IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.lohud.com/article/201305...s-missing-Edgemont-woman-s-parents-harassment

"Lauren Spierer: Corey Rossman accuses missing Edgemont woman's parents of harassment"

“It’s inappropriate the way they’re harassing people that are also victims in this case,” Corey Rossman told The Journal News Thursday, talking publicly for the first time since Spierer disappeared nearly two years ago. “We’ve done nothing wrong. If we’d done something wrong, we would have been arrested already. All they’re doing is hurting my career.”

Rossman also seemed to distance himself from his own lawyer Carl Salzmann’s statement that he had no memory of his final moments with Spierer.

“I never said that,” he told the paper. “You’re taking statements that were said by my lawyer. I never said I did or didn’t.”

Read the rest at the link above.

CS and RS and their PIs have never spoken to CR. How can they be harassing him? They had an appointment to meet with his lawyer in October 2011, but the lawyer did not show up.

CS and RS and their PIs have never spoken to CR. How can they be harassing him? They had an appointment to meet with his lawyer in October 2011, but the lawyer did not show up.

CR is making it all about him. Shocker.

He speaks about his frustration with receiving attention for his involvement with LS that night. (We all know he has not been directly harassed by the Spierer's.. I am guessing that he is actually referring to the public attention he is receiving as a result of the Spierer's pleading for information). What is notably missing is the frustration he should feel at the lack of answers in LS's case.

He SHOULD be saying... "who can help us find out what happened to this girl? Someone please come forward!".

He should be saying... "I think of Lauren every day and regret that I was incapacitated and did not protect her".

He should be saying... "I am deeply sorry for the excruciating pain that the Spierer's feel and I want to do everything I can to help them.

He should be saying... "I will do anything I can to clear myself in the eyes of LE so that they may move forward and find the person responsible for Lauren's disappearance". (IF he were truly not involved).

But he is saying none of those things, he is turning himself into the victim, and using the public attention he is receiving to gain sympathy for himself. What a class act.

Hm, that Corey Rossman is a real charmer...

Within 10 days of Lauren's disappearance, he was already complaining that media coverage of her case was ruining his life

Confronted outside their apartment Sunday, Corey Rossman and Mike Beth denied their identities to Fox59 News, then complained that media coverage of the investigation was ruining their life. Rossman complained that while his vehicle was parked in a public parking that Fox59 News was violating his privacy and Beth threatened to call Bloomington police. Rossman then drove away.
http://web.archive.org/web/20120822...spierer-last-spotted-20110612,0,7227876.story

Then there was this email to the Indianapolis Monthly:

Rossman sends an e-mail to IM. “I do not normally talk to reporters at all because of the exact reason of the lies that are being spread about me in articles such as those which just came out past few days,” he writes. “If you have some way to prove my name wouldn’t be slandered and what I say actually gets across and I am not portrayed in the terrible light the lying slanderous people connected to this case have portrayed me in, then I’d consider talking to you. Otherwise I have nothing to say and you can refer all questions to my lawyer Carl Salzmann.”
http://www.indianapolismonthly.com/features/story.aspx?ID=1712477

And now CR is a victim who is being "harrassed" by the parents of a girl he dragged home unconscious the night she went missing...?

The Spierers asked one thing of the POI: to take an LE polygraph. If they have refused to cooperate with the investigation and are still known as POI because of that, well... they can change that themselves.

Instead of blaming the media, the Spierers and your own lawyer, why not take a good look at yourself, Corey?

JMO

What is notably missing is the frustration he should feel at the lack of answers in LS's case.

He SHOULD be saying... "who can help us find out what happened to this girl? Someone please come forward!".

He should be saying... "I think of Lauren every day and regret that I was incapacitated and did not protect her".

He should be saying... "I am deeply sorry for the excruciating pain that the Spierer's feel and I want to do everything I can to help them.

He should be saying... "I will do anything I can to clear myself in the eyes of LE so that they may move forward and find the person responsible for Lauren's disappearance". (IF he were truly not involved).

But he is saying none of those things, he is turning himself into the victim, and using the public attention he is receiving to gain sympathy for himself. What a class act.

Ahh, you said this so much better than I could have. Thank you.

Interesting that CR would talk to the media now. I wonder if there was a trigger event? I am sure he has been being badgered for a while now. Why talk now? Just enough is enough...or something else?

Interesting that CR would talk to the media now. I wonder if there was a trigger event? I am sure he has been being badgered for a while now. Why talk now? Just enough is enough...or something else?
My guess would be heightened attention with the recent graduation and the 2 year anniversary coming up.

Did I miss something? Has CR recently spoken to the media?

Sounds like the pressure and scrutiny are really getting to Corey.

I like that. Maybe he is realizing that this won't just go away.

Maybe he will crack.
----------------------------------

Also, I noted in the article he seems to speak defensively not only for himself but for JR and MB as well by saying "we", etc. It seems as though many times when people are involved in a crime together, eventually the friendship no longer remains due to pressure/stress or bitter feelings about the incident... this is when one often flips on the other. The two girls charged with murdering Skylar Neese are an example I am thinking of. I do not know if CR, JR, and MB remain close or friendly at all but CR does seem to be maintaining goodwill toward them in continuing to have their back regarding Lauren's case.

I sometimes view CR as JR's pawn. He went out of his way to include "we" terms, implying JR & MB. Is he afraid of JR? He really didn't need to mention the others at all in the article. In fact, it would benefit him if the suspicion for Lauren's disappearance focused on JR. If they are all "in this" together, I definitely see JR as the ring leader.

All just my own opinion!

Yes, this makes a great deal of sense... that Lauren never made it to JR's from CR/MB's. It's also debatable whether she even made it up to CR/MB's.

To support this idea... I remember some very early accounts that were discussed when MB's statements were first in the news. There were references to MB calling JR and JR coming over to CR/MB's and that "others" were present. The statements that she wanted to party, and went to JR's emerged later and those accounts were different.... it wasn't clear if JR came and got her or if MB brought her or she went on her own. The confusion around that and multiple conflicting stories is one of the things that caused me to focus on this 3:30ish time.

Why would MB call JR at 3:30 am? If LS were conscious and wanted to go there, MB would not need to call. If LS wanted to call first, then why not borrow CR or MB's phone and call herself? If she were not capable of making a call (which seems to be the case), then what would have been discussed? Minutes earlier her condition is dire... minutes afterwards supposedly over at JR's she can't tell an ipod from a phone. But no matter which version of MB's statements you go by she seems in good shape... it doesn't fit!

People also seem to be forgetting that MB made it very clear that CR was in bad shape and needed to be put to bed. But the videos and other witness accounts indicate that it was LS that was in far worse shape than CR.
If CR needed to go to bed then what did LS need?

So, I agree it's very plausible that it all went down at CR/MB's.
Except maybe her actual death, even if she were there deceased a few minutes dogs should be able to pick that up. But then it's not clear if the right dogs were ever brought in for that.

VeryVeritas, can you provide a link to these accounts about MB calling JR and JR coming over to CR/MB's apartment? I never knew that!

Quite the piece of work here, this guy, ugh.

You cannot state you have no memory of events and that your friends did nothing wrong, so by making the 2nd statement you're implicitly stating that you do have memory of your night.

A version of this has been posted here before, and may have some element of truth to it, but directly from the mouth of a POI it just comes off like a mantra that he keeps telling himself.

CR is making it all about him. Shocker.

He speaks about his frustration with receiving attention for his involvement with LS that night. (We all know he has not been directly harassed by the Spierer's.. I am guessing that he is actually referring to the public attention he is receiving as a result of the Spierer's pleading for information). What is notably missing is the frustration he should feel at the lack of answers in LS's case.

Exactly. In my mind, this article indicates why LS hasn't been found yet. CR can't find his moral compass to simply do the right thing because maybe he doesn't have one. He clearly thinks he and the other POI's are the victims, and instead of feeling compassion for LS they probably resent her. Ugh, so wrong.

The only positive thing from this article is that he confirmed to the world what a heartless narcissist he is, which will hopefully encourage the media to keep pouring salt into the wound of his "victimized life", as well as the lives of the other POI's...Maybe he, or another POI will crack and say something in the heat of the moment. Something small can be something big...

A couple more thoughts:

1: CR basically said his attorney was lying/that he didn't support what his attorney said. I feel like that's pretty big statement to make.....AKA I wouldn't be surprised if they parted ways.

2: I hope he gets fired. He essentially did drag his work into the mess that is his personal life, and showed what a horrible lack of character he has. HIS actions have hurt his career, and I'm sure this article is only going to make it worse. Oh, how I would love to work in HR at whatever company he works for.

3: I'm going to borrow a few words from RS in regards to CR's claim that he and his friends have done nothing wrong- "that's almost laughable".

While not originally from here, I graduated from IU about 10 years ago and continue to live here. Lauren’s story hit me hard because, well, it could have been me or any one of my girlfriends. I had blackouts while still functioning, so did all of my friends. Waking up wondering, how the hell did I get here and what happened last night, where are my shoes, where is my phone? There were, embarrassingly, plenty of nights when we or I kept partying, fell down, got injured/bruised, and still kept going. The things we did back then, sooo unsafe. But we were young, partying, and feeling invincible. I share this embarrassment here because a theme has developed regarding LS’s state that night and what she could/couldn’t have done. I find it believable that she was still on her feet and functioning, even after taking several falls/hits to the head.

I stalk this story because I know without a doubt, that not for dumb luck, there would have gone me or one of my friends. And that, IMO, is really what it was, luck. LS was unlucky that night. As HT said, she just went too far that night. The stars un-aligned, and instead of the 99.9% of the time that she would have made it somewhere to sleep it off, she didn’t and she paid the price with her life.

So, is it really plausible that we have 2 or 3 or 4 college guys that we are guessing conspired to get rid of Lauren’s body?
I don’t think so, and here is why:
I find it unlikely that all of these guys are sociopaths, with no feelings, empathy, manners, etc. I find it even more unlikely that ALL of their parents are sociopaths. I mean, really, what are the chances? Some of these guys have sister’s right? Pretty hard partying sisters, this could have been them.
One of them would have broken down to someone. These are not hardened criminals, in some criminal gang, they are spoiled brats and mamma’s boys. They each separately have the means to protect themselves, high priced lawyers for a plea or immunity. I don’t believe that some master criminal plan was developed and carried out these boys, at least 2 of which had been heavily drinking and doing drugs, at 4am Friday morning. Did they put her in a bag, and each put a piece of clothing with DNA in with her so that if she was found they would each be culpable, to stop one of them from talking? It took me (almost) 2 years to come up with that. They thought of it in an instant that morning, drunk and high? To save themselves, keep each other from talking, ensuring evidence would point to all of them, all because she OD’d? I don‘t think so.

I had a group of 3 guy friends in college (same ilk as our POIs) who were doing something illegal, not drugs (although they did that too) and nothing like the LS tragedy, but illegal none the less. Cops got a whiff of them and brought them all in for questioning. They got their stories all straight, threatened each other, etc. The one I would have expected to break didn’t, but one of them did. I think it took about 15 minutes.

And let’s pretend that did happen, a pact. Not one of them tells someone with a conscience, who in turn calls in a tip? They all drink and do drugs, right? And none of them, since that night, have gotten f’ed up enough to spill the beans? Again, I don’t think so. Drunk people talk, a lot. Guilty drunk people talk more.

But one guy in the group being guilty, that is a different story. His parents probably suspect.

I believe CR blacked out and was put to bed. I believe MB took her to JR. I believe JR watched her walk away.

I believe that MB or DB or JW or Unknown was hanging outside the apartments, or on a deck, smoking maybe, and saw LS leave and decided to catch up with her. MB is my top, but that is just MY OPINION, and really no more than my gut feeling, based on the reported changing stories and http://mbbeth.wordpress.com/. I think the unsub (thank you criminal minds) offered to walk her home, look for her stuff, drink some more with her, etc., and then took advantage of the situation. And then, the unimaginable happened, and LS passed out and/or died. I don’t think the amount of construction going on in that immediate area at the time with no cameras can be highlighted enough.

I believe CR may know that MB has ‘weird’ tendencies. Again, while I think he blacked out, he has an ‘idea’ of what might have happened that includes his roommate and that is why he is lashing out now.

MB, it appears, is back working for his father as a ’clerk’ for his firm. He was previously an intern. He had a different job for 8 months after graduating, what happened? Shouldn’t he have at least stayed a year? If he is being groomed, wouldn’t he have a higher position now that he is graduated? I think his emotional problems escalated, and he can’t hold down a job, and dad bailed him out. All conjecture, I know.

By the way I don’t see some local and/or college coke dealer getting him/herself involved in this either. And, surprising myself, I think if a dealer did have some knowledge, i.e. received a call or heard something, that dealer would call in a tip. The type that would be dealing to this crowd, in my experience, generally consider themselves moral people. And/or despise the college/elitist guys they are dealing to, and would take the opportunity to get them in trouble.

UGH

Poke Away

I believe CR may know that MB has ‘weird’ tendencies. Again, while I think he blacked out, he has an ‘idea’ of what might have happened that includes his roommate and that is why he is lashing out now.

MB, it appears, is back working for his father as a ’clerk’ for his firm. He was previously an intern. He had a different job for 8 months after graduating, what happened? Shouldn’t he have at least stayed a year? If he is being groomed, wouldn’t he have a higher position now that he is graduated? I think his emotional problems escalated, and he can’t hold down a job, and dad bailed him out. All conjecture, I know.

Per the article released today about CR talking to the media for the first time, it has become clearer than ever that all CR cares about is CR- he's the victim, he didn't do anything, etc. That leads me to believe if he truly was not somehow involved with LS's disappearance (which I don't believe for a second) that he would have no problem pointing the finger at one of the other boys. They're his friends? So what, that doesn't mean anything. CR only cares about CR.

What you said about MB definitely got my attention. I really feel like he's somebody who could easily be cracked, as he has provided inconsistent stories about what happened time and time again. What exactly do you mean by "weird tendencies?" Are there any exact examples of instances that occurred, or is this speculation towards him being a bit on the creepy side, AKA somebody with motive to take advantage of and harm LS?

After reading Corey's words in the Lohud article today I can see why his parents hired Salzman so quickly. When the kid opens his mouth it's a trainwreck. He has had two years to mentally "prepare" a response to someone inquiring about Lauren's disappearance. And this is what he came up with? "Me, me, me?" He certainly DOES need an attorney.
-------------------

Wondering Aloud, welcome to WS!! I find your thoughts about MB interesting. I have always been curious to know a bit more about him. Despite all 3 men being POI's, it seems that the heaviest of scrutiny has fallen on CR and JR. Likely because they seem to have the most intimate interaction with her right before she vanished. But I would be interested in learning much more about MB.
--------------------

After putting some more thought into CR's statement that he "Didn't say" he didn't remember the events of that evening, but he also "didn't say" that he did... I am going to conclude (personally) that he does have memories of that night, however foggy.

My reasoning is this: He is clear to point out that Salzman was the one to state that CR has no recollection and that CR apparently has been careful not to utter these words himself. Perhaps so as not to officially "lie" to police himself? I think CR basically tells us that he is going along with using his head injury as an excuse because that is the angle Salzman took. This way, CR can continue to avoid detailed questions about the end of the night's events.

Why on earth would you say "I never said I didn't, but I never said I did" when the memory issue is brought up? There is no reason you would not just confirm your attorney's statement that you suffered from amnesia-- unless it is NOT true. And is he trying to keep the possibility open that he does have some memories... in case he decides to talk?

I personally find it significant that CR chose to emphasize that he has neither confirmed nor denied the amnesia story in his own words.
-----------------

Also.. I like Wondering Aloud's notion that even if CR's memory is spotty, that doesn't mean he doesn't know the truth of what happened. Imagine it was you. You are missing memories from the night before, but you know the girl you were with all night has vanished and yourself along with your two friends were the last people to be with her. You would not just say "Welp, I don't remember much, oh well. Moving on." Most people would be questioning their friend's intensely-- "What happened?", "Did something happen to her?", "What did you guys do??". And I would imagine that if your friends refused to give you straight answers, most normal people would go to the police. "Hey LE, I was with these guys and I lost my memory but I will tell you everything I know. They are hiding something."

I imagine that even if CR's memory is indeed spotty, he still knows what happened via the other players.

Sorry for such a long post, y'all!
All is just my opinion.

What a disgusting man. Or, little boy actually. All her parents seem to have wanted is to talk to him and have him fully cooperate with LE. He refused. I do not believe for ONE SECOND they canceled multiple appointments to speak with him. However, I suppose his lawyer may have told him that.
Then, everything is about him-it sounds like he just wants Lauren swept under the rug and forgotten. I mean, it happened a whole two years ago right??? How dare people still be talking about it!
I also love how he basically shoots his own defense in the foot. They have been selling the "I have no memory of the night I blacked out!" line for TWO YEARS and it has actually worked in his favor and now he is backing off that? Maybe he does need a lawyer.

I am still not entirely sure what I think happened, but I do go back and forth on whether if more than one of them is involved would they all have remained quiet and not flipped. JR and CR to me have shown insane amounts of cruelty and lack of human emotion so I guess in my head I am thinking it is possible they wouldn't break down and tell the truth. I also think jail is a powerful motivator to shut up especially if there isn't an underlying moral code of some sort or fear of God in someone. Like, let's say they genuinely felt like something was an accident and Lauren somehow died and then also felt like if they told the truth it would be life in jail. Can I say for certain they would not choose to cover it up rather than turn themselves into life in jail? I can't. A few other users here have also related similar tales-I remember one in particular about a woman accidentally being shot during a party. I wonder if I could find that one again-I will search.

Anyway, I still oscillate between theories. I think it could be Wondering Aloud's theory (one person related to that friend group who did it). I also think it could be 2 or 3 of them involved somehow in one way or another. Of course, it could also be someone completely unrelated.

I am mostly having issues because I just do not genuinely believe that she was unconscious being carried at one point and then not long after having full conversations and walking home seeming fine. In my heart of hearts, I just do not see Lauren walking away from their apartments that night.

It has been a rough websleuths day for me so sorry if the above is a bit scattered or more emotional than usual.

VeryVeritas, can you provide a link to these accounts about MB calling JR and JR coming over to CR/MB's apartment? I never knew that!

hi... I distinctly remember that the first set of reports left out entirely that LS supposedly first went to CR/MB's. The second wave of reports started to include other people. I checked some links and they are gone.
Spent a lot of time going back and reading early posts to find some examples... but running low on time today. There are some beginning conversations about this with links posted (some work, some do not) on the very first #1 LS thread, look at pages 17 onwards. There are references to "several" people corroborating CR's story. There are references to JR and a "second Male" who saw LS going down 11th... About on page 21 there is a post referencing the second male as having the last name initial of "B".

I am certain that there were posts with links that said something about JR and others coming over or being present at CR/MB's. But later MB's lawyer made a statement that LS went to JR's not giving details of how she got there. There have been statements attributed to MB that he walked her over to JR's and others that made it sound like she went there on her own.

I also remember in early statements attributed to MB that indicated he was not alone when CR and LS apparently arrived. He was supposedly studying and had a beer, but again "others" were present.

There did seem to be a lot of confusion in the beginning that CR and JR were 2 different people but later it was established that they lived in the Same building and "were good friends".

It was also very interesting going back and reading some of those early posts because you can clearly see the misinformation that was going on at the time. For example, it was repeated many times that Lauren was helping CR back to 5N. I even remember repeating that and having many questions. It's not clear where that *idea* orignated. Because now we know it was quite wrong. She was barely able to walk and kept falling and was not helping CR at all. This gave us an a perplexing image of CR as being way more gone than LS as though he were the victim. Instead he was quite capable of walking and never fell down on video nor did anyone see him fall down. Even after being punched a single time in the face... he did not fall down. However LS was slipping down in the Elevator and no one punched her. There were also a mass of posts about how the fight was about how CR was being aggressive and wouldn't leave LS alone. Also, another heavily repeated claim without any basis. No one came to assist LS or help her "get away" from CR. The punch was about something else, not concern for LS.

There were also statements that LS helped MB put CR to bed.
And some posts made it sound like she had been lying there in in bed with CR but then got up to leave. There were quite a few discussions about MB trying to stop her from leaving and trying to convince her to stay.
This gave rise to 2 things. 1) the idea of some sort of rape was involved... and 2) conflicts with accounts put forth by MB's lawyer that LS wanted to continue to party and went to JR's. Oddly also attributed to MB was that HE saw LS walk down 11th to round the corner... and then later JR makes the same statement. Some of these discrepancies could be explained by inaccuracies of reporters, but not all of them.

If you have a lot of time on your hands, start reading from Thread #1 to the present, there is a ton of information on these 29 threads.

I have always been curious about the "others" that have been mentioned as being present in the two 5N apartments of interest on the night of LS's disappearance.

I feel that it is probably true. But, how closely involved in the situation could these people possibly have been if JR, CR, and MB all remain suspects in the disappearance? It does not seem as though the presence of other individuals provided any type of alibi or a strong story corroboration for the three young men in the spotlight. Not enough to clear them, anyway.

We've discussed the idea of these individuals perhaps being in other rooms of these apartments, perhaps in the hallways of the building, or their observations being diminished due to intoxication.

Just thinkin'....

Sorry for such frequent posts today. I have been thinking about Lauren SO much with the anniversary coming up. My husband will be back in town tomorrow, perhaps I will be able to stay off of WS for more than 10 minutes at a time! ;)

Rossman also seemed to distance himself from his lawyer Carl Salzmann’s statement that he had no memory of his final moments with Spierer.

“I never said that,” Rossman told the newspaper. “You’re taking statements that were said by my lawyer. I never said I did or didn’t.”

I think we need to be careful of what is made of that statement. We're not hearing the actual question the reporter posed to CR.

The question might've tied the memory loss to the punch (as the atty did) and CR might simply be saying he never claimed the punch caused any memory loss. "I never said I did or didn't" doesn't really tell us anything except he himself hasn't spoken publicly one way or the other. The bigger question is what did he tell police? And secondly, how did it check out?

But regardless of that it also goes to show that you can't parse an attorney's words too closely as if you're hearing directly (and accurately) from the client. It just doesn't work that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuLuWooWoo