IN IN - Kristy Kelley, 27, Boonville, 15 Aug 2014 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.tristatehomepage.com/story/d/story/-/Mq0jxvmIwEuA_tTOWBF2WA
A Warrick County teenager is alive tonight, possibly thanks to a guard rail built in January. His father says the death of Kristy Kelley allowed his son to survive a similar accident.
It happened last week just south of Boonville – in the same spot Kelley drove her car into a pond. But a the recent addition to the intersection may have saved a life.

http://www.tristatehomepage.com/story/d/story/-/Mq0jxvmIwEuA_tTOWBF2WA
A Warrick County teenager is alive tonight, possibly thanks to a guard rail built in January. His father says the death of Kristy Kelley allowed his son to survive a similar accident.
It happened last week just south of Boonville – in the same spot Kelley drove her car into a pond. But a the recent addition to the intersection may have saved a life.

LOVE this! :) Makes me very happy that something good could come out of the loss of KK. I still think about her every day!

Wondering why we haven't heard of the toxicology report findings? Anybody hear anything?

Wondering why we haven't heard of the toxicology report findings? Anybody hear anything?

2+ years since you asked but I just stumbled upon an article from a month ago that says that they were unable to determine the amount of alcohol in her system.

http://www.courierpress.com/story/news/2017/09/21/mysterious-death-kristy-kelley/479043001/

There's also an interview with her father there. I never realized before that there were parts of her vehicle found down the road from where she was found. Definitely seems like there's more to the story but the police won't reopen the case. :(

That's more info than I remember. Indeed odd circumstances.

'It doesn't make sense': The mysterious death of Kristy Kelley

[....]

Scales said he doesn't understand why there was no evidence of his daughter fighting for her life in the water.

The location of Kelley's SUV was, itself, an oddity. Surveillance camera footage gathered during the police investigation showed Kelley's vehicle traveling westbound on Ind. 62 toward her house, police records show. The lake where she was found was miles in the opposite direction.

Her SUV was found in park, according to a police report.

An expert who examined the vehicle said the extent of damage couldn't be explained by the SUV entering the water. Its front end and hood were crumpled. The bumper, fender, power steering pump and grill were damaged. The expert concluded there must have been a collision before the SUV entered the lake. The damage, the expert said, would have made it very difficult for Kelley to turn.

Scales drove and walked the roads surrounding the spot where Kelley's SUV entered the water, searching for anything that could have caused the accident. A volunteer found other pieces of the Xterra nearby.

He and several volunteers also inspected Kelley's SUV at the tow yard and visited the lake to look for evidence. Divers even went back into the water to look for other pieces of the Xterra.

[....]

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/09/21/mysterious-death-kristy-kelley/479043001/

Wow, pieces of the car found on the road? Unexplained damage to the vehicle's front end? Car in park? A sheriff that seals up an investigation and won't open it? Traveling in a different direction Than expected? Not saying goodbye to her friends after hours? Lots of unanswered questions remain. What a mystery.

So what's next? Getting the documents unsealed?

2+ years since you asked but I just stumbled upon an article from a month ago that says that they were unable to determine the amount of alcohol in her system.

http://www.courierpress.com/story/news/2017/09/21/mysterious-death-kristy-kelley/479043001/

There's also an interview with her father there. I never realized before that there were parts of her vehicle found down the road from where she was found. Definitely seems like there's more to the story but the police won't reopen the case. :(
Thank you for posting this. Really thorough article, very good piece of reporting. It does seem like a lot of unanswered questions!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Appeals court to hear arguments as family seeks records in Kristy Kelley's death

Written arguments filed by Scales' attorney, April Edwards, spell out numerous alleged discrepancies and unanswered questions about Kelley's death and the month-long investigation before she was found. Some of them are:

• Indiana State Police found a message from Kristy Kelley on the phone of her ex-husband Clay Kelley from Aug. 9, 2014, which stated, 'you would probably kill me and hide my body'
  • That Clay Kelley had reportedly texted her the same night asking to her to meet him
  • The alleged text messages were later reportedly found to be missing from Clay Kelley's phone, for which he blamed an auto-delete phone function
  • That Clay Kelley told police he and Kristy had been arguing but he was home with their children when Kristy Kelley went missing
  • A polygraph test was 'inclusive about whether or not Clay Kelley was truthful when he answered 'no' when asked if he directly caused her disappearance
  • Polygraph tests indicated VFW employees Dennis Hill and Tom Mattingly were being deceptive when answering 'no' to the same questions
  • That the 0.11 percent blood alcohol content of Kelley's body was most likely related to decomposition and that it would have been much lower at the time of her death
  • That her vehicle was found in park and the keys were out of the ignition and found with her body in the rear compartment
  • That Scales reportedly was never contacted by investigators after he told them he found pieces of Kelley's damaged vehicle at an intersection more than a mile away from where her body was found.
Among reasons Kruse gave for denying the records request, in an affidavit filed in Warrick County Superior Court, was that he had consulted with the prosecutor during the investigation and it was determined there was not enough evidence to charge anybody with a crime.

WOW, this is crazy. I really hope the family is able to get some answers. This poor girl died way too young and now it seems like it could have been a murder. Wow. :(

Appeals court orders Warrick County judge release records in Kristy Kelley death investigation

According to the appeals court opinion: "The fact that the coroner's office declared Kelley's death an accidental death just twenty-four hours after her corpse as discovered reinforces the fact that there was no criminal investigation. Therefore, we can only conclude that the (Sheriff's) Department did not have the statutory authority to withhold Kelley's file pursuant to the investigatory records exception."

They really screwed the pooch on that one. As soon as they declared it an accident, they took away their right to cover it up. I really hope the family is able to get some answers now.

So has the family received the records yet or is there a whole rigamarole with that?

So if the sheriff's dept files an appeal does the same judge hear and decide on said appeal?
My other question is what type of information would be in these records being sought to be released?

Wow. I remember this tragic case very well - was surprised to see it active on WS. I have some catching up to do. Thanks to WSers who noticed the new developments.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonlit7
Back