they are fairly close (separated by a street).
-The Southside isn't as hilljack/redneck as some others have commented gat least the Perry Township area). I have close friends that are gay who have lived in Perry for decades - and nothing bad has happened to them. They are homeowners, and quite active in the community. I spoke with a few of my gay friends (just to double check), and none of them has had any sort of hateful experience in the area. I am married to someone of a different race, and have a biracial child. We have only experienced racism in the Whiteland area. We are also, as mentioned earlier, extremely supportive of the LGBTQ community - and have not received any backlash.
-Perry Township has a high Burmese/Chin refugee population. Unfortunately, contrary to what I said previously, there have been some idiots who target these individuals - but nothing violent, just ignorant. The community has [largely] rallied against racism, however. I only mention this as to paint a better picture of the location and community - trying to paint a more accepting picture of the Southside. I work in the Zionsville area on the North Side, and can completely understand why Southsiders are viewed as rednecks. The further south you go (specifically south Greenwood and further south), people are generally more racist and homophobic.
-The area where Kobi lived is mostly middle class, and lower middle class. Violent crime doesn't usually happen in the area, when it does happen - usually drug related. According to my friends, however, Kobi was adamantly anti-drug. I would be extremely surprised if this ended up being drug related.

I do think it is odd that this story isn't being reported by all local news agencies. Fox59 seems to be the only one reporting it. WISHTV and rtv6 both have had an article, and WTHR has been silent about the murder (I can't find any articles about Kobi on WTHR's website).

I'm not sure if Kobi was LGBTQ, judging by his FB profile likes and celebrities he follows, I would say he may have been (part of his profile is visible to me, most likely because I know some people who are friends with him). If he was LGBTQ (or an Ally), it seems unlikely he would have been the target of a hate crime. Anything is possible, however, but it seems unlikely he would have been openly targeted for his political beliefs (pretty evenly split liberal/conservative on the Southside). The LGBTQ community on the Southside also hasn't mentioned the murder, and none of my gay friends seem to be worried about hate crimes. Edit: His obituary was posted on FB shortly after I posted this. His obituary did say he was part of the Indy Pride Band - which is a group of LGBT musicians. I believe one would have to be LGBT to be a part of this band.

His body wasn't found in his home, and from what I've read they found his body pretty far away from his apartment. I read that he returned home late from grocery shopping (can't find the story I read that in, may have been edited out). I'm wondering if he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, or if his murderer confused him with someone else.

Judging by the little news that was reported, it seems like his body was moved and hidden (or maybe just hidden). There were reports of multiple gun shots, so he may have been trying to run from his murderer.

Unfortunately I haven't seen a lot of details regarding the crime scene. Residents of the apartment complex were given Crime Stoppers fliers, offering a $1000 reward. People who live in that complex report being shaken up, but are diligently keeping an eye open for suspicious activity.

This is a very bizarre crime, and is unusual for the area. One can only hope the murderer is found soon, and his family can rest knowing justice was served. He seems to have been a great guy, who was universally loved by all who knew him.

Agree with Drsmoo. Southport isn't as redneck as some have implied. I don't live in indy anymore but would not hesitate to anywhere in Southport by myself (not that there are many places to go ). There are 4 or so strip malls and about the same number of restaurants. I am sure it has grown since I have been down there. This is not a high crime area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I live on the Southside of Indy, and don't live too far away from the area Kobi was murdered. I've lived in the area most of my life, so am extremely familiar with the local.

I don't know Kobi directly, but do know a bunch of people who are part of his derby team, and everyone seems to be as confused about the murder as people here.

After reading some things in this thread, wanted to correct some misinformation regarding the geography of the crime:

-Kobi lived in Perry Township, not Franklin. Franklin Township is east of Perry, but they are fairly close (separated by a street).
-The Southside isn't as hilljack/redneck as some others have commented gat least the Perry Township area). I have close friends that are gay who have lived in Perry for decades - and nothing bad has happened to them. They are homeowners, and quite active in the community. I spoke with a few of my gay friends (just to double check), and none of them has had any sort of hateful experience in the area. I am married to someone of a different race, and have a biracial child. We have only experienced racism in the Whiteland area. We are also, as mentioned earlier, extremely supportive of the LGBTQ community - and have not received any backlash.
-Perry Township has a high Burmese/Chin refugee population. Unfortunately, contrary to what I said previously, there have been some idiots who target these individuals - but nothing violent, just ignorant. The community has [largely] rallied against racism, however. I only mention this as to paint a better picture of the location and community - trying to paint a more accepting picture of the Southside. I work in the Zionsville area on the North Side, and can completely understand why Southsiders are viewed as rednecks. The further south you go (specifically south Greenwood and further south), people are generally more racist and homophobic.
-The area where Kobi lived is mostly middle class, and lower middle class. Violent crime doesn't usually happen in the area, when it does happen - usually drug related. According to my friends, however, Kobi was adamantly anti-drug. I would be extremely surprised if this ended up being drug related.

I do think it is odd that this story isn't being reported by all local news agencies. Fox59 seems to be the only one reporting it. WISHTV and rtv6 both have had an article, and WTHR has been silent about the murder (I can't find any articles about Kobi on WTHR's website).

I'm not sure if Kobi was LGBTQ, judging by his FB profile likes and celebrities he follows, I would say he may have been (part of his profile is visible to me, most likely because I know some people who are friends with him). If he was LGBTQ (or an Ally), it seems unlikely he would have been the target of a hate crime. Anything is possible, however, but it seems unlikely he would have been openly targeted for his political beliefs (pretty evenly split liberal/conservative on the Southside). The LGBTQ community on the Southside also hasn't mentioned the murder, and none of my gay friends seem to be worried about hate crimes. Edit: His obituary was posted on FB shortly after I posted this. His obituary did say he was part of the Indy Pride Band - which is a group of LGBT musicians. I believe one would have to be LGBT to be a part of this band.

His body wasn't found in his home, and from what I've read they found his body pretty far away from his apartment. I read that he returned home late from grocery shopping (can't find the story I read that in, may have been edited out). I'm wondering if he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, or if his murderer confused him with someone else.

Judging by the little news that was reported, it seems like his body was moved and hidden (or maybe just hidden). There were reports of multiple gun shots, so he may have been trying to run from his murderer.

Unfortunately I haven't seen a lot of details regarding the crime scene. Residents of the apartment complex were given Crime Stoppers fliers, offering a $1000 reward. People who live in that complex report being shaken up, but are diligently keeping an eye open for suspicious activity.

This is a very bizarre crime, and is unusual for the area. One can only hope the murderer is found soon, and his family can rest knowing justice was served. He seems to have been a great guy, who was universally loved by all who knew him.

Thank you for your insight into all of this! I am from Indy, but not knowing this area as well, I will admit, I am looking at it as an outsider. I am glad to be able to admit that I was wrong to assume the area was close-minded. I should know better, and of course there can be idiots (as well as awesome people) on any side of town. I never thought of it as a violent crime area, though, so I was right in that aspect.

You're right, the local news coverage on this is pretty non-existent. I don't watch the news much, but even when reading it, I've only seen it posted a couple of times.

I just hope we can find justice for Kobi!

Kobi was my cousin.. He was a wonderful man, loved by all who knew him. It is a shock that anyone could ever do this to such a kind and gentle soul.. I am devastated this has happened and can't understand why.. Thank you for starting this thread!! I hope the person who did this to him is found and brought to justice, they didn't give a care in the world for his life. My heart is broken.. our family is shattered.. 😭😔💔

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Kobi was my cousin.. He was a wonderful man, loved by all who knew him. It is a shock that anyone could ever do this to such a kind and gentle soul.. I am devastated this has happened and can't understand why.. Thank you for starting this thread!! I hope the person who did this to him is found and brought to justice, they didn't give a care in the world for his life. My heart is broken.. our family is shattered.. [emoji24][emoji17][emoji174]

Thank you for your post. I am so so sorry for your loss. I hope for justice soon. Although I did not personally know Kobi, everything I hear and read about him makes it sound like he was an amazing person who loved his friends and family dearly! [emoji171]

Kobi was my cousin.. He was a wonderful man, loved by all who knew him. It is a shock that anyone could ever do this to such a kind and gentle soul.. I am devastated this has happened and can't understand why.. Thank you for starting this thread!! I hope the person who did this to him is found and brought to justice, they didn't give a care in the world for his life. My heart is broken.. our family is shattered.. [emoji24][emoji17][emoji174]

I'm so sorry for your loss and for your entire family. I'm praying there's justice for Kobi. I hope everyone who knew and loved Kobi keeps his light shining bright.

Kobi was my cousin.. He was a wonderful man, loved by all who knew him. It is a shock that anyone could ever do this to such a kind and gentle soul.. I am devastated this has happened and can't understand why.. Thank you for starting this thread!! I hope the person who did this to him is found and brought to justice, they didn't give a care in the world for his life. My heart is broken.. our family is shattered.. ������

Welcome to Websleuths!

Welcome to our Group!

I am his sister. He was running. He was gay. And no, he definitely wasn't into drugs. His body was not found far from his apartment. It was behind the complex on a wooded trail he use to walk his dog on. He had just gotten home and never made it inside. He was my world, my best friend, and the best uncle to my kids. Someone needs to pay for what they did.

I am his sister. He was running. He was gay. And no, he definitely wasn't into drugs. His body was not found far from his apartment. It was behind the complex on a wooded trail he use to walk his dog on. He had just gotten home and never made it inside. He was my world, my best friend, and the best uncle to my kids. Someone needs to pay for what they did.
Yes they do!! I feel so bad for you!! I love you, and if you need anything I'm here for you!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StacyStacyStacy
Back