IN - Mark Sandifur, charged with child molesting, Flora, 28 Aug 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Okay @FrostedGlass - now I have the date of arrest! Thanks!
animated-smileys-christmas-033.gif

Monday, December 27th:
*Bond Review Hearing (@ 10:30am CT) – IN – 13 year old (August, 19, 2019 & goes back a year, Flora) - *Mark Joe Sandifur (36/now 38) arrested & charged (8/21/19) with 3 counts Level 4 felony charges of child molesting & 1 count of Level 1 felony charge of child molesting. Plead not guilty. $100K Surety bond (10% cash). Bond posted by mother & released (9/13/19).
Warrant out for arrested (11/18/21) for violation of probation. Warrant for arrest served (11/23/21) & is in custody.
Trial was set to start on 7/26/21 (thru 7/28/21), but plead guilty on 5/18/21. Sentenced (6/2/21) to 4 years of probation.
Court info from 8/23/19 thru 11/18/21 reference post #772 here:
11/23/21 Update: Initial hearing re petition to revoke scheduled on 11/29/21 @ 9:30am & modification hearing on 1/14/22. 11/23/21: Warrant was served. 11/29/21 Update: Initial hearing re petition to revoke. Order on 1st & 2nd petition for revocation of probation. Evidentiary hearing is set for 1/14/22 @ 10:30am. Motion filed: Verified Motion to Reduce Bond filed by Sandifur. Order set for hearing on 12/21/21. Motion for continuance re bond hearing. Bond hearing motion for continuance-granted. Originally hearing on 12/21/21 is rescheduled to 12/27/21 @ 10:30am.

@FrostedGlass - just checking to see if his next hearing is the evidentiary hearing on 1/14/22 - and anything on his bond hearing that was continued.

TIA! :)

@Niner Update

01/03/2022 = Order Set for Hearing
Hearing continued to February 15, 2022 at 11:00AM, per form.
Judicial Officer: Diener, Benjamin A.

01/03/2022 = Hearing Scheduling Activity
Modification Hearing originally scheduled on 01/14/2022 at 10:30 AM was rescheduled to 02/15/2022 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Court's Own Motion.

02/15/2022 = Modification Hearing
Session: 01/14/2022 10:30 AM, Rescheduled
Session: 02/15/2022 11:00 AM, Judicial Officer: Diener, Benjamin A.

Tuesday, February 15th:
*Modification Hearing (@ 11am CT) – IN – 13 year old (August, 19, 2019 & goes back a year, Flora) - *Mark Joseph Edward Sandifur (36/now 38) arrested & charged (8/21/19) with 3 counts Level 4 felony charges of child molesting & 1 count of Level 1 felony charge of child molesting. Plead not guilty. $100K Surety bond (10% cash). Bond posted by mother & released (9/13/19).
Warrant out for arrested (11/18/21) for violation of probation. Warrant for arrest served (11/23/21) & is in custody.
Trial was set to start on 7/26/21 (thru 7/28/21), but plead guilty on 5/18/21. Sentenced (6/2/21) to 4 years of probation.
Court info from 8/23/19 thru 11/23/21 reference post #782 here:

11/29/21 Update: Initial hearing re petition to revoke. Order on 1st & 2nd petition for revocation of probation. Evidentiary hearing is set for 1/14/22 @ 10:30am. Motion filed: Verified Motion to Reduce Bond filed by Sandifur. Order set for hearing on 12/21/21. Motion for continuance re bond hearing. Bond hearing motion for continuance-granted. Originally hearing on 12/21/21 is rescheduled to 12/27/21 @ 10:30am.
1/3/22 Update: Modification hearing originally scheduled on 1/14/22 was rescheduled to 2/15/22 @ 11am.

Does anyone know what he did to put revocation of his 4 year probation on the docket?

I don't know - I'm very curious though!

As we know, commonly they will call to revoke probation for things like failing to check in with probation officers on the agreed-upon schedule, contacting individuals he was told to stay away from, or failing to complete or attend court-ordered programs related to violence, alcohol or drug abuse. The judge will have great discretion in deciding this.

@Niner
Update:
02/14/2022 = Motion for Continuance Filed
Motion to Continue Violation Probation Hearing
Filed By: Sandifur, Mark J.

02/15/2022 = Modification Hearing
Session: 02/15/2022 11:00 AM, Judicial Officer: Diener, Benjamin A.

Anyone know, did the court hearing happen as planned today or did he get another continuance? TIA
02/14/2022 = Motion for Continuance Filed
Motion to Continue Violation Probation Hearing
Filed By: Sandifur, Mark J.

02/15/2022 = Order Granting Motion for Continuance
Hearing continued to February 28, 2022 at 3:30PM, per form.

02/15/2022 = Hearing Scheduling Activity
Modification Hearing originally scheduled on 02/15/2022 at 11:00 AM was rescheduled to 02/28/2022 at 3:30 PM. Reason: By Request.

02/28/2022 = Modification Hearing
Session: 02/15/2022 11:00 AM, Rescheduled
Session: 02/28/2022 3:30 PM, Judicial Officer: Diener, Benjamin A.

So am I reading all this correctly...MS was re-arrested in late November and is still in custody? I'm not seeing anybody bonding him out this time?

Any inkling as to what he's did to violate his probation? TIA

So am I reading all this correctly...MS was re-arrested in late November and is still in custody? I'm not seeing anybody bonding him out this time?

Any inkling as to what he's did to violate his probation? TIA
Any answers are just guesses. As for his bond money, maybe they are still holding some of it and he needs it to pay legal fees. He was denied his request to move back to the family home; maybe he eventually went anyway?

This is just a general question for those with legal knowledge. Why do we always see so many motions for continuance in cases? Is that just asking for more time?

This is just a general question for those with legal knowledge. Why do we always see so many motions for continuance in cases? Is that just asking for more time?

It's one side (often the defense) asking for more time to get their stuff together. Often it's granted because the judge knows that the defense has just found out about new evidence or new charges. IMO

In this case, if what he did to violate probation was another crime, I think we would have also seen charges against him by now and they would be dealing with those charges simultaneous to the probation issue. (Like, if you're on probation for DUI and you commit another DUI, they don't just revoke your probation they also typically charge you with the new offense too.) Since we have only seen the motion to revoke probation, I think it's possible that he did something that, while a violation of his order, is not a crime in and of itself. As @FrostedGlass said, it could be something like living where he's not supposed to; it could also be having contact with someone he's not supposed to, not completing programs that the court has ordered.

The prosecution gets a chance to show evidence of how he didn't uphold the agreement and his attorney also gets a chance to refute it (the continuance in this case is so his attorney has time to gather any documents or evidence too). There will be no jury and the judge will decide.

Except that's a crime. Especially when the original crime was against minor children. To go back and live with the the minor children when ordered not to, that's serious, in my mind! The protection put in place by the courts was already a sorry excuse for protection. And then,even those boundaries were yet again crossed. There is a disregard for others and rules, here. His likelihood for criminal behavior and victimization of the children is extremely high, if he violated the court order. And sadly, the kids have learned that when you speak up, nothing happens and he comes back. So they likely won't tell again. He's where he should be, in my opinion.

Except that's a crime. Especially when the original crime was against minor children. To go back and live with the the minor children when ordered not to, that's serious, in my mind! The protection put in place by the courts was already a sorry excuse for protection. And then,even those boundaries were yet again crossed. There is a disregard for others and rules, here. His likelihood for criminal behavior and victimization of the children is extremely high, if he violated the court order. And sadly, the kids have learned that when you speak up, nothing happens and he comes back. So they likely won't tell again. He's where he should be, in my opinion.
It would be very disconcerting if he had contact with a minor against a protective order. His mother had bailed him out last time. Under his pleading guilty and being sentenced to probation, wouldn't she have gotten her money back? That's why I'm wondering if he's still in custody since November, it must have been something fairly egregious he did under probation?

Edit: Sorry didn't finish my thought...fairly egregious he did under probation to either not have a bond set yet or if it was set to not get bailed out yet.

Maybe I should have been more clear. No one here is saying that if he broke any part of his probation terms that it wasn't morally wrong, a violation of the agreement that was put into place that should be punished, criminal in the sense of putting children in danger, etc - all of that would be true. And if the prosecution can prove it, he should and will go back to jail. And yes, I would agree that he got away very easily for what he was originally accused of doing.

The point I was making is, since we can only speculate right now about what he did, we ask ourselves if it could be a whole new crime (against children, or others) or was it likely to be a violation of a probation rule that was not in and of itself a separate crime (other than going against the court order)? They haven't brought another actual, separate charge yet. If he, for example, stole from a store recently and they think they can prove it, they would probably have charged him with that already in addition to revoking probation. But if he stopped going to, say, alcohol treatment that was ordered, that is not a separate crime that he can receive a new charge for and he's just going to have to deal with the consequences of the probation violation piece of it. IMO

Monday, February 28th:
*Modification Hearing (@ 3:30pm CT) – IN – 13 year old (August, 19, 2019 & goes back a year, Flora) - *Mark Joseph Edward Sandifur (36/now 38) arrested & charged (8/21/19) with 3 counts Level 4 felony charges of child molesting & 1 count of Level 1 felony charge of child molesting. Plead not guilty. $100K Surety bond (10% cash). Bond posted by mother & released (9/13/19).
Court info from 8/23/19 thru 11/23/21 reference post #782 here:

11/29/21 Update: Initial hearing re petition to revoke. Order on 1st & 2nd petition for revocation of probation. Evidentiary hearing is set for 1/14/22 @ 10:30am. Motion filed: Verified Motion to Reduce Bond filed by Sandifur. Order set for hearing on 12/21/21. Motion for continuance re bond hearing. Bond hearing motion for continuance-granted. Originally hearing on 12/21/21 is rescheduled to 12/27/21 @ 10:30am.
1/3/22 Update: Motion to continue violation of probation hearing. Modification hearing originally scheduled on 1/14/22 was rescheduled to 2/15/22 @ 11am. 2/14/22 Update: Motion for Continuance Filed. Motion to continue violation probation hearing by defendant. 2/15/22 Update: Order granting motion for continuance. Next modification hearing on 2/28/22 @ 3:30pm.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pey
Back