IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #18

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we still to assume JR is this last person to see her that you refer to above?

<snipped>

I assume the person who conveyed this info does not have access to the group Northsider talked with, so in this context, yes. At least I do.

Both speaking and writing to the police is voluntary in this case, as no one has been named a suspect.

Thus, this witness who voluntarily wrote out a statement is not avoiding talking to police and telling them what, if anything, they know because "speaking a statement" is voluntary as well.

It's true that witness/POI is not obligated to talk to police. But I am pretty sure police would prefer to talk to witness/POI directly rather than being provided "statements." One can not cross-examine a "statement."

It's true that witness/POI is not obligated to talk to police. But I am pretty sure police would prefer to talk to witness/POI directly rather than being provided "statements." One can not cross-examine a "statement."

exactly. I totally agree.

edited to add:

As this is a missing persons case, any false statement, written or verbal, made by a witness can and may lead to a charge and conviction of "lying to a police officer" and the witness can and may go to jail for this unrelated, unintentional lie. and it doesn't make a difference that the witness is innocent of everything possible in regards to the missing person case.

for instance if the witness has a speeding ticket on their driving record and they say "I always drive the speed limit" when they meant to say "I always drive the speed limit since my speeding ticket".

A witness who wishes to give a statement in case it may help find Lauren, may choose to help by giving a written statement to avoid the above scenario.

Yes and also, the "statements" could be two sentences long for all we know. There is a reason that LE and the family still seemingly focuses on her friends, with their squirmy behavior, especially what we know of JR actions in regard to LE and now lately dissecting random twitter and Facebook posts from other POI.
I posted about this earlier in the thread and it still sticks with me. The story we have been given so far does not add up any way you look at it. I really don't think JW or any of LS roommates had talked with CR/MB/JR before they filed a MP police report. If they did make contact with them and the story holds true that JR is the last "known" person to see LS, then why was the finger pointed at CR when he seems to not have any involvement with LS once they returned to his apartment? Why a week later multiple MSM outlets are still reporting CR as last to see her. Something is very, very wrong with the accounts of that night/next day that we have been given. I am very much doubting the timeline and possibly the order of events that night and next day.

Yes and also, the "statements" could be two sentences long for all we know. There is a reason that LE and the family still seemingly focuses on her friends, with their squirmy behavior, especially what we know of JR actions in regard to LE and now lately dissecting random twitter and Facebook posts from other POI.
I posted about this earlier in the thread and it still sticks with me. The story we have been given so far does not add up any way you look at it. I really don't think JW or any of LS roommates had talked with CR/MB/JR before they filed a MP police report. If they did make contact with them and the story holds true that JR is the last "known" person to see LS, then why was the finger pointed at CR when he seems to not have any involvement with LS once they returned to his apartment? Why a week later multiple MSM outlets are still reporting CR as last to see her. Something is very, very wrong with the accounts of that night/next day that we have been given. I am very much doubting the timeline and possibly the order of events that night and next day.

This is one of the reasons I've been so focused on the drugs aspect of the evening. As an example of how a benzo has affected my memory (when taken alone): once I was at a local fair with my husband when I took them. Afterward, I didn't have any free recall of some specific things I said/did, but when my husband said, "Yeah, you were with ____ at the ____ booth and you asked her if ____", then I was like, yeah, I vaguely remember this. But I didn't remember anything that surrounded that particular event. It has been 18 months and I still don't remember anything but that one particular snippet of an event that we discussed. On the other hand, last week I took one right before I went into my lawyer's office, because I was there to talk about getting a divorce and right before I walked in I started having a panic attack. Now I took extensive notes during the meeting because I know how the pills affected my memory in the past, but when I look at them I have no memory at all of writing that stuff down. I have vague flashes of memory throughout the evening (was there for about 90 min), but I could not tell you to save my life the order of anything we talked about except what I can infer based upon the notes. And I was nowhere near intoxicated.

Soooo, BPD has NOT searched that landfill and am I getting this correct, they won't unless they have a specific tip or reason to do so?????????? Hey BPD, you know that the dumpsters were emptyed on Friday and they couldn't have been searched before then!!! Get'er done!!
http://tinyurl.com/3c5uccf
In a perfect world, I wouldn't want agree with this post, but in reality, maybe it was a lot cheaper and just as efficient to put cadaver dogs through the area in and around the dumpsters, than it is to physically search the landfill inch by inch? It took over a month to bring cadaver dogs into some of the POI apartments. I know from BPD website they have one canine unit and it may take time for them to have access to cadaver dogs. Remember, cadaver dogs can hit on the scent of decomposition from quite a distance away and there are many accounts of cadaver dogs hitting on scents months after a death has occurred. I even found one article where cadaver dogs hit on the remains of pilots in a WWII bomber crash, 63 YEARS LATER!!!

http://www.csst.org/WWIIDiveBomberCrash.pdf
Rhea, Remie, Maya, Osara, Jack, Annika, Tali and Shiloh, are only eight of twelve dogs in the world that are especially and uniquely trained in historical human remains detection. During their time at the aircraft crash site, they displayed their amazing skills by alerting their handlers to numerous locations at the aircraft crash site that contained the human remains and other personal effects of the pilot and the gunner.

Not only that. The actions of a POI who instead of talking directly to the police gives written statements and then takes a "private" polygraph test instead of a polygraph administered by the police create the impression that maybe the POI wants to avoid certain questions or issues.

In a perfect world, I wouldn't want agree with this post, but in reality, maybe it was a lot cheaper and just as efficient to put cadaver dogs through the area in and around the dumpsters, than it is to physically search the landfill inch by inch? It took over a month to bring cadaver dogs into some of the POI apartments. I know from BPD website they have one canine unit and it may take time for them to have access to cadaver dogs. Remember, cadaver dogs can hit on the scent of decomposition from quite a distance away and there are many accounts of cadaver dogs hitting on scents months after a death has occurred. I even found one article where cadaver dogs hit on the remains of pilots in a WWII bomber crash, 63 YEARS LATER!!!

http://www.csst.org/WWIIDiveBomberCrash.pdf
Rhea, Remie, Maya, Osara, Jack, Annika, Tali and Shiloh, are only eight of twelve dogs in the world that are especially and uniquely trained in historical human remains detection. During their time at the aircraft crash site, they displayed their amazing skills by alerting their handlers to numerous locations at the aircraft crash site that contained the human remains and other personal effects of the pilot and the gunner.

Cadaver dogs can hit on the scent of decomp even if the deceased person is submerged in water!! Now, I don't really care if they only have one dog. Call in more of them. Money? Is that really an issue in this case, and if so, something is very very wrong with our society.

Let me add one more thing. If money IS the issue, than use some of the money that's already up for anyone who can find Lauren, or anyone giving info on this case that will bring a perp to justice. The money is already put up, USE IT!!

Sorry, I'll try to log on more often :)

So you're saying this person told you that calls were triangulated to Martinsville and made from there at approx. 4 AM the morning of 6/3 from the last person to see her??

I just want to make sure. Because if that's the case, then everything snaps into focus for a scenario I've been contemplating.

Do any of the POI's that we have been discussing go to Indiana University for classes, in Martinsville?

There are definitely no IU facilities or classes held in Martinsville. It's a 'larger' Indiana town (has some strip malls and fast food joints near the highway), but still rural.

Cadaver dogs can hit on the scent of decomp even if the deceased person is submerged in water!! Now, I don't really care if they only have one dog. Call in more of them. Money? Is that really an issue in this case, and if so, something is very very wrong with our society.
We live in the USA and money isn't at the heart of the matter? Again, perfect world scenarios. Also, I said BPD has one canine unit, they do not have any cadaver dogs. I'm sure if LS's family was footing the bill, LE may be willing to throw on their hazmat suits and check the landfills.

I bring up the next article for reference, not because I think there is any connection. Even though dogs hit on a scent and found items in the landfill, it did not seem to get LE any closer to solving the crime. Article also discusses budget issues affecting criminal investigations, ironically.

Landfill search yields clues in missing Colorado City teen case (Hailey Dunn)
Picture shown of LE in hazmat suits in landfill. http://www.mywesttexas.com/top_stories/article_8c57417a-25b0-53fd-aba5-83f5d803c2fb.html
"It's a sensitive part of the investigation," Kampfer said. "The cadaver dogs did hit on items at the landfill."
He said landfills in Colorado City and nearby Snyder also have been searched, but that investigators have not given up on bringing Hailey home unharmed.
"We have not given up on the idea she is a runaway or something along those lines of a missing person," Kampfer said. "We don't want to do that. If there's a small chance that she's still out there alive we want to keep up our effort to find her."

Landfill search yields clues in missing Colorado City teen case (Hailey Dunn)
Picture shown of LE in hazmat suits in landfill. http://www.mywesttexas.com/top_stories/article_8c57417a-25b0-53fd-aba5-83f5d803c2fb.html
"It's a sensitive part of the investigation," Kampfer said. "The cadaver dogs did hit on items at the landfill."
He said landfills in Colorado City and nearby Snyder also have been searched, but that investigators have not given up on bringing Hailey home unharmed.
"We have not given up on the idea she is a runaway or something along those lines of a missing person," Kampfer said. "We don't want to do that. If there's a small chance that she's still out there alive we want to keep up our effort to find her."

I totally understand what you're saying. But, too many missing people are at the crux of this problem. And yes maybe the Spierer family need to help that search come to fruition. I just can not stand to wonder if she might be there. Doing something is better than doing nothing.

Then what is Bradford Woods to IU?
http://www.iu.edu/~bradwood/

Bradford Woods is owned and operated by the School of HPER. It's basically a training ground for recreation majors. It's about a 30 minute drive, just north of Martinsville on state road 67 (which is an alternate way for people from Bloomington to get to Indianapolis).

The only things there are a couple of cabins (mostly used for university meeting spaces) and a bunch of outdoor recreation areas.

There wouldn't be any classes there at 4 AM, I promise you.

Although now you've got me thinking about something. Thanks.

The word "triangulation" was not used. I don't know if this info is based on technical info gathering. I thought about it afterward, wondering if LE looked at someone's physical phone.

To do a true triangulation, you would need to put in Smallwood/Kilroy's, 5 North Townhouses, and Martinsville, if that's where the cell tower pinpointed the call. Somewhere between those points would be the most likely place to find Lauren. What would the area come out to approximately? I'll do that and see.

This is an approximate for Martinsville - According to me -JMHO
center1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members