GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposedly Steve wasn't arrested yet when he went to claim the money.I believe I read he wasn't arrested until a month after the murder...?? We do not know do we who Melinda named on her Insurance Policy...my guess is that any Insurance Policy money would go in a trust for her little girl.

We must remember that it was the insurance company that contacted the police to say that SL was trying to claim on the policy. So in other words the insurance investigators didn't buy SL story either. If SL wasn't named as the beneficiary then why was he trying to claim the insurance? Really classless to claim on a policy when you never provided a memorial service,just my opinion.

If I get a chance today I'll go over this thread because I'm pretty sure that I read that SL took out the policy, and Melinda made a comment about how much she is worth

I wondered when she begged her dad for help...I think I ask that question...the day before, the week before,when was that message sent to her dad?I hope this is OK to say and I mean no offense but I told you I do my research...from what I saw on a well known social outlet...her Dad wouldn't be someone I would mess with when it came to his daughter...In other words...why didn't someone come to her rescue ? If my daughters or son was posting things on Facebook for me to see and said any of these things...I'm being kept Isolated...you can bet I'd be on it.....whats not NORMAL to me is that no one came to her rescue...I hope I worded that right so no one takes offense at what I say...I'm just saying what is normal for me and how I would re-act in this circumstance.We all handle things differently.

I think that last sentence is right. I have a distant family member who is in (at least) an emotionally abusive relationship. She has, in the past, had restraining orders against her SO, but has since 'reconciled'. The recent difficulties have come to light via facebook posts. Her parents and other family members are trying to talk to her and give her ways out of the relationship, but she's hanging up on them and digging her heels in and staying put. Everyone is having conversations about what can we do ... who can we refer her to if she won't listen to us etc., how can we get her and her daughter out of this situation? Unfortunately, she is an adult and if she refuses to take people up on help there is little we can do until someone is hurt.

I'm not saying that Melinda was of the same won't-take-people-up-on-help mind frame. But it seems that at one moment some women in an abusive situation ask for help and the next moment they're rejecting the help they just asked for. So it may be that what ML was telling others and asking from others changed from moment to moment. (Not a condemnation - just what it seems to be a somewhat common pattern of behavior in women who are in abusive relationships. I certainly don't know for sure, but from the little that we have seen on FB posts etc, it seems that may have been true of the relationship between SL and ML.)

I'm certainly not giving the close relative of the accussed more credence...I do give her credit for coming on here and posting what she can or knows about this.The odds on here to be honest are overwhelmingly on the victim's family side, I'd say.

Is it a fact he didn't hold a service? It could have been done privately.That is not unusual in cases of murder or suicide...I think I did post a Funeral service her family held...I found it online...Wouldn't you have gone to that one anyway ??

If he did hold a "private" funeral, he didn't bother to invite her mother, father, sisters, grandparents, etc. He had her CREMATED without consulting with her family.

How soon is soon to claim an insurance policy...?? Usually in cases such as this Steve's attorney would advise him I would think...Maybe he needed the money to pay for his Defense,the care of his daughter etc....wasn't it stated on here that Melinda took out this Insurance policy ?? For all we know if that was the case he may not have known about the policy until after her murder...

I think someone already said, you can't use your dead wife's life insurance money to pay for your defense in murdering her. He KNEW about the policy. He BOUGHT the policy.

How many times in a marriage that is going south do we threaten divorce, move out, kick out,and go back together....from personal experience..I filed 3 times for divorce...I got pregnant with my 3rd. child...so, I stayed another two years...Maybe Melinda and Steve went back together since she was pregnant as some have said on here...
This was obviously more than a few spats.

Supposedly Steve wasn't arrested yet when he went to claim the money.I believe I read he wasn't arrested until a month after the murder...?? We do not know do we who Melinda named on her Insurance Policy...my guess is that any Insurance Policy money would go in a trust for her little girl.

Where did you get this information that Melinda bought this policy? Where was that ever reported?

I agree that Steve's family member is telling the truth as she knows it. However, the info comes from Steve. It is my opinion that he told his family he had a job as a supervisor. It is also my opinion that that is not true.

And *IF* they did go on this cruise, it doesn't go to show what a great guy Steve Lindsey is and how much he loved his wife. It goes to show that he's a , a manipulator and a dead-beat dad. The money should have went to pay his back child support. And in order to go on this *cruise* he forced his wife to hide the fact they went to keep his ex-wife from getting upset. It just shows more lying, more manipulation and scheming on Steve Lindsey's part. What a creep.

Here is what has been established per all the newspaper reports and verified insiders:

On 1/16 6:00 am police respond to 911 call reporting shots fired;
Upon entering the house they find SL kneeling with his hands tied up behind his back in Baby Girl's room.
Police locate Melinda alive gasping for breath in bed with a gunshot wound to her head.
She is transported to the hospital and pronounced dead at 8:00 am or so.
SL states an intruder choked him out on the couch, and he was brought back to consciousness in his daughter's room when he heard a gunshot.
SL states the intruder took his wife into the bedroom
SL states he hasn't fired fired a gun recently
SL states he had moved out 5 weeks earlier
SL states he was living with his brother
SL states he and Melinda fought about money
SL states there was talk of divorce
Police notice NO SIGN OF FORCED ENTRY AT FRONT DOOR
Police notice NO SIGN OF FOOTPRINTS LEADING UP TO THE HOUSE ANYWHERE
Police notice NO BRUISING OR LACERATIONS OR LIGATURE MARKS ON SL'S NECK
SL states he has NO NECK PAIN but his hands are numb
SL CANNOT RECREATE HOW HE CALLED 911 WITH HIS HANDS BOUND
SL NEVER ASK ABOUT HIS WIFE
SL TESTED POSITIVE for gunshot residue

Melinda's Facebook page is deactivated after incriminating posts about SL are referenced in an online blog. The online blog is also deleted.

SL has melinda cremated against her wishes and and against her family's wishes
On Jan 30 Melinda's family have a memorial service. SL is not listed as surviving her. This is the only obituary or reported service for her.

On Feb 9 SL tries to file a claim against the $1,000,000 life insurance policy which included an additional accidental death benefit of $100,000.

On Feb 12, SL is arrested for murder. Nowhere could I find a newspaper or any other media mentioning conspiracy.

On Feb 13, SL pleads not guilty.

Since then the following has to come to light:

Melinda texted her father for help days before her death
There may or may not be a policy on Baby Girl
There may or may not be video of SL at gas station at 5:00 am 1/16
There may or may not have been a cruise in November.
There may or may not have been a stalker. The only reference to the stalker comes from SL and his family.
Melinda was pregnant at the time of her death.

In my opinion SL is guilty. Whenever a spouse is killed, police focus on the surviving spouse or who is closest to the vicitim. Who benefits from Melinda's death? Her husband.
He had a double financial motive in that he owed money and Melinda was pregnant again. Three kids and two wives are hard to support without a steady income.

It is my belief that on that morning he drove to the house. He shot her sometime before calling 911. He appears to be arrogant and narcissistic enough to assume his story would be believed. I think they argued about money, about her pregnancy, and he was psychologically abusing her. Anyone who read her FB posts would agree.

I agree with your comment about the cruise. It does not indicate a kindness to Melinda if it was done at the expense of paying his child support to his first child. That is irresponsible and selfish on his part. And assuming they went, Melinda was not given the joy of sharing her anticipation of this family vacation or sharing her photos and experiences afterwards. That is all part of the fun, and she was denied that because he chose to do this before paying his back child support. I suspect he wanted a vacation, and took it no matter who he inconvenienced. Sounds just like the man who we have been reading about.

I think that SL's verified family member is honestly retelling the story that SL has told his family members. However, I think that the story SL has told his family members holds no resemblance to what actually occurred. Based upon the information found in this thread, it appears that the accused has a long history of lying. So much of his story just sounds so unreasonable that I just cannot buy it. Of course, that is my opinion only.
I do have faith that the proper authorities will ferret out the truth and ultimately justice will prevail.

Thank you. Basically it's a knucklehead who duped a young woman (while he was married to another woman, mind you), told countless lies to her and murdered her. Case closed, goodbye SL and enjoy prison.:jail:

Here is what has been established per all the newspaper reports and verified insiders:

Edit for length

It is my belief that on that morning he drove to the house. He shot her sometime before calling 911. He appears to be arrogant and narcissistic enough to assume his story would be believed. I think they argued about money, about her pregnancy, and he was psychologically abusing her. Anyone who read her FB posts would agree.
You forgot to mention that she was shot with her own gun. That to me is one of the most damning circumstances about this case. We're supposed to believe that this alleged stalker waltzed into the house through the unlocked front door, subdued Steve, located Melinda's gun, and shot her with it - all without waking Melinda? No. Just no.

Steve's Verified family member says there was a crusie...pictures on Melinda's phone...I'm sure the police have her phone and the truth if they did or did not take a crusie is there......When was the supposed call for help call made to Melinda's Dad ? The other Verified member on here who knows Melinda's Dad should have the answer to that ...When did that happen...A year ago? The Day before the murder ? When? I think that would be an important piece of evidence...people have arguments...not everyone likes their in-laws or out-laws as I like to call some I've had...and they don't want their child around them...this is pure speculations on my part...and the reason I even say it is because I had a X DIL who kept my grandkids away from me for 3 years...for my son to appease her he stayed away too...THANKFULLY, he divorced her,not because of that though...I'm only sharing that because its possible Steve didn't like his In-Laws...Not saying they aren't good decent people...I think I am, but my XDIL didn't like me for whatever her reason was...Maybe thats the case here...

On 1/16 6:00 am police respond to 911 call reporting shots fired;
Upon entering the house they find SL kneeling with his hands tied up behind his back in Baby Girl's room.
Police locate Melinda alive gasping for breath in bed with a gunshot wound to her head.
She is transported to the hospital and pronounced dead at 8:00 am or so.
SL states an intruder choked him out on the couch, and he was brought back to consciousness in his daughter's room when he heard a gunshot.
SL states the intruder took his wife into the bedroom
SL states he hasn't fired fired a gun recently
SL states he had moved out 5 weeks earlier
SL states he was living with his brother
SL states he and Melinda fought about money
SL states there was talk of divorce
Police notice NO SIGN OF FORCED ENTRY AT FRONT DOOR
Police notice NO SIGN OF FOOTPRINTS LEADING UP TO THE HOUSE ANYWHERE
Police notice NO BRUISING OR LACERATIONS OR LIGATURE MARKS ON SL'S NECK
SL states he has NO NECK PAIN but his hands are numb
SL CANNOT RECREATE HOW HE CALLED 911 WITH HIS HANDS BOUND
SL NEVER ASK ABOUT HIS WIFE
SL TESTED POSITIVE for gunshot residue

Melinda's Facebook page is deactivated after incriminating posts about SL are referenced in an online blog. The online blog is also deleted.

SL has melinda cremated against her wishes and and against her family's wishes
On Jan 30 Melinda's family have a memorial service. SL is not listed as surviving her. This is the only obituary or reported service for her.

On Feb 9 SL tries to file a claim against the $1,000,000 life insurance policy which included an additional accidental death benefit of $100,000.

On Feb 12, SL is arrested for murder. Nowhere could I find a newspaper or any other media mentioning conspiracy.

On Feb 13, SL pleads not guilty.

Since then the following has to come to light:

Melinda texted her father for help days before her death
There may or may not be a policy on Baby Girl
There may or may not be video of SL at gas station at 5:00 am 1/16
There may or may not have been a cruise in November.
There may or may not have been a stalker. The only reference to the stalker comes from SL and his family.
Melinda was pregnant at the time of her death.

In my opinion SL is guilty. Whenever a spouse is killed, police focus on the surviving spouse or who is closest to the vicitim. Who benefits from Melinda's death? Her husband.
He had a double financial motive in that he owed money and Melinda was pregnant again. Three kids and two wives are hard to support without a steady income.

Thank you for posting facts as you know them...that took some time to do and what I call Sleuthing....

If he did by some chance move out NO ONE KNEW about it at all!!

Um idk why he would tell them that, maybe he thought I would look better on him? However he didn't think that one through very well

#JusticeForMelinda

I just found this thread and am behind all of you guys still and have seen this question asked repeatedly......so if a reply to this has been posted already...my apologies to all.

Just seems to be logical to me that by Steve claiming he had moved out for the preceding 6 weeks ...he might have been trying to set up a stronger story about the stalker breaking in (because if someone actually was stalking Melinda....they would naturally have become braver and might have made their move once they noticed she was living alone)

just my two cents

I just found this thread and am behind all of you guys still and have seen this question asked repeatedly......so if a reply to this has been posted already...my apologies to all.

Just seems to be logical to me that by Steve claiming he had moved out for the preceding 6 weeks ...he might have been trying to set up a stronger story about the stalker breaking in (because if someone actually was stalking Melinda....they would naturally have become braver and might have made their move once they noticed she was living alone)

just my two cents
I think this makes a lot of sense.

We must remember that it was the insurance company that contacted the police to say that SL was trying to claim on the policy. So in other words the insurance investigators didn't buy SL story either. If SL wasn't named as the beneficiary then why was he trying to claim the insurance? Really classless to claim on a policy when you never provided a memorial service,just my opinion.

If I get a chance today I'll go over this thread because I'm pretty sure that I read that SL took out the policy, and Melinda made a comment about how much she is worth

You are correct. I remember reading that she said she was worth more dead than alive.

You forgot to mention that she was shot with her own gun. That to me is one of the most damning circumstances about this case. We're supposed to believe that this alleged stalker waltzed into the house through the unlocked front door, subdued Steve, located Melinda's gun, and shot her with it - all without waking Melinda? No. Just no.
Yes, and the dogs as well. She slept through the entire assault on SL, and apparently all three dogs and Baby Girl did too.

Here are a few more questions I have.
I wonder if the gunshot woke Baby Girl. If she was calm when LE arrived, where did SL's call originate from? Every report I've read said he was screaming on the 911 call. If he was in Baby Girl's room screaming wouldn't that have woken her up and upset her as well? So what room did he call from?
If the gunshot didn't wake her up, does it help the theory that Melinda was shot earlier than 6:00 am? SL would have had time to calm her down a bit.
What on earth was he doing kneeling? That doesn't make any sense at all. If he could get to his knees, why not his feet?
And lastly as has been brought up before, why would his attacker leave the cell phone where SL could get to it?

Yes, and the dogs as well. She slept through the entire assault on SL, and apparently all three dogs and Baby Girl did too.

Here are a few more questions I have.
I wonder if the gunshot woke Baby Girl. If she was calm when LE arrived, where did SL's call originate from? Every report I've read said he was screaming on the 911 call. If he was in Baby Girl's room screaming wouldn't that have woken her up and upset her as well? So what room did he call from?
If the gunshot didn't wake her up, does it help the theory that Melinda was shot earlier than 6:00 am? SL would have had time to calm her down a bit.
What on earth was he doing kneeling? That doesn't make any sense at all. If he could get to his knees, why not his feet?
And lastly as has been brought up before, why would his attacker leave the cell phone where SL could get to it?

Maybe his daughter was used to hear her father screaming and carrying on. That could explain why she was calm. About the kneeling and the cell phone, it doesn't make any sense at all. They are certainly two elements that make this case bizarre.

I don't think it would be easy to keep a baby calm during all of this commotion, even if she's used to SL being anything but calm. When parents argue kids often cry...even older kids. Dad being hysterical (in her room) I'm sure would be most upsetting. I like your thoughts on this. He possibly made his screaming/upset 911 calls out of earshot of the baby. And I'm unsure if they can tell when she was shot. She was still alive when the medics arrived. Time of death is traceable, maybe it's not as easy to tell when wounds occur?

Yes, the kneeling makes zero sense. Most men would RUN to their wife's side. Or, if afraid as he states, stand up to be near the baby (who was standing in her crib when police arrived)

Another curiosity I have. He said they/he? took Melinda to the bedroom. Why? Why just not shoot here right where she was located? (and SL doesn't mention where that is). And if there is no sign of Steve fighting to be dragged to baby's room, same is true of Melinda, no fighting assumed. And of course those lazy dogs just slept through this. Even if we assume an intruder, and assume the intruder was known to the dogs, they would not allow such violence happen to their masters without a few bits taken out of them.

When I refer to the "phantom" intruder(s), I never know to call them "him" or "them". Doesn't matter really, they/he are fictional.

Time of death is traceable, maybe it's not as easy to tell when wounds occur?
Or maybe the police have simply chosen not to release that detail. We know what time the call came in, but nothing about the time of the attack.

Absolutely. Even though we have a lot of information here, I"m sure the police have loads more information. They spent almost a month collecting information before the arrest.

If he was woke up to the intruder choking him, then didn't come too until after gun shot, when he was in babies room, there is no way he saw Melinda being taken into the bedroom. Some how I had missed the sentence that said he seen Melinda taken to the bedroom, if he saw her taken to the bedroom then why doesn't he know how many intruders there were

There are so many holes in his stories, have to wait for trial to hear the truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper