IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.wsbt.com/news/wxin-laure...-lauren-spierer-case-20110802,0,2615842.story

This story was posted August 2 at 9:42 p.m.

"Fox59 has already reported that Bloomington Police went to the landfill and asked owners to stake off an area where Bloomington trash was dumped. In an exclusive interview two weeks ago, the landfill's owner said the area had not yet been searched."
(emphasis mine)

So, this MSM outlet is reporting that the area where the Bloomington trash was dumped has been staked off.

I also read somewhere, however, that the garbage is spread over an area with garbage from other places, so that would definitely make the search more difficult.

But, there is a starting point and a much smaller area to search than the whole landfill.

This report appeared 6/10. So LE says they checked the landfills prior to 6/10.

"We're not losing hope," said Bloomington Police Lieutenant Bill Parker at Friday's press conference. He stated that they will remain focused on finding her alive.
Police are expanding the search for Spierer, as well as retracing their steps. Parker confirmed that dumpsters and landfills have been searched and encouraged stores in Spierer's path last Friday morning to give their security tapes to police for analysis.

http://www.thedailygreenburgh.com/neighbors/spierer-case-appear-americas-most-wanted

Parker also says on 6/7 that POI are cooperating and at about the 18:15 mark states some of LS buddies did not have cars.
http://www.theindychannel.com/video/28157482/index.html

From http://www.wthr.com/story/15195963/spierer-case-search-warrant-obtained-for-landfill

"A few weeks after 20-year-old IU student Lauren Spierer disappeared, documents obtained exclusively by Eyewitness News show that on June 16th the Bloomington Police Department requested a search warrant of a landfill in southern Vigo County about eight miles south of Terre Haute.

"The court would not confirm if the warrant is for the Spierer search, or if a judge has signed off on the warrant."
(emphasis mine)

Sounds like BPD requested the warrant but it might not have been signed by a judge until recently. Maybe the judge told BPD they needed more information for probable cause to search the landfill. Perhaps BPD (or the FBI) has now obtained enough information to get the warrant signed.

This would certainly explain why the Spierers asked people not to protest at the motorcycle ride and why they have released statements that they fully support BPD's investigation.

Let's face it, BPD has been working this case since June 4. They have mountains of information that we are not privy to. And it could be that someone has finally come forward and given them some information that has given them enough probable cause for the search.

OR maybe BPD has been talking to the POI's lawyers, telling them that the landfill is about to be searched and the POI who talks first will get a deal (you know, like Law & Order :winko:.)

I do not think LE would have had any problems getting a search warrant for the landfill.While you do need probable cause with a search warrant unlike a criminal trial almost any type of evidence is allowed to show probable cause.For example anonymous tips,hear say evidence would be allowed.Besides what local judge is going to refuse to sign off on a warrant on this case.

I think you are right that this story was leaked two weeks after they applied for the warrant but before they actually started the search as a way of putting pressure on the POI.I think the leak of what was on the camera footage of LS coming out of the elevator was done for the same reason.I also believe you will eventually see other leaks coming out that cast doubt on their story.

Maybe they told employees to cool it to keep gawkers and the media away??? do you think???

that's my bet... they really don't need everyone watching while this goes on... AND depending on what they find/don't find, they may also feel a need to keep that a bit quiet while they work other aspects of the case. The more people who know, the less leverage they have IMHO

And I have always thought noon bc a poster on pt who claimed to be the roomate that was driven said it was noon. I have seen the 8 am time on ws many times, but do not know where it comes from. Does anyone?

The only place (other than WS) where I can find the 8 am time is a legalpub blog.

Since LE and the Spierer's seem to have been so quite lately and now the FBI is in charge of the landfill.I believe someone involved has either come forward with information or they have found some evidence that is significant.For the FBI to now be in charge of the landfill is major to me.

Since LE and the Spierer's seem to have been so quite lately and now the FBI is in charge of the landfill.I believe someone involved has either come forward with information or they have found some evidence that is significant.For the FBI to now be in charge of the landfill is major to me.

I don't really know the protocol of FBI involvement, but could that mean a drug dealer connection or an out-of-state suspect? What causes the FBI to get involved?

Good point. It may well be that an arrest is imminent if they find a body.

I don't really know the protocol of FBI involvement, but could that mean a drug dealer connection or an out-of-state suspect? What causes the FBI to get involved?

I was wondering the same thing? Especially with Qualter's comment about the cost of a landfill search. Was BPD waiting/hoping for the FBI to step in?

Thank you for the link. Although that blog is helpful in that it attempts to synthesize all the random scraps of info that exist in this case, it's not perfect and in many instances relies on unsubstantiated info. The dumpsters being emptied before 8am for example has never been confirmed yet it is also on that timeline. I dont know where the writer got the 8am time. I am quite sure that someone claiming to be JW's roomate says that JW drove him to a noon class and was acting normally. Im sorry, I'm new this and don't know how to link but it's on PT, On June 24 at 6:31 on page 16 of the 4th thread. Of course, I have no idea if this guy is legit.

Simply an observation - There was a LS Missing Persons Poster taped to the window of a Travel America on I-70E in Indiana, just a few miles west of the Ohio border.

Thank you for the link. Although that blog is helpful in that it attempts to synthesize all the random scraps of info that exist in this case, it's not perfect and in many instances relies on unsubstantiated info. The dumpsters being emptied before 8am for example has never been confirmed yet it is also on that timeline. I dont know where the writer got the 8am time. I am quite sure that someone claiming to be JW's roomate says that JW drove him to a noon class and was acting normally. Im sorry, I'm new this and don't know how to link but it's on PT, On June 24 at 6:31 on page 16 of the 4th thread. Of course, I have no idea if this guy is legit.

I was reading when he was posting-i must of spaced the noon thing. A couple ppl On there made a pretty good case about him being for real-but it is the internet so u never know.
I think its human nature to talk-i really dont see ppl continuing to keep quiet about this. What happened WILL come out. Hopefully its already started. And school starts soon

I came here to post because I couldn't sleep ... and was trying to answer my own previous question about why it took so long for the landfill search ... plus why the FBI is doing it vs. BPD. It appears this is already being discussed!

It can't be the BPD wanting the FBI's involvement because of something like cost; the FBI couldn't do that. The BPD would have to prove to the FBI that there was reason, above LS' disappearance, for their involvement. And I do believe that either/both of what you noted would be potential reason. Below is info and a link (from allexperts.com). IMO, this falls into category (2), Criminal Priorities. Even if the "other instance" was applicable (doubtful here, IMO), it would need to be within the FBI's mission.

"The FBI has authority to investigate specific crimes, and they fall within two categories: (1) National Security Priorities, which include counterterrorism, counterintelligence, and cyber crimes; and (2) Criminal Priorities, which include public corruption, civil rights, organized crime, white-collar crime, and major theft/violent crime. If you go to the FBI’s web site, you can click on links to get more specific information on each of these sub categories. Here is the link: http://www.fbi.gov/hq.htm

"There is one other instance when the FBI would get involved in an investigation of a local or state police agency. If there is substantiated evidence that the officers in the local/state agency are not carrying out an objective investigation or have engaged in behaviors that could undermine the investigation, the FBI might get involved; however, the FBI's involvement would be in line with its mission (such as public corruption on the part of the police department or one of the other crimes listed, such as maybe civil rights). But beyond this, the FBI does not arbitrarily decide to investigate crimes in local jurisdictions."

There is one other instance when the FBI would get involved in an investigation of a local or state police agency. If there is substantiated evidence that the officers in the local/state agency are not carrying out an objective investigation or have engaged in behaviors that could undermine the investigation, the FBI might get involved; however, the FBI's involvement would be in line with its mission (such as public corruption on the part of the police department or one of the other crimes listed, such as maybe civil rights).

Maybe they've been reading ChickJustin's blog? LOL

I believe the police would tell the POI's attorney that they are going to search the landfill and talking now about what happened will help the client down the road. An autopsy on a body two months out might not yield cause of death and it could be important to have corroborating evidence to arrest the main suspect.

They're going to have to get the body anyway, and I would certainly hope they do an autopsy anyway. If (say) the perp said "she OD'ed on coke and we panicked", you'd want to verify that in case she had something else in her system or died by another cause.

I think the police would have a lot more leverage after the body was found to get an appropriate sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste