GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder about this too. The only thing I can think of, is could they have possibly factored in the amount of money Melinda could have been worth, in her chosen profession as an exotic dancer? She was so lovely, and there is potential to earn HUGE bank in that industry.

I agree she had the ability to make huge amounts of money,

Wouldn't she have had to be actually working in the business at the time the policy was issued in order to be insured as though you are?

I agree she had the ability to make huge amounts of money,

Wouldn't she have had to be actually working in the business at the time the policy was issued in order to be insured as though you are?

I'm not really sure about that. I just figured it might work like any other insurance, (unemployment ect..), where they go by what you were making in the past, or have the potential to make...

I wonder about this too. The only thing I can think of, is could they have possibly factored in the amount of money Melinda could have been worth, in her chosen profession as an exotic dancer? She was so lovely, and there is potential to earn HUGE bank in that industry.
Except she wasn't working. According to SetHerSoulFree, Steve made her quit. She wouldn't have been working while pregnant with Baby Girl in any case, and nothing in her FB posts indicates when or even if she going back.
And while I got out of the insurance industry a while ago, I don't remember EVER being able to insure someone based on what they could be earning, only what they were earning at that time. The face value is what makes me think this was a term plan. She was so young, a 1,00,000 plan would have been affordable. What I DONT get is why there weren't any red flags raised when the actual wage earner wasn't insured.
This is what makes me hope the agent that sold them that plan is being looked at. It doesn't make any sense to insure a stay at home parent for that amount, but not the main bread winner. I could be wrong about this as laws vary from state to state and I was never licensed in Indiana.
I suppose it is always possible that she lied to the agent and said she was working, but usually they are supposed to ask for proof, ie tax returns to substantiate the stated income.

I'm not really sure about that. I just figured it might work like any other insurance, (unemployment ect..), where they go by what you were making in the past, or have the potential to make...

At 23 years of age, a $1 million policy would be fairly inexpensive and easy to obtain, which is why states enacted slayer statutes. Melinda was a stay-at-home mom so if something happened to her, then her husband would be saddled with the additional costs of daycare, which can be expensive especially if the father travels.

JMO

At 23 years of age, a $1 million policy would be fairly inexpensive and easy to obtain, which is why states enacted slayer statutes. Melinda was a stay-at-home mom so if something happened to her, then her husband would be saddled with the additional costs of daycare, which can be expensive especially if the father travels.

JMO
But why just her? Why not insure him as well. If the working parent dies, the stay at home parent loses the income, has to go back to work (potentially) and is saddled with everything you mentioned.

Except she wasn't working. According to SetHerSoulFree, Steve made her quit. She wouldn't have been working while pregnant with Baby Girl in any case, and nothing in her FB posts indicates when or even if she going back.
And while I got out of the insurance industry a while ago, I don't remember EVER being able to insure someone based on what they could be earning, only what they were earning at that time. The face value is what makes me think this was a term plan. She was so young, a 1,00,000 plan would have been affordable. What I DONT get is why there weren't any red flags raised when the actual wage earner wasn't insured.
This is what makes me hope the agent that sold them that plan is being looked at. It doesn't make any sense to insure a stay at home parent for that amount, but not the main bread winner. I could be wrong about this as laws vary from state to state and I was never licensed in Indiana.
I suppose it is always possible that she lied to the agent and said she was working, but usually they are supposed to ask for proof, ie tax returns to substantiate the stated income.

Do we know for certain that SL had no life insurance? He may have had a policy with his employer.

Do we know for certain that SL had no life insurance? He may have had a policy with his employer.
I want to say we know he didn't. I believe it was brought up earlier by SetHerSoulFree that he wasn't insured, at least not through his employer because Melinda was threatening to leave him because he wasn't working.
He may have had his own policy, but wouldn't it be less expensive to merge them? Unless he had developed major health risks, that is.

But why just her? Why not insure him as well. If the working parent dies, the stay at home parent loses the income, has to go back to work (potentially) and is saddled with everything you mentioned.

Do we know if Steve was insured? I don't recall ever reading if it was known that he was, or wasn't insured...

From what I understand, Steve was laid off from his job. Which would be that he wasn't working, but still has benefits from work.

Yes and SetHerSoulFree said he wasn't employed.

starshine claims he was employed in a managerial position, I believe. ( I find myself skeptical, in light of his obvious problems with his executive functioning).

From what I understand, Steve was laid off from his job. Which would be that he wasn't working, but still has benefits from work.
I thought that meant he would have to pay for whatever benefits he had out of his own pocket.

starshine claims he was employed in a managerial position, I believe.
She did, in a post that was deleted. SetHerSoulFree stated Melinda was threatening to leave him because he wasn't working...
I suppose it will all come out in the trial.

starshine claims he was employed in a managerial position, I believe. ( I find myself skeptical, in light of his obvious problems with his executive functioning).

I am very skeptical. The man couldn't keep a decent job. He was terminated from a good job because he wouldn't complete his employer-mandated substance abuse treatment but he was employed in a managerial position? Then there's the court documents that state:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...tb-lindsey-arrest-st-0213-20150212-story.html
"According to court documents, Steven Lindsey moved in with his brother five or six weeks before his wife's death, and Melinda Lindsey had threatened to leave her husband because he wasn't working. Steven Lindsey told police they talked about divorce when he left to stay with his brother. Steven Lindsey also told police the couple fought about money."

JMO

I'm not an expert, but I did look at a few sources on the recommended level of life insurance for a stay-at-home mom. It ranges from $350,000 to $450,000 which would cover the surviving spouse's expenses to replace the services she provides, which is valued at $35,000 to $45,000 a year.

I would think that the insurance agent that wrote this policy is under some sort of scrutiny from the company, it seems very unethical to insure a 23 year old housewife for that much.

I think that it is safe to say that SL will never see a penny of this money.

I hope that the insurance company has to pay the policy, to baby girl and Melinda's family, they allowed the policy to be issued so therefor they should pay. I don't think Melinda realized that an insurance policy was in reality a death warrant.

I believe Molly1255 said in a previous post, that the agent would not have had the power to approve the life insurance application. An underwriter at the insurance company had to review the application and made the determination to issue the policy. As a result, heads are probably rolling in the underwriting department.

Like you, I'm sure SL will not see a penny of the money. My hope is that a payout is made to the little girl. I know money will not bring her mother back, but it would provide her with an education and possibly other opportunities in life.

Here's the post on SL employment

No, I'm not saying SL was never fired from a job. The incident everyone is speaking of happened over a year ago, and it has been greatly exaggerated. He had since been hired by another company. As the life of a lineman goes, many jobs are in other states. For reasons I won't/can't go into, Melinda did not want SL to travel to other states to work. That did leave some down time when the only jobs available were out of state.

I believe Molly1255 said in a previous post, that the agent would not have had the power to approve the life insurance application. An underwriter at the insurance company had to review the application and made the determination to issue the policy. As a result, heads are probably rolling in the underwriting department.

Like you, I'm sure SL will not see a penny of the money. My hope is that a payout is made to the little girl. I know money will not bring her mother back, but it would provide her with an education and possibly other opportunities in life.
It is up to the underwriting dept, but the agent still has to sign the application. IMO, and again laws vary by state, the agent is the first line of defense against fraud. We were always trained to be on the lookout for anything suspicious. Melinda's policy would have triggered all kinds of alarm bells with the companies I used to work for.

No, I'm not saying SL was never fired from a job. The incident everyone is speaking of happened over a year ago, and it has been greatly exaggerated. He had since been hired by another company. As the life of a lineman goes, many jobs are in other states. For reasons I won't/can't go into, Melinda did not want SL to travel to other states to work. That did leave some down time when the only jobs available were out of state.
Who wants to bet the reason Melinda didn't want him traveling involved another woman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlyingHorses4