IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #30

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is the Spierer Complaint within the 2 year time limit? The actions complained of took place on June 3, 2011 and the Complaint appears to have been filed on June 20, 2013.

How is the Spierer Complaint within the 2 year time limit? The actions complained of took place on June 3, 2011 and the Complaint appears to have been filed on June 20, 2013.

The complaint was filed May 31, 2013 and moved to Federal Court on June 20, 2013.

The complaint was filed May 31, 2013 and moved to Federal Court on June 20, 2013.

Thank you. That's a relief. It would be awful to lose the potential info gathering that this civil suit may provide due to some statute of limitation violation. I really hope this brings the POIs to the table.

Lauren's parents have done the right thing by filing this suit. The 5N boys will now have to answer their questions in depositions.
My suspicions have now turned to her boyfriend.

You were so hardcore JR then CR and now that the lawsuit is filed you're JW? Explain please

Lauren's parents have done the right thing by filing this suit. The 5N boys will now have to answer their questions in depositions.
My suspicions have now turned to her boyfriend.

And if their answers to those questions are "I don't recall" we're nowhere.

"At approximately 3:30 a.m on or about June 3, 2011, Beth, a victim of a previous crime at his residence, returned to his residence after being at Rosenbaum's residence, and became alarmed when he witnessed what he believed might be burglars at his residence"

There are two things that stood out to me in this quote. First, what was going on in the apt that made him think there would be burglars? He heard voices but saw no one? The place was trashed like someone was looking for something? Would like to know the answer to this one. Second, I thought MB was home working on his paper. I thought he was home when CR and LS arrived. Now we find out he was at JR's. The last time LS was seen on video was around 2:51. So if they made it to CR's around 3:00 and MB didn't come home until 3:30, what went on for half an hour at CR's?

MB saw Lauren two times that night. The first time was when CR and Lauren stopped by his apt before going to Kilroys. This would be when MB was working on his paper. The second time would be after CR and Lauren return from Smallwood.

Sounds like Beth is ratting out CR. From the LOHUD article:

The lawsuit stated that she attended a party at Rosenbaum’s condo that night and already appeared intoxicated. She and Rossman left together and stopped two doors away at his place, where Beth was present.

“Beth observed that Spierer was extremely intoxicated and witnessed Rossman encourage Spierer to join him at Kilroy’s Sports Bar,” the suit states, and claims that Rossman told Beth that “I want to have 3 more drinks at the bar and then I’ll be feeling good.”

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013306260093

And if their answers to those questions are "I don't recall" we're nowhere.

This was the Spierer's last chance to get these guys to talk before being potentially time barred. Her family deserves to know what happened. Last chance!

I wondered if maybe the door was open or unlocked. And if it was that it was unlocked but not open, or possibly that he saw a light on inside, then that would tell me he didn't expect CR to be there that night. So that could mean he knew CR planned to go to LS' apartment after Kilroy's and was surprised to find him there (or at least that he was planning to be somewhere other than the apt). EDIT- Which is all just a WAG and speculation... Technically this part about him leaving JR's and returning to his apartment and thinking there might be a burglary is what the family is alleging in the lawsuit and not necessarily what MB and the others have claimed. We don't know whether that is the actual statement given or something they believe is the real story based on some witness or other evidence we don't know about. It's not necessarily fact but it seems odd to make a point of something like that without it being based on MB's own statement.

I still don't like the SW confrontation in all of this. It's allegedly about her condition and CR should take her home... if so then what were they (LS and CR) doing at SW if not to go to her place? And how could they possibly know he wasn't taking her home?
What if the purpose of the SW confrontation was to prevent CR and LS from entering her apartment? I still find it strange that ZO et al. would let LS leave with CR if they believed his intentions were not honorable.

You make a good point. Perhaps they thought CR lived at SW and when they left it would be to take LS home.

You could add they feared not only PI but a contributing to a minor charge.

BTW... In another post I mentioned the family wanting LE evidence. After some thought it struck me that since the family is saying JR made the 2 calls-. Assuming the earlier reports were correct and JR claimed LS made those calls then IF LE checked his phone for prints I'd think his attorney might like to see if her prints were on that phone. So IOW it might not be the family that's the only one wanting to see what LE has in their files and evidence room.

if her prints were there, it proves, hopefully, that MB was at least telling the truth, maybe. At least about the first part. As we discussed, she could have doubled back.
but, with this lawsuit, they will be deposed by the Spiers' attorney, and when the heat gets turned up, it will possibly route any stragglers in this case who were there at JRs, or afraid that they will be said to be there
at some time that night and possibly be worried about drug implications so
people might come forward and surprise everyone. fingers crossed.

MB appears to have retained Greg Garrison from Indy, best known for his current WIBC radio program and successful prosecution of Mike Tyson in 1992. I'd consider that a legal "upgrade" in both reputation and cost.

CR now represented by Richard Skiles per Lohud article

known Garrison for years, usually doesn't represent the guilties.

The lawsuit states that the three men, then students of the university, “owed Spierer a duty of care” and that their actions “breached that duty.”

This is what I was anticipating, and based on some other cases I've read about, I think they have a very strong case.

MB appears to have retained Greg Garrison from Indy, best known for his current WIBC radio program and successful prosecution of Mike Tyson in 1992. I'd consider that a legal "upgrade" in both reputation and cost.

CR now represented by Richard Skiles per Lohud article BBM

Interesting choice of lawyer -- At least he already knows some of Voyles' tricks, if the boys are no longer a united front. *fingers crossed*

(I'm still holding out hope for MB. I think he could be the one person to take responsibility for his role and move forward. And really, I don't know why he'd go down with these guys, if the story is what it sounds like. )

Maybe this question is naive or dumb-

Wouldn't LE have questioned ALL the people in the various apartments, some of the other people at Kilroy's, neighbors that might have heard something, etc?* I am talking about people other that the main PsOI that are constantly talked about here. So I am not sure what new information this lawsuit will uncover-- unless someone gets spooked and talks.

*On some other case I read, LE had questioned hundreds of people over a crime. I think it was something over 300 people.

I think Rob & Charlene have the same thought as some of us here. They're not out to skewer MB, so long as he flips and tells the truth.

THat's the feeling I am getting, at least.

I hope it works.

MOO.

This question is for Btown. I went back and looked at the pictures you posted (thanks for posting). In the picture at the corner of 11th and Morton (where the white truck is in front) and where the boys lived, there appears ro be only one balcony. Since JR stated he went out on the balcony to watch LS round the corner, I take it this is his apt. All reports have stated that CR lived two doors down. That means LS would have to pass by CR/MB apt to reach the corner. Some posters have questioned if LS might have doubled back to their apt. Looks like she might have stopped there again, if she left JR's apt.

This question is for Btown. I went back and looked at the pictures you posted (thanks for posting). In the picture at the corner of 11th and Morton (where the white truck is in front) and where the boys lived, there appears ro be only one balcony. Since JR stated he went out on the balcony to watch LS round the corner, I take it this is his apt. All reports have stated that CR lived two doors down. That means LS would have to pass by CR/MB apt to reach the corner. Some posters have questioned if LS might have doubled back to their apt. Looks like she might have stopped there again, if she left JR's apt.

Wow. Yes, you're right and I think Keylime has posed this possibility several times before. I got turned around when this idea was discussed. And I've even been in front of their doors a few times.

Yes, JR's apt is on the end of the 5N building. His is farthest from the corner that she allegedly walked to. In his story, JR has her walking past CR's apartment.

This question is for Btown. I went back and looked at the pictures you posted (thanks for posting). In the picture at the corner of 11th and Morton (where the white truck is in front) and where the boys lived, there appears ro be only one balcony. Since JR stated he went out on the balcony to watch LS round the corner, I take it this is his apt.

Yes, its my understanding that was his apartment.

All reports have stated that CR lived two doors down. That means LS would have to pass by CR/MB apt to reach the corner.

If JR's statement that Lauren left his apartment and headed East toward 11th and College St. is accurate, yes, she would have to pass by CR/MB apt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18