Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2011/08/03/news.qp-2477468.sto

BPD refusing to speak about landfill warrant, this is discouraging to say the least.

They are maintaining their tight-lipped reputation to be sure. The article says the warrant is sealed from the press and public yet the warrant is shown on the news report.

From what I have gathered, the "source" is the only one who has said that a) private excavation company will do the work and b) the work will begin soon.

Maybe the source is landfill related. Maybe it's an LE clerk or someone like that.

Perhaps knowing the landfill is going to be searched might have one or more of the POI's looking to cut a deal to talk....

Also, a question; while the prosecution can offer immunity, is it possible to get immunity from civil case prosecution? Can a family offer that somehow?

I haven't been following this case as closely as I did earlier :/ so I'm out of the loop a bit...

Can someone please explain this "new" video showing CR alone at 3 a.m.?

Also, to repeat the previous poster, where in MSM does it say JW drove his roommate to class at 8 a.m.? I've seen this mentioned a few times before on Web Sleuths, but I don't recall reading it in a news story. Or is this something from PT?

Thank you!

Good question.....ive always thought he drove his roommate to class at 8 a.m. Not sure where i read that-but Ive never read that it was noon. Who knows?

Yep. I don't know who the BPD is attempting to fool, but the FBI doesn't request a landfill search unless they have an idea that a body could be there.

Technically it sounds like BPD and FBI are the requester and BPD name appears on the warrant.

Why?

If a POI threw the body in the trash, then the police will have a lot more leverage against them once the body is found. The POI won't be able to offer much other than a confession. (They won't know where the body is 'buried' at the landfill, for instance.) A confession is worth something but it's not solid evidence.

If the POI discarded the body elsewhere, the POI will not care at all about the landfill search and probably feel like they got away with it since the police would be so far off the scent.

I believe the police would tell the POI's attorney that they are going to search the landfill and talking now about what happened will help the client down the road. An autopsy on a body two months out might not yield cause of death and it could be important to have corroborating evidence to arrest the main suspect.

In my mind's eye I see a small mountain of Bloomington trash SET ASIDE from all over trash.

It's been sitting there for TWO MONTHS.

She could be in it, yet they haven't searched it!? I'm confused. :banghead:

Maybe this recent report is a big fat rumor.

Getting back to Qualters' statement about the expense of landfill searches, certainly a "set aside" would be less costly.

In my mind's eye I see a small mountain of Bloomington trash SET ASIDE from all over trash.

It's been sitting there for TWO MONTHS.

She could be in it, yet they haven't searched it!? I'm confused. :banghead:

Maybe this recent report is a big fat rumor.

Getting back to Qualters' statement about the expense of landfill searches, certainly a "set aside" would be less costly.

With all due respect, Jupiter, we don't know if a set aside would be costly. It could be that Republic, the owner of the landfill, is more than happy to do this for LE. Landfills do not always have the best public image, and to be able to be seen as a good citizen might be enough for them to provide this favor without cost to LE.

What could have happened is that they decided to set aside, or, just not dump anymore trash on top of the original trash that had been dumped the day, or day after LS's dissappearance. All other trash from that dump area has been dumped in another area after the request for the warrent?

There is also an article about this in the Louisville Courier Journal. I am not bringing it because there is no new info there and it's only about 2 and half paragraphs long.

Just glad they are searching, hope she is found soon and returned home to her family.

http://www.wsbt.com/news/wxin-laure...-lauren-spierer-case-20110802,0,2615842.story

“The landfills owners released the following statement:

‘The FBI plans to search the Sycamore Ridge Landfill. We were contacted two weeks ago by the FBI, they obtained a search warrant. We are cooperating in any way we can. We don't know who they are searching for, we can't tell you times or dates. The FBI has reason to believe that something is in that landfill. What that is, we don't know.’

“Fox59 has already reported that Bloomington Police went to the landfill and asked owners to stake off an area where Bloomington trash was dumped. In an exclusive interview two weeks ago, the landfill's owner said the area had not yet been searched.”
(Emphasis mine)

It sounds to me that the BPD requested that the Bloomington trash be set aside, as insurance, just in case they needed to search it later for evidence, or if LS was not found alive, a body. When BPD made that request, they might have had their suspicions that LS was dead, but they also could have still been working on a missing persons case.

It could be that new evidence or new information-- or the fact that LS has not been found-- has now made the search of the landfill a necessity.

What I am trying to say is that the original warrant was to make sure that the Bloomington trash from the time of LS's disappearance was not buried under other trash. The Spierers might not have known about the set-aside request. Maybe, once they learned of it, they requested that people not protest against BPD and said they are satisfied with BPD's handling of the case.

Also, I think the landfill owner tips its hand with this statement: "We don't know who they are searching for." (Emphasis mine) They later state, "The FBI has reason to believe that something is in that landfill. What that is, we don't know." (Emphasis mine) So the FBI is looking for someone or something or both.

Ok I get contacting the landfill back in June to secure an area, if that is what I am understanding happened. What I don't get is waiting until August to get around to searching it. I mean it was pretty clear by mid-June she was not going to just turn up...

With all due respect, Jupiter, we don't know if a set aside would be costly. It could be that Republic, the owner of the landfill, is more than happy to do this for LE. Landfills do not always have the best public image, and to be able to be seen as a good citizen might be enough for them to provide this favor without cost to LE.

I must be stupid because I don't follow. I assume that a set aside would be less costly.

"Getting back to Qualters' statement about the expense of landfill searches, certainly a "set aside" would be less costly."

but the FBI is searching not BPD or Qualters so IMO he can say/not say anything he wants. he isn't the one searching. jmo

I hope we'll hear from Tony soon - I would think he's managed to pull some sources together throughout his time investigating and reporting on this case.

If anyone out there - Jupiter? - has the specific comment thread from Facebook referring to the potential deal between prosecutors, lawyers, and POI it would be great if you could post the link.

There wasn't any specific info, just an opinion/idea that that's what was going on. I find most of the stuff on the FB LSCS to be way speculative! And they get spun up into ideas like the protest and fund raising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member