IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been unable to reach this thread for 2 days for some reason, but just saw landfill news on HLN! Oh, I hope this leads to something for that family. If not, then what? Ugh, don't even want to think about it. Glad HLN reported on story.

So frustrated w/this, that I suddenly packed up my two little ones in 15 mins and drove 1.5hrs to Btown on Monday, lol. Not a LE officer or car in sight anywhere. NONE, including on way in and out of town. Lots of posters in area, though. Walked the whole area, ate at Irish Lion and ice cream at Bubs for my little guys. Wondered if any of the people I saw were any of you. :) Made several observations, but landfill news is more impt now, so I will save those for later.

since none of us (I think) will be digging in the landfill... please share your observations!!

since none of us (I think) will be digging in the landfill... please share your observations!!

Not much to add to others' observations, really. Surprised by amount of construction. It made traffic a NIGHTMARE, hardly a spot for an easy escape (if stranger abduction.) Very small area in question, with different road/building construction all around it.

Also surprised by rough terrain of the path that LS took that night, w/o shoes. Alley unpaved for part of it, and just covered in big sharp rocks, glass, bottle caps, etc. My boys struggled with the uphill angle and rocks under flip flops. Sharp rocks were all over the sidewalks as well.

LS Posters were heavily taped onto the outside of each of the apt windows in CR/JR's building (appeared done by volunteers on purpose, not done by apt inhabitants.) CR's apt looked occupied. All of the windows there had a layer of dust on them from the construction, but CR's had been wiped clear at eye level with a bare hand, as if to be peeked into. His other window had at least two different liquids that appeared to be thrown at the window, and had then dried. The other windows didn't.

Area dumpsters looked smaller than I had imagined. Students driving shiny new Audis, BMWs, SUVs. WOW. Not my campus experience at that age.

Noted the tree around 10th(?) and College on way back from JR's which blocked the view of the path past the first block (meaning, he would not have been able to see her past first block anyway, not at all.) Noted the camera at corner of Salzmann's, which was pointed mostly downward. Center camera was not there, unless I'm blind, and I looked twice, thoroughly. Again, not one single LE official or car seen anywhere, and I looked.

Again, just random observations and thoughts as I was walking w/my little ones. Just really wanted to go there and send LS some love, and to let her know that although her whereabouts are unknown, she is not alone.

(Another blurb about LS case and landfill news on HLN just now, followed by Holly Bobo update.)

Not much to add to others' observations, really. Surprised by amount of construction. It made traffic a NIGHTMARE, hardly a spot for an easy escape (if stranger abduction.) Very small area in question, with different road/building construction all around it.

Also surprised by rough terrain of the path that LS took that night, w/o shoes. Alley unpaved for part of it, and just covered in big sharp rocks, glass, bottle caps, etc. My boys struggled with the uphill angle and rocks under flip flops. Sharp rocks were all over the sidewalks as well.

LS Posters were heavily taped onto the outside of each of the apt windows in CR/JR's building (appeared done by volunteers on purpose, not done by apt inhabitants.) CR's apt looked occupied. All of the windows there had a layer of dust on them from the construction, but CR's had been wiped clear at eye level with a bare hand, as if to be peeked into. His other window had at least two different liquids that appeared to be thrown at the window, and had then dried. The other windows didn't.

Area dumpsters looked smaller than I had imagined. Students driving shiny new Audis, BMWs, SUVs. WOW. Not my campus experience at that age.

Noted the tree around 10th(?) and College on way back from JR's which blocked the view of the path past the first block (meaning, he would not have been able to see her past first block anyway, not at all.) Noted the camera at corner of Salzmann's, which was pointed mostly downward. Center camera was not there, unless I'm blind, and I looked twice, thoroughly. Again, not one single LE official or car seen anywhere, and I looked.

Again, just random observations and thoughts as I was walking w/my little ones. Just really wanted to go there and send LS some love, and to let her know that although her whereabouts are unknown, she is not alone.

(Another blurb about LS case and landfill news on HLN just now, followed by Holly Bobo update.)

Nice, GobBluth! Good for you that you made the trip. A few quick comments...

It's not uncommon to walk around Bloomington on any given day and not see LE unless it's a party weekend or they are attending to a call or incident. There certainly isn't the manpower for them to stake out at 5 North. Although apparently someone stands guard in the bldg under construction across from 5 North all night long. (On Monday, LE was busy with a hostage situation at a store south of town.)

The bldg and road construction in Blgtn right now is out of control. Surpasses anything I've ever seen. But on June 3 it was much quieter, streets were not closed off in the immediate vicinity like they are now. City is trying to get it all done before s's arrive in a few weeks.

Regarding the tree and foliage at 11th and College. I know, right?!

Hope you enjoyed good eats.

Can't find it... do you have a link? TIA

It was on TV, in between other stories (some not newsworthy, IMO.) I've seen it three times on HLN today. It seems to loop around at :15-16 after each hour, but I may be wrong.

Nice, GobBluth! Good for you that you made the trip. A few quick comments...

It's not uncommon to walk around Bloomington on any given day and not see LE unless it's a party weekend or they are attending to a call or incident. There certainly isn't the manpower for them to stake out at 5 North. Although apparently someone stands guard in the bldg under construction across from 5 North all night long. (On Monday, LE was busy with a hostage situation at a store south of town.)

The bldg and road construction in Blgtn right now is out of control. Surpasses anything I've ever seen. But on June 3 it was much quieter, streets were not closed off in the immediate vicinity like they are now. City is trying to get it all done before s's arrive in a few weeks.

Regarding the tree and foliage at 11th and College. I know, right?!

Hope you enjoyed good eats.

I had super yummy corned beef and cabbage, as that was when there was some posting here about the "breakfast tweet," and it made me crave it, lol. I wasn't surprised not to see LE, but was more curious since other "lurkers" in the area had some interesting encounters. It was pretty surreal to see the area in person, but I'm glad I made the road trip. Got some good wine at Oliver Winery, too. Would love to be able to toast when LS found alive. If only...

Really found it interesting that 5 North was VERY clearly targeted w/LS posters, and I thought it sent a message.

Uh oh, verdict in Jeffs trial....

So glad to see the mention of LS (followed by Holly Bobo) on HLN earlier today! Talked about possible landfill search- showed video of landfill. Sounded like they'd have longer segments on both Lauren and Holly later. Did anyone see another LS story on CNN? I missed the beginning of JVM show tonight, but the last part was all Holly Bobo. And Nancy Grace so far is about Warren Jeffs verdict.

Landfill question: does the trash collected by private companies (5 North) go to the same landfill as City of Bloomington trash? And did they 'set aside' privately collected trash along with city trash? Thanks.

snipped:

Thanks GobBluth - something I wondered about way back on an early thread was how could LS's "friends" let her walk without shoes in that area!?

Were they all so high they were oblivious to her not having shoes, or perhaps so into themselves that they didn't care?

I go back and forth on the shoe issue. I have had nights where articles of clothing were magically going missing on me and my friends throughout the night. But she spent most of the night without shoes walking many places and seeing many people and still remained shoe-less? A local said it isn't uncommon to see drunk people without shoes walking around the area though.
I just would think one of the many friends who saw her would get her some damn shoes.

I don't think there has ever been any report that she was or was not without shoes after returning from the bar. Just that she walked from the bar to SW without them. Someone could easily have lent her some flip flops or something.

Bloom54-That makes sense to me, but I swear someone said that there was either video or statements of her leaving Smallwood without any shoes. I am not sure if that was confirmed or rumor-at this point, I need to review what is confirmed or rumor because it is starting to get blurred!

I think the info given when she was listed as "missing" has always said "barefoot."

About the shoes, the bar she was in has a "sand pit" where people take off their shoes and put their feet in the sand.

If she was that out of it, I could definitely see her leaving without her shoes.

I've never been able to get past her losing shoes, key, phone and purse, literally everything she went out with, and yet continue on for the evening as if nothing was amiss...

I've never been able to get past her losing shoes, key, phone and purse, literally everything she went out with, and yet continue on for the evening as if nothing was amiss...

One night back in my college party days I had a friend pick me up from my dorm and take me to a party. I left my purse/keys in the car knowing I wouldn't need it until that friend took me home later. Well, someone took that car to a bar later that night and I sobered up very quickly when I realized my keys and purse were gone and I wouldn't be able to get back into my dorm.

I go back and forth on the shoe issue. I have had nights where articles of clothing were magically going missing on me and my friends throughout the night. But she spent most of the night without shoes walking many places and seeing many people and still remained shoe-less? A local said it isn't uncommon to see drunk people without shoes walking around the area though.
I just would think one of the many friends who saw her would get her some damn shoes.

I don't think there has ever been any report that she was or was not without shoes after returning from the bar. Just that she walked from the bar to SW without them. Someone could easily have lent her some flip flops or something.

I didn't think the shoe thing was such a big deal, until I saw the path from SW, thru back alley, and then along sidewalk outside 5 North. There is NO WAY that someone could walk that path w/o getting some abrasions and punctures on their feet (unless they spent a long life walking on hot coals.) Especially the entire alley. I wouldn't be surprised now if the rumored sighting of a man with LS slung over his shoulder was true. The rocks and glass hurt under my durable rubber flip flops. Or, like you said bloom54, someone lent her shoes. It would be easier to walk across a gravel driveway, than these jagged broken rocks and glass.

I would also like to know if the landfill in question is for the private trash collection in the area, or the City of Bloomington as well. Sorry if this has been answered already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste