IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
from akh:

"Point being, right now the official narrative is mush."

really, that is what I was trying to say with the ZC/bar witness/timeline thing.

I've never seen so much to-do over ten minutes. OK it was a mistake lets get on with it......

The problem is, Capt. Qualters said in a press conference that LE made the mistake; and SC says he made the mistake as a typo.

Were there two mistakes that had Lauren sighted after 2:52?Both within 15 min after 3 am? If so, then LE made that mistake, SC made that mistake, and then, 10 minutes later, at
3:38, the eyewitness also makes a similar mistake?

Or is it just that after 2:52, when Lauren was last seen on video, she went somewhere other than 5N?

and those are just the mistakes admitted to.

I have not followed this case closely. But isn't it possible/ probably more likely that someone totally unknown by Lauren - most likely a sex offender- picked Lauren up as she walked alone from the last boy's apartment? I'm thinking her life ended similarly to Hannah Graham's and Mickey Shunicks and the young lady's that left the Metallica concert alone after she was separated from her friends. I'm thinking she was assaulted then murdered and that her friends really don't know anything. Their stories might be all over the place due to their intoxication. It's hard to remember times and certain events about a night spent in such a manner as theirs. Drugs and drinking make time pass quickly and thoughts are incoherent and don't make sense. I wouldn't expect much that night to make sense as it seems they were drunk and on drugs walking aimlessly from place to place.

Again, I haven't followed closely. Just jumping in here, so please forgive me if I'm totally off base.

I'm assuming they've checked into sex offenders in the area??

I have not followed this case closely. But isn't it possible/ probably more likely that someone totally unknown by Lauren - most likely a sex offender- picked Lauren up as she walked alone from the last boy's apartment? I'm thinking her life ended similarly to Hannah Graham's and Mickey Shunicks and the young lady's that left the Metallica concert alone after she was separated from her friends. I'm thinking she was assaulted then murdered and that her friends really don't know anything. Their stories might be all over the place due to their intoxication. It's hard to remember times and certain events about a night spent in such a manner as theirs. Drugs and drinking make time pass quickly and thoughts are incoherent and don't make sense. I wouldn't expect much that night to make sense as it seems they were drunk and on drugs walking aimlessly from place to place.

Again, I haven't followed closely. Just jumping in here, so please forgive me if I'm totally off base.

Yes, a team of U.S Marshals came to Bloomington and checked out all the registered sex offenders in the area. Here is a link to an early article that mentions that part of the investigation. http://abcnews.go.com/US/lauren-spierer-update-mothers-plea-press-conferences/story?id=13824266

Yes, a team of U.S Marshals came to Bloomington and checked out all the registered sex offenders in the area. Here is a link to an early article that mentions that part of the investigation. http://abcnews.go.com/US/lauren-spierer-update-mothers-plea-press-conferences/story?id=13824266

Thank you. I figured they had checked them all, but just wanted to be sure. Still though there could be one that isn't yet registered- like Jesse Lee Matthews. Raping and murdering, but not yet caught. Well, Jesse is caught now, but you know what I mean.

I have followed Lauren's case from the beginning and this is exactly what I think happened. The dogs followed her scent into the parking lot near the apt and then lost it. LE was checking vehicles in the area at that time. I think she in the wrong place at the wrong time and was picked up by someone who did her harm.

I have followed Lauren's case from the beginning and this is exactly what I think happened. The dogs followed her scent into the parking lot near the apt and then lost it. LE was checking vehicles in the area at that time. I think she in the wrong place at the wrong time and was picked up by someone who did her harm.

Gosh I wish girls wouldn't walk alone. I'm not faulting her. We were all young and thought we were invincible once. Also, you are more likely to walk alone when intoxicated- which it sounds like she was. But many of these girls would still be with us today if they wouldn't have walked alone :(

Again, NOT blaming the victim- just a reminder to preach preach preach to your daughters. Preach to your sons too- to not let their female friends walk alone. I know an intoxicated woman can be hard to control, but it's still something to preach.

The dogs followed her scent into the parking lot near the apt and then lost it.

Was this talked about in any news article or police statement? I've searched around a bit but can't find anything. I've never seen that detail discussed before in this case.

Gosh I wish girls wouldn't walk alone. I'm not faulting her. We were all young and thought we were invincible once. Also, you are more likely to walk alone when intoxicated- which it sounds like she was. But many of these girls would still be with us today if they wouldn't have walked alone :(

Again, NOT blaming the victim- just a reminder to preach preach preach to your daughters. Preach to your sons too- to not let their female friends walk alone. I know an intoxicated woman can be hard to control, but it's still something to preach.

Considering how many cases involve people disappearing or dying due to actions by friends/family, I'm not sure if people are safer being with people they know. It might be 50/50. Many cases are so subtle that it can't be proven if it was a friend or a stranger who caused someone to die or disappear. Lauren's case is just like that it seems to me.

Considering how many cases involve people disappearing or dying due to actions by friends/family, I'm not sure if people are safer being with people they know. It might be 50/50. Many cases are so subtle that it can't be proven if it was a friend or a stranger who caused someone to die or disappear. Lauren's case is just like that it seems to me.

BBM at the time of her disappearance, and knowing the area well, I was sure it was a random abduction. I debated it in the early threads, but gradually, I changed my mind, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a RA.

And I think the reason for changing my mind is one Akh gave in the excellent surmisal upthread, LE never gave any warnings to the public, and not so with other cases.

The quote from Qualters saying her friends were puzzling, I mean here's a seasoned police captain and
he's puzzled by their uncooperation. He knows they are lying.

Sure, it could be just about the drugs and what would happen. If that was all it was, then a full confession of that might have cleared them in the very beginning.

But apparently, the death /disappearance of Lauren
wasn't important enough when weighed against their expectations of joining the ranks of their rich families and having a golden future.

So they are forever mired in the mudraking such actions will cause.

But yeah, there's several sex shops in that area and it could have been an abduction. And as I've said before,
young girls are walking home alone in that area at that time often, so a perp would just have to wait for one,
if it were random, I doubt if it was also unpremeditated.

Young men go missing too. I think anyone impaired
becomes vulnerable when they are alone. What these young people(mostly young, but everyone, really) need to realize is that when someone's intoxicated-drugs or alcohol-and alone, it's like they have a flashing beacon on the top of their head to ne.erdowells.

edited to add, obviously not everyone harmed is intoxicated. But if someone were looking for easy prey,
finding an intoxicated person alone would be it.

Was this talked about in any news article or police statement? I've searched around a bit but can't find anything. I've never seen that detail discussed before in this case.

I'll find a link. it might take a bit.

edit: the information did not come from LE. it came from a verified insider for Lauren whose name is Btown. thread #4 post 421.

the information came from local talk.

if you search thread 4 with the term "gravel lot scent dogs" there is a lot of discussion. also if you just google "Lauren spierer gravel lot scent" there is much discussion on the Internet.

thread #4 also has a lot of discussion regarding LE investigation of vehicles in Lauren's vicinity at the time of her disappearance.

As I recall, the information about the dogs is another example of a rumor that has been repeated so often that it became considered fact. There were MSM stories about dogs, but they only said that dogs were used. E.g. Dogs (cadaver dogs?) were brought in several weeks after her disappearance as part of search of apartments. We do not know what those dogs found or did not find. There was a strong rumor that the search dogs used right after she disappeared traced her to an area in the parking lot near the dumpster. This was a reason so many people were demanding a landfill search. There was also a story that privately used dogs (volunteer, hired by her parents?) traced her to JW's, but this rumor was discredited; its source was considered questionable and it could have been an old frequently-used scent trail.

Thank you. I figured they had checked them all, but just wanted to be sure. Still though there could be one that isn't yet registered- like Jesse Lee Matthews. Raping and murdering, but not yet caught. Well, Jesse is caught now, but you know what I mean.

Yes, I do. When DM was arrested in the death of Hannah Wilson, there was speculation that he might have been involved in the disappearance of LS. BPD investigated, but, as I recall, could not find evidence of his involvement.

And the 1977 disappearance of Margaret Ann Hayes, who was out late in Bloomington, o bought cigarettes four blocks from her home, then vanished, has never been solved. http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hayes_margaret.html

Yes, I do. When DM was arrested in the death of Hannah Wilson, there was speculation that he might have been involved in the disappearance of LS. BPD investigated, but, as I recall, could not find evidence of his involvement.

Other than initially saying they didn't have any connections at his arrest, which would've been at a point that you wouldn't have expected any connections to have been discovered yet, I don't know that LE has said anything further. I've not seen any additional updates on even the Wilson case, let alone any questions about the LS case and connections now that there's been time to investigate and develop leads.

There were statements made that there was no link between DM and Lauren's case, including by the private investigators.

There were statements made that there was no link between DM and Lauren's case, including by the private investigators.

Please point them out. I think you are confused but maybe I missed it. At the front of it there were comments that there were no known links at that time, but that would've been prior to any investigation. So, unless for some reason this guy was already on the radar, then there would not have been any initial connections to report until there were interviews and investigations. And any potential for people to come forward now that DM was in the spotlight.

The ABC (I believe he was working for ABC network. Certainly for a potential TV news show/series) investigator said something to the effect he doubted DM's involvement, but he would've had absolutely nothing on DM at that point because DM would've never been on his radar. He had been developing other leads and had his piece ready for air, or just aired, and so unless he'd found the smoking gun, I'm not sure how much his opinion could matter until he at least puts the same time and effort into DM (who would've been an entirely new angle to study at that point).

I don't recall the Spierer investigators saying anything on DM. But I don't really recall hearing from them in a couple of years now.

I could certainly be mistaken and forgetting or missed what you are referencing but I think you are putting facts into the case that aren't actually in the case by dismissing DM by saying LE/PI's have dismissed him.

Nope, not putting facts into the case. LE made a statement in June that there was no known link between DM and the Spierer case. The former FBI agent/ ABC guy said the same thing.

Obviously there hasn't been a break there, since there has been no more news. That doesn't prohibit there being something in the future, but he has not been named a person of interest in this case.

And the 1977 disappearance of Margaret Ann Hayes, who was out late in Bloomington, o bought cigarettes four blocks from her home, then vanished, has never been solved. http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hayes_margaret.html

So say our perp was 25 in 1977, that makes him 74 now. Not impossible at all.
Let's say you're a perp. Bloomington, even back then and maybe especially back then,
was the same place. Women out late, enjoying their freedom, thinking everything was cool but it never really is, totally cool. Not when someone has something evil in mind. In that case, the evil person will always be able to find a victim.

And this may sound weird, but it could be handed down generationally. For example, Daniel Messel's stepdad sure knew alot about his crush on Hannah Wilson. He didn't stop daniel from removing evidence from their abode...maybe even helped him, and then turned him in when it was obvious he would be caught?

Nope, not putting facts into the case. LE made a statement in June that there was no known link between DM and the Spierer case. The former FBI agent/ ABC guy said the same thing.

Obviously there hasn't been a break there, since there has been no more news. That doesn't prohibit there being something in the future, but he has not been named a person of interest in this case.

So IOW, it's what I said. At the time of his arrest they had nothing to connect him with LS. The PI's haven't commented. And a retired FBI agent acting as a TV investigator who claimed to have developed some leads (which, what are they?) had nothing on a man he'd more than likely never heard of until his arrest. Which gets us exactly nowhere to know if they've developed anything or found anything suspicious.

Do you have a reason/connection where you'd expect to know if DM was not officially elevated to be considered a POI in the LS case. AFAIK, LE has never actually named their complete PsOI list so a lot of who we here consider PsOI might never have been considered, or have long been cleared. All of this goes back to my earlier point (belief) that LE isn't all that interested in any public help with this case or they would've advanced the official narrative along the way. Corrected it. Added and subtracted from it. Cleared up confusion.

Unless they develop a case against DM in LS's disappearance and ready to bring charges, I'd be pretty surprised to learn anything at all one way or the other from LE about that case or any potential connections. Or anything else or any other developments in any direction short of an arrest. LE holds all the cards and they aren't talking.

Which all means, we in the public know almost nothing and sometimes worse than that. And much of what we think we know could be wrong. Even things we know and haven't been corrupted by faulty memories, speculation morphed into unsupported facts, etc. , things that was once part of the official narrative, could've been long explained and changed in LE's files and totally off the radar and we'd never know it.

So IMHO DM is just as viable about about any other theory right now because he'd certainly fit the profile for a random abductor operating in the area. It's wishful thinking to cross him off the list or consider him cleared by LE .... Because LE are not talking. They never cleared him. Maybe they would if asked but the press seems to have moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay