IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are really after CR ... but what about the boyfriend?
Seems like there is a motive there ...

Someone mentioned cell phone records a few posts back, and I really think that may be the key here. Someone's cell pinged here or someone filled up with gas on the way to that park...there's some evidence we're not aware of that would send them there, IMO. Fresh mud on tires, cell phone pings, credit card transactions. JMHO

That was me ... I wonder if any of these posts ever prove useful! But I'm sure the investigators know what they are doing.

They are really after CR ... but what about the boyfriend?
Seems like there is a motive there ...

It would seem the BF wasn't around that evening. Possible LE has some way of knowing he wasn't with her/with other people that night. Since it seems Lauren was with the BF before she ended up at IU I would be curious to know WHY they were not together that evening. Would seem troublesome to me to have a couple who were apparently that close to be out/drinking separately. Most couples in Long-term relationships, at that age, that I knew ran in the same social circle. Why were they not together at evening? Was it normal for them to attend social things alone like that?

It would seem the BF wasn't around that evening. Possible LE has some way of knowing he wasn't with her/with other people that night. Since it seems Lauren was with the BF before she ended up at IU I would be curious to know WHY they were not together that evening. Would seem troublesome to me to have a couple who were apparently that close to be out/drinking separately. Most couples in Long-term relationships, at that age, that I knew ran in the same social circle. Why were they not together at evening? Was it normal for them to attend social things alone like that?

Yeah at that age if you don't have the same friends you are not gonna stay together very long (personal experience).

I know this won't be the most probable theory here but I wanted to throw out another possibility ...

A lot of these drunken college students in Indiana end up causing their own accidents. For instance :

Wade Steffey disappeared from Purdue in Jan of 2007. After a 2 month search he was eventually found on campus in a utility room, he was intoxicated and had accidentally electrocuted himself while trying to find his way out.

Pat Trainor, another Purdue student, left a party intoxicated and disappeared in 2010. There was three days of searching until they finally found his car in a retention pond just down the street from the party he had left.

I don't know what police have in the Lauren Spierer case but in the cases mentioned above there were allegations of foul play.

I am sure cell pings were first on LE's list once they figured out who was physically near Lauren on that night. But if whoever took her away from downtown left their phone behind, that info won't be helpful. I am wondering at what point to would-be criminals remember to start leaving their phones elsewhere during body disposal and how that will affect future rates of closing cases and finding victims. There is always so much about "pings" telling where you are, in the news.

I was wondering if perhaps the boyfriend had a job, class, or other commitment in the morning, so he did not want to stay out all night?

I am sure cell pings were first on LE's list once they figured out who was physically near Lauren on that night. But if whoever took her away from downtown left their phone behind, that info won't be helpful. I am wondering at what point to would-be criminals remember to start leaving their phones elsewhere during body disposal and how that will affect future rates of closing cases and finding victims. There is always so much about "pings" telling where you are, in the news.

I imagine a 1st time murderer is not going to be able to get all their ducks in a row the vast majority of the time.

I was wondering if perhaps the boyfriend had a job, class, or other commitment in the morning, so he did not want to stay out all night?
This article: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-06-09-missing-indiana-student_n.htm

States that the boyfriend was waiting for Lauren to text him to come over and hang out. He was so worried after he hadn't heard from her the next morning that he went to Lauren's roommate's class to get the key to the apartment. If he was waiting on her to text him to come over it would seem like he didn't have something else in the morning to worry about, and he had time in the morning to head to the RM class to see what was going on. It seems the BF was fairly close to the roommate if he knew her schedule/where she could be found that morning, IMO that means they DID run in the same social circle, so why was this person/this night different?

I, personally, don't believe the boyfriend is involved, but I am curious to know if anything was out of the ordinary with this evening. If this was common practice for them as a couple (could be) or if Lauren heading out with just friend was out of the ordinary/uncommon.

So after reading for a few pages and getting caught up I have some more thoughts.

1. CR's attorney has been giving out a lot of information but LE has not acquitted him.

Maybe they are considering the possibility that more than 1 bad guy was involved.
Or the attorney and CR say she was with someone else after, but that person says no she wasn't?

Maybe they believe #1 and #2 worked on this together.

2. If the acquaintances get ruled out then suspicion has to fall on the boyfriend.

Obviously there are some very not normal things going on with this relationship.
Long term relationship but walking home with a male companion that she barely knows at 2:30 a.m. and inviting him into her apartment?
Boyfriend has his buddies follow and beat the guy up?
Boyfriend goes bananas the following day and follows the girl's roommate to class to get apt. keys?

Doesn't all add up to me and seems like this wasn't exactly a match made in Hollywood.
Just because 2 people are in some kind of relationship for a lengthy period of time doesn't mean it's always a good one.

Where's Lauren?
She needs to come home to her family.

"He got punched in the face. He has no memory of that, or of the 15 minutes leading to that moment. The first memory he has is the next morning when he wakes up in his bed, and that's corroborated by several people."

http://www.lohud.com/article/201106...ion-has-no-memory-their-last-moments-together

Was CR bloody from the punch to his face? I'd think a punch to the head could lead to a concussion, not a punch in the face. Excess alcohol may have led to his memory loss.

It depends on several variables, including the angle of the hit. http://www.neuroskills.com/swfcoup.html (I'm a neuroscientist, but I didn't make this animation...just used it in some labs.)

I'm a junior in college and have been with my current boyfriend for over 2 years. While we run in the same circle of friends since we've been dating for a while, we also have several friends that are not mutual. Personally, I think it's kinda unhealthy to not have any friends that aren't "just yours". We also go out without each other/split up at different parts of the night. Not as a result of a fight, just because we don't need each other 24/7.

Just my two cents :)

I am more concerned about the reported fights, one at each place she went after leaving the bar, than the fact she was with another guy; I don't pretend to understand the relationships of college-age people anymore, so maybe going to another guy's apartment at 3am is not unusual...:( but having some sort of a fight break out in both places is alarming and feels somehow connected to me.

This article: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-06-09-missing-indiana-student_n.htm

States that the boyfriend was waiting for Lauren to text him to come over and hang out. He was so worried after he hadn't heard from her the next morning that he went to Lauren's roommate's class to get the key to the apartment. If he was waiting on her to text him to come over it would seem like he didn't have something else in the morning to worry about, and he had time in the morning to head to the RM class to see what was going on. It seems the BF was fairly close to the roommate if he knew her schedule/where she could be found that morning, IMO that means they DID run in the same social circle, so why was this person/this night different?

I, personally, don't believe the boyfriend is involved, but I am curious to know if anything was out of the ordinary with this evening. If this was common practice for them as a couple (could be) or if Lauren heading out with just friend was out of the ordinary/uncommon.

I'm not sure what to think of this?? Something seems off about this scenario.

#1. Seems odd that she is with these guys if she is happily with her boyfriend?? Where was the BF that night? I'm curious that if he went to IU, why wasn't he with her that night too?

#2. Isn't it a bit premature to call the cops?? I read that he called around 4pm that same day. Less than 12 hours? He texted, she didn't text back. How did he know she just wasn't still sleeping off the booze? He goes to the roommates class to get her key...why such the sense of urgency so soon?

Stranger things have happened, but I hope they look into the BF too. Definitely seems odd she would be hanging with CR and take him back to her place alone at nearly 3am if she had a BF. Why else would they be going back to her place at that hour? I'm guessing they met some other guys in the elevator who knew she had a boyfriend, the guys started fighting, so they left for CR's place.

Someone mentioned above that CR's place was a mile and a half from Lauren's. I thought it was more like just a few blocks???

ETA: Hmmmmm....now I'm thinking about something. In one of the articles I read, it said the 2nd altercation with CR was the next morning. Thinking about the above further, I'm wondering if the BF got some info from the roommate about what had transpired, then got the key from her and went to check out their apt., then possibly went to hunt down CR which accounts for the second altercation?? I'll look for the article.

ETA: Found the article: http://www.indystar.com/article/201...er-case?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|IndyStar.com

The two then went to a building complex up the street, where Rossman lives. Police have said she visited two apartments there. Salzmann said there was another "confrontation" that morning at Rossman's building, but he would not elaborate.

I guess it just says that morning. Wonder what the time of that altercation was?

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-fami...t-offers-100k-reward-20110609,0,3522683.story
"According to reports, Lauren Spierer's companion on the last night she was seen, has no memory his last moments with her. CR, Spierer's companion Friday evening, was punched in the face after the two had returned to the Smallwood Plaza apartments.

In an interview, CR's attorney, former Monroe County District Attorney Carl Salzmann, said that CR was at Kilroy's Sports Bar with Spierer before returning to her apartment building at Smallewood Plaza at approximately 2:40 am. CR and Spierer were then involved in a confrontation with another group of young people. Salzmann said his client was told the confrontation occurred in a 5th floor elevator with several acquaintances of Spierer. At some point Rossman was struck.

"He got his clock cleaned I guess" said Salzmann.

According to Salzmann CR and Spierer then left and returned to his apartment. Spierer was last seen leaving the apartment building at 4:30 am, heading back to her own apartment.

"He has no independent recollection of a lot of the time frames before and after the assault. Somebody punches you in the head you have a possible concussion," said Salzmann."

Convenient IMO

So now we know the group were friends of Lauren. I would scratch then off the POI list. Who do we have left?

So now we know the group were friends of Lauren. I would scratch then off the POI list. Who do we have left?

We have total stranger, boyfriend, and last person to see her (which was not the guy she was with that was allegedly hit in the face).

While I do think something was going on in her relationship, or she was just full of drunken bad decisions that night by leaving with someone other than her BF, I'm starting to think it was the last person who says he saw her walk around the corner. There are conflicting reports, maybe he was seen on video walking with her? What was she doing at this guys place? She had taken her new drunk friend home, as it sounds like she's got a helping personality, and then she goes to see another guy in the same building who either watched her walk away or walked with her.

I guess you could also add BF's friends to that list as well...any close friends of his, frat brother's if he is in one, that sort of thing. BF definitely has motive. I would love to hear more about guy number 2, ie last person to see her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18