IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best-case scenario is that she just got angry or upset, and decided to take off on her own; but unfortunately considering this possibility could be taken as a slur against the victim. In other words, people might think less of her if she deliberately caused so much pain to her parents by voluntarily disappearing.

Therefore, we need to put the incident in context. We cannot assume that only a person who hated their parents would run away. At only 20, she could have been very upset by something, so upset that disappearing for a little while might seem the sensible thing to do.

If she hated her "friends" or college, she may have had good reason.

(The town seems to be less important in this case).

What about the money?

Maybe she joined some group, not necessarily a religious cult, but maybe some group that might encourage her to leave her college and join their community instead? Again, we are considering the case of a very young person, who may be idealistic.

It just doesn't fit her personality or anything we know about her. What you are suggesting is more akin to commiting suicide... sure a Well-off East Coast Jewish Fashion Design Student with a comfortable group of male friends and a bf, decides to abandon her shoes and phone while partying and then later just toss away her purse and keys... she could care less because she's about to take off at 4:30 am to join a group of Amish strolling down N. College with their horse and buggy that evades cameras on the way to their secret hideway farm.

Let me be clearer: no Latino, Asian, or black person's case has ever received this much attention. Not that this case doesn't deserve attention, but the Tamekas and Priyas of this world deserve just as many people on the lookout for them.

I'm not looking to start a fight here, so I'll try to hold my tongue from here onward.

Annie Le: Asian.
Rickie McCormick: African-American.
Imette St. Guillen: Latino & White.

These cases all got national attention.

The reason why some cases get a lot of attention can vary:
1. celebrity involvement (not my interest);
2. the feeling that one might be able to help through observations or detective work;
3. in studying the case, ways can be found to prevent similar tragedies.

Example of trying to help investigation: in RM's case, many people tried to decode his notes, which were found with his body in a field.

Another example of trying to help: People studied lab floor plans to see if AL could have left without being on camera.

Example of trying to prevent crime in future: the Imette St. Guillen case had a tremendous impact in that young people no longer go to NYC to party late at night in such great numbers. The public learned a huge amount about forensic science & cell phone technology from this trial.

A lot of hard work and good writing went into trying to help these nonwhite victim cases.

Criticizing people without offering them any positive suggestions is unfair. What specifically do you want us to do?

What kind of tip would lead them out there on a goose chase like that?
Seems shoddy to me.

What kind of tip would lead them out there on a goose chase like that?
Seems shoddy to me.

LE is going to get a lot of tips because people are looking and if they see anything even remotely suspicious they are going to phone it in. Just like those clothes found, that most likely have absolutely nothing to do with Lauren.

Comment section from HeraldTimes says they are searching next to Hill Top Motel, or someone else now says Hill View Motel.

There will probably be more false alarm searches, there always are in these cases and we always hope it is the one...

It just doesn't fit her personality or anything we know about her. What you are suggesting is more akin to commiting suicide... sure a Well-off East Coast Jewish Fashion Design Student with a comfortable group of male friends and a bf, decides to abandon her shoes and phone while partying and then later just toss away her purse and keys... she could care less because she's about to take off at 4:30 am to join a group of Amish strolling down N. College with their horse and buggy that evades cameras on the way to their secret hideway farm.

Not the Amish. But regarding that guy whom I mentioned whom I knew in college who joined a religious group against his parents wishes; he became a Hasid, and certain Hasidic groups are like the Amish in some ways.

BTW: Hasids occasionally recruit even non-Jews. They must convert, of course.

Not the Amish. But regarding that guy whom I mentioned whom I knew in college who joined a religious group against his parents wishes; he became a Hasid, and certain Hasidic groups are like the Amish in some ways.

BTW: Hasids occasionally recruit even non-Jews. They must convert, of course.

This girl was constantly on her cell phone from what her friends have said.
It's just extremely unlikely she would take off, especially under the circumstances of her disappearance. No shoes, no wallet, no keys, no cell phone, went missing during very early hours of the morning and after the night of partying. That doesn't sound like someone who plan to run away.

Police came to the area acting on a tip, reportedly from children who were riding ATVs in the area.

Bloomington Police have an evidence technician on the scene. Eyewitness News reporter Richard Essex says police have been digging in an area near SR 37.

Police stopped their search around 7 p.m. Sunday. Bloomington Police have yet to comment on what they learned from the search effort.

http://www.wthr.com/story/14936067/state-police-ert-aid-in-spierer-search

(Updated: Jun 19, 2011 7:28 PM)

This girl was constantly on her cell phone from what her friends have said.
It's just extremely unlikely she would take off, especially under the circumstances of her disappearance. No shoes, no wallet, no keys, no cell phone, went missing during very early hours of the morning and after the night of partying. That doesn't sound like someone who plan to run away.

To me this speaks to reason.

That was a quick fall from feeling hopeful that we were quickly heading towards closure..

Praying for Lauren's family...

Let me be clearer: no Latino, Asian, or black person's case has ever received this much attention. Not that this case doesn't deserve attention, but the Tamekas and Priyas of this world deserve just as many people on the lookout for them.

I'm not looking to start a fight here, so I'll try to hold my tongue from here onward.

I don't know why this has to come up every time there is a sensational missing person case.

I agree that LE should thoroughly investigate each case equally - but the public in general simply isn't interested in other cases besides beautiful blonde girls. You can't make people in the general public be interested in things they aren't interested in. The American public (mostly women) is fascinated by beautiful young blonde women who go missing in the US. That's the way it is.

And next time it happens, someone will comment again, and they'll be right. But you can't make people follow other cases if they don't want to.

Some people saying that the girl roommate deleted her facebook page or put it on invisible.
Could mean anything really, but that girl has always bothered me.

Speaking of facebook pages, you think the boyfriend could find a classier picture than one with his hand on LS's butt while she's holding an alcoholic beverage?? (she is under 21 after all)

Someone can alway start a thread in the Jury Room down below, about "Missing White Woman Syndrome" if they want to...

:banghead: All I wanted to know when I made my post is if anyone thought that the student who posted that on the IU website was involved. And now it's derailing this entire thread. I said I wasn't going to continue commenting about the issue, so here, for the last time, I'm going to illustrate it with a smiley :truce: Let's agree to disagree and get back to the topic at hand: who has LS and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauriedries23456!