GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's 2 news articles that mention the insurance policy. I thought I read a 3rd one that mentioned a larger amount of money if she was murdered, but I haven't come across it recently.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/news/ct-ptb-lindsey-arrest-st-0213-20150212-story.html

"Court documents also showed that Steven Lindsey tried to file a claim to collect on her life insurance policy, which was $1 million, with an additional $100,000 in the event of an accidental death."

http://m.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/center-township-man-charged-in-slaying-of-his-wife/article_141ee1c6-85ec-5613-a8fa-c0b6ee229f69.html?mobile_touch=true

"Police learned Feb. 9 that Lindsey was looking to file a claim on a $1 million life insurance policy on his wife, which included an additional $100,000 coverage in the event of an accidental death."

Trinidad was a friend of Melindas, He paid for the gun for her, along time ago.. the gun was registered. Just some random info.. to answer questions

What caught my attention was a statement from Steven from the article I posted earlier. He stated that she was given the gun, that was used in her murder, from someone named "Trinidad." Was this a registered firearm? I am not familiar with IN gun laws, but where I'm from, when I go register a firearm, I can't be vague. An "Oh, I bought it from Trinidad" wouldn't fly.

It will be interesting at trial these things...Did she ever report being stalked??
There were reports that were made about being stalked. however i want to say steve made them. i could be wrong so dont quote me

and about the Insurance Policy and when it was taken out...I googled the victim...I'm in no way slamming her profession but her picture appears on a Billboard. She herself might have taken out the policy when she was making money to insure her daughter was cared for in the event something happened to her?

the policy was taken out march 2014. Steve did in fact take it out on her and that is also stated in a paper ill have to find it and share the link.. also Melinda stopped dancing about 4 years ago. steve made her, ill find that link as well

It is doubtful Melinda took out the policy when she was still employed. According to the newspaper articles, when she began dating her husband, he insisted that she quit her job, and she did. That was before she had her daughter.

While you are right that anything is possible until he is proven guilty in a court of law, things certainly aren't looking good for her husband.

I remember seeing the conspiracy charge, too. Perhaps the authorities currently lack evidence to press this charge, but if anyone else was involved, I'm sure the prosecution will be all over it.

If there was a stalker, why was the door left unlocked? Wouldn't there be concerns about safety if some lunatic was hanging around and leaving lingerie?

Everything states there was no sign of forced entry. So the intruder either walked in himself through an unlocked door, used a key or Melinda let him in. That would have involved a knock on the door, if that was the case, wouldn't it? And the husband was asleep on the living room couch. The county accessor website shows this home to be about 1500 square feet. It is a ranch style home, so all of this happened in a not very large home and all on the same floor. Doesn't make sense that Melinda would have let in this person and her husband did not wake up, and it doesn't make sense that the door was left unlocked, especially if there was a potentially dangerous stalker out there.

In order to fit with the accused story, I see the options as being the intruder just walked in through an unlocked door, or the intruder had a key and unlocked the door. IMO, this is not what happened, and IMO, she didn't let anyone in. There was no sign of anyone else having been in the house, no sign of a struggle and the child is in her crib and is not crying, disturbed, etc. And the husband is kneeling - was he knocked unconscious in a kneeling position and he stayed that way? It doesn't add up to me.

Hi,

New here. I came to websleuth looking for info on this case. So stunned and wondering why so little info was being reported.
I do not know anyone involved personally, (I was on the same support forum as Stevens ex wife, which is where I first read about this horribly sad, cruel, and ruthless murder).

Imo the husband has classic NPD traits. He made one self entitled choice after another with no regard for who he hurt.

I read the entire facebook profile of the victim before it was removed. It was chilling, in that it clearly demonstrated Melinda was abused by her husband.
That profile painted a picture of an extremely cruel man, and a young woman who was completely obsessed with making their relationship work. The slightest kindness he showed her was celebrated , and she down played some very serious abuse.

<modsnip>

The fact that "someone" had her facebook page deleted, is VERY telling, I believe. There were some absolutely lovely posts, and videos, of Melinda and her baby girl, that would surely be priceless to her loved ones. Only someone with something to hide would have robbed them of those precious memories.

I am convinced her husband killed her. It does not surprise me that he clearly didn't think this through very well. He doesn't appear to possess the ability to gauge consequences of his behavior at all.

I have to wonder how he is explaining the lack of response from his dog... That dog would have been going insane, if this went down the way the husband is claiming. I see no mention of the the dog in any news reports, I wonder where the dog was when the cops arrived. I would be interested to know if the dog was in the house, at the time of the murder. (And if not, WHY not?), Does anyone know? There is just no scenario, that I can visualize, where this could have been a COMPLETELY SILENT, break-in/assault.

I can see the baby not being upset. (Her father was most likely erratic a lot). I can see the call to the brother, but I am not able to see how alleged assailant got a choke hold on the husband without ANY struggle at all?

Thank you all for being here, You guys are THE best, at what you do. There's so much I'd like to learn from everyone!

If there was a stalker, why was the door left unlocked? Wouldn't there be concerns about safety if some lunatic was hanging around and leaving lingerie?

Everything states there was no sign of forced entry. So the intruder either walked in himself through an unlocked door, used a key or Melinda let him in. That would have involved a knock on the door, if that was the case, wouldn't it? And the husband was asleep on the living room couch. The county accessor website shows this home to be about 1500 square feet. It is a ranch style home, so all of this happened in a not very large home and all on the same floor. Doesn't make sense that Melinda would have let in this person and her husband did not wake up, and it doesn't make sense that the door was left unlocked, especially if there was a potentially dangerous stalker out there.

In order to fit with the accused story, I see the options as being the intruder just walked in through an unlocked door, or the intruder had a key and unlocked the door. IMO, this is not what happened, and IMO, she didn't let anyone in. There was no sign of anyone else having been in the house, no sign of a struggle and the child is in her crib and is not crying, disturbed, etc. And the husband is kneeling - was he knocked unconscious in a kneeling position and he stayed that way? It doesn't add up to me.
One of the news reports stated that she was found in her bed. That tells me that she did not get up to answer the door, nor did she wake up while her husband was attacked, choked unconscious, and dragged from room to room. My hope and belief is that she was shot in her bed, never regained consciousness, didn't suffer, and died without ever knowing what happened.

One of the news reports stated that she was found in her bed. That tells me that she did not get up to answer the door, nor did she wake up while her husband was attacked, choked unconscious, and dragged from room to room. My hope and belief is that she was shot in her bed, never regained consciousness, didn't suffer, and died without ever knowing what happened.

Me too.

This is also another indication of no intruder. Most mother's with young children wake up at the slightest peep. According to Steven Lindsey's statement, he was choked unconscience, picked up by his neck, dragged into daughter's room and woke up hearing the gunshot. And yes, according to reports, Melinda was found in bed. So if we are to believe his story, we also have to believe that Melinda slept right through the intruder coming into her home and attacking her husband. Not likely. JMO.

I can't imagine if someone came into your home and grabbed you from behind; choking you, you wouldn't put up one hell of a fight. Especially with your wife and young child in the house. You would at least yell.

Reading some of the news article....
According to court documents, Steven Lindsey moved in with his brother five or six weeks before his wife's death, and Melinda Lindsey had threatened to leave her husband because he wasn't working. Steven Lindsey told police they talked about divorce when he left to stay with his brother. Steven Lindsey also told police the couple fought about money.
Everyone is talking about the dog...is it possible he took the dog with him when he moved out??So, he's been gone six weeks.....is it possible someone else enter the house with a key and saw Steve on the couch and became angry that he was there...possibly knew she had a gun and where she kept it??It's obvious most of you know him...I'm just the outsider here throwing out different scenarios that a Juror might take into account.

Anything is possible.

But she had to sleep through this attack. And Steve Lindsey did have gunshot residue on his hands

Anything is possible.

But she had to sleep through this attack. And Steve Lindsey did have gunshot residue on his hands

Gunshot residue, no marks on him after he was supposedly choked unconscious - and a million dollar insurance policy he tried to collect on three weeks after her death.

How do you know he had no marks on him?? I'm curious about that statement you all keep making..Do you know that for a fact ??.The gunshot residue could have been transfered.Maybe after he was unconcious the person may have murdered the victim and then decided to zip tie the accussed...still waiting to see who actually took out that huge life insurance policy...3 weeks after her murder and he still wasn't arrested yet,was he??...I don't think thats unusual to try and collect on the Life Insurance...if it was a week I might question that....How long is a normal amount of time to inquire about Life Insurance? My son in-law inquired when my step daughter passed away a few days after...of course she wasn't murdered but still...who determines the right time ??

Thanks, I guess that articles explains what I have been asking...

Somehow I missed where he lied to police about he & Melinda arguing & or having problems. His brother & sister told the police the truth on that one. That's another red flag.

I don't think thats unusual to try and collect on the Life Insurance...if it was a week I might question that....How long is a normal amount of time to inquire about Life Insurance? My son in-law inquired when my step daughter passed away a few days after...of course she wasn't murdered but still...who determines the right time ??
I was thinking the same thing. I don't see trying to collect on the life insurance policy as any kind of "proof of guilt". Setting up a policy on Melinda is HUGE as far as M.O. but I think even normal, innocent people would collect that money in their time of need. That's what its for. Especially if they had reason to believe they were going to be "falsely"accused of a murder they didn't commit. They would need a ton of money quickly.

Reading some of the news article....Everyone is talking about the dog...is it possible he took the dog with him when he moved out??So, he's been gone six weeks.....is it possible someone else enter the house with a key and saw Steve on the couch and became angry that he was there...possibly knew she had a gun and where she kept it??It's obvious most of you know him...I'm just the outsider here throwing out different scenarios that a Juror might take into account.

Sighs idk if I'll get in Trouble for this, however there were 3 dogs in the home 2 big and one small, cowboy a large mix (aggressive) Mosley a malamute and evil a small dog..

All 3 dogs where at the house when this happened.

#JusticeForMelinda

Sighs idk if I'll get in Trouble for this, however there were 3 dogs in the home 2 big and one small, cowboy a large mix (aggressive) Mosley a malamute and evil a small dog..

All 3 dogs where at the house when this happened.

#JusticeForMelinda
Do you know where the dogs are now? Just hoping they're with people who will care for them, and not in some shelter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1